shape
carat
color
clarity

Red spinel melee, setting/design advice?

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
I would love suggestions/input for setting some red Burma spinel melee I got from Dana at MastercutGems.

I've got about 50 rounds in sizes from 1.8-2.8mm and they are super bright and sparkly. A couple are more pink when shown next to the others but I would only really be able to tell by comparison. (Bad iphone pic attached; the other box is 3mm white sapphire brilliant cut rounds.)

IMG_7046.JPG

My initial thought was a set of 3 stacking bands in YG (outer) and WG (middle) that could be worn separately or alone. The YG bands would be more simple, prob 2-3mm wide, and the WG more complex and larger, maybe 5mm wide? Here is a pic of the general stack I'm thinking about (got it off the internet and do not know which seller it was from, please let me know if it is a PSer's and I'll attribute correctly!)

IMG_6914.PNG

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
For the YG bands I would probably go 18k for the contrast with WG; I tend to like designs like this (pics from Anna Sheffield and JbG) with geometric lines.
IMG_6970.PNG
IMG_6969.PNG

IMG_7177.PNG

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
1st idea for the WG band is kind of like Herzog & de Meuron's Nest building (beijing olympic stadium). I am not even sure if this is possible, but here goes:

More inspiration from the Chopard Imperiale double-layered ring and this geometric ring, and a band from Doron Merav on Etsy.

Basically, if the geometric ring could be shrunk to a consistent width, then with 2 layers (like the interior of the Chopard), that is the effect I am going for. Not sure if any melee should be incorporated into such a busy design. Maybe one layer could be polished and the other matte to highlight the layers more?
IMG_7050.PNG
IMG_7047.PNG
IMG_7049.PNG
IMG_7331.PNG

Last edited:

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
And the other idea (much simpler) for the WG ring would be something Celtic-inspired like this, with the red spinel melee.
From Ardonn on etsy:
IMG_7332.PNG

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Is it too much? Are there technical challenges I should be looking out for? Worth it to do this as a custom project or should I just settle for pieces that are already available?

I know it's a lot of finger coverage (I am a size 5) and I would probably end up combining the bands on different hands/fingers for a more everyday look, with the option to stack on 1 finger for more bling.

My style is kind of modern classic with a twist-- I love subtle details that may not be evident from across the room but I can appreciate up close. Since I never got class rings, and my undergrad and grad school colors are red and gold, and red and white respectively, I figured this could be my grownup version.

Appreciate any additional inspiration pics and any feedback!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love stackable bands and that red melee is gorgeous! :kiss2:
How were you thinking of incorporating the spinel melee? Just here and there or as the majority?

What if you did some red in the floral band (minimal) and then had more red in the outside bands.

IMG_1857.jpg
I like the bottom band here with the round bezel stones. I think that would be a great spot for the spinel melee and you could keep the rest of the band plain gold.
IMG_1858.jpg
More cool bands
IMG_1859.jpg

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the delish inspiration, @elle_71125 !

Because the melee are slightly different sizes, I thought I would use them more as accents to de-emphasize the difference. But I love the options you came up with, that highlight the differences.

Originally I didn't have a floral band in mind (more just showing how all the 3 bands would stack together) but now I'm tempted to do one.

I love all the bezel options, particularly the first one you posted! Esp if I had a more geometric inside band it would be a nice contrast. Do you think they would work ok together and not rub too much?

I like the color of 18k yg for the contrast against wg but have no experience with how it would wear.

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Here are some others I liked, but wasn't sure how they would play well in a stack with more geometric shapes.

Can you tell I have waaaay too much time on my hands right now? or rather, procrastinating doing work is more like it. :twisted:

IMG_7335.PNG
IMG_7333.PNG
IMG_7336.PNG

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This sounds like an amazing project :dance:. I am really excited to see what you come up with!

I have been looking at the smtb stacking band threads and thought this one looked really delicate.

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
This sounds like an amazing project :dance:. I am really excited to see what you come up with!

I have been looking at the smtb stacking band threads and thought this one looked really delicate.

Thanks for the inspiration! I hadn't seen EvangelineG's band before and I really like the subtle curves as well as the engraving!

And silly me, I'd been staying in CS and I forgot about SMTB, and now have reacquainted myself with it-- by gorging myself on a bunch of stacker threads. :dance: There goes my weekend!

DK does great work in a variety of styles so I would probably go to him for this project... any others I should get quotes from?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lol, when I wrote that I did wonder if I was being helpful or a source of trouble! But I am super excited for your project, and the smtb threads are really lovely.

I am afraid I don't really know who to approach in the US, as I actually live in S.E. Asia :D. But I think DK would have been my top pick anyway, as I would have wanted to make sure the pave work was extremely secure (the little red melee are so bright and lively, they would be a nightmare to replace. I guess I would want the bench most picky PSers recommended, and even then I would want to keep a couple of lose stones for emergencies).

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Lol, when I wrote that I did wonder if I was being helpful or a source of trouble! But I am super excited for your project, and the smtb threads are really lovely.

I am afraid I don't really know who to approach in the US, as I actually live in S.E. Asia :D. But I think DK would have been my top pick anyway, as I would have wanted to make sure the pave work was extremely secure (the little red melee are so bright and lively, they would be a nightmare to replace. I guess I would want the bench most picky PSers recommended, and even then I would want to keep a couple of lose stones for emergencies).

Thank you! And excellent point about keeping extras, I think they will be really tough to match if I don't keep some in reserve.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For rare melees, I have spares in case something happens, but not for diamond or the more common melees.

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @chrono! Really great point. I am now envisioning all the extra gorgeous "colored sprinkles" from your incredible paraiba ring throwing off all their sparkles in your jewelry box. :lickout:

For some reason I am really drawn to the possibilities of a set of melee, sometimes moreso than a bigger, single gem. I guess I'm kind of odd like that... but it is more helpful to my pocketbook!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Note that setting melees are expensive and can cost the equivalent of a single larger gem.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Note that setting melees are expensive and can cost the equivalent of a single larger gem.

Not to discourage you, but I'm with Chrono on that.

That said, all the best for the project and enjoy the journey!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to discourage you, but I'm with Chrono on that.

That said, all the best for the project and enjoy the journey!

oh bugger I did not know that!!!! Is it not like setting tiny diamonds?

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Wow that is so helpful to know! Good for me to reset expectations before getting quotes. Thank you for the heads up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results