shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel - How terrible of an idea is this?

cocoa_and_mittens

Rough_Rock
Hi all - first time poster and *very* new to colored stones. I’m looking for an everyday ring and was expecting the search to take me a few months. The problem is I have unexpectedly fallen in love with a spinel ring. I know very little about spinels, but I can’t stop thinking about it. Now, there’s barely any real sparkle and many visible inclusions - but that’s what I love about it (a colored stone with lots of sparkle is too flashy for daily wear for me). It’s 4.5ct and about 12k from a very high end jewelry brand.

Now, how terrible of an idea is this? Do the inclusions make the stone more prone to breakage and unsafe for daily wear? Never thought I’d buy a preset ring - what is the significance of that re: pricing? I assume it’s quite overpriced, but where else would I find rough/old cuts (if that’s a term) sapphires or spinels that don’t focus on the sparkle? Is there a particular designer? I’m way to inexperienced at this to embark on trying to source the stone on my own. Thanks so much in advance!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, your description sounds lovely! Do you have any pictures to show? Spinels are not as hard as diamonds, so for every-day wear on your hand (engagement ring) it could over time get facet abrasions, chips, etc. But generally, spinels are not as $$$ as diamonds, so if you have to replace one every 10-20 years, it might not be too big an outlay.

But, yah, we just really want to see pictures :)

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
The style of the ring and craftsmanship looks gorgeous, but my honest feeling is that you will become dissatisfied with the centre stone as you learn more about coloured stones. 12K? Personally, I would wait. My advice would be different if you had been actively searching for months and this was the first thing that spoke to you, but seeing as you're new to CS, IMO hold your horses and take time to hone your tastes first :)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Here we go! Hope it helps get an idea. 644019CF-8BF4-495D-A4D3-5C9E846494E2.jpeg

Is this from Jupiter Gem? The only thing that would be of concern is whether the inclusions effect integrity. There can be inclusions, like needles/negative crystals/clouds that aren't usually worrisome or fractures/feathers or cavities that can be depending on severity and location. They need to be plotted/pointed out to you. Does it have a report? Spinels are becoming very expensive now, so 12k isn't that crazy of a price for this ring, retail.

cocoa_and_mittens

Rough_Rock
Is this from Jupiter Gem? The only thing that would be of concern is whether the inclusions effect integrity. There can be inclusions, like needles/negative crystals/clouds that aren't usually worrisome or fractures/feathers or cavities that can be depending on severity and location. They need to be plotted/pointed out to you. Does it have a report? Spinels are becoming very expensive now, so 12k isn't that crazy of a price for this ring, retail.

Hi! It’s not from Jupiter Gem - it’s from a fairly high end shop in NYC (sorry, not sure what the rules are for posting pics and listing the place). I’ve bought diamond jewelry from them before, and I’ve been very happy. I’m asking for the report, and will see what they say re: types of inclusions.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! It’s not from Jupiter Gem - it’s from a fairly high end shop in NYC (sorry, not sure what the rules are for posting pics and listing the place). I’ve bought diamond jewelry from them before, and I’ve been very happy. I’m asking for the report, and will see what they say re: types of inclusions.

It definitely looks special. I think it would be a fabulous ring for you.

cocoa_and_mittens

Rough_Rock
Have you looked at Rubys?

Hi! I have and I don’t like them. I’ve looked at pink sapphires too. It’s the mix of red and pink of this that I really really like, and that I haven’t seen replicated in any sapphires so far. Admittedly, I haven’t seen much.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Red spinels are my absolute favorite and have been forever. 12k isn't exorbitantly expensive for a 4.5 ct red already set. You MAY be able to find a loose stone for less, but then you have to set it, etc. 4.5 cts is considered large. I would find out if it has fluorescence, though. If not it may darken in sunlight.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a beautiful stone. Prices for Red Spinel are going stratospheric unfortunately, and the bigger the stone the higher you pay. As a put together ring, 12K for the size (4.5ct center?) is actually not too bad especially depending on the precious metal and content thereof (plat or white gold?) Do they have a report on the center stone? I'm picky so, it would be the one thing I would want. A report will tell you exactly what you're getting, if the thing has been cooked to death or not.

You could also have the ring sent to AGL but they won't do all the testing they could do if unset of course.

If you're very intersted, then its worth asking those pertinent questions. 12K isn't chump change.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Red spinels are my absolute favorite and have been forever. 12k isn't exorbitantly expensive for a 4.5 ct red already set. You MAY be able to find a loose stone for less, but then you have to set it, etc. 4.5 cts is considered large. I would find out if it has fluorescence, though. If not it may darken in sunlight.

Me too! I would love a 4.5 carat red like this :love:. I love the color, it has a little less purple than mine and almost twice the size! The price isn't bad at all, especially already set. I mean, @cocoa_and_mittens always try to bargain a little, if you can8-) but if it has stable structure and I had the funds well...yoink!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a thought - if flashy and sparkly isnt your thing, how would you feel about cabs?

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
That colour, at least on my screen, is a dead ringer for a small ruby-in-marble specimen I bought a couple of years ago. It's a gorgeous stone!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from the lab report as indicated above
I would need to study the inclusions with my own eyes, with a loupe, to determine what I could live with and what I couldn’t. Surface reaching or not. That, and is the color really really pleasing to me in most lightings environments I will be in?
Not that much scintillation isn’t bothersome to me if it’s glowy and doesn’t really grey/black out when in low lighting.

cocoa_and_mittens

Rough_Rock
@cocoa_and_mittens any update on your search?

Hi! I’ve been sleeping on it for about three months now, and I’m getting close to buying it. I’ve looked at some sapphire options of similar colors, but I’m pretty sure I won’t love anything like this one. I am considering some totally different ring design potentials with diamonds (that was the idea when I started this process of looking for a fun everyday ring), but I can’t get this one out of my head so I may just give in.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
There is another thread right now about a red ruby ring, and I think it’s interesting to compare both these rings in terms of value proposition (both these rings are considered fairly priced). You are essentially getting double the size of the ruby for less money. That said, I think that ruby is better cut and more glowy than your spinel.

ETA: Where are you finding these sapphires as red as your spinel that aren’t priced as rubies? Asking for a friend 8-).

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I’ve been sleeping on it for about three months now, and I’m getting close to buying it. I’ve looked at some sapphire options of similar colors, but I’m pretty sure I won’t love anything like this one. I am considering some totally different ring design potentials with diamonds (that was the idea when I started this process of looking for a fun everyday ring), but I can’t get this one out of my head so I may just give in.

How often do you think about it? Once a month, once a week, or several times a day? Could it be lurrve ? :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results