shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Ruby Color

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not fredflintstone, and this is a mineral specimen rather than a cut stone, but assuming the photo is accurate, this spinel is up there with the best rubies for colour:

That's a nice colour - like a Jedi spinel. I agree it's up there with the top rubies in the sense that it's a beautiful red - do rubies come in this colour? It's quite included perhaps for a faceted stone, but does that make it much more affordable, or is it still pretty expensive for a intense top colour like this? I love this kind of candy/jelly colour a lot.

voce

Ideal_Rock
That's a nice colour - like a Jedi spinel. I agree it's up there with the top rubies in the sense that it's a beautiful red - do rubies come in this colour? It's quite included perhaps for a faceted stone, but does that make it much more affordable, or is it still pretty expensive for a intense top colour like this? I love this kind of candy/jelly colour a lot.

I bet the Carmen Lucia ruby looks similar in some lighting, though I can't find a photo showing an exact match.

1599765530738.png
1599765627584.png
1599765667930.png

Same ruby, different lighting. This is why I think you should never judge a gem by only a few pictures.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Is orange not a good thing in spinels? I somehow feel that the orange could render a gem ugly brown.

However, given the right combination of elements, and this is where gems are so mysterious and wonderful, like life, when everything comes together and despite an orange hue, despite any imperfections, it is a beautiful, wonderful life, a beautiful, gorgeous stone. Like this stone. Or maybe I see orange on my monitor and it is gorgeous.

1597858891023.png

This is a wonderful looking Spinel. Many times, people will confuse bright red for a hint of orange. Though I do feel from the picture there is a little orange here, only enough to really make it pop. The stone is probably 70% red. But pictures are hard to judge. They'e meant to give the best idea of what the stone looks like, but many different factors such as light and sometimes backgrounds give a stone slightly different appearance than in real life. A stone can look different in natural sunlight depending on the time of day and the latitude.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a red spinel crystal ring, haven't seen one of these before:

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
This spinel totally looked like a ruby to me - I only realised it was a spinel when I looked at the video title.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
The spinel I bought from Litnon is certified as red by AGL.

I think reds are so hard to capture.

If I could give Litnon infinity stars for excellence, I would.

I wanted a deep blood red like this. I know the neons are the best, but well, I am happy with this.

No browns at all in this stone. It won't extinct, will not brown out in direct sunlight, performs well in low light (with the screaming ambulance and the thunderstorm). When it comes, I will compare it with the reds I have.

Yay and phew!

1600972136525.png

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
These are spinels (not mine).

1599729944208.png

@voce, I thought to ask you.

A ruby that is of this quality. Not the sparkling sort. Vendor says it is transparent. It has good fluorescence. Have you seen them before and what are your thoughts? Colour is pinkish red. It has good colour. Just not sparkly. Rubies really do confuse me. Thank you for your opinion.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
The spinel I bought from Litnon is certified as red by AGL.

I think reds are so hard to capture.

If I could give Litnon infinity stars for excellence, I would.

I wanted a deep blood red like this. I know the neons are the best, but well, I am happy with this.

No browns at all in this stone. It won't extinct, will not brown out in direct sunlight, performs well in low light (with the screaming ambulance and the thunderstorm). When it comes, I will compare it with the reds I have.

Yay and phew!

1600972136525.png

I know you said you're not one for posting photos but...pictures please :kiss2:

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, didn't see the part about 'when it comes'!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@voce, I thought to ask you.

A ruby that is of this quality. Not the sparkling sort. Vendor says it is transparent. It has good fluorescence. Have you seen them before and what are your thoughts? Colour is pinkish red. It has good colour. Just not sparkly. Rubies really do confuse me. Thank you for your opinion.

Ruby of this color, really depends on the treatment. It's fairly easy to find this color of you allow clarity enhancement. Probably worth $1k-$1.5k at the carat size if heated with minor clarity. It probably wouldn't be glass filed if it looks like that. Heat only would go for probably $3-5k at the carat size where you are in the world, with US, UK, EU, AUS paying the most. Unheated would depend heavily on the origin for price, and untreated rubies would probably fetch the highest price in China/HK.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Ruby of this color, really depends on the treatment. It's fairly easy to find this color of you allow clarity enhancement. Probably worth $1k-$1.5k at the carat size if heated with minor clarity. It probably wouldn't be glass filed if it looks like that. Heat only would go for probably $3-5k at the carat size where you are in the world, with US, UK, EU, AUS paying the most. Unheated would depend heavily on the origin for price, and untreated rubies would probably fetch the highest price in China/HK.

It's unheated. Around 6.something carats. There is no white silk on it. It's just not the sparkly sort. The seller insists it's not cloudy, but it is not sparkly either.
Thank you for your advice.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
I purposely bought a flawed lab ruby from Chris CZ and the few people I showed it to thought it was a mined stone.

I‘m drooling over all the mined red gemstones and rings in this thread. Sadly most are beyond my current budget, but maybe someday. :roll:

Last edited:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I purposely bought a flawed lab ruby from Chris CZ and the few people I showed it to thought it was a mined stone.

I‘m drooling over all the mined red gemstones and rings in this thread. Sadly most are beyond my current budget, but maybe someday. :roll:

I purposefully bought a beryllium-diffused ruby because it was beautiful. Rubies are among the most treated stones, and among the more expensive.

There’s something to enjoy and learn about at every price point. I have fun drooling here!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I hope I'm not hi-jacking this post from the OP, but this thread is hitting home with me since I am looking at purchasing a red spinel.

I have video from the PS trusted vendor, but I'm having a hard time determining if what I am seeing is the accurate color. I don't want to link the site or show too much from the vendor out of respect for the vendor.

Does this appear to be 'stoplight red'? Will this be a dark stone when set?

Vendor still shot:
1597877624591.png

Snips from an outside video:
1597877647073.png
1597877670113.png

Indoor, but near window.
1597877692712.png

@remetau, following up on this stone - what was it like? Was it what you expected?

remetau

Rough_Rock
@remetau, following up on this stone - what was it like? Was it what you expected?

Sorry for the delay. It is everything I had expected and hoped for. Here are some pictures from my phone which did okay, but I'll try later with my dslr.

20210323_174945.jpg

Attachments

• 20210323_174834.jpg
    20210323_174834.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210323_174811.jpg
    20210323_174811.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210323_174744.jpg
    20210323_174744.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 14

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Ok here are some 'pigeon blood red rubies' for sale at Sothebys:

:kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

I'm surprised by how expensive the 2nd one is - 250,000 to 350,000 USD for a 3.63 ct ruby - though it is unheated and Burmese. I really love the colour of it.

And then I saw this, and I wento_Oo_Oo_O:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:
It's not red more of a pink ruby but wow that colour and size, really knocks your socks off!

But I don't have 60 to 80k USD :cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::wall::wall::wall::wall:

..still I can oggle :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

And look at the rubies in the 20 April auction.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the delay. It is everything I had expected and hoped for. Here are some pictures from my phone which did okay, but I'll try later with my dslr.

20210323_174945.jpg

Thanks so much for the pics - really lovely stone, it's a nice strong red without being dark. Would make a beautiful ring.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results