shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Ruby Color

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
@Nick_G , is the stoplight type of red the not sparkling but more velvety type with high flourescence?

Do you have an example of the type you like?

I love red and it is interesting to see these different types of red in a ruby or a spinel.

Well I collect crystal an mineral specimens rather than cut gems but one of them is a small ruby-in-marble specimen that is highly fluorescent and is more of a fuschia pink/red, but more pink in bright sunlight:
Ruby-in-matrix01.JPG
(1) Incandescent light,

Ruby-in-matrix04.JPG
(2) Daylight

That gives you an idea.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Well I collect crystal an mineral specimens rather than cut gems but one of them is a small ruby-in-marble specimen that is highly fluorescent and is more of a fuschia pink/red, but more pink in bright sunlight:
Ruby-in-matrix01.JPG
(1) Incandescent light,

Ruby-in-matrix04.JPG
(2) Daylight

That gives you an idea.

I bet flourescence is crazy in this specimen. :kiss2:

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
@Nick_G,

I didn't take a close look at the video so didn't notice, but are you thinking spinels because of the shape of the stones?

[USER=110761]@JackTrick

Your pigeon looks like it has orangey red eyes too, though it has more impressive 'hair' :)

@voce,

"I don't think there is an absolute one-to-one mapping of a word descriptor like pigeon blood to only one shade of red."

Yes, you're probably right. It is maybe a descriptor given for any very beautiful red or red-ish rubies.

"I myself describe the stoplight reds as pigeon blood, yet even the stoplight reds, are only red in a particular lighting situation. No gem looks exactly the same in all lighting situations."

Ah, stoplight red=pigeon blood=pigeon eyes I get, because they are both orangey reds, though my monitors offering me an extreme choice between very muted colours (makes reds look slightly orangey sometimes) and hyper-saturated (makes the same reds look neon/pink-red) may be a factor too.

My economic circumstances means I don't have a large 'pigeon blood' red Burmese ruby lying around for close inspection, but pigeons are relatively abundant in my area, so I might go and have a look at their eyes later to see what colour they are in real life.

For reference, though I think somebody previously might have already posted a picture of this stone (a spinel), this is an example of what I imagine a stoplight red gem to be:

Beautiful.

Last edited:

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
[USER=105081]@Nick_G,

Where you said ealier your preferred colour for a ruiby is "the intense 'stoplight' red with excellent fluorescence in UV light", do either of these stones (the spinel or the beryl) fit your idea of 'stoplight red'?

Or is it a different kind of red that you have in mind?

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, don't know why it is showing @[USER=110761]@JackTrick on my earlier post, I think I was trying to put Nick_G as opposed to Nick G, and it seems to now be hyperlinked to somebody else on this forum.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
@ChaiK,

"I love red and it is interesting to see these different types of red in a ruby or a spinel."

I LOVE red too. Ruby, red spinel, rubellite, red beryl, garnet...Iove red gemstones.

voce

Ideal_Rock
This is my Mozambique ruby when it was loose. I considered it stoplight red. AGL graded it as LI-2, and 2-3 in color.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think of this spinel? It's being described as crimson red, and it's vivid.

Snap! It's on my watchlist, I bookmarked it recently :)

Very nice red - looks vivid crimson on one monitor, and a slightly orangish dark-ish red in the other (but that's a monitor issue I think). It's quite similar to the red spinel in my post, but darker in tone.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
[USER=105081]@Nick_G,

Where you said ealier your preferred colour for a ruiby is "the intense 'stoplight' red with excellent fluorescence in UV light", do either of these stones (the spinel or the beryl) fit your idea of 'stoplight red'?

Or is it a different kind of red that you have in mind?

The red beryl pic labelled 'stoplight' is pretty close, and the sunlight pic that @voce posted of her Tanzanian ruby is another one.

There's also the article on 'Jedi spinels' from Vincent Pardieu here:

I don't know how accurate the colours are on those pics in the article but the neon glowing reds of those spinels looks astonishing. In particular, check out the stone on the right in Figure 14!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Screenshot_20190123-145945.png
This is my Mozambique ruby when it was loose. I considered it stoplight red. AGL graded it as LI-2, and 2-3 in color.

Did you buy this from Inken? Lovely stone.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
@JewelledEscalatorsPlease I think your confusion is with the way the pigeon blood term has been applied and misappropriated by various vendors. Pigeon blood red, the finest red, is in my opinion a red red -- just look at its namesake, the red eye of a pigeon. I don't think there's purple in that.

Vendors that want to sell their goods, over time used the term to refer to lower quality goods, aka typical pinkish/purplish rubies that are more common from Burma.

I think these are good representations of the Jedi spinel and Mozambique ruby, without having UV light present.

IMG_20200111_204059.jpg IMG_20200125_000955.jpg IMG_20200129_135331.jpg

Voce I’m completely in love with the middle ring in the top photo. Absolutely adore it. Let me know if you ever want to sell it ❤️

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there. Yes. All those crystals are octahedrons, which is the typical form that spinel crystals take. The second point is the colour, which is mostly shades of pinkish orange or brown. This sort of colour is a lot more common in spinel than corundum.

Thanks for letting me know. Do you cut stones? I totally wouldn't have noticed it unless you pointed it out.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
The red beryl pic labelled 'stoplight' is pretty close, and the sunlight pic that @voce posted of her Tanzanian ruby is another one.

There's also the article on 'Jedi spinels' from Vincent Pardieu here:

I don't know how accurate the colours are on those pics in the article but the neon glowing reds of those spinels looks astonishing. In particular, check out the stone on the right in Figure 14!

The spinels in the GIA pictures are lovely. My Tanzanian red spinel is the pinky/orangey neon top colour that 'Mahenge' spinels are associated with, but these Burmese red spinels (the ones you are referring to in Fig 14) seem to be a different kind of beauty altogether. One day I'd like to own one, but I imagine that they're not easy (or affordable) to come by. If they really look like these pictures, even a small stone would I imagine really really 'pop' on one's finger.

I'm not necessarily that keen on rubies that lean on the orange side, but with spinels, I love the orange in them. Somehow it gmakes them look both neon and soft in colour. Like a mellow neon, for the want of the better word.

Re: stoplight red:

I wouldn't have associated stoplight red with rubies, but the red beryl I can relate it to a ruby. It never occurred to me to put the two together. Voce's Tanzanian ruby I wouldn't thought of as stoplight red, more of a classic 'red ruby' colour in my mind, but looking at all these colours of rubies and spinels next to each other, I realise the colour lines are blurred. Even the Crimson ruby actually looks quite pink in other pictures I've found on the web. This thread has made me realise how different stones can look in various lighting conditions - I would hever have imagined Voce's Mozambique ruby looks as red as it does in the photo of it before it was set.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for letting me know. Do you cut stones? I totally wouldn't have noticed it unless you pointed it out.

No I collect natural crystals and mineral specimens although my interest is mainly gem species such as spinel, corundum, beryl, topaz,chrysoberyl etc. I find the natural state far more interesting as every specimen is unique, and if you have a piece in the matrix it can tell you quite a lot about the environment in which the crystals formed.

Also, with the ruby crystals still embedded in marble that is a guarantee that the specimen has not been heated as the heating process destroys the marble. The colour contrast between the saturated red on the white background of the marble is another plus for me.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Did you buy this from Inken? Lovely stone.
Yes, thanks.
Voce I’m completely in love with the middle ring in the top photo. Absolutely adore it. Let me know if you ever want to sell it ❤
Sorry, I don't think that's going to happen. It's a ring I designed as a family heirloom.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Here's another example of the colour I love, a spinel crystal on Mindat with such a vibrant glow:

I don't see any orange in that one. What a colour!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Is orange not a good thing in spinels? I somehow feel that the orange could render a gem ugly brown.

However, given the right combination of elements, and this is where gems are so mysterious and wonderful, like life, when everything comes together and despite an orange hue, despite any imperfections, it is a beautiful, wonderful life, a beautiful, gorgeous stone. Like this stone. Or maybe I see orange on my monitor and it is gorgeous.

1597858891023.png

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
@ChaiK I agree. The hint of orange in the Mahenge spinel color really amps up the color. I don't find my Mahenge spinel any less beautiful than the Jedi spinel, even if it has a bit of orange in it, too.

remetau

Rough_Rock
I hope I'm not hi-jacking this post from the OP, but this thread is hitting home with me since I am looking at purchasing a red spinel.

I have video from the PS trusted vendor, but I'm having a hard time determining if what I am seeing is the accurate color. I don't want to link the site or show too much from the vendor out of respect for the vendor.

Does this appear to be 'stoplight red'? Will this be a dark stone when set?

Vendor still shot:
1597877624591.png

Snips from an outside video:
1597877647073.png
1597877670113.png

Indoor, but near window.
1597877692712.png

voce

Ideal_Rock
@renwea I think it's stoplight red in at least some of the photos. I don't think that it'll be too dark when set. That is one of the stones that I would have bought, had I not already spent so much money elsewhere ;)). Do you already have a setting in mind for this one?

remetau

Rough_Rock
@voce Thank you. Knowing that it is a stone that you would have bought gives me greater confidence in it considering your beautiful collection.

Nothing specific in mind for a setting at this time, but leaning towards art deco.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Here's another example of the colour I love, a spinel crystal on Mindat with such a vibrant glow:

I don't see any orange in that one. What a colour!

Beautiful! Very vivid intense colour.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I hope I'm not hi-jacking this post from the OP, but this thread is hitting home with me since I am looking at purchasing a red spinel.

I have video from the PS trusted vendor, but I'm having a hard time determining if what I am seeing is the accurate color. I don't want to link the site or show too much from the vendor out of respect for the vendor.

Does this appear to be 'stoplight red'? Will this be a dark stone when set?

Vendor still shot:
1597877624591.png

Snips from an outside video:
1597877647073.png
1597877670113.png

Indoor, but near window.
1597877692712.png

@remetau,

I saw that stone too and was wondering the same thing - is it as pure red as it appears in the top 3 photos? I am thinking it may be, given the pricing compared to a similar sized red stone in the same store which is darker. The bottom pic looks a bit dark but so does the hand. If it looks like the top 3 photos, it's a lovely colour and would make a stunning solitaire ring.

Even something very simple like this might look great:

But an art deco setting would also look amazing given the shape of the stone. I really like the cut.

Do post pics of the stone and the ring if you go ahead with the purchase!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results