shape
carat
color
clarity

Red/Pink Spinel Hunting

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not spend more than Yavorskyy. He has great stones, and if he’s selling at a high premium, I would avoid anyone that sells the same material per carat, for a higher price.

I have a similar color spinel that floresces under UV flashlight, but not so much in the sun. You really have to evaluate in the sun.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
And the daily hunt continues... I realize for what I’m willing to pay, I might have to settle for an eye clean stone for the color and weight I want... Is this stone too dark in saturation and tone?
9AC876EC-BEE0-46B3-B35C-299482A110B7.jpeg

Thanks again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is potential for the stone to be dark in person. No chance to view it in person?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a stone that will do best under strong light.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful flame colouration. Any still pics? I saw some stuff from the back, hard to spot from the front.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
It is not I think that the stone's tone is too dark, but there is extinction in the cut. The stone could very well be medium toned. But with extinction, the dark areas you see in the stone can become worse in brighter light.

Sunlight is great, but to many that live in colder climates forget that indoor light is more important, as you going to be wearing jewelry indoors under artificial light or mixed with indirect sunlight much more than you will be outdoors, especially in the cold months.

Really though, it is all conjecture. Stones are always best judged in person; you can only go by a picture or video (which is better) so far. Sure, it can give you an idea, but they are so many other things such as the light it was taken in how strong the light was, the latitude it was taken in if outdoors, the angle it was shot at can make a stone look darker or lighter, the body and camera always block some light which can also look like extinction. Many variables here.

Just make sure whomever you buy has a good return policy and that they write that into your invoice agreement if you go through Paypal.

Most vendors are honest, but there always that one...

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Beautiful flame colouration. Any still pics? I saw some stuff from the back, hard to spot from the front.

It is not I think that the stone's tone is too dark, but there is extinction in the cut. The stone could very well be medium toned. But with extinction, the dark areas you see in the stone can become worse in brighter light.

Sunlight is great, but to many that live in colder climates forget that indoor light is more important, as you going to be wearing jewelry indoors under artificial light or mixed with indirect sunlight much more than you will be outdoors, especially in the cold months.

Really though, it is all conjecture. Stones are always best judged in person; you can only go by a picture or video (which is better) so far. Sure, it can give you an idea, but they are so many other things such as the light it was taken in how strong the light was, the latitude it was taken in if outdoors, the angle it was shot at can make a stone look darker or lighter, the body and camera always block some light which can also look like extinction. Many variables here.

Just make sure whomever you buy has a good return policy and that they write that into your invoice agreement if you go through Paypal.

Most vendors are honest, but there always that one...

Thanks! I assuming you are talking about the stone I posted as a picture in post #33? That one was taken under a canopy outside the dwell of the miner. So it probably can qualify as natural light but not direct sunlight.

I hear everyone's point that you cannot really judge the stone unless its in your hand...I am trying my best to select the one that I want to see as exchanges/returns usually is a hassle.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I assuming you are talking about the stone I posted as a picture in post #33? That one was taken under a canopy outside the dwell of the miner. So it probably can qualify as natural light but not direct sunlight.

I was referencing post 38 as flame and has potential.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

I hear everyone's point that you cannot really judge the stone unless its in your hand...I am trying my best to select the one that I want to see as exchanges/returns usually is a hassle.

Yes, that picture.

Many times, taking pictures in direct sunlight overwhelms the stone and it closes up to the camera eye, even if it looks great to the human eye. Many stones do this.

As I wrote earlier though, it really is more important to see how the stone looks with artificial light, as that is where jewelry is seen the most and at night when jewelry is worn the most, dinners, parties, dates, etc..

Yes, returns are a hassle but a fact of life. If you don’t like a stone, you want to make sure it is as hassle free as it can be getting your money refunded.

Good luck to you. =)2

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Yeah...I may buy it...its 7ct+ for $6K, but prob needs more polish. Almost eye-clean but seems no major fissure.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I was referencing post 38 as flame and has potential.

Yeah...that 4.2ct stone is not entirely eye-clean. It is the top color I believe... and it is for $4,500...

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello all -- Back again with more stones...I think I like both pink and red (with as little purple and no grey at all). Here are two stones that I can see myself own.

1. Tajikistan pink spinel (6ct, loupe clean, red florescence under UV) -- I heard that people say Tajikistan materials are generally cheaper than other regions. Is that true? Why?

2. Vietnam red spinel (5ct, not eye-clean but with only one crystal/fluid sac near the girdle) -- This looks like a bright color with decent cut. I hope it look just like this color in NYC as I heard the spinel may appear different as UV lengths around the world are different?

Love to hear your thoughts!!! Thanks again~

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all -- Back again with more stones...I think I like both pink and red (with as little purple and no grey at all). Here are two stones that I can see myself own.

1. Tajikistan pink spinel (6ct, loupe clean, red florescence under UV) -- I heard that people say Tajikistan materials are generally cheaper than other regions. Is that true? Why?

2. Vietnam red spinel (5ct, not eye-clean but with only one crystal/fluid sac near the girdle) -- This looks like a bright color with decent cut. I hope it look just like this color in NYC as I heard the spinel may appear different as UV lengths around the world are different?

Love to hear your thoughts!!! Thanks again~

Not sure I would call those “red,”. The first one is a raspberry pink color and the second is an orangy pink. That being said, both are very pretty, and I really like the first one because I’m attracted to its cutting, luster and brilliance. The cushion appears to be sleepy, but I would want to see that gem indoors, as it might be a sunshine shot. In sunlight it might be way more saturated due to fluorescence. I suspect the Tajikistan material isn’t very fluorescent in sunlight. I would still want to see it in multiple light sources. Many might like the second stone better for its hue. I just don’t care for orangy pinks. It’s subjective.

My opinion is based on pink spinels, and you should not pay a crazy high price for them as “red” spinels, or even. “pinkish red” color.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Not sure I would call those “red,”. The first one is a raspberry pink color and the second is an orangy pink. That being said, both are very pretty, and I really like the first one because I’m attracted to its cutting, luster and brilliance. The cushion appears to be sleepy, but I would want to see that gem indoors, as it might be a sunshine shot. In sunlight it might be way more saturated due to fluorescence. I suspect the Tajikistan material isn’t very fluorescent in sunlight. I would still want to see it in multiple light sources. Many might like the second stone better for its hue. I just don’t care for orangy pinks. It’s subjective.

My opinion is based on pink spinels, and you should not pay a crazy high price for them as “red” spinels, or even. “pinkish red” color.

Thanks. Here is the Tajikistan stone under incandescent and UV. The dealer quoted $1100 / carat for this 6ct stone. The Vietnam one is $13K for 5.67ct.

femmemannequin

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Here is the Tajikistan stone under incandescent and UV. The dealer quoted $1100 / carat for this 6ct stone. The Vietnam one is $13K for 5.67ct.

whoa the prices.......I would bargain hard on those. way too high.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have pink spinels like that with strong UV light fluorescence, but they don’t glow that color in the sun, so it doesn’t make much difference. It’s a pretty stone nonetheless.

I’m unsure if those are fair prices since I haven’t purchased pink spinels in years, but the prices are also due to size. Spinels really go up in value after four carats.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have pink spinels like that with strong UV light fluorescence, but they don’t glow that color in the sun, so it doesn’t make much difference. It’s a pretty stone nonetheless.

I’m unsure if those are fair prices since I haven’t purchased pink spinels in years, but the prices are also due to size. Spinels really go up in value after four carats.

Does any spinel really glow its florescence in the sun? Thanks.

voce

Ideal_Rock
What will be a fair price for each of these two? Thanks.
You know you are soliciting subjective opinions, right? Mining for gems has been impacted by the pandemic, so the prices before the pandemic, and after, may change. It's not possible to objectively say what is fair pricing. There can be quite a range on the prices. Most of what people are selling these days are old stock, so depending on if they price it based off their cost incurred in the past (lower prices), or replacement cost (higher prices), it might vary quite a bit. I would argue neither method is inherently more fair than the other, only what factors are considered important for each individual vendor.

In the sun you're most likely going to have huge FLASHES of light, not glow, unless the spinel is really sleepy (lots of silk rutile).

Rather, the UV fluorescence in natural sunlight is something that helps the gem glow when other gems go dim from very low light.

Case in point: diffused natural light through window.
IMG_20191223_163804.jpg

Low light setting.
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191223145705783_COVER.jpg

Or another example. The Mahenge red spinel gets more lit up under natural sunlight than in indoor light.
IMG_20200809_145857.jpg
First the indoor (incandescent light), by no means bad.
IMG_20200807_122042.jpg
The color just gets more intense in natural light, due to UV fluorescence.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have some that do, they’re Magenge spinels. Fine Burmese rubies do as well.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
whoa the prices.......I would bargain hard on those. way too high.

I was told by the dealer that he bought that Tajikistan stone for $6k and has to make some profit...has spinel price gone up so much in less than 12-month? :confused:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Has anyone heard of this lab called Galaxy Gemological Institute? Is it reputable and results trustworthy at all? Thanks.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Never heard of them. I like that they seal the gems after testing though.

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Has anyone heard of this lab called Galaxy Gemological Institute? Is it reputable and results trustworthy at all? Thanks.

This is a pakistan lab.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
A good color Red/Pink Spinel, the picture (video) should not have purple or brown tones. If the Red/Pink Spinel picture (video) shows purple or brown tones, it will actually not look very bright .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results