shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Beryl

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/8/2003 5:43 01 PM LawGem wrote:

So maybe it's all gone after all...
----------------

Possible... I can believe a piece of bad news when I hear one... Thanks for sharing the news!
sad.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------

----------------

Possible... I can believe a piece of bad news when I hear one... Thanks for sharing the news!
sad.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------

----------------

sad.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------

----------------

sad.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/8/2003 11:42:15 AM mmmosb wrote:

Could a stone like this be cut to a different shape/faceted?
----------------

Most likely not: the current seller would make quite a bit of money cuting the stone, so their dropping the option it is a good indicator that it will at least involve alot of headache or be strainght imposible. Perhaps this statement is not a good absolute generalization, but I suspect it does apply to red beryl since the standards for faceted stones are, as you could see, quite low even for high prices...

Did you take a look at what reds mineralminers.com has to offer. They were nice to me when I bought from them!
1.gif

Regards,

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
Well, I bought the oval cabochon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cab is still a gem, it just means that it is not faceted, hence less value to it? I did check out mineralminers, but the prices were just out of my league. The faceted red beryl on there tho' were just gorgeous, esp the emeral cut! WOW! Thanks for everything!

RefutadorDeLeyendas

Rough_Rock
Hola, espero no incomodarlos al escribir en español.
El berilo rojo o Bixbita no es una gema natural, tengo forma de demostrarlo, estoy terminando un trabajo de investigación al respecto que seguramente va a ser publicado en "Nature" (eso espero, je je.) en los próximos meses.
Les mando un gran saludo y espero puedan traducir esto.

Gracias.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/27/2003 8:47:00 PM RefutadorDeLeyendas wrote:

Hola, espero no incomodarlos al escribir en español.
El berilo rojo o Bixbita no es una gema natural, tengo forma de demostrarlo, estoy terminando un trabajo de investigación al respecto que seguramente va a ser publicado en 'Nature' (eso espero, je je.) en los próximos meses.
Les mando un gran saludo y espero puedan traducir esto.

Gracias. ----------------

So... who then put up the conspiration to create and disseminate all those gems and crystals? I assume that making up a tone or so of fake red beryl crystals placed in host matrix well enough to fool dealers and collectors world wide must have taken some talent. Not to mention how curious you made me! Would you consider posting the abstract of yout paper? It can well be in Spanish, for all I know.

Thanks!

RefutadorDeLeyendas

Rough_Rock
Hello Valeria, can you speak me in spanish?
I can't explain it now, because I'm waiting for a "Nature" reply about my investigation, but this is not a conspiration, the crystals on matrix are in the Wah Wah Mountain in Utah, I´ll explain you about my theory after january 31.
Regards.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Translation (rough, indeed)

Hello, I hope not to trouble them on having written in Spanish.
The red beryl or Bixbita is not a natural gem, I have way of demonstrating it, am finishing a work of investigation in the matter that surely is going to be published in ' Nature ' (I wait for it, je je.) in the next months.
I order them a great greeting and hope that they could translate this.

I believe it to be natural, seems an awful lot of work to go through if it were a hoax.

win

RefutadorDeLeyendas

Rough_Rock
HELLO WIN!!!
THIS IS NOT A HOAX.
REGARDS.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Are you aware that there is a synthetic red beryl grown in Russia? I think someone may just have sold you a fake construction of Russian red beryl cemented onto matrix.

I find this very hard to believe given the number of disparate entities that have studied red beryl. I could list them all but it would take an entire page. The scientific literature on this goes back over 20 years. Among the authors are some very intelligent people I know personally. To suggest they have all been duped is just silly. There have been published studies comparing natural and synthetic red beryl and they are easily distinguished--their chemical makeup is not the same, and this has been proven through various methods of spectroscopy.

RefutadorDeLeyendas

Rough_Rock
HOLA AMIGO, GRACIAS POR TU INTERÉS, SÓLO RESTAN UNOS DÍAS PARA QUE "NATURE" RESPONDA AL ENVÍO DE MI TRABAJO Y LOS PONDRÉ A TODOS EN CONOCIMIENTO DEL TEMA.
SE VAN A SORPRENDER.
UN SALUDO.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
It will likely take a lot more than a letter in Nature to change my mind about this, but I look forward to a better explanation.

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/5/2003 11:56:11 AM mmmosb wrote:

Ok, still waiting on Steve right now as he is incredibly busy ... so I've been doing some more searching and found the following http://www.pgrgem.com/cgi-bin/simple_colored.cgi?stone=PGRFBERYL&sub=1 ...

I'm considering the 0.55 ct oval .... good deal/bad deal?
----------------

Is it still there?

I thought you were referring to the 0.55 ct at this site:
http://www.finegems.com/coloredgems/beryl-red.htm
but that one's emerald-shaped. Too bad it got away before I came across it.

malu

Rough_Rock
I have come to this forum because in my treasury hunting I have find in gemstones store under in a metal box.Annexed are the pics of the cut stones. The red stones is the big one/12 carats cabochon cut and the yellow/orange is 8 carat. These 2 stones have passed a broform test (bromofrom is used to separate gems according to their specific gravity). Since the known red stones are ruby, spinel, garnet and some tourmaline ,all of them have a SG above 2,90, which is the bromoform S.G.; So the only possibily remained is that it should be a red emerald/(known also as bixbite or red beryl); In fact the red stone and the yellow did float in the bromoform while ruby, garnet, and spinel went under.If the red beryl(the synthetic) was lab-synthezed in Russia and is said to be extremely rare on the market, Can you have a look on the attached stones and let un know your thinking. Note:the stones have been burrid in central Africa in a house where used to live colonial involved in mineral and ran away because of war and did not come back to Africa. They have been find with a deeper metal detector since they were stone in a metalic structure.

mal.jpg

malu

Rough_Rock
The collection,

I believe the small red are rubies cause the went down when put in bromoform while the big one floated.madam, may be if patient you buy from us the small ones.

Cheers

mal2.jpg

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Stoneman,

A simple S.G. test by itself cannot determine most stones. Other red gems and simulants that will float in bromoform include quartz, fire opal, glass, plastics, etc. Quartzes have been dyed and heat treated red for hundreds of years. You will need to have a number of other tests performed before you're even certain the stone is natural. These include refractive index, a test for single or double refraction, microscopic examination for identifying inclusions, spectroscopic examination, etc.

If the stone is as old as you believe the chances of it being red manganese beryl (bixbite) are remote. The first red beryl was discovered in Utah around 1900 but deposits of the mineral were not located until several years ago. The only other reported finds (traces only) are in Mexico and New Mexico. The new mineral Pezzotaite from Madagascar is a reddish to vibrant pink beryl colored by cesium that often shows chatoyancy (cat's-eyes).

Man-made hydrothermal bixbite is easily available in both rough and cut form. I personally know of three sources for rough and could probably find more in a few minutes' time. It isn't rare but it has only been on the market a few years.

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
Use a sharp piece of quartz to cut the suspected red beryl; you should find it impossible if it's genuine.

----------------
On 9/19/2004 6:25:00 AM malu wrote:

:
So the only possibily remained is that it should be a red emerald/(known also as bixbite or red beryl)
:
----------------

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The larger orangey red cabochon has the appearance of quartz (carnelian), which would float in bromoform with an SG of 2.66.

The two small faceted stones have the appearance of garnet, which would sink in bromoform with an SG of 3.78-4.05.

Just a gut instinct based on the photo.

rock70

Rough_Rock
I have an 8.0 ct bixbite polished and faceted in a white gold pendant and i am looking for a buyer,, there a couple visible inclusions. I bought from an old friend and need to sell in order to finish school. please help.

[email protected]

frcontrone

Rough_Rock
Was just checking out this site, when I found this thread. I know the owner of the red beryl mine in Utah. It is real, and not a peppered simulation to fool the experts. The reason behind the small and rarely seem amounts coming out of the mine are due to the family that owns it. It gets hot to the point of not being a viable place (extremely dry) to work most months. It is just now getting to the cool part of the year that makes it tolerable. It is mined just by family members. Thus the small amounts that hit the market. I have seen several of the family owned necklaces that have been made out of this material. Hopefully they will start having a few more help mine the rough so that the market can have a bit more of this extrodinary stone. I want to get my hands on enough to make a few of my designs. Yet I know the owners.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results