shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Beryl

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
What can you tell me about it? How much should it cost, what makes a quality stone, is it easily set, what is a popular type of cut ? Also, any reccommended sellers would be a nice heads up for me, thanks!

Any help appreciated ... :D

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Red Beryl is a neat stone but very hard to find because it comes from only one deposit in Utah, and the mining has been very erratic (the companies working the deposit keep going out of business). The best stones are a moderately saturated raspberry red--they don't get much darker than that. As far as cuts, durability, and setting, red beryl is comparable to emerald (another type of beryl). Clarity is usually poor, also similar to emerald. Because of the rarity and disruption in supply, it's tough to speculate on a price. It's often one of those "what the market will bear" situations.

There is such a thing as synthetic red beryl, which is manufactured in Russia, but it's also quite rare.

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the information. I guess I will search the net and see what I come up with. I knew it was considered rare, but no idea that it could be so difficult to find and purchase. Would you say that if well set and the color red was just right that the clarity would not be such an issue?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Clarity is a diamond issue, not a colored stone issue. Only with certain types of colored stones (e.g., aquamarine or topaz) are you ever going to get an eye-clean stone, and almost never with gems like emerald and red beryl. Appreciate red beryl for its color and don't worry about the clarity as long as the stone is attractive.

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
Ok, I got ya. Now, I've found some red beryl on ebay .. if you would not mind, could you take a look and see if any are worth purchasing? I tried to insert the link here but it did not work for me.

Gemstudded

Rough_Rock
Red Beryl is also known as Bixbite and as said is currently only found in Utah, USA of high quality, although some Bixbite deposits are being discovered in Africa. Virtually all gem quality rough will cut only very small accent sizes and are expensive and virtually impossible to buy and therefore of no commercial value. The extreme rarity, vivid colour and very high collectors status of Bixbite are the main factors for the high prices. I think it is also known as American Emerald.

Good luck in finding it
eek.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
The stones I see on ebay are nothing exceptional. But as gemstudded notes, most faceted red beryl is very small, and stones of 1 ct and above are very rare.

The pink-red "beryl" that's been discovered in Africa (Madagascar) recently is probably not bixbite and may indeed prove to be an entirely new mineral.

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
Let me first start by saying thank you and I love this site, particualry because of helpful people such as yourself! I am a total novice to all this, and really the main reason I'm looking for a red beryl is as a gift for my maid of honor. This is about to get hokie, so I hope your sitting down (lol) ... but, red beryl is considered a lucky stone for someone born during the month of November. My birth month. I want to impart to my good friend something from myself as I start a new circle as well as luck and thanks for all her help during the planning of my wedding. So, I'm looking for a small size, but nice looking red beryl stone to be set in a simple four prong white gold setting. So, if you think something from ebay might look nice for this particular situation, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks once again, your are too kind for all your help!

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't put red beryl in white gold (I think yellow gold looks much better for its color), but that's just me.

The stuff on ebay all looks to be about the same quality. But it's cheap, so I don't see a lot of risk in ordering a stone or two.

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
I prefer yellow gold too, but my friend only wears silver, so I don't want to get yellow when I know she prefers the 'silvery' look. Do you think the 'whiteness' detracts from the red?

Gemstudded

Rough_Rock
----------------
The pink-red "beryl" that's been discovered in Africa (Madagascar) recently is probably not bixbite and may indeed prove to be an entirely new mineral.
----------------

Law, I hope it is a new mineral, do you have any further information about this potentially new mineral?

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
So, like my usual self, I have like two or three more questions, teehee! What is the difference between the Wah Wah stones and the Utah stones? Law, if you had to pick from ebay, wich would you bid on? Are the more pink colored stones on ebay actualy red beryl, or possibly this new mineral you are speaking of?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/28/2003 4:36
6.gif
2 AM Gemstudded wrote:

Law, I hope it is a new mineral, do you have any further information about this potentially new mineral?

----------------
GIA reported on it a few months ago. There is a submission before the International Mineralogical Association to declare it a new mineral, but there has not been a decision yet.

The main differences between this material and beryl are a much higher Cesium content and, as a result, a higher refractive index (1.608-1.616 vs. 1.577-1.583), and a higher specific gravity (3.10 vs. 2.72).

It does not really look much like red beryl, as it tends be be even more included and lower in color saturation (the darkest pieces being hot/bubblegum pink rather than raspberry red).

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/28/2003 10
6.gif
6.gif
5 AM mmmosb wrote:

So, like my usual self, I have like two or three more questions, teehee! What is the difference between the Wah Wah stones and the Utah stones? Law, if you had to pick from ebay, wich would you bid on? Are the more pink colored stones on ebay actualy red beryl, or possibly this new mineral you are speaking of?

----------------
The Wah Wah mountains--the location of the sole deposit--are in Utah. So it's the same thing.

White or yellow gold is really a matter of taste. If she prefers white, that's fine with me.

I would not go so far as to recommend a specific stone on ebay, in part because I am not familiar with the seller and it is impossible to really evaluate a stone from a few grainy photos. Sorry.

There is no way the stones on ebay are this new cs-beryl. Very little of it has reached the market, and the few gem dealers who have it know it's something special and aren't going to just sell it as "red beryl" on ebay.

Gemstudded

Rough_Rock
This "Cessium Beryl" sounds interesting, I will keep an eye out on the GIAs findings. Thanks for that bit information Law
3.gif

gemexplorer

Rough_Rock
Dear Law Gem,

I have found the many gemstones now coming out of Madagascar are indeed interesting - and the prices for them are most fair - speaking of the sapphires.

But Ihave yet heard of the pink beryle - are they in good sizes ? I am very curious to know for I maybe in Madagascar for a different purpose as I will be joing the University of Norway on a separate humanitarian project come October.

Have you seen any of these red/pink beryls ? and what sizes do they come by ? Your information will be very much appreciated.

Gemstudded

Rough_Rock
After doing a little digging around on the net I found out some information that this new "Red Beryl" may be being named "Pelozzaite".
I also found some pictures, one of which a thought I would share. Looks like a very beautiful mineral to me
1.gif

Pelozzaite-Madagscar03.jpg

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen a few stones but nothing beyond 2-3 carats. Most of the material is heavily included and only suitable for cabochons rather than faceting. Some of it does make good cat's eyes, however. It is only just coming on the market, so who knows.

The mineral name (if approved) will probably be pezzottaite, after Dr. Federico Pezzotta (of the Museum of Natural History, Milan), who has written extensively on Madagascar and its gem resources. I met him in Tucson this year--he's quite a character.
2.gif

Gemstudded

Rough_Rock
"Pezzottaite", thats the other name mentioned, but some people think it might be the other. I prefer "Pezzottaite", named after the man who found it. You're lucky to have met the man himself, it must have been fascinating and to see real-life specimens too
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!

Two large scale dealers do stock these Madagascar novelties and sold a few: Multicolor and Thaigem (see sites and ask for a stone if you are really interested, since after a quick sell-out, both dealers retracted their largest/best from sight awaiting, I guess, better prices to come with the GIA report). I have seen a 9ct facet almost eye clean and a 6ct cats' eye. Large roug is found and average clarity is better than emerald, but not as good as aqua... I suspect your questions will be willingly answered at Africagems (business sourcing from South Africa into upper end US market)and Trinityminerals (large specimen dealer). Specimens rather than cut gems are more often available currently and do get prices comparable to red beryl specimens due to similar rarity. The stones I saw were priced simmilarly to high quality aqua.

Hope this helps.

Ana
nono.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!

Red beryl is a pricing nightmare and an adventure to get, but could be fun to own and even more fun to give as gift. Make sure that the receiver appreciates the rarity of a jewel rhather than size and looks though! For good looking red beryl go to: Mineralminers.com and Steveperrygems.com. On the first site they have just acquired some bixbite specimens, so they may have cut stones in stock too (they answer questions and provide good service hapily). Forget Ebay for this: the stuff really is too wel priced on the collector's market to ever get on Ebay and if the source you were looking at is Thaigem, forget it! For a stone easy to see without magnification, prepare a three digit amount plus custom seting, since, as is the case with typically included stones (emeralds too) a not so illuminated jeweler could damage the stuff. Not to mention that some jewelers will not take you seriously if you try to set in a good quality ring a small, overpriced stone which the jeweler might not understand why you have got instead of one of his larger, redder, cheaper rubies...

Hope this helps,

Ana

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oups! Forgot the last question "what makes a quality stone": Well, color, size and clarity, in this order. Forget the cutting: the rough is too expensive to waste and fancy cuts are fun. Size: the largest ever was 6c. Color: this is what makes a red emerald red and is the name of the game. Clarity: well, you do not have to worry about anything that does not make the little thing ugly. And this is really all of it. By the way: PGRgems was selling red beryl cabochons recently: these do not look all that awesome, but are dirt cheap and may carry the same amount of good luck as the faceted cousins...

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
Ana- wow .. those sites are awesome! I think I found a stone on Steve's site that fits what I'm looking for ... as you can probably tell I'm going with sentiment here more than size etc. of the stone ... as a side note I had thought of inscribing the ring with 'rare like you, luck like us' ... hokie, but so to the point! Thanks, I'll let you know what I decide!

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/30/2003 2:53:47 AM valeria101 wrote:
I have seen a 9ct facet almost eye clean and a 6ct cats' eye.

----------------

Very interesting. I had been under the impression that stones that high-quality had not been seen. Although, I have also been told by someone who visited the mine recently that the deposit is all but exhausted, so I guess the best pieces are getting sorted out by now. If there is indeed no more material, the prices are sure to go up soon.

sad.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
" the mine recently that the deposit is all but exhausted "---------Hm... this is what all dealers want you to think. I have trouble believing it since not only there are large stones out there, but also large variations in the color and color saturation of the rough (as seen in both specimens and cut pieces). This means that there are more sources and that the geological conditions which produced thse stones affected a larger area consistently(given the large crystals). Also, local mining conditions hardly permit retrieving acurate info. Even if you actually went there, the only way to know the right from wrong, I guess, is to buy beers to all independent miners around there for some time. The guys at Africagems do exactly this so they should know. However, the rough went to larger Thai dealers instead of the American market (counterintuitive, but, Hei! what do I know?). ----Conclusion: I would expect quite a few good surprises from this new gem when the following international fairs show its mettle. I believe that just about everyone has spotted its potential, and whoever got the upperhand (I suspect CreativeGems, the consotium, and Multicolor, its smaller rival) has a good reason to hold back. The cats' eyes are simply spectacular, much more defined that other beryls... and deep pinks (not really reds) are clearly upper end material. Anyway, this is deep-pink-beryl not red-beryl, so Utah will keep singing its tune.
10.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"I think I found a stone on Steve's site that fits what"

Hei! I am so glad it worked out! If you have some time and want a stunning ring from a very understanding and overqualified jeweler, try the "jewelryexpert.com". These guys make all kinds of things: from average to the higher end prices but all with unusual respect to the craft. Maybe you do not want something this fancy, but if you do, this is a great place to place your request!

Glad to help...
wink2.gif

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
Ok, still waiting on Steve right now as he is incredibly busy ... so I've been doing some more searching and found the following http://www.pgrgem.com/cgi-bin/simple_colored.cgi?stone=PGRFBERYL&sub=1 ...

I'm considering the 0.55 ct oval .... good deal/bad deal?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/5/2003 11:56:11 AM mmmosb wrote:

I'm considering the 0.55 ct oval .... good deal/bad deal?
----------------

Unless the recipient of the stone knows it all about colored gems (small chace, but...tough danger) she will be surprised enough to see that 'red emeralds' exist at all and perhaps overlook any other detail about a jewelry piece meant for amusement only. Giving away such a gift demands very good knowledge of the receiver's taste. Otherwise, why not! Besides, if the piece was faceted and clear, a nice price would be twenty times... right?
2.gif

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
I understand, the receiver of this gift will appreciate the thoughtfulness more than anything else. But, I must ask, could a stone like this be cut to a different shape/faceted?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
This just in: GIA has published a report from the pink beryl mine:

http://www.gia.edu/newsroom/issue/2798/1902/insider_newsletter_details.cfm#3

Apparently the IMA approved the new mineral identity. So it's no longer "beryl" but "pezzottaite."

Valeria, note also: "The majority of the gem-bearing zone appears to have been mined out, and the remaining areas are difficult to work with the hand tools available. Small amounts of pezzottaite were available at the mine, as well as elsewhere in Madagascar, but the material shown to us was of low quality."

So maybe it's all gone after all...
8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results