shape
carat
color
clarity

Recut details for Rickdiamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
To answer your question, yes it did originally have a GIA report. It was excellent cut/ excellent polish/ excellent symmetry. That is why I picked it, I thought the triple ex rating would be the very best I could get. I had enough diamond knowledge at the time to know I wanted the best cut I could find, but not enough to know that there were certain crown/pavilion combos to be looking for in conjunction with certain table size and depth, etc.

Anyway, I bought the diamond and at first I was thrilled, I was getting engaged and hadn't seen enough diamonds in person to know what they could look like in different kinds of lighting. After a while, (I guess when the initial excitement wore off), I started noticing that instead of seeing brightness and sparkles, in many kinds of lighting I was seeing a dark center and chunks of darkness around the edges. I tried to blow it off, but it kept bothering me so I started researching cuts and found out about the whole steep deep light leakage situation. I found the HCA, plugged my numbers into it and got a 4.3. (Or something very close to that, but I think it's right). I read TONS of threads here about steep deeps and realized my diamond was EXACTLY what they were describing. Naturally I was pretty disappointed, considering this was THE biggest purchase I'd ever made at that point. Then I found another pricescoper's thread about her recut done by Brian Gavin. I called him and got all the info about it. Then I thought about it for several more months before sending it away, taking time to think about whether it was really worth the risk. I'm an artist myself, and tend to be a huge perfectionist. The big areas of darkness I saw were making me crazy so I sent it away. It came back with much better proportions and I couldn't have been more thrilled! So if anyone else is out there looking at GIA Ex cut diamonds, of course I warn them so they don't end up disappointed like I was.

I know some peoples' priorites are different, but many times the ones who end up on pricescope ARE the ones who are looking for the brightest, mst sparkly diamond they can find.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei asked if I could post some of the "ugly" pictures I tried to get of the leakage. The problem is I took them in a moving car without macro mode (didn''t have the same camera) so they''re horribly blurry and hard to see. I will post them anyway, because even though they are hard to see, the dark center does show up. Here they are.

ugly5a.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
another

ugly6a.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
one more. Again I apologize for the terrible photo quality. When I took the original shots, I put them in front of the sun trying to make them look as pretty as possible. I didn''t take any macro shots without some backlighting.

ugly4a.JPG

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much Kelli!

The subject is quite interesting to me.
Of course it''s great that you eneded up with a stone you loved better, no question about that!
Brian is clealry an amazing cutter.
I''d love it if more poeple who''d taken this route would share experiences.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 3:49:26 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Thank you so much Kelli!

The subject is quite interesting to me.
Of course it''s great that you eneded up with a stone you loved better, no question about that!
Brian is clealry an amazing cutter.
I''d love it if more poeple who''d taken this route would share experiences.

David, Not sure if you saw my post on the other thread. Brian completed my recut this past week, AGS grading was completed yesterday. To summarize, mine went from 2.47 steep/deep to 2.105 and lost less than 1/10mm of diameter. I should have it back sometime next week, can''t wait to see it. Details, photos, Sarin, IS, etc. from start to finish https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/planning-to-have-diamond-recut-part-two.104056/

There is another recut thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-recut-thread.104464/ that links to the individual recut threads.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Shady- I did see your thread- congrats!!
In all fairness, your stone did not start out as a GIA "EX" cut grade. I agree it was steep , and deep- but the discussion centers around stones that GIA graded "EX" Cut grade that were lacking.

Your stone looks amazing- Brian is obviously extremely talented.
Congrats again!!

PS- note to mods- is it possible to correct the title to "Rockdiamond" ( it says "Rickdiamond)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
6.gif
I''m so sorry I spelled your screen name wrong. My bad! Glad I could provide you with some interesting information though:)

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 7:20:22 PM
In all fairness, your stone did not start out as a GIA ''EX'' cut grade. I agree it was steep , and deep- but the discussion centers around stones that GIA graded ''EX'' Cut grade that were lacking.
Sorry, missed that part of the request for recut specs
emembarrassed.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
In all fairness, your stone did not start out as a GIA ''EX'' cut grade. I agree it was steep , and deep- but the discussion centers around stones that GIA graded ''EX'' Cut grade that were lacking.

Your stone looks amazing- Brian is obviously extremely talented.
Congrats again!!

PS- note to mods- is it possible to correct the title to ''Rockdiamond'' ( it says ''Rickdiamond)
I''m calling you Rickdiamond from now on!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a great stage name...Rick Diamond!
I can use that at my next performance.....

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 5:17:34 PM
Author: shady71

Sorry, missed that part of the request for recut specs
emembarrassed.gif
Actually, Rockdiamond, your initial statement only said:

"If anyone who did re-cut a steep deep to better proportions can post the specifics- beginning weight and stats, and stats and weight after re-cut, I''d be so grateful- I really am interested to see what the actual losses were."

You did not ask until the end of that thread if Kelli''s had a GIA report, and didn''t find out until after this thread was started that it was a GIA ex cut. So, in actuality, the discussion didn''t center around stones initially graded GIA ex cut, just deep stones that were recut - Shady71 (who definitely meets steep/deep on that one!) was just responding to your initial request above.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good point!
We don't see that many, and I'm fascinated by the process of re-cutting a stone - so yes, I'd love to see any!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kel!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results