carat
color
clarity

Recut - Calculating the loss

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Digressing,

Kozibe optical effects have as much weight in the appeal of a diamond

I feel that the Kozibe effect & the H&A are methods in the same spirit - read a pattern signifying brilliance, are they not?

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@prs You write that looking back it looks really good in the picture. After all your research would you still be comfortable buying such a shallow oec? :)

Most OECc are very deep relative to a well cut MRB. The cut charts would give all these deep OECs very poor grades!! So if you find a shallow OEC that you love and it looks great, why not buy it? The light return couldn't be any worse than the deep OECs. :)

The price of that particular stone was well over our budget otherwise it would likely be ours already! DW did have reservations about the setting, she would have preferred something a bit less complicated.

If I were thinking of re-cutting an MRB I would first decide what would be the largest %table I could live with. Then I would figure out what CA would allow me to achieve that table whilst keeping the same spread. PA would stay the same, so I would then know my CA, PA combination, and I would ask a cut guru, such as @Karl_K to comment on that combination.

If comments were not too negative I would then figure out what %LGF I would want to go with that %Table to give my desired facet pattern. Shortening the LGFs would loose almost no weight and I would have those re-cut first to see what it looked like. This would be my "sneaking up on it" approach. :)

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
@prs thank you for sharing your experience. Do you remember if the diamond had obstruction issues? Like the girdle reflecting in the middle of the diamond when tilted?

Is there a deadline on your diamond project? Are you actively looking or still researching? :)

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We looked at the diamond back in February and I now realize I didn't know nearly enough about OECs to be a good judge. I don't think I'd ever even heard of obstruction, so for sure I didn't look for it. Grace has six videos of the stone on her site so best to look at those for clues. Let me just say I know from the PS Diamond Search you can buy a 6 carat L,SI1 MRB for around $55K. This stone is drop dead gorgeous, and OECs this size are extremely rare, so it definitely merits a premium, however I would hope there is room for negotiation in the asking price. :)

Our 40th is still a year away so that would be the ultimate deadline.We are still looking but in no great hurry because of the uncertainty in the economy. I have no idea where diamond prices might be six months from now, but I doubt they will be any higher.

Still researching but have had a couple of unrelated projects come up that are taking up all my free time. Should be able to get back to it in about a month.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
What a great thread! Have to put on my thinking cap and read again for better detailed comprehension. There are several threads where ppl recut MRB into OEC's with great success. I will say this, which I did not see covered here....according to Jonathan at www.distinctivegem.com, to get a good recut the pavilion angle on your MRB should be no less than 41 degrees. Check out his AVR's and they all have 41+ degree pavilion angles. Although I've seen Victor Cannera OEC's that had 40.+ degree angles. So what did you decide to do?

Personally, I prefer the larger table OEC's (52-55%) where the flower pattern can be better seen.

Last edited:

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
someone might have already asked this: Current stone: Depth: 61.2%
Desired depth in recut: Depth: 63%

How does one go about getting a deeper depth? I.e., 63 when the stone is 61.2?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
someone might have already asked this: Current stone: Depth: 61.2%
Desired depth in recut: Depth: 63%

How does one go about getting a deeper depth? I.e., 63 when the stone is 61.2?

It’s mathematical. If you reduce the diameter of the stone enough, you can get to 63% depth.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results