shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for very small solitaire

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Confession, my large bling sits in the safe unworn and I'd prefer to wear a small (under 0.5 carat, preferably 0.25 carat) solitaire in 2-tone 18k yellow gold with platinum head, preferably basket cathedral like the Cartier 1895.
Does diamond cut and matter as much in such a small size? I have (pricescope) high standards and would prefer superideal or genuine antique. Would a design this small hold up to every day wear?

Anyone recommend a vendor for this project?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad that you asked this question. I keep downsizing and have settled on .25 to.35 carat. My standards are not PS but I have been curious how low I can go and still get some sparkle. I’m looking at Etsy for something vintage I’m a very simple setting. Can’t wait to read what the experts say.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Appreciate the +1 EAPJ.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like in a small size diamond cut and clarity matter even more. You want a little sparkler, right? And at a smaller size, it’s not like it’s going to be super expensive to get premium performance.
With good light return, your diamond that is smaller in size, may even appear a bit bigger. ;)2

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have owned a number of old cuts and a few MRBs in this size and cut quality absolutely matters! I would actually recommend you stick with an MRB at this size. When you are talking about a diamond between 4mm and 5mm, I have found that you cannot appreciate the facet patterning in old cuts at all. I also find old cuts in that size range a little underwhelming bc they are not as flashy.

But MRBs in that size range are great! If you purchase an AGS0 or GIA XXX diamond it will have all the desirable optical qualities even in that smaller size. Recently, I purchased a couple of MRBs that were .30ct each and the optics were great.

This is a set I owned many moons ago and it was very lovely. The solitaire was about .25ct and the half eternity was 5pt diamonds. It felt substantial and delicate at the same time, and was not too flashy. This is my favourite setting style for diamonds in this size range.

dreamerryderring12.jpg

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This question reminds me of someone wishing for a suite of either French or Peruzzi cuts for a five or seven stone band & finding them TOO BRIGHT!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ponyrider

Rough_Rock
I agree with buying the best you can afford. I love the smaller diamonds set in a bezel or a simple 4 prong high setting.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel like in a small size diamond cut and clarity matter even more. You want a little sparkler, right? And at a smaller size, it’s not like it’s going to be super expensive to get premium performance.
With good light return, your diamond that is smaller in size, may even appear a bit bigger. ;)2

Definitely want a little sparkler of a diamond, and a beautiful setting in an appropriately scaled size that doesn't look like it was made for a larger stone.

I have owned a number of old cuts and a few MRBs in this size and cut quality absolutely matters! I would actually recommend you stick with an MRB at this size. When you are talking about a diamond between 4mm and 5mm, I have found that you cannot appreciate the facet patterning in old cuts at all. I also find old cuts in that size range a little underwhelming bc they are not as flashy.

But MRBs in that size range are great! If you purchase an AGS0 or GIA XXX diamond it will have all the desirable optical qualities even in that smaller size. Recently, I purchased a couple of MRBs that were .30ct each and the optics were great.

This is a set I owned many moons ago and it was very lovely. The solitaire was about .25ct and the half eternity was 5pt diamonds. It felt substantial and delicate at the same time, and was not too flashy. This is my favourite setting style for diamonds in this size range.

dreamerryderring12.jpg

Dreamer - extremely helpful advice, I love your set and appreciate you posting - that's the look I'm going for, but with a 2-tone cathedral basket setting like Brain Gavin Elegance below. My biggest concern is how it would look with a much smaller center stone.

I hadn't thought about the old cut facets and size, my OEC/transitional from my profile has giant checkerboard facets over 7mm. I mentioned preferring near colourless range because I don't appreciate the look of a high colour stone but I do appreciate light reflection. I'm getting the 'go superideal or go home' vibe from all responses - thanks for the consensus.

My hope for a wedding set is to combine a 0.25ct solitaire with the now-discontinued Tiffany 3pt 9-stone shared setting in 18k yellow gold with platinum (my stepmother has this in all platinum and it's gorgeous - wish I'd taken her up on the offer to buy me the YG/Plat version when it was still available new).

BGel1.JPG
BGel2.JPG

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This question reminds me of someone wishing for a suite of either French or Peruzzi cuts for a five or seven stone band & finding them TOO BRIGHT!

BGD for sure, and WF and HPD. Beautiful super ideal cut vendors with great upgrade programs just in case you change your mind in the future.

I have personally used the BGD upgrade program multiple times and it is easy peasy

Ooh thanks SimoneD and Pinto - love hearing from experienced long-time pricescopers! I will go with a superideal vendor after the unanimous recommendation that it's worth it even in this size. I love the stone you linked that sold - something like that but in a lower colour is perfect.

Not ruling out changing my mind, but I am ruling out an upgrade for this, since I want the perfect setting for a smaller stone. I'd just buy more rings/diamonds as my heart desires in future.

I agree with buying the best you can afford. I love the smaller diamonds set in a bezel or a simple 4 prong high setting.

Budget is not an issue - assume unlimited budget, I should have specified initially.

Reactions: AV_

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a nice cathedral like you posted will look great with a diamond in this size range. TBH I would go with something in the .30-.40 range. I think 4.5mm is a very nice size where you can appreciate the light play but the diamond is still unassuming.

I don't happen to think you need to go "super ideal" with your MRB :geek2: My attitude about diamond cut has changed so much over the last decade as I have experienced such a wide variety of diamonds first hand, both old and new cut. I think you can easily get a non-branded diamond that will knock your socks off if you select GIA XXX and run the numbers through the HCA. I happen to prefer proportions that are not in the "super ideal" range (as does @yssie for what its worth). I look for a table closer to 55% or smaller combined with a slightly higher crown height (~15% or more if possible) and shorter lower halves (under 75% if possible). These proportions are closer to transitional proportions and produce a slightly chunkier look with more contrast patterning. It wouldn't be super noticable in a 4.5mm stone, because you can't appreciate faceting much in that size anyway, but I do think a smaller diamond benefits from a cut that favors chunkier flash. Smaller diamonds typically tend to favor splintery patterning and pushing back against that is a good thing IMO.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can go on James Allen (at least they're good for one thing) and look at their recently bought rings. Look at the .5 and less carat weight with
yellow gold solitaires to see what those size stones might look like in a setting like the BGD setting. Here is a link.
https://www.jamesallen.com/diamond-...=12&Sort=SumCarat&CaratFrom=0.20&CaratTo=0.50

Its weird but at the .5 and less size range I prefer a thicker shank and a setting like @dreamer_dachsie posted above. Plus I like it set low...low as possible.
(for a larger stone I prefer around a 2- 2.3 mm shank).

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can go on James Allen (at least they're good for one thing) and look at their recently bought rings. Look at the .5 and less carat weight with
yellow gold solitaires to see what those size stones might look like in a setting like the BGD setting. Here is a link.
https://www.jamesallen.com/diamond-...=12&Sort=SumCarat&CaratFrom=0.20&CaratTo=0.50

Its weird but at the .5 and less size range I prefer a thicker shank and a setting like @dreamer_dachsie posted above. Plus I like it set low...low as possible.
(for a larger stone I prefer around a 2- 2.3 mm shank).

This!! Just browsing affirms my style choice. I even found one just like I wanted except it doesn't have the platinum/white gold 2 tone.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...gold-sleek-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49887

You said that browsing is what JA is good for - I'm not sure I'd be happy with the make of this seeing the clunky prongs. Do you have any vendor recommendations? Am I too picky? Do premium handmade vendors even work on rings for diamonds this small?

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Re clunky prongs: I think that's always so much more obvious in these magnified photos. My rings prongs looked substantial in photos but in real life are petite and beautiful.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@lydial Two beautiful rings ... Small rings are a lost art!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just as an FYI, I saw @John Pollard mention in another thread that CBI are considering cutting stones smaller than 0.3ct, which is great news IMO :))

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have both of those saved as favorites!

I ordered a different one from Etsy. I went against the advice of the experts on this thread and purchased a small .25 ct OEC ring. I don’t care for modern cuts and have an OEC pendant that is small and very sparkly (purchased from a PSer!) so I’m hoping for the same here. I ordered and returned one ring that was an OEC three stone since the diamonds weren’t sparkly but I have high hopes for this one. I like old cuts and don’t look for perfect performance, I just look for what I like. Fingers crossed!

Sorry to hijack, @quaddio!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results