shape
carat
color
clarity

Recent Diamond Purchase - Potential Buyer's Regret - HELP!

DiamondRVA

Rough_Rock
I purchased a diamond from James Allen, and did not request an IdealScope image. I realize this was a mistake and want to make sure I didn't make a big mistake on a large purchase (for me, at least). My budget was $10k for the diamond alone, fyi.

Below are the characteristics - would really appreciate the experts weighing in. I can still return the diamond - but the 30 days are coming to an end soon..

Thank you in advance for any help!

SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.62
COLOR: I
CLARITY: VS2
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W/D (MM): 7.64*7.60*4.58

L/W RATIO: 1.01
DEPTH %: 60.10
GIRDLE: Thin - Medium
TABLE %: 59.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 34.00
CROWN %: 14.00
PAVILION ∠: 40.80
PAVILION %: 43.00

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Recent Diamond Purchase - Potential Buyer's Regret - HEL

What was the JA item code?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's a 60/60 style stone with very good angles and a large spread - it will give off more white light return than colored light return. Should be a bright stone but won't be as fiery as a stone with a higher crown angle. You're seeing it with your own eyes though - do YOU like it?

My problem with it is that it looks more tinted to me than the other I's and even has a bit of a silver tinge to it. It could be a low I which is more similar to a J color. Not sure if that bothers you or the wearer. Diamonds with undertones other than yellow are also discounted and not desired, which doesn't matter if YOU like the stone. Also, what type of setting are you putting it in?

This is a very nice stone but considerably smaller: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.51-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1989312 (would also need an IS)

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks beautiful.
GIA X, HCA less than 2.0, and AGS ideal proportions.

I have noticed that diamonds with 33~34 crown angle generally have less light leakage than say 34.5~35.5 ( no data or theory to support. Just my experience)

You want to be sure, though,
1. Visit an appraiser who has an IS/ASET (best option since the stone costs 10k. )
2. Get an ASET/IS scope for yourself
Or
3. Return the ring to JA, and have the stone viewed thru an IS scope ( you may choose to keep or get a refund depending on the result)

DiamondRVA

Rough_Rock

ac117|1471622692|4067694 said:
It's a 60/60 style stone with very good angles - it will give off more white light return than colored light return. Should be a bright stone but won't be as fiery as a stone with a higher crown angle. You're seeing it with your own eyes though - do YOU like it?

My problem with it is that it looks more tinted to me than the other I's and even has a bit of a silver tinge to it. It could be a low I which is more similar to a J color. Not sure if that bothers you or the wearer. Diamonds with undertones other than yellow are also discounted and not desired, which doesn't matter if YOU like the stone. Also, what type of setting are you putting it in?

Thank you, ac for your time reviewing the stone! Very detailed review, thank you.

I do/did like it, but for some reason, I thought it would appear more fiery, to use your word. It hit all of my criteria (4 C's and then the cut standards), but to your point, it just doesn't sparkle or shine like I thought it should when I got it back.. I guess I didn't fully pay attention to the yellow undertones which do bother me now, as I want the stone to appear closer to a H vs. a J.. We are putting it in a thin platinum pave (sidestone) diamond band.

What Crown angle would you advise to shift toward if I ultimately decide to begin my exchange search?

DiamondRVA

Rough_Rock

flyingpig|1471622949|4067697 said:
It looks beautiful.

I have noticed that diamonds with 33~34 crown angle generally have less light leakage than say 34.5~35.5 ( no data or theory to support. Just my experience)

1. Visit an appraiser who has an IS/ASET (best option since the stone costs 10k. )
Or
3. Return the ring to JA, and have the stone viewed thru an IS scope ( you may choose to keep or get a refund depending on the result)

Thank you, flyingpig. I'm pretty excited about the stone, but there's always that tinge of doubt when making a large purchase. I realize the idealscope omission was an error, so I began freaking out a bit.

I will take your advice and make a visit to the appraiser with an IS/ASET scope this weekend! I need to act fast, as I need to return the stone in a week to make the 30 day return window.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DiamondRVA|1471623671|4067703 said:
flyingpig|1471622949|4067697 said:
It looks beautiful.

Or

Thank you, flyingpig. I'm pretty excited about the stone, but there's always that tinge of doubt when making a large purchase. I realize the idealscope omission was an error, so I began freaking out a bit.

I will take your advice and make a visit to the appraiser with an IS/ASET scope this weekend! I need to act fast, as I need to return the stone in a week to make the 30 day return window.

Certainly the best option. For a 10k purchase, you want to have it appraised anyways for a second opinion, to check for any damage, and to ensure the stone matches the GIA report.

It is not just the crown angle. Dispersion (fire/sparkle) mostly happens on crown facets. Since the diamond has a large table, it has relatively smaller crown facets. Regardless of the angle, due to the smaller size, you get less dispersion. However, it is still AGS Ideal proportions. It should not significantly suffer in dispersion category. The diamond excels in spread and white light return at least based on the proportions.
You may consider exchanging it for a stone with a smaller table and a steeper crown angle (34.5~35.5).
But it is beautiful in its own right, and for 60/60 style, and still mostly likely a top level GIA X.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DiamondRVA|1471623542|4067702 said:
ac117|1471622692|4067694 said:
It's a 60/60 style stone with very good angles - it will give off more white light return than colored light return. Should be a bright stone but won't be as fiery as a stone with a higher crown angle. You're seeing it with your own eyes though - do YOU like it?

Thank you, ac for your time reviewing the stone! Very detailed review, thank you.

I do/did like it, but for some reason, I thought it would appear more fiery, to use your word. It hit all of my criteria (4 C's and then the cut standards), but to your point, it just doesn't sparkle or shine like I thought it should when I got it back.. I guess I didn't fully pay attention to the yellow undertones which do bother me now, as I want the stone to appear closer to a H vs. a J.. We are putting it in a thin platinum pave (sidestone) diamond band.

What Crown angle would you advise to shift toward if I ultimately decide to begin my exchange search?

I'm sure it's a VERY pretty stone! Just has a different flavor ;-) You'd want to look for angle combo of 1. CA 35/PA 40.8 or 40.6 or 2. CA 35.5 or 36/PA 40.6 only..but combo #2 only if you could get an IS/ASET bc the higher CA sometimes leads to light return leakage.

DiamondRVA

Rough_Rock

Thank you to everyone who responded - means a lot. I'm overwhelmed and over my head, even after several months of research.. I'm leaning toward keeping the stone, but am a little concerned as I compare the current diamond to other similar I's. That combined with the platinum ring - I'm growing more concerned..

Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar diamond on James Allen? The only two constraints for me are a $10k budget and a 1.5 carat - future fiance's only stipulation. I'd like to stay at or above an I for color, but am obviously open to any suggestions..

Thank you in advance!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DiamondRVA

Rough_Rock

Pinto, AC, and flying - thank you for all of your suggestions! I know what I'll be doing the last 2 hours of "work".... :dance:

At the end of the day - am I just looking for trouble / splitting hairs by trying to upgrade the stone I have within the tight budget of $10k? I do like the size (one of the reasons I pulled the trigger) but I am worried about some of the fire and the yellow-ish color.. Will this not be as noticeable on a platinum sidestone/pave setting?

I'm so thankful for all of you and the depth of knowledge you all have shared. If my future fiance knew I was going to these lengths for her diamond, she'd tell me to stop bothering you nice people and just buy the setting and be done already :wall:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is no right or wrong answer to this! It's really about the color tolerance of the wearer. Some people see color more than others but an I color is by no means yellow. Many people here on PS have I colored stones here in wg/platinum so maybe spend some time searching and looking at pictures.

Another option would be to go to your nearest Hearts on Fire dealer (leave your wallet at home...they're called wallets on fire for a reason!). Call in advance (don't tell them you have a stones) and tell them you want to look at 1.5-1.6 carat stones in the H and I color range so you could gauge for yourself the difference.

As for the size difference, this is your stone compared to the stone flyingpig posted.

diamondrva_comparison.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the cut looks okay. I do wonder if it is a lower color I, though, because I sure do see a lot of tint in that video.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

One more thing. If you go down closer to 1.5 cts, watch the diameter and make sure you get at least 7.4mm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results