shape
carat
color
clarity

Rear-facing . . . for how long?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1354220397|3318587 said:
amc80 - I do not know the reasoning and was genuinely surprised to learn that it varies from seat-to-seat. :confused: I used to keep the handle up when putting the seat into the base, then click it down, drive, click it up, then remove. So, you can still use the handle to put kid in and out of car. I will say, I am the slowest of the slow with all carseats in all parking lots. It just takes me so long to get her in and out and clicked in appropriately. And, I haven't even been doing it properly!

See, because DH is 6'7", it means at least one of the seats is always all the way back...which makes it nearly impossible to even get the handle down. The only way to do it is move the seat forward, put the handle down, then move the seat back. PITA.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1354221578|3318600 said:
Loves Vintage|1354220397|3318587 said:
amc80 - I do not know the reasoning and was genuinely surprised to learn that it varies from seat-to-seat. :confused: I used to keep the handle up when putting the seat into the base, then click it down, drive, click it up, then remove. So, you can still use the handle to put kid in and out of car. I will say, I am the slowest of the slow with all carseats in all parking lots. It just takes me so long to get her in and out and clicked in appropriately. And, I haven't even been doing it properly!

See, because DH is 6'7", it means at least one of the seats is always all the way back...which makes it nearly impossible to even get the handle down. The only way to do it is move the seat forward, put the handle down, then move the seat back. PITA.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, gotcha! My DH is like 5'11". If I'm driving, he sits in the back. :cheeky:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the handle should be back because if you got in an accident it could break off and bash your kid in the head or face :blackeye: I don't think the handle is made to withstand force. That is always what I assumed! Seems reasonale :sun:

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Every infant bucket has different handle guidelines. Our Chicco had three approved positions that could be used. I initially would load DS with the handle down the back because his face was blocked in the mirror otherwise. When older, I would leave it up as I had read about the handle acting as an additional "roll bar" in an accident.

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
AMC You just gave me the first laugh of the morning! I know you didn't mean to though...It's fascinating to me how many regulations we have now and how we survived our childhoods with none of them. I think your mom gets points for creativity though.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
pavelover said:
AMC You just gave me the first laugh of the morning! I know you didn't mean to though...It's fascinating to me how many regulations we have now and how we survived our childhoods with none of them. I think your mom gets points for creativity though.

I know, not sure how I survived. I've got better stories than that. Hmm, this could be a fun new thread!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
How did any of our parents survive either! The sad thing is, many more kids DID die in car accidents back then :blackeye:

We got our Radian and it is really heavy, but fits well in the car and is much more comfortable RF with a larger kid. More leg room.

Does anyone have two Radians? They SAY you can fit three accross the back seat. I am wondering if we got a second for our older son, if we could put them side by side and still have room for one person to sit in the back seat. This would really be helpful when one of our moms visits. Anyone do this?

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I think Kunzite has 3 Radians in her back row. We have a Radian RXT and really like it so far.

Question, for mamas whose kiddos are facing forward, how do you extricate the kid without waking them? I'm really good at removing Ethan without waking if he falls asleep in the car. I would love to be able to continue it for as long as I can.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1354506706|3321044 said:
How did any of our parents survive either! The sad thing is, many more kids DID die in car accidents back then :blackeye:

We got our Radian and it is really heavy, but fits well in the car and is much more comfortable RF with a larger kid. More leg room.

Does anyone have two Radians? They SAY you can fit three accross the back seat. I am wondering if we got a second for our older son, if we could put them side by side and still have room for one person to sit in the back seat. This would really be helpful when one of our moms visits. Anyone do this?

I have 2 Radians. I actually have to take my daughter's out to readjust her straps, so if you want, I can take my son's out too (easier for me to install his) and put them both in our backseat. Granted, it's a mini-van, so would be wider maybe than a car?? I know that I can sit btwn both seats in the so-called "8th seat" in the 2nd row, which is basically like a little jump seat btwn the 2 captain's chairs.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
OK, it was hard for me to take a picture of me sitting in btwn, so here are three- one with me in btwn and an odd angle, one with the seats next to each other, and one with the seats apart. I am an average-sized person and while not roomy, definitely not cramped either.

redactedinbtwn.jpg

back_seat_apart.jpg

back_seat_together.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lliang_chi|1354511515|3321093 said:
Question, for mamas whose kiddos are facing forward, how do you extricate the kid without waking them? I'm really good at removing Ethan without waking if he falls asleep in the car. I would love to be able to continue it for as long as I can.

You don't 8) I just read a book or surf the web while he finishes his nap! lol! Or we take a scenic drive.

Logan! You are too awesome. If you are inclined, can you use a tape measure to measure the distance from one door handle to the other when the doors are closed? My car is not a mimi-van, but it is larger than a regular car, so knowing the measurement of your backseat would really help :)) Then I can compare to mine!

Both our moms are small women, both about 5'3" and small/medium build. So if our backseat is not too much smaller than yours it looks like they might fit.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1354603678|3322031 said:

You don't 8) I just read a book or surf the web while he finishes his nap! lol! Or we take a scenic drive.

Logan! You are too awesome. If you are inclined, can you use a tape measure to measure the distance from one door handle to the other when the doors are closed? My car is not a mimi-van, but it is larger than a regular car, so knowing the measurement of your backseat would really help :)) Then I can compare to mine!

Both our moms are small women, both about 5'3" and small/medium build. So if our backseat is not too much smaller than yours it looks like they might fit.

Yes, no problem, but I'm at work now and won't be home until tonight. Just in case, here are the specs (scroll down) of the 2010 model we have: http://www.edmunds.com/honda/odyssey/2010/features-specs.html?style=101193253.. Not sure if that's helpful or not. So, in the third row where I put the seats, there is no door handle. There are two somewhat bulky cupholders/storage space units, which take up a little room. If you look at the interior photos, you can see what the area looks like.

I'm also 5'3" with a slimmer average build.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since its the third row and you have cup holders there, I bet its about the same width! Thanks so much for doing this, it really helps to have the "first hand" numbers and pictures. I think at the store they might have a floor model too, not that I think of it, and would probably let us take it to the car and install and check :read: So if its too much trouble to measure don't worry about it :))

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
ya Dreamer this is what I have been considering doing too. Im so curious to know if I can fit three across in my mdx with my current car seats (doubt it) but I don't have all the car seats here with me now. I have plenty of time to figure it out but for some reason this issue is foremost in my mind lol. I really don't want to shell out more money as we have two britax, and one infant carrier graco and now a booster harness for my oldest. would love to use what i have. my friend really discouraged putting my 4 yr old with newborns in the same row. anyone have any input here? Kunzite if yours are three in a row how does it work out?

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
pavelover|1354643870|3322295 said:
ya Dreamer this is what I have been considering doing too. Im so curious to know if I can fit three across in my mdx with my current car seats (doubt it) but I don't have all the car seats here with me now. I have plenty of time to figure it out but for some reason this issue is foremost in my mind lol. I really don't want to shell out more money as we have two britax, and one infant carrier graco and now a booster harness for my oldest. would love to use what i have. my friend really discouraged putting my 4 yr old with newborns in the same row. anyone have any input here? Kunzite if yours are three in a row how does it work out?

I don't know how a 4yo would be, but our 2yo loves sitting with the babies! I think he'd hate being in the third row alone! What is your friends reason?

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Doing something to the babies I think? Thanks for the feedback. I think my son would be pretty trustworthy but I guess I would just have to monitor at the beginning. What kind of car are you working with Kunzite? I can't remember.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I think you'll be fine with a 4 years old next to the newborn. I would be more worried with a 2 or 3 years old. I can reason much more with my daughter now than when she was younger.

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Qtiekki! Yeah that's what i was thinking. But now I need to find three seats that fit, lol. How are you???? post any pics recently?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I think Kunzite has 3 Radians in her back row. We have a Radian RXT and really like it so far.

yeah she said that!

Hollie from Baby Gizmo has 3 Radian's let me see if I can find her pic. brb

eta: wait, she has 2 other types of carseats and 1 Radian so they all fit in her Honda Accord.

http://blog.babygizmo.com/2011/07/how-to-fit-three-convertible-car-seat-in-a-sedan/

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
pavelover|1354725173|3323172 said:
Thanks Qtiekki! Yeah that's what i was thinking. But now I need to find three seats that fit, lol. How are you???? post any pics recently?

Fitting three seats is the tough one. LOL. I am doing well. Time is running, and my kids are growing too fast. My avatar is pretty recent from few weeks ago. How are you doing? When are the babies due?

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Qtiekki the profile pic is adorbs! They look like they are having fun. I am doing ok. 21 weeks today and due April 19. Very curious to see what the real birth date will be? It is crazy how fast the time goes, isn't it? Seems like yesterday I was trying to comfort a crying newborn, lol. Now I'm trying to stop him from killing himself when he jumps off the couch to practice "flying". lol.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Question for all of you car seat experts- Does it matter if the baby's shoulders are too wide for the seat? B's still got room at the top of his seat (about 2 inches), but his shoulders are too broad now. He ends up sort of twisting himself so he isn't flat against the back of the seat, but at a bit of an angle. You always hear about the height and weight maximums, but never about this...

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
pavelover|1354660084|3322556 said:
Doing something to the babies I think? Thanks for the feedback. I think my son would be pretty trustworthy but I guess I would just have to monitor at the beginning. What kind of car are you working with Kunzite? I can't remember.

Pave, we have a Pilot. DH researched it a ton and there aren't many cars that will fit three in a row.

I was adjusting O's straps and tried to take a picture of all three, but he's sort of blocking the middle seat in this picture. And no, he doesn't go in his seat with his coat, he just didn't want to take it off but also wanted to be in the picture :cheeky:

_2373.jpg

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kunzite! Cute picture, btw :). Yeah I found on carseats . org that three seats can fit but mostly they mention the radian. I guess we will just have to start experimenting. I'm tempted to try tyler in the 3rd row before babies are here and sell it as a big boy place but also nervous about putting him back there and exposing him to more risk. The worry never ends, lol. I posted about my specific seats but didn't receive any replies :(. I think I write really wordy posts and people just glaze over...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results