shape
carat
color
clarity

Rear-facing . . . for how long?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For how long will (or did) you rearface your toddler's carseat?

The AAP advises parents to keep toddlers in rear-facing car seats until age two, or until they exceed the height or weight limit for the car seat. I called the manufactuer of my car seat, Britax, and they said the same thing. (Well, I was actually calling for help with adjusting the harness, but figured I would just ask them too.) I mentioned this to one of the drs at my pediatrician's office and was surprised when she told me age 2 is sufficient. :confused: I tried to explain that the recommendation is until 2 or to the seat's limits, but she just talked over me. She said that the real concern is whiplash, their necks are stronger, and don't need to be rear-facing when they are older (because I had mentioned people on-line talking about their 4 year olds still rf'g.)

I haven't really spent much time looking into why the recommendation is what it is, and we do plan to rear-face as long as the seat will allow, but curious what others are doing, and/or whether their pediatrician has a conflicting opinion with the rec.

I'll also add that nearly everyone else I know or see (like at daycare) forward faces already. How can people not know what the recommendation is?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We will RF until B's legs are too long to do so. Which at the rate he's growing will probably be a year or so.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LV, we turned DS around at 2. I know there's a lot of controversy on the topic and a lot of parents will keep their kids rear facing as long as possible - ie. 3 or 4 years old. Many kids are content rear facing but DS just wasn't. Once his legs were too long, he would sit with his legs forced straight and tense the entire time and say he was "stuck". If S is happy, I would keep her rear facing personally.

AMC, supposedly many kids are perfectly happy rear facing even when their legs must be bent. You should google it and you'll see some pics of 3 and 4 year olds sitting happily with legs bent. Unfortunately, my DS wasn't one of them!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
I've also found that people are either uninformed about RFing or just don't care. We plan to RF until the boys hit the seat limits and all of the comments we've gotten are about how mean we are (I cannot insert enough eye rolls :rolleyes: ). Your pedi is right that it's about neck/spine strength, but from what I've read this isn't actually better until around age 8 but you can't exactly RF to that size... thus as long as possible.

AMC - just to clarify, it's not leg length but torso length that they outgrow because of where the shoulder straps hit.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kunzite, mean? Really? :roll: The extended rear facing was definitely a change for me because DD is so much older than DS and things had changed so much. When DD was little, it was commonplace to turn them around at 1 year old. DD was so small that she had to be in the carseat until middle school! I was told I was mean as well. It's scary because, at 17 years old, she weighs 88 lbs and technically doesn't even weigh enough to sit in the front seat and she's learning to drive! :-o

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't read the responses, but I would keep them RFing as long as possible, there is compelling videos out there showing their bodies absorb the impact ffing. I might change them at 2 but before that, no.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1352997250|3307242 said:
I haven't read the responses, but I would keep them RFing as long as possible, there is compelling videos out there showing their bodies absorb the impact ffing.

Ditto. We are RFing for as LONG as we can. It really is so much safer. I don't care if we get weird comments or looks, personally. I'm really passionate about this issue. We specifically bought a car seat that had a high weight limit for rear facing so we could do it as long as possible. My son seems happy and content RFing, so no problems there.

As far as the leg thing, it's really not an issue for us. Kids are pretty flexible and I don't think L cares or seems uncomfortable in any way. I'm assuming he will just get used to bending his legs.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kunzite|1352991006|3307178 said:
I've also found that people are either uninformed about RFing or just don't care. We plan to RF until the boys hit the seat limits and all of the comments we've gotten are about how mean we are (I cannot insert enough eye rolls :rolleyes: ). Your pedi is right that it's about neck/spine strength, but from what I've read this isn't actually better until around age 8 but you can't exactly RF to that size... thus as long as possible.

AMC - just to clarify, it's not leg length but torso length that they outgrow because of where the shoulder straps hit.

UGH, I put something about RF on my FB because I had a friend that didn't know it was safer and I didn't realize how controversial it was until people left comments saying, "their poor legs" and something along the lines, "you are mean they can't see out the window! " The Youtube video says it all, plus their are parents out there that didn't keep their kids RF that were in accidents pleading for others not to do what they did. I feel like a little discomfort for 20 min car ride isn't a big deal, but that is my opinion.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
We are RFing our 2.5 year old until at least 3, then we'll reevaluate. He has a Diono Radian, which has a taller shell than Britax, enabling longer RFing for taller (esp. long-torsoed) kids (he is 38.5" and just turned 2.5 last month). One of the reasons I like Diono is that most kids will outgrow the seat by height before weight so the taller shell is perfect for that. They also have newer seats like the Graco Size4Me70 that is actually even taller than the Radian.

My ped's website says that when they turn one, you should move them to a forward-facing seat. I about passed out when I read that!

I will say that when we take long car rides, like 8 or 9 hour rides, my son complains about his legs. You can tell there's definitely discomfort as he's walking his legs up the back of the car seat, hanging them over the edge, etc. He starts kicking the seat and screaming that his legs hurt. Having said that, we rarely take long rides and the rest of the time he's perfectly fine. His sister forward faces and he's only asked once why his seat is turned backwards. And, in our other car, he's outgrown the Britax RFing so is FF. We don't drive it often, but he's never had a problem going btwn a FF and RF seat.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1353027674|3307591 said:
We are RFing our 2.5 year old until at least 3, then we'll reevaluate. He has a Diono Radian, which has a taller shell than Britax, enabling longer RFing for taller (esp. long-torsoed) kids (he is 38.5" and just turned 2.5 last month). One of the reasons I like Diono is that most kids will outgrow the seat by height before weight so the taller shell is perfect for that. They also have newer seats like the Graco Size4Me70 that is actually even taller than the Radian.

My ped's website says that when they turn one, you should move them to a forward-facing seat. I about passed out when I read that!

I will say that when we take long car rides, like 8 or 9 hour rides, my son complains about his legs. You can tell there's definitely discomfort as he's walking his legs up the back of the car seat, hanging them over the edge, etc. He starts kicking the seat and screaming that his legs hurt. Having said that, we rarely take long rides and the rest of the time he's perfectly fine. His sister forward faces and he's only asked once why his seat is turned backwards. And, in our other car, he's outgrown the Britax RFing so is FF. We don't drive it often, but he's never had a problem going btwn a FF and RF seat.

Gah! :-o

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I'll chime again and say that my 4.5 year old daughter also has a Radian and Britax Frontier and is FFing in both seats. What I've noticed is that on these long trips, her legs are uncomfortable hanging down off her seat and she searches around trying to put her feet up. She is over the weight limit to RF, but I do think she finds it more comfy to cross her legs (which she can do in the Radian but not in the Frontier).

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Often, it is difficult for me to assess whether I am being unreasonable or not. Looks like I'm not!

Puppmom - S very happily rear-faces, and she is tall -- 33 inches according to my standing-up-against-pantry-door-where-we-mark-her-height-every-now-and-again measurement. She even dances back there at times when random songs on the radio compel her to do so. :love:

LS - Wow! So, it's not just my pediatrician! Yikes!!!

Laila - What seat do you have? I read in the other thread that things are going very well for you with your new addition. I'm so happy for you!!!

Kunzite - People ask me why she's still rear-facing all the time. Fortunately, I haven't gotten negative comments, but one of my friends (her kids a little older, so she turned at one, as that was the rec at the time) asks me every time I see her when I am going to turn her. Last time, she told me she looked it up, and sees that it IS now 2, and then she was saying something about having to turn them when their legs are too long. I just change the subject. I don't know why she is so interested in this topic anyway!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I didn't realise children had to RF for so long. I thought I'd be turning Nicholas forward around 6 months! :roll:

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
We turned both of our girls at 2, although we could have waited longer. They had no problems with having to bend their knees. We have also had the complaint when FF on really long trips that their legs hurt while dangling too long. I now stack luggage under their feet.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LV!

We have this seat: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10880821 the Evenflo Symphony 65 e3. It goes from birth to 100 lbs! The car seat technician who installed it for us said it was good for extended rear facing, and we're happy with it so far. We also considered the Diono Radian that Logan Sapphire has--another really great seat! The only reason we went with the Evenflo Symphony over the Diono is that the Evenflo was in stock in the store and the other one wasn't.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
With DD, we FFed her when she turned 18 months (that was before they changed the recommendation to age 2). With DS, we FFed him when he was 27 months. My pedi actually never mentioned anything about RFing, and I never asked. I am surprised your pedi didn't go with AAP recommendation though. With that said though, a lot of my friends and relatives I know still turn their kids over at 1 because that's the law. I think they should change the law. I mean they change the age for booster seat in CA, surely they can change the RFing age.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
We turned our kids around 16-18 months. They both were pretty big and hated facing the rear because they were really uncomfortable, like screaming all the time. We turned Hunter at 18 months, but we turned Ryder just a few weeks ago at 16 months, but he weighs 28lbs and is 32 inches tall -- so he is the size of the average two year old. Now seeing these guidelines I am wondering if we should turn him to the rear again. Its safer to turn him to the rear, but it really crams him in at his size and he cries and whines and moans the whole time. Does anyone know if the child's size matters, not only the chronological age?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1353298515|3309905 said:
We turned our kids around 16-18 months. They both were pretty big and hated facing the rear because they were really uncomfortable, like screaming all the time. We turned Hunter at 18 months, but we turned Ryder just a few weeks ago at 16 months, but he weighs 28lbs and is 32 inches tall -- so he is the size of the average two year old. Now seeing these guidelines I am wondering if we should turn him to the rear again. Its safer to turn him to the rear, but it really crams him in at his size and he cries and whines and moans the whole time. Does anyone know if the child's size matters, not only the chronological age?

From my understanding, the child's size doesn't matter. You can have a large 16 month old or a small 16 month old, but the skeletal and spinal cord development, which is what affects the safety of rear facing or forward facing, will be the same in both children. What kind of car seat are you using?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1353324655|3309980 said:

From my understanding, the child's size doesn't matter. You can have a large 16 month old or a small 16 month old, but the skeletal and spinal cord development, which is what affects the safety of rear facing or forward facing, will be the same in both children. What kind of car seat are you using?

Yes, that's my understanding too. Spinal cord development isn't very strong in young children.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had Britax seats and kept them rear facing for over two years...as long as we could. Now, we're in the situation where my boys are still NOT suppose to be allowed to sit in the front seat (ages 10 and 12) and many of their friends sit in the front seats of their cars and have been for a few years. Not everyone pays attention to the laws or the basic safety recommendations so I just try and go by the law and not worry about what other parents decide to do!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Evan and Miles are 32 and 33 inches long/tall, and we have the Britax Blvd, and are RRing. It must depend on the vehicle (re:legs bent) because their legs a little bent but they are fine.

MC, that is good! My mom wouldn't let us ride in the front until we were in middle school. I have to laugh though because I am sure we weren't in carseats as babies!!! mid to late 70's here (my sis and I). :knockout: wasn't it in 82 when they req'd carseats for kids?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1353346639|3310185 said:
MC, that is good! My mom wouldn't let us ride in the front until we were in middle school. I have to laugh though because I am sure we weren't in carseats as babies!!! mid to late 70's here (my sis and I). :knockout: wasn't it in 82 when they req'd carseats for kids?

My mom had a VW bus. Apparently she took out the rear seats and set up the play pen, and that's what we rode in. I was born in 80 so 82 sounds about right. Super safe!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1353347321|3310196 said:
Skippy|1353346639|3310185 said:

My mom had a VW bus. Apparently she took out the rear seats and set up the play pen, and that's what we rode in. I was born in 80 so 82 sounds about right. Super safe!
Oh wow! You would think when moms made turns that the kids would go flying!!! Or did they put the bouncer on the floor? I am going to have to ask my mom what she did with me. lol

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1353327211|3309991 said:

Yes, that's my understanding too. Spinal cord development isn't very strong in young children.

We have the Britax Roundabout (the old one good to 35/40 lbs, not the 55 one). I think we will turn him backwards again and see how it goes.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1353353406|3310315 said:

We have the Britax Roundabout (the old one good to 35/40 lbs, not the 55 one). I think we will turn him backwards again and see how it goes.

We had that one too- Drew outgrew his RFing around 18 months. Since Ryder is a tall guy, you should check and double check that he isn't too tall for it.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting this info guys, we are trying for a baby in 6 months ish and we had no idea of how dangerous a crash can be in a forward facing seat. Those videos just make you feel sick. In Australia, they don't really push the backwards facing thing and most of my friends have switched their kids as soon as they can. I will be getting a seat that will keep them facing the back for as long as possible, I don't care if they get bored, I would rather them alive and safe.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1353354182|3310327 said:
Dreamer_D|1353353406|3310315 said:

We had that one too- Drew outgrew his RFing around 18 months. Since Ryder is a tall guy, you should check and double check that he isn't too tall for it.

It fits up to 15 inches bum to shoulder. I will check in the morning. ETA: His shoulders are only a weensy bit past the second-to-top "rung" on the harness, so I don't think he is too big for it.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, where is his head in relation to the top of the hard shell? The seat is outgrown when he has an inch or less of room from the top of the hard shell.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
honey22|1353366154|3310476 said:
Thanks for posting this info guys, we are trying for a baby in 6 months ish and we had no idea of how dangerous a crash can be in a forward facing seat. Those videos just make you feel sick. In Australia, they don't really push the backwards facing thing and most of my friends have switched their kids as soon as they can. I will be getting a seat that will keep them facing the back for as long as possible, I don't care if they get bored, I would rather them alive and safe.
It DOES make you feel sick to imagine their heads snapping like that; that was compelling enough for me to keep them RFing for as long as possible!!!! Congrats to you!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1353410806|3310856 said:
Dreamer, where is his head in relation to the top of the hard shell? The seat is outgrown when he has an inch or less of room from the top of the hard shell.

This thread show how to correctly measure if a kid had outgrown a RFing seat: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results