shape
carat
color
clarity

Really white diamond in yellow gold settig

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

As some of you know I acquired an absolutely lovely diamond from GOG for my 25th anniversary. I set it in a yellow gold setting to go with my original yellow gold band. As I''''ve worn it now for several months, I''''ve had the thought that it would have looked nicer in a white gold or platinum setting because its a E in color. I just would like some opinions on the best combination of diamond color and settings. When I was married in 1979 the majority of wedding settings were yellow gold. It doesn''''t look bad by any stretch of the imagination, I just hope it looks right and nicely enhanced.

What do you think out there?

Suz

P.S. Its in a simple solitar with plaitinum prongs

sparker

Shiny_Rock
I realized after posting that I should have put this question in Rocky Talky. Is there any way of switching?

Suz

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion is that the choice of e-ring metal is really a matter of personal preference.

I had a D color oval, now have an E color marquise, a F color marquise, and a F color pear all mounted in yellow gold.

The Platinum Guild is doing a wonderful job marketing that metal right now just like the World Gold Council did in the 1980s.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
CF is right. It''s about personal preference.

Now- am I sensing that maybe you want to set that beauty in something with sidestones???
31.gif
11.gif
9.gif

Or maybe you need a fancy diamond band to go with it.
30.gif

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
While the choice of metal color is personal preference, there is NO doubt to me that white diamonds simply look better in white metal.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Something commonly done is to put the stone in a white metal head (white gold or platinum) and leave it on a yellow gold shank. If the head is not too bulky it shouldn''t show a lot and will not reflect any yellow in the stone. My previous ring was done this way. Like everyone says, it is personal preference. You might go out looking and see what you like in terms of colors and color combinations.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
See, what happens is this. You think you know what you like. Then you join Pricescope and a whole new world opens up to you. And you realize that you don''t really know what you like! If fact, you like EVERYTHING! And you want it ALL! And the sad truth is, unless your name is Jennier, you cannot have it all. You must decide.

Go with your gut feeling. While I love the white gold on my sapphire/diamond ring, I still adore the yellow gold of my wedding ring. I also got married in 1979 and to me, yellow gold will always have a place in my heart.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I always thought I liked yellow gold better - that''s because a lot of the diamonds I saw set in wg or plat weren''t that great (color or sparkle)!!!! But now that I have a really nice diamond and the E/F color - set in WG, I love it!!!! I think that when you have a really nice diamond it looks so pretty that there are ENDLESS setting options! It would look great in almost any setting....
1.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like Patty and I were posting at about the same time.....and it looks like our views are similar: "so many settings, so little $$$!!!" I would love to have my diamond "try on" lots of settings....the choices are overwhelming, and they would all look good......decisions, decisions!!!!l

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Well, I agree is is a personal preference.

The trends for metal color flip flop back and forth over the years. At least today it seems that both are popular, although white metal (platinum and white gold) is the leader. I got married in 1986, and white metal was definitely *out* at that time. Most of my jewelery is 2-tone, so I can mix in a white or yellow item, and it all works together.

I like the way a very white diamond looks in yellow gold. The contrast is appealing. Sometime, to me, diamonds are lost in white metal because of the similarity in color. Then again, there are a few pieces that I have seen here that would not look good in yellow.

DiamondLil

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with diamond lil.....all diamonds look great with yellow gold, and sometimes it IS hard to tell the white gold from the diamond.....I solved that concern by having a band w/prong set diamonds - was never really crazy about white gold, actually...but you don''t SEE the white gold of my ring except the prong......all you see is diamonds.........that''s why you need to "try it on"....maybe on a build your own ring website...or have a jeweler show you settings, and placing a stone similar to yours in them....or Valeria is a pro at "cut and paste" photos here......................

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparker:

It''s all a personal preference issues as discussed above, or should I say below...

I was actaully your first response - on the other forum: But I posted while leonid was moving your post and my post got lost in never never land.... Leonid advised that I had to repost over here.

I said the same thing in a few more sentances, after advising you to PM Leonid.

Perry

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Everyone''s right--metal trends are just that--trends that will come and go, so make your decision on what you like.

White diamonds can look fantastic in YG...and white gold/platinum can also make stones seem bigger or the piece have an "all diamond" look--you see nothing but white sparkle...it''s really a personal preference. I know it''s really hard to decide.
1.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Sparker, this did get posted on Rocky Talky...I remember responding to it yesterday, as did others............
1.gif

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2005 11:40:59 AM
Author: sevens one
CF is right. It''s about personal preference.

Now- am I sensing that maybe you want to set that beauty in something with sidestones???
31.gif
11.gif
9.gif

Or maybe you need a fancy diamond band to go with it.
30.gif
Hi Sevens one,

You are right. I tried to upload a picture of a setting that I would love this beauty in. But, first I''ve got to get my son''s cello paid off first. You are so funny.

Suz

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2005 11:47:14 AM
Author: Patty
See, what happens is this. You think you know what you like. Then you join Pricescope and a whole new world opens up to you. And you realize that you don''t really know what you like! If fact, you like EVERYTHING! And you want it ALL! And the sad truth is, unless your name is Jennier, you cannot have it all. You must decide.

Go with your gut feeling. While I love the white gold on my sapphire/diamond ring, I still adore the yellow gold of my wedding ring. I also got married in 1979 and to me, yellow gold will always have a place in my heart.
You know, you are right. Yellow gold was so popular when we were married and my original skinny band is yellow and even though its skinny and plain, I''m so attached to it. I do have to say my new 1ct. makes anything look nice next to it.

Suz

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Here everyone, especially sevens one. This is the setting I would love to do the next time I feel flush with money. Why are diamonds so much fun. I get lost in the sparkle.

Suz

2004_0930Image0021.JPG

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
That setting is beautiful!!! Just the right amount of sidestone interest!!!! Wow!
emteeth.gif

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/23/2005 6:10:39 PM
Author: Maxine
That setting is beautiful!!! Just the right amount of sidestone interest!!!! Wow!
emteeth.gif
Now I''ve got to figure out how to print it off my computer and keep a picture of it to show to my favorite jeweler here in town.

Suz

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2005 6
6.gif
6.gif
1 PM
Author: sparker
Here everyone, especially sevens one. This is the setting I would love to do the next time I feel flush with money. Why are diamonds so much fun. I get lost in the sparkle.

Suz
OMG- SUZ!!!!!!!!
That is one of my favorites. I love that setting. I even have that one "saved" in a folder (thanks to DiamondLIL)

Check out www.americanfancies.com for matched sidestones.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
LOL, Nan. I''m here, and I just PM''d Sparker about my love for that design. The original is from Tradeshop I believe.

DiamondLil

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2005 7:54
6.gif
7 PM
Author: diamondlil
LOL, Nan. I''m here, and I just PM''d Sparker about my love for that design. The original is from Tradeshop I believe.

DiamondLil
small world eh?

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/23/2005 7:49:13 PM
Author: sevens one

Date: 1/23/2005 6
6.gif
6.gif
1 PM
Author: sparker

Suz
OMG- SUZ!!!!!!!!
That is one of my favorites. I love that setting. I even have that one ''saved'' in a folder (thanks to DiamondLIL)

Check out www.americanfancies.com for matched sidestones.
Thanks Sevens one,

I''m way behind. I checked out my PMs before looking at the forum. Thanks for you feedback.

Suz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results