shape
carat
color
clarity

Really sad for my GIA 3EX diamond with a HCA score of 3.6

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Re: Really sad for my GIA 3EX diamond with a HCA score of 3.

I'm not sure we're doing Frechopin any favors by continuing this thread.

Alternately, today, I find myself reflecting on strategies I've considered over the years. I find my own biases have only changed subtly, if that.

In particular, the need to understand the constraints any appraiser's wisdom can add, without the benefit of other diamonds to compare a choice against, continues for me. That was one idea I considered in this old thread...

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...r-a-diamond.26537/?hilit=necessary sufficient

Regards,

Ira Z.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

risingsun|1316556187|3021636 said:
John Pollard|1316546758|3021530 said:
First and last: What matters is that the OP loves the diamond and paid a fair price for it.

Regarding the various opinions given: Since GIA rounds data-points there is no way to know whether this diamond may be 57/34.7/41.1 (HCA 2.8 ) 57/35.2/41.3 (HCA 4.4) or somewhere in-between. Additionally, most of those data points are averages of 8-16 individual measurements. Grading report data cannot communicate how precisely a diamond is cut or how far variations from the average numbers go. This can have a notable positive - or negative - influence on contrast as well as visible dispersion or scintillation. In short, there is no way to know how this diamond appears in a quality-sense without seeing it firsthand.

Based on observations made by the OP and her gemologist - and reinforced by positive signs in the numbers such as 6.22-6.23 with EX/EX finish - it sounds like any potential dangers from being at the steep end of EX may have been compensated-for via cut consistency, brillianteering and minor-facet cutting choices.

Summary: Does this diamond pass the minimum requirements for GIA EX? Yes.
Is that enough for some people? Yes.
Is that enough for all people? No.

And that's why you have disagreement.

There is nothing wrong with disagreement. No-one who has posted here is "wrong." People simply have different tastes and thresholds. Part of the charm of this place is that new posters get to figure out which group of folks they're most similar-to in terms of taste and expectations. In that sense, a wider array of input and information provided during the journey can help lead a newcomer to the most satisfying ultimate destination.

John~
You are a breath of fresh air in this discussion. We are talking about opinions and suggestions. No one has the power to make a decision for the OP, but a jeweler is likely to have more influence than a regular PS member. I think that someone in the trade needs to take care when making recommendations. John, your post is the type of response that I see as helpful and educational :read:

Thanks for the kind words Risingsun.

Frankly there is not enough information in the thread for anyone to make a decisive comment (pro or con) about the subject-stone. Therefore the most we can collectively aspire to be is helpful and educational :) Nice to see that the OP made an intelligent decision after considering all points raised by invoking the most important element; how the diamond looks in real-life.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rockdiamond|1316548921|3021560 said:
John, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Sorry David, but where did we disagree?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I swear John, I see you name next to a thread like this and I think... AHHHHHHHH SANITY HAS RETURNED.

Please post more often. I'd personally appreciate it.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

If you are still in doubt go compare it to stones that are known to be well cut if you can find a good local B&M with well cut stones.
Tell them what you are doing and give them the option to price match etc.

best of luck
Garry

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock

Regular Guy said:
I'm not sure we're doing Frechopin any favors by continuing this thread.

I agree with you, so this is going to be my last post in this topic.

First of all, NONE of the PSers has seen neither the diamond nor the certificate in real life, so we all have to trust what the original poster says.

I suggested to return the diamond because Frechopin declared herself really sad when she discovered that her diamond has a HCA score of 3.6 : if you use the HCA calculator, I assume you want to have "the best" performer not only in terms of visual appereance (the" trust your eyes" advice works only if you're a diamond expert and thus you know exactly how a great diamond should look like), but also in terms of numbers...we all know that the HCA is a tool which has limitations, but if you're a perfectionist you want all the numbers to be fine in order to put your mind at peace...she has a 0.90 ct diamond (in any case a considerable amount of money), not a melee stone, so she deserves to be totally satisfied.

Once again, I think very highly of the diamond experts who posted in this topic: I read your every post carefully because I have a lot to learn from you, but I prefer people who post to prevail upon not to prevail against other PSers.

Best to all,
Purplesilk.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

John Pollard|1316577102|3021911 said:
John, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Sorry David, but where did we disagree?

No problem John! I know we agree on the vast majority of issues. Maybe I misunderstood your position in this case.

My position is that it was a mistake to advise return of a stone based on HCA score after said stone was approved on visual basis.

If you agree that stones graded EX cut grade by GIA are virtually never accurately described as "too deep", than we agree. The stone may be too deep for your or my taste, but clearly a .91ct spreading 6.2mm with GIA EX cut grade should not be described as "too deep" to a consumer questioning their purchase.

If there is a real "red flag"- I'd agree with the advice to return a stone.
But false negatives are very dangerous. Calling stones "steep deep" when they are not is a problem- especially for a consumer who believes the people describing the stone in that manner have some sort of inside into.

Is is right, as a tradesperson, to correct erroneous posts? I think it is- but it is dangerous as people may get insulted.

frechopin- you've made a great choice- I hope the fact your question sparked a little debate is ok with you.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Gypsy|1316577451|3021917 said:
I swear John, I see you name next to a thread like this and I think... AHHHHHHHH SANITY HAS RETURNED.

Haha. Thanks Gypsy. I surely miss folks like you in my periods of "too-busy-to-PS..." And while I won't guarantee sanity :naughty: I will try to come 'round as time permits.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

John Pollard|1316664948|3022677 said:
Gypsy|1316577451|3021917 said:

Haha. Thanks Gypsy. I surely miss folks like you in my periods of "too-busy-to-PS..." And while I won't guarantee sanity :naughty: I will try to come 'round as time permits.

Much Appreciated John!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rockdiamond|1316626518|3022244 said:
My position is that it was a mistake to advise return of a stone based on HCA score after said stone was approved on visual basis.
Sure. I agree that there was not enough data for a decisive assessment. But that sword cuts both ways. A diamond cannot be decisively approved with limited data either, yet describing "all GIA EX as well cut" would seem to serve that purpose?

I agree that there's a range of GIA EX- some GIA EX cut graded stones are more to my liking than others- yet all will be accurately described as "well cut".
I suggest that's your opinion David. And, just as others expressed opinions you did not agree-with, you should expect that others may disagree with your own.

I further suggest the EX issue is not simply about taste, it's also about lateral value. A diamond at the outside border of GIA EX may not qualify for top cut ratings from other labs. That may not matter to some but it's factual and relevant data which could matter to others. In that spirit I applaud the consumer helpers on Pricescope who take the time to understand the implications of differing proportions-sets; both what they can imply visually and in terms of lateral value.

Resultantly, on a forum where experienced posters work to make the safest recommendations, it's predictable that some folks will land on the conservative side when there is no more than lab report data to go on. Further information often reshapes and evolves the initial advice - as it did here.

In cases where a diamond being considered can actually be seen I believe the PS chorus is pretty good at urging newcomers to make note of the input offered here, but to use their eyes as final arbiters. The advice in Garry's post above is excellent and should be repeated to newcomers (find known top cuts to compare-to) since we pros we have experienced a vast span of cut quality & performance but not all newcomers have taken the time to do so. And to me that's an extremely fun part of the process ~ exploring and playing with dozens of diamonds in order to discover where your personal diamond "sweet spot" is.

Then of course you have some people (like my wife) who seem to have multiple diamond sweet spots! :love:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

From where I sit John, I see tremendous problems in representation of diamonds and jewelry.
Walking down 47th street each day- or surfing the web.
I'd like to be part of the effort to keep the business "clean"- which is large part of why I participate here.

We see people here on PS frequently trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Questions about sub standard lab reports for example.
" I was offered a J/SI2 graded by EGL and it's 50% cheaper than a GIA graded stone- the seller says they're the same thing"
Above is a great hypothetical example of where extreme caution is warranted- and skepticism of the seller's claim.

Please allow me to use a few more hypothetical situations to better explain my position. For the purposes of this discussion,both buyers bought from reputable sellers.
1) " I just bought a diamond- GIA graded triple EX, and I don't like how it looks. Was I sold a badly cut diamond?"
2) " I just bought a diamond - GIA graded triple EX and I plugged it into HCA and it got a bad score. Was I sold a badly cut diamond?"

John- if anyone wants to put themselves above GIA, they certainly have that right.
But from my perspective, we should be advising consumers to trust GIA or AGSL over tradespeople, or other labs.
We agree that there's a range of appearances in the cut grades.
This means not everyone will love every GIA triple EX ( or even those stones falling in the "sweet spot" overlap of AGS0 and GIA EX).

BUT- keeping in mind our duty to present accurate info as tradespeople, we are bound to advise both hypothetical folks that they did indeed buy a diamond considered well cut by GIA- and hence the trade at large. This does not necessarily mean it's the right stone for them- but they were not mislead by the seller about this issue.

In my first hypothetical, advising return seems to make sense- barring other factors.
IN the second case advising someone to return is wrong in my opinion. This was very much the case here. I agree that many times excellent advice is given on PS- this thread shows the other side.

Advising them to go look to see other well cut stones is generally a great idea.
But this too should be done without imparting one's own taste as if it's science. ( You need to find another because your triple EX GIA graded diamond is "bad" because it's "steep deep" - or another famous overused line "it's going to have leakage under the table")

In terms of market value- there are sellers who can command a premium for stones on the overlap zone- or other super ideal types of stones.
But my experience the general wholesale NY market pays ZERO attention to where a stone falls within the GIA EX cut grade when it comes to pricing.
The same for HCA scores- they have no impact whatsoever on a diamond's price in the general market.

IN terms of price, a triple EX is a triple EX. Period.
No one cares what it scores on HCA

This is different from other borderline grades.
For example: An SI1 which is really a borderline SI2 with a nasty imperfection is generally discounted versus an SI1 which is a borderline VS2-

In closing- thank goodness our wives love diamonds as much as they do- otherwise we'd probably both be sleeping in an alley somewhere:)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

Hi David,

Just thought I'd stop in and share what you really should be mindful of, as your being all collegial and stuff.

On the one hand, both GIA & AGS are cool, and both good.

At the same time, as you've discussed the inferiority of EGL, AGS commands some premium to GIA on the street.

And, some dealers who would only consider providing certification from AGS might even resent being lumped into the more broad categorization allowed by GIA, despite the fact that GIA does very well in the market, thank you very much. I think Paul has said as much, and he happens to be John's boss.

Nevermind that HCA follows both pretty well, with respect to the general pattern of valuing of better and poorer crown & pavilion angles. For you to comment on the relevance or irrelevance of HCA, this is something you should take at least some modest study of, David.

This thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ags-and-gia-cut-comparison-charts.41793/

now in the FAQ section, despite being 5 + years old, is probably reasonably current, though I'd be happy to be updated. You really should review it.

Because some people really feel that with diamonds...

AGS is like getting a car
GIA is like getting steak knives
and EGL is you're fired.

Love,

Ira Z.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi Ira,
My point is no way intended to cast any aspersions on the finer points discussed here on PS.
Indeed, there are some really well schooled PS non trade members- and of course we have only to look right here at John , and Karl- who utilized their knowledge to find positions within the industry. John travels the world- I'm proud to be his friend. Very proud of what he's accomplished.

There's nothing wrong in studying these finer points.
A huge percentage of the industry buys polished diamonds based on relating GIA reports to visual aspects ( no IS, ASET,HCA,ETC..)
Or assessing stones without GIA/AGSL reports solely on visual aspects.
Are they behind the times?
You could make that argument- but as we're all agreeing- disagreement is ok-
I don't think that's a fair statement to make in a blanket sense.

Bottom line here to me still the same.
We have folks debating the legitimacy of GIA cut grade.
I'm going with GIA.
I'd also go with AGSL in saying that a dealer suggesting any stone graded EX (GIA) or 0 (AGSL) is not misrepresented if advertised as a well cut diamond.

In stark contrast to many sites that grade cut on fancy shapes. In the vast majority of those cases, internet sellers grading cuts on fancy shapes with no basis.
There are notable exceptions here - a few of the PS sponsors utilize scientific techniques for grading their premium cut fancy shapes.
If there's basis for a claim of "really well cut" in fancy shapes, I'm for a seller using it.
But I really feel that the irresponsible use of cut grades on fancy shapes by sellers is reprehensible.

This is not that sort of thing.
You might not like the stone graded EX cut grade by GIA.
You might suggest that someone go out and look at the type of GIA EX cut grade stone you'd prefer.
They might share your taste- they might not.
But the stone with the GIA EX cut grade or the stone with the AGSL 0 cut grade is accurately described as "well cut" by a seller.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

I used to do business with a vendor in the diamond district. He didn't have a storefront. He was in one of the buildings and his office was built like a safe. He sourced the diamond for my original engagement ring. It was a very pretty stone. When I wanted to upgrade, we had a little chat. By that time, I had looked at top tier, AGS 0 stones. I compared them to my engagement ring and there was really no comparison. My vendor was most insistent that he could find me a beautiful stone without all the bells and whistles I was asking for. By that time, I had been learning about diamonds for several years and I knew what I wanted. We could not come to a meeting of the minds and I decided not to do business with him. I consider him to be an old school diamond vendor. This type of vendor might do very well for other customers, but was not a good fit for me.

I have since found a B&M jeweler and several online jewelers whom I trust to provide me with what I prefer. The B&M vendor may not use the tools that the online vendors use, but I own these tools and bring them myself. It has been an interesting exchange of knowledge. Do I expect him to start using these tools? Probably not. Does he expect that he will use them with me? Absolutely. My eyes are the most important tool that I have; however, I have used the education I received to help me see things now, which I had not seen in the past. This includes putting the diamond under a microscope and closely examining it from all angles and much more.

There are any number of ways to purchase a diamond. We have to find the way that works best for posters--and ourselves--in order to meet the individual's needs. On this forum, you receive feeback that varies and helps open up options. Treating other posters and consumers with respect should be a given.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

risingsun|1316756348|3023645 said:
I used to do business with a vendor in the diamond district. He didn't have a storefront. He was in one of the buildings and his office was built like a safe. He sourced the diamond for my original engagement ring. It was a very pretty stone. When I wanted to upgrade, we had a little chat. By that time, I had looked at top tier, AGS 0 stones. I compared them to my engagement ring and there was really no comparison. My vendor was most insistent that he could find me a beautiful stone without all the bells and whistles I was asking for. By that time, I had been learning about diamonds for several years and I knew what I wanted. We could not come to a meeting of the minds and I decided not to do business with him. I consider him to be an old school diamond vendor. This type of vendor might do very well for other customers, but was not a good fit for me.

I have since found a B&M jeweler and several online jewelers whom I trust to provide me with what I prefer. The B&M vendor may not use the tools that the online vendors use, but I own these tools and bring them myself. It has been an interesting exchange of knowledge. Do I expect him to start using these tools? Probably not. Does he expect that he will use them with me? Absolutely. My eyes are the most important tool that I have; however, I have used the education I received to help me see things now, which I had not seen in the past. This includes putting the diamond under a microscope and closely examining it from all angles and much more.

There are any number of ways to purchase a diamond. We have to find the way that works best for posters--and ourselves--in order to meet the individual's needs. On this forum, you receive feeback that varies and helps open up options. Treating other posters and consumers with respect should be a given.

Great summary Rising Sun. The OP only posted twice and we may never know the outcome, but unless people compare stones that "we" know to be best, they never know if the 'old school' traders are right or not. "Right" also being a value judgement.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

When it comes to anecdotal experiences, there's really not a lot of value to be gained unless the stones in question had GIA reports.
One member loves to come on and tell us how his wife had a 60/60 and it was the ugliest thing ever.
But there's no report on that stone to at least allow us to understand what the bad stone was.
In your case, risingsun, we'd also need to know what your first stone was to compare it to what you bought.
You say there's "no comparison" between the two stones- what were the differences you noticed?
Were both stones the same color and clarity?
Carat size?

Bottom line- it's great you've found sellers you're comfortable with- that is one of the best uses of info here on PS IMO- teaching how to select a good dealer.

I agree wholeheartedly with the part I bolded- we all deserve to be respected when posting.
Did you feel someone was disrespected risingsun? If so, who?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1316763437|3023661 said:

Great summary Rising Sun. The OP only posted twice and we may never know the outcome, but unless people compare stones that "we" know to be best, they never know if the 'old school' traders are right or not. "Right" also being a value judgement.

HI Garry!
Which "we" are you referring to?
I think it's important because in a group dynamic such as this one- where respectful disagreement is welcomed - terms like "us" "them" "we" are divisive. "We" don't all share the same views on which stones are the best in terms of cut.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

[quote="Rockdiamond|

When it comes to anecdotal experiences, there's really not a lot of value to be gained unless the stones in question had GIA reports.
One member loves to come on and tell us how his wife had a 60/60 and it was the ugliest thing ever.
But there's no report on that stone to at least allow us to understand what the bad stone was.
In your case, risingsun, we'd also need to know what your first stone was to compare it to what you bought.
You say there's "no comparison" between the two stones- what were the differences you noticed?
Were both stones the same color and clarity?
Carat size?

[/quote]
that was me... :praise: and it was ugly until i had it recut,it was one of those flat top 60/60 stone... :knockout:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Oh that was you DF? :wavey:

What were the PA and CA of the ugly DF?
Is ( was) there a GIA report?
If not, who determined the table size of the diamond?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond|1316804614|3024038 said:
Oh that was you DF? :wavey:

What were the PA and CA of the ugly DF?
Is ( was) there a GIA report?
If not, who determined the table size of the diamond?

i don't know the specs,plus there were no lab report.the dealer who sold me the stone said its a I VS2 60/60 stone.all i can tell you is that it was a flat top stone with no crown height.. :knockout: after the recut the stone came back from AGS lab I VS2 ideal 0 cut grade.

Archerp

Rough_Rock

I am a long-time lurker, short-time poster. I have diamond #s similar to frechopin's, which result in a 3.1 HCA or a 1.8 HCA, depending on whether I enter crown/pavilion angles or percentages, respectively. (Edited to add, it is a GIA triple EX stone just like frechopin's.) In person it is a very nice stone, and looks better than every other round stone I've ever seen. People comment on how sparkly it is. I'm glad you got an appraiser to look at your stone, frechopin, to confirm with the eyes how well your stone performs!

I think what concerns me in reading some of the responses people get is the Pavlovian dog response based on HCA # alone. I think that is part of Rockdiamond's point. I also think John Pollard's input on this is very interesting - first, his overall advice was excellent, but also, in theory, since GIA rounds numbers, you could have a diamond that scores, say, 1.8 on the HCA that *really* could be above 2, based on rounding, or an HCA of 2.2 that *really* could be under 2. So knee-jerk responses based on HCA over or under 2 may not be based on reality, even if you are a disciple of the HCA tool or require a certain HCA # to be mind-clean.

I enjoyed reading all of the responses and the expert advice! :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Archerp|1316882464|3024685 said:
I am a long-time lurker, short-time poster. I have diamond #s similar to frechopin's, which result in a 3.1 HCA or a 1.8 HCA, depending on whether I enter crown/pavilion angles or percentages, respectively. (Edited to add, it is a GIA triple EX stone just like frechopin's.) In person it is a very nice stone, and looks better than every other round stone I've ever seen. People comment on how sparkly it is. I'm glad you got an appraiser to look at your stone, frechopin, to confirm with the eyes how well your stone performs!

I think what concerns me in reading some of the responses people get is the Pavlovian dog response based on HCA # alone. I think that is part of Rockdiamond's point. I also think John Pollard's input on this is very interesting - first, his overall advice was excellent, but also, in theory, since GIA rounds numbers, you could have a diamond that scores, say, 1.8 on the HCA that *really* could be above 2, based on rounding, or an HCA of 2.2 that *really* could be under 2. So knee-jerk responses based on HCA over or under 2 may not be based on reality, even if you are a disciple of the HCA tool or require a certain HCA # to be mind-clean.

I enjoyed reading all of the responses and the expert advice! :)

That right there was exactly my point - and, I think, RD's too, though of course I can't speak for anyone else. There is simply NOT enough information for us here online to objectively judge frechopin's stone by, in terms of quality and quantity of light return, positively or negatively.

There are two types of responses one can give - either facts or opinions. If frechopin's concern was indeed quality and quantity of light return, the only appropriate factual advice in this situation would have been a directive to find out more. Opinions - they can (and should) be all over the map - but they should be clearly marked as opinions, not couched as fact.

I see this a lot, and I'll continue to point it out wherever and whenever I see it.

Beating the dead horse by now I'm sure.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks yssie!
While there is clearly not enough info to make a negative statment about the stone, I do feel that there was enough info to give a positive piece of advice here.
1) if a seller is named, that allows us to know , at least, the purchase was "safe"
2) given number one, we can trust that the OP got the diamond referred to on the GIA report- and also that the GIA report assessed the cut of the diamond as excellent. Advice generally given, which is to take the stone to an independent appraiser, will verify this.

Given the above any derogatory comments are misplaced IMO.
Advice to look at as many diamonds as possible as as to compare to other stones is always sound advice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results