shape
carat
color
clarity

Real life color comparisons—show me yours!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CBIs left to right:

1 ct D -- 1.25 ct K -- 1.5 ct I

IMG_5419.jpg

Same diamonds, same order below, but shown bottom-up (the D on the left is in an earring setting):

IMG_5400.jpg

Same diamond from the side:

IMG_5436.jpg

So I have to ask. So you notice a significant difference between the D and I??! Or how would you characterize the difference?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thanks- that's very nice of you to say! I have culled it down a lot in the last year or so and am still remodeling some of it with new settings and conversions. The goal is only things I will keep and not sell going forward.

I think that is a brilliant approach. I think you've got an impeccable collection that hits all of the sweet spots on vintage meets modern!

Also fun to see the different color range too (back on topic, heh :lol: )

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
CBIs left to right:

IMG_5419.jpg

Same diamonds, same order below, but shown bottom-up (the D on the left is in an earring setting):

IMG_5400.jpg

Same diamonds from the side:

IMG_5436.jpg

The difference color hits me instantly, and hard. Top view included. I wonder if that is your experience too?

They are all beautiful, but I do see the color differences as clear as day - and think these reference photos are tremendously helpful!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
So I have to ask. So you notice a significant difference between the D and I??! Or how would you characterize the difference?

Yes, to my eyes there's a noticeable difference in the photos. But more importantly, there was a significant difference in person.

Remember, an image produced by a camera is very different than what an eye sees looking at that same object in real life.

Not only are we talking about a difference in hue (such as yellow or brown) we are also talking about a difference of value (the gradation on a light to dark scale.) So a D is not only cooler in color temperature (less yellow) it is also lighter in value (closer to white on a light to dark scale.)

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I should note that I do not own the two loose diamonds in the photos I posted, they were lent to me by Wink (who gave me permission to post them.) I do own the ones mounted in the earring and the ring.

I should also note that all the diamonds I posted are absolutely beautiful in person. They were sparkle bombs and I hope someone is currently enjoying them in a beautiful piece of jewelry. (Darn you Wink for making me give them back!)

Different colors look good on different skin tones. I am very pale and pink and only look good in colorless diamonds, but my husband who is Latino and has an olive skin tone looks good in the slightly warmer ones.

Last edited:

jBright

Shiny_Rock
Oh!! I can play too! I’ve been to the jewelry store a few times in the past few weeks with a friend to help her shop :lol:. Only the G is mine and they are all GIA XXX. Modeled on my friend - 5.5 ring finger!

Both 1.5 carats - Halo J - Solitaire I
D4FAE828-4CAE-4530-909E-4D48A1ABF31B.jpeg
From left to right:
G 2.03 (mine) - J 1.7 - H 1.7
Outdoors
9E6A4B82-1FA3-4CD4-990D-50A13CB74CCF.jpeg
Indoors D7BC2169-8F3F-49B6-9B80-A9A578C4B62B.jpeg

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am missing a few things because they are getting a remodel or sized. I think shape and modern v new have a lot of impact.

PXL_20201006_182851391.jpg

PXL_20201006_183039512.jpg
@elizat Your collection is gorgeous! Do you wear them on your left hand? How do you rotate them?

Ring finger, bottom up g/h on GIA scale per appraisal, middle ring is an I, pear is an L

Middle finger bottom, is an M and top o-p

Pointer is light yellow. One is w-x and the other y-z if I remember.

I have a three stone k, a u-v oec, snd a q-r omc all out for sizing or makeovers.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG... this is divine!

Isn’t it? I’m still high from trying it on Saturday. Let’s see, if we mortgage the house....!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn’t it? I’m still high from trying it on Saturday. Let’s see, if we mortgage the house....!

How much?!!!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@nala I have never been very color sensitive but when I saw my J next to this D I was amazed at the difference in color. I can absolutely see why you fell in love with your E.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala I have never been very color sensitive but when I saw my J next to this D I was amazed at the difference in color. I can absolutely see why you fell in love with your E.

Omg! Right? Not going to lie! The color really seduced me. It’s like I reverted back to my Pre PS days when I didn’t understand that cut can mask color! I immediately had buyers remorse back then bc my first stone was egl USA F—(in all likelihood it was warmer, but I will say none of the I’s that i replaced it with were as white as that F Princess cut) and i kept thinking i should have gone bigger and gotten an i. So i finally did it and then immediately noticed the tint but i also noticed how much better it performed. Anyhow, I’m grateful that I’m at a point where I can accept balance. My stone has a 3.4 hca and very good idealscope image, so its cut is mind clean for me. And I’m enjoying her a lot more than I enjoyed my GIA i with an hca that was like a 1.6? Definitely below the 2, because she throws all kind of colors and performs super!! But I can see from all these pics how color isn’t really obvious to anyone but the wearer—in real life.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am missing a few things because they are getting a remodel or sized. I think shape and modern v new have a lot of impact.

PXL_20201006_182851391.jpg

PXL_20201006_183039512.jpg

Ring finger, bottom up g/h on GIA scale per appraisal, middle ring is an I, pear is an L

Middle finger bottom, is an M and top o-p

Pointer is light yellow. One is w-x and the other y-z if I remember.

I have a three stone k, a u-v oec, snd a q-r omc all out for sizing or makeovers.

Hey girl I have the same wolf box as you and I LOVE it!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20190511_134541.jpg

2.18 E-VS1 CBI on the left, 2.79 F-VS1 CBI on the right. I see a difference in the tint.

20201006_210825.jpg

F CBI, 2.31 Q-VVS2 CBI, E CBI

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have a number of photos comparing color but it is no longer my ring so I am not comfortable sharing those. I have one photo comparing Bubbalah (GIA JVS1) with my ring from Berricle which is a "D IF" if you kwim. Of course they are different cuts so that plays into visual differences as well.

bubbalahandberricle.jpeg

bubbalahvsberricle.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I found another that has nothing to do with a another PSers ring. Woohoo!
4.28I vs 4.65J

I vs J

4.28Ivs4.65J.jpg
I is on the right.

The I was set into a ring for me while I decided if it was my HG ring. It wasn't but I have a photo of the profile in the ring.

4.28Iprofile.jpg

4.28IVVS2oec.jpg

IMO IRL is the only accurate way to truly judge color for your own eyes.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@nala Welllllll...My husband told me it would be crazy to sell Libby for the price I would be getting. I was getting really nervous about giving her up. I was getting upset which is crazy...That diamond..although not a super ideal...is gorgeous...I’m keeping her...I should change my name to @diamondhoarder but it‘s taken..:lol:I’m still doing the ACA upgrade in January. I don’t want to pay too much to get the G in a 3 ctw. I don’t think I could go that much smaller than Summer which is 2.78...My plan all along was to go to 2.5 which I thought would be big enough...The 2.78 was just going to be a temporary size to get in the system..Now I don’t want to go down in size...Darn DSS! I’ll see what I have for a bling budget at the beginning of the year. I’m hoping that Whiteflash has a 2.8 or under 3 carat that will work for me. I don’t want to pay the 3 carat premium. I may try an H. The clarity is also pretty important to me..so it’s a trade off...TBC :loopy:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala Welllllll...My husband told me it would be crazy to sell Libby for the price I would be getting. I was getting really nervous about giving her up. I was getting upset which is crazy...That diamond..although not a super ideal...is gorgeous...I’m keeping her...I should change my name to @diamondhoarder but it‘s taken..:lol:I’m still doing the ACA upgrade in January. I don’t want to pay too much to get the G in a 3 ctw. I don’t think I could go that much smaller than Summer which is 2.78...My plan all along was to go to 2.5 which I thought would be big enough...The 2.78 was just going to be a temporary size to get in the system..Now I don’t want to go down in size...Darn DSS! I’ll see what I have for a bling budget at the beginning of the year. I’m hoping that Whiteflash has a 2.8 or under 3 carat that will work for me. I don’t want to pay the 3 carat premium. I may try an H. The clarity is also pretty important to me..so it’s a trade off...TBC :loopy:

Libby lives another day! Lol. We will stay tuned!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
BD0B5816-7777-432F-A2DF-676A0902604D.jpeg DCF2D78F-A17D-4C5A-8D24-1858666A8D96.jpeg B7EBE6D8-DA7F-4F2C-9991-9CC6C0AAE905.jpeg G halo transitional and L OEC solitaire - i know I already posted, but I wanted to play around in different lighting. I can definitely see the color difference when they are next to each other but I don’t really notice the L so much when it’s by itself. To be honest, I prefer the higher colors, but I wanted a bigger size solitaire for my huge fingers, so I had to go to a lower color (which in the OEC I don’t mind so much).

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wasn’t libby a Bgd diamond? I am glad that you are keeping her, eventually you might even pair her and create huge studs! :mrgreen:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wasn’t libby a Bgd diamond? I am glad that you are keeping her, eventually you might even pair her and create huge studs! :mrgreen:

No..Libby was a AGS diamond I lucked out buying over fifteen years ago. I knew nothing about diamonds then. She‘s a little deep but just beautiful. I have 3.04 studs which I thought were huge when I purchased them! :lol: I picked each of those diamonds out by lurking here on PS! That’s how I found my people..haha

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3.jpg 5.jpg
One of the studs is a G and the other is an H (both AGS). I can't tell them apart without a loupe and the certificates.
top to bottom:
H (GIA)
J (AGS)
K (GIA) w/SBF
M (GIA)

The pictures are surprising. The H looks very white to me all of the time. The J has a very slight tint from the side in some light, but normally doesn't show color. The K shows even less tint from the side or top and looks very white most of the time. IRL the M looks about like the J does in this pic and has noticeable tint from the side.

I love them all.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 35
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results