shape
carat
color
clarity

Random talk thread!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my first year with insurance covering so I had no idea. I'd been getting 14 or 15 at the time the prescription was written and then not having to worry for that many months. The doctor I saw this time (first time somewhere other than Planned Parenthood) wrote a prescription for that many and told me it was so I could go back to her again in February or March. January is busy for her (I guess due to new benefit year?) and she's got short hours anyway.

DH hates all of the barrier methods. Can't say I'm fond of them either, but at this point it would be better than another month. I guess we'll just see how it goes. I might get some alternatives to have around in case there is an opportunity.

The important lesson I learned was to buy an extra ring or two out of pocket and have them around for any unexpected complications. (The insurance company only pays for one per month so I get to pick one up just a day or so before I have to have it)

I've never been a fan of football. My family watched the games on TV so it isn't like I wasn't around that sort of thing. I also got to sit through all of the high school games as I was in the marching band. Nothing quite like sitting outside in 30 something degree weather with high humidity :knockout:
The last days leading up to the game were insane around here! I had random people in the grocery store walk past me and shout "Woo!! Go Hawks!". One woman even walked up and said "I think they can win! Do you think they can win?!?"
SO glad it is over! Maybe we can get back to normal!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Best of luck while you get through the next month either way!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dr covering got the prescription to the pharmacy for me. WooHoo! One 2 minute phone call and all was better! (seriously! -- I was afraid they'd tell me to wait for my regular dr on Wednesday)

Oh --- I am SOOOooooo glad we hired a pro photographer for the wedding. My grandfather takes beautiful pictures of landscapes and stuff and has done pics for my mother's wedding and other people, but every last picture he took of us is grainy. I don't know why the landscapes came out so stunning but any with people were gritty looking?
No big thing! We have lots of great landscapes thanks to him and lots of great pics of us thanks to the pro. Plus some extra pics of us that may be a bit gritty but still are fun to look through.
I can't have imagined it turning out any better!

I'm still amazed at the beautiful pics you keep posting! Your photographer did amazing work and all of your details really show through!

Elizabeth123

Rough_Rock
Hi to all...I'm new here and am also an excited newlywed just dropping by. looking forward to further discussions :loopy:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elizabeth123|1391505829|3607574 said:
Hi to all...I'm new here and am also an excited newlywed just dropping by. looking forward to further discussions :loopy:

Hi! :wavey:

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1391490774|3607532 said:
The dr covering got the prescription to the pharmacy for me. WooHoo! One 2 minute phone call and all was better! (seriously! -- I was afraid they'd tell me to wait for my regular dr on Wednesday)

Oh --- I am SOOOooooo glad we hired a pro photographer for the wedding. My grandfather takes beautiful pictures of landscapes and stuff and has done pics for my mother's wedding and other people, but every last picture he took of us is grainy. I don't know why the landscapes came out so stunning but any with people were gritty looking?
No big thing! We have lots of great landscapes thanks to him and lots of great pics of us thanks to the pro. Plus some extra pics of us that may be a bit gritty but still are fun to look through.
I can't have imagined it turning out any better!

I'm still amazed at the beautiful pics you keep posting! Your photographer did amazing work and all of your details really show through!
That's wonderful! Glad that worked out at the pharmacy.

Weird about the gritty looking non-landscape photos. Everyone who had been married before me told me we wouldn't regret spending money on a pro photographer and they were all right. It's the one thing you can't do over and it's worth the cost. Our photographer was the single most expensive cost of our entire elopement and I don't regret a single penny! Thank you so much for your sweet compliments about them! I just adore them!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Elizabeth123|1391505829|3607574 said:
Welcome! :wavey:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got sent an invitation to dinner from a couple we know. Her friend is hosting a dinner and trying to get some more people. Our friend suggested us and called us "a fun pair" :bigsmile:

We're both down with the flu, but will hopefully be better enough to go Friday!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1391565846|3608060 said:
Just got sent an invitation to dinner from a couple we know. Her friend is hosting a dinner and trying to get some more people. Our friend suggested us and called us "a fun pair" :bigsmile:

Ooh, that sounds fun! I hope you get better by Friday!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1391625316|3608487 said:
TooPatient|1391565846|3608060 said:

Ooh, that sounds fun! I hope you get better by Friday!

Next time!

We're planning to get together after DH and I are both better.

I got worse. My flu turned bacterial infection. The dr is giving me a strong antibiotic. We got lucky (?) in that my birth control is already messed up so I can have the strong one that makes hormonal bc not work... Feeling MUCH better though!

Poor Dh....
He started running a fever Saturday and it got bad Sunday. He'd been getting better. Just took him to the dr and he's been put on all sorts of strong anti-viral and antibiotic stuff. He has until Wed to be improving or they're going to hospitalize him ;(
His flu turned into pneumonia!

Hope you are staying healthy! So much sickness shared in schools :nono:

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1392085763|3612445 said:
Next time!

We're planning to get together after DH and I are both better.

I got worse. My flu turned bacterial infection. The dr is giving me a strong antibiotic. We got lucky (?) in that my birth control is already messed up so I can have the strong one that makes hormonal bc not work... Feeling MUCH better though!

Poor Dh....
He started running a fever Saturday and it got bad Sunday. He'd been getting better. Just took him to the dr and he's been put on all sorts of strong anti-viral and antibiotic stuff. He has until Wed to be improving or they're going to hospitalize him ;(
His flu turned into pneumonia!

Hope you are staying healthy! So much sickness shared in schools :nono:
That's a bummer! I hope he gets to feeling better soon. We've been okay. DH had gotten sick at Christmas and it lingered a loooong time. We finally took him to the clinic and he had a sinus infection that required antibiotics. He felt SO much better just 1-2 days after getting the medicine so he's doing better now. Funk is still moving about the office, but so far I've come away unscathed (for the most part).

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad your DH is feeling better and you've been able to avoid!

Oh! --
My bulbs that I planted last spring are starting to pop up! So excited to see what is going to come back this year!
I bought "manager's special" pots for $1 each or less as they were already bloomed and dying off. Got lots of great stuff at massive discount :appl:

audball

Ideal_Rock
That's exciting! :))

audball

Ideal_Rock
Just got my Week 7 photo posted, I totally forgot to do it on Friday! Oops.

audball

Ideal_Rock
How's everything going, TP? Work has been crazy busy lately that I'm just so tired all the time!

We have our wedding celebration dinner coming up on Saturday. I'm looking forward to it! We've got us + 30 guests (family/close friends) so our families can meet and socialize. We're going to show a slideshow of our wedding photos and have a delicious meal.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1392754360|3617955 said:
How's everything going, TP? Work has been crazy busy lately that I'm just so tired all the time!

We have our wedding celebration dinner coming up on Saturday. I'm looking forward to it! We've got us + 30 guests (family/close friends) so our families can meet and socialize. We're going to show a slideshow of our wedding photos and have a delicious meal.

Exciting!
You were doing the casual evening to just relax and enjoy IIRC? That should be lots of fun! Are you wearing your dress from the wedding too?
Can't wait to hear all about it! (pics??!)

You must be coming near the end of a quarter? I think those are busy in every school! Hope things quiet down for you soon!

I'm recovering from the flu slowly and DH is getting better too. He came SUPER close to being hospitalized but managed to start improving enough to avoid that (barely!). He's out of sick days and still in the hole on vacation time (won't start accruing again until almost June ;( ) so back to work even with being sick. His manager has been great so he's doing 3-4 in person each day and then work from home the rest.

Scrambling to catch up on homework and get ready for exams on material I missed while out sick :nono:

"A" is back from Disneyland and had a wonderful time!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Semi-casual. It's at a nice Italian restaurant. We've got a private room for 4 hours and the meal will be family style. We've got 2 appetizers, 2 salads, 2 pasta dishes, 2 entrees, 1 side dish, and 2 desserts with an open bar. Should be really nice! I'm not wearing my wedding dress, I think it would be too out of place since it's a nice restaurant, but not *that* nice. I'm wearing a black/white dress that has a geometric pattern on it and DH is wearing a red dress shirt, no tie, sleeves rolled up with black dress pants so we should look great!

The university I work for runs on semesters, not quarters, so right now we're in the middle of the Spring semester. We have one Spring semester (runs January-late April/early May, 16 weeks total), three summer semesters (A: runs mid May-end June for 6 weeks, B: runs early July-early August for 6 weeks, C: runs mid-May to late July for 10 weeks), and lastly one Fall semester which runs late August to early December for 16 weeks total.

We're in the middle of prep for Summer 14 and Fall 14 terms so we're pretty crazy with that right now.

I'm glad you and your DH are feeling better! When my DH and I got sick it wasn't even the flu and was miserable, I can't imagine being worse!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like an amazing evening!

Ah! Semesters.... I'm not too familiar with the details of those compared to quarters as I've only seen the quarter system and only as a student. It seems like the semester system would probably be better (and easier?) for students and staff. Our quarters feel like they are barely started when it is time to register for the next batch of classes! Not to mention getting sick and missing 2-3 weeks of a 10 week class... :nono:

So excited!!!
My b-day is in a little less than 2 weeks and DH walked up to me today and said "So.... Chocolate." Um... Okay. He finally spilled the beans. He found a great chocolatier in the area (an hour drive?) that does lots of samples in store plus chocolate & wine pairings and chocolate & coffee pairings! He said we could go visit them or he could have them ship the chocolates :lol: Funny guy!
I have no school the day before my b-day so we'll drive down then for a day of chocolate & wine & coffee just the two of us!

And he hasn't forgotten that I want a card this year :))
(He's not the card giving/receiving sort of person so I've been hinting strongly that it is the first occasion for him to get me a WIFE card)

audball

Ideal_Rock
I do think that semesters seem easier to follow than quarters! The only thing I dislike is having three different summer terms that overlap, that gets confusing when scheduling since they have different patterns and are going on at the same time. It ends up building in a lot of conflict that wouldn't be there if we had only one summer term that was 10 weeks long and skipped the stupid 6 week ones.

And CHOCOLATE! YUM! That sounds amazing. It reminds me of missing out on Cacao in Portland. They have drinking chocolate! Gah. My coworkers and I found it on a map when in Portland for a conference last July and it was a bit far from the hotel so we didn't go. Seriously saw it on "Unqiue Sweets" on the cooking channel not long after getting back. I'm hoping we get to go again this year so I can make it! So I personally think that sounds like an AMAZING birthday! And I really hope he remembers the wife card!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you had an amazing time at your celebration!

Three overlapping semesters in summer!?!? What a confusing mess!
Still, I suppose the overall is probably a lot less crazy than this 10-12 week quarter thing. I do like having the 6 week summer quarter as an option though. Sometimes I wish they would do two sections (not overlapping!!) so I could get more done over summer, but it is usually plenty to have a couple of two hour classes each day.

I think I may talk to DH and swap the chocolate place to my b-day instead of the day before. If we left after my classes (12:30) it would not be too late in the day to really enjoy ourselves still. "A" is missing her "art" class that week (her mom has tickets to a play) and scheduled a makeup class for the day before my b-day. I don't want to be rushing to get home to cook dinner and then have to chit-chat with DH's ex after a relaxing day. I'm thinking it may be better to go the following day when we can just forget the time and enjoy ourselves then have dinner for 2 at my favorite place before going home for cake with "A" and a relaxing evening.

All of this depends on my feeling better though...
DH is recovering pretty well. I started getting worse and running fevers again. Back to the dr. More antibiotics and a diagnosis of bronchitis :nono:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Our dinner was great! Everyone has an amazing time and we're very glad that we did it.

The overlapping terms in summer are confusing. You can take courses in Summer A and Summer B because they are 6 week terms that run back to back with one week in between. Summer C starts the same week as Summer A and goes for 10 weeks (no break) so if you have a Summer C course at a certain day/time, you couldn't take a Summer A or Summer B course at the same time because C term conflicts with both A and B. No idea if that makes sense!

I think going on your actually birthday sounds like a better plan not only to get to go on the day of, but to avoid the ex factor.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad your dinner went well!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Me and my DH at the dinner!

1797499_10102576287441161_44654079_n.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cute dress!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely doing the chocolate thing ON my b-day!

DH has meetings the day before so it works better for him too.

Oh.....
"J" hates it when other people are sick and she isn't... So I got a phone call at 10pm on Monday letting me know that she had bumped her head getting into the car and had a bit of a bruise so couldn't take "A" to her art class the next day. So I (with my bronchitis, vomiting from the antibiotics) and DH (healthier than I am but still recovering from his pneumonia) had to go out in the cold night air to drive "A" to her "art" class because "J" had a little bruise :rolleyes:

Yeah...
No way am I telling her my b-day is Wednesday! I'm also happiest moving the chocolate day by our choice rather than having it forced on us by yet another bruise or hangnail or whatever.

BTW, this woman is so goofy! She claims to have diabetes in one sentence and then in the next tells me how she has to eat little candies and stuff through the day due to her low blood sugar. The next day it is her high blood pressure that causes lots of problems until she stands up and her unusually low blood pressure causes dizziness. It is like this all the time!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1393562434|3624522 said:
Cute dress!
Thanks! :))

TooPatient|1393562434|3624522 said:
Definitely doing the chocolate thing ON my b-day!

DH has meetings the day before so it works better for him too.

Oh.....
"J" hates it when other people are sick and she isn't... So I got a phone call at 10pm on Monday letting me know that she had bumped her head getting into the car and had a bit of a bruise so couldn't take "A" to her art class the next day. So I (with my bronchitis, vomiting from the antibiotics) and DH (healthier than I am but still recovering from his pneumonia) had to go out in the cold night air to drive "A" to her "art" class because "J" had a little bruise :rolleyes:

Yeah...
No way am I telling her my b-day is Wednesday! I'm also happiest moving the chocolate day by our choice rather than having it forced on us by yet another bruise or hangnail or whatever.

BTW, this woman is so goofy! She claims to have diabetes in one sentence and then in the next tells me how she has to eat little candies and stuff through the day due to her low blood sugar. The next day it is her high blood pressure that causes lots of problems until she stands up and her unusually low blood pressure causes dizziness. It is like this all the time!
Woot! I hope you have a wonderful birthday! Sorry you're still not feeling well, hopefully you'll be feeling much better by Wednesday! Definitely don't let on that you have plans!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Posted my week 9 photo! That one was tough since it was about wedding decor which we didn't really have in the traditional sense! Don't forget to post yours!

So, total newlywed question. Are you guys getting asked about babies? I swear I've had 3+ pregnancy announcements on my Facebook every week for the last few weeks and because we're totally surrounded by it, people have been asking us. We've not changed our mind with our tentative timeline of 5+ years out, but it's crazy how many pregnant people I know right now! Thankfully I'm not itching to have a baby right now or I think I'd be going as crazy as I was before we got engaged and my Facebook had over 20 engagements from Sept/Oct until we got engaged ourselves!

My sweet nephew was born a (almost) a month ago and my SIL has a little girl due in mid May so that'll bring us up to 5 nieces/nephews. Our oldest turned 7 in January, second will be 4 at the end of March, next will be 2 next week, one is a few weeks old now, and the 5th is due in a few months!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only one person has even suggested such a thing. One friend in California is anxious to get to buy us baby stuff now and hopes it turn out to be a girl since they have the cutest stuff :lol:

No one else has even bothered to ask. A couple of family members know that as of a few years ago we had no plans to ever have as we'd had so much trouble with A's mother and the court system. "A" was an absolute terror when she lived with her mother and then her mother used the courts to pretty much take everything we had. I couldn't imagine struggling to afford basic monthly expenses and bringing a baby into that. (At the time, we were paying $20,000/year in private school tuition for "A" plus another $30,000+/year in child support plus another $20,000/year or so in attorney fees...)

Now that things have calmed down, I'd really like to have a baby some day. We're thinking in a couple of years after I finish my first bachelor's degree...
Of course there are days where I am so sick of dealing with the ongoing drama of schools and activities and "can I invite friends?!?" and being super sick but still having to cook/clean/etc that I just can't imagine having a baby and facing a minimum of 18 more years of having to give up all sorts of stuff so that the kid has everything they need (and then a bunch).

Anyway...

Our rabbi never even bothered to ask if we were planning to have a kid together. He usually does but he just said "You have a teenager at home now and you won't have to deal with the stress of a baby!" It was clear that his meaning was that we WOULDN'T have a baby together and we're clearly on the same page when it comes to decisions about "A".

Our friends all figure that "B" is old enough that we're not going to. I've gotten comments about being "lucky" that I missed the entire pregnancy/birth/infant thing and got to just jump in at the "fun" age when they are turning into real people. (that came from the parents of a toddler who have not had to live with a teenager yet :lol: )

His family doesn't care one way or another. Haven't so much as had an e-mail or phone call from any of them in almost a year. They don't even know we're married...

My family either assumes we aren't having any by choice or that he's old and I'm getting old and we already have "A" so aren't going to have any together.

So, I guess the answer is I'm sort of glad that no one is bugging us and I don't have to answer that sort of question but at the same time I almost wish someone would act like it wasn't just super obvious either.

Cool that you've got so many nieces and nephews! We don't have any and I really wish we did.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1393744231|3625685 said:
Only one person has even suggested such a thing. One friend in California is anxious to get to buy us baby stuff now and hopes it turn out to be a girl since they have the cutest stuff :lol:

No one else has even bothered to ask. A couple of family members know that as of a few years ago we had no plans to ever have as we'd had so much trouble with A's mother and the court system. "A" was an absolute terror when she lived with her mother and then her mother used the courts to pretty much take everything we had. I couldn't imagine struggling to afford basic monthly expenses and bringing a baby into that. (At the time, we were paying $20,000/year in private school tuition for "A" plus another $30,000+/year in child support plus another $20,000/year or so in attorney fees...)
Aww, TP! I'm sorry to hear that. On the one hand, not being asked (in a pressuring kind of way) is really great, but that A was such a struggle is just unfortunate. It seems she's settling in with you guys nicely, though, and that things have improved a lot!

Now that things have calmed down, I'd really like to have a baby some day. We're thinking in a couple of years after I finish my first bachelor's degree...
Of course there are days where I am so sick of dealing with the ongoing drama of schools and activities and "can I invite friends?!?" and being super sick but still having to cook/clean/etc that I just can't imagine having a baby and facing a minimum of 18 more years of having to give up all sorts of stuff so that the kid has everything they need (and then a bunch).
What does B think? Have you guys talked about it seriously? I find the idea of a timeline the most stressful. I know I'd like to be a Mom, someday, and that Andrew will make a great Dad, but we're not ready to do it yet. It's fun to talk about, names, the what ifs, and all, but right now it's just a dream. Neither of us are actually ready emotionally speaking to be parents and people keep asking us and reminding us that we're not getting any younger. I know we're not super young any more, but we're far from old at 27! And we have a rough estimate of trying in ~5 years which will let us get a ton of headway on our financial goals which will help me feel more ready to have a baby and in that time frame, we'll just be 32 which seems far from old these days in the world of TTC.

Anyway...

Our rabbi never even bothered to ask if we were planning to have a kid together. He usually does but he just said "You have a teenager at home now and you won't have to deal with the stress of a baby!" It was clear that his meaning was that we WOULDN'T have a baby together and we're clearly on the same page when it comes to decisions about "A".

Our friends all figure that "B" is old enough that we're not going to. I've gotten comments about being "lucky" that I missed the entire pregnancy/birth/infant thing and got to just jump in at the "fun" age when they are turning into real people. (that came from the parents of a toddler who have not had to live with a teenager yet :lol: )

His family doesn't care one way or another. Haven't so much as had an e-mail or phone call from any of them in almost a year. They don't even know we're married...

My family either assumes we aren't having any by choice or that he's old and I'm getting old and we already have "A" so aren't going to have any together.

So, I guess the answer is I'm sort of glad that no one is bugging us and I don't have to answer that sort of question but at the same time I almost wish someone would act like it wasn't just super obvious either.
I can't believe the rabbi didn't ask! Kids are kind of one of the biggest things that should be covered in pre-marital counseling and it's rude to assume that you wouldn't just because you have a teenager now! And rude of your friends as well for assuming you won't because B is older than you. Sigh -- people suck sometimes.

Cool that you've got so many nieces and nephews! We don't have any and I really wish we did.
We love our nieces and nephews! They are so much fun to watch growing up and learning. But MAN are they exhausting! Spending one day with any one of them wipes us out so I know we're not ready to commit all of our time to a little one of our own just yet. I'm still happily and blissfully enjoying all of my spare time with husband.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah... Kids are exhausting!
My grandmother was a nanny (watched 2 or 3 at a time in her home) and our neighbors always had little kids so I've been around them forever. A few hours can wear you out and a weekend caring for even one is huge work...
And it doesn't get easier with a teenager! Instead of diaper changing you've got to explain tampons but other than that it is lots of patience...

We talk regularly about kids. He's happy to have another but also okay if I decide it is not something I want. The only thing we've ever thought differently about was timing. He wanted me ALL the way done with school and well established in a career first. I think that is too long (I'd be about 35 or so in his time line and he'd be 64...). After talking, he agreed with my logic so we're now looking at waiting just a couple of years.

"J" lied about being on birth control so "A" was a huge surprise to DH. He only married "J" because he thought it was the right thing to do...
So DH has never really thought about the idea that you don't just wait for things to align and a baby magically appears. The possibility of trying for months (or more) and then 40 weeks of pregnancy were not part of his time line :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results