shape
carat
color
clarity

Random talk thread!

audball

Ideal_Rock
That's frustrating! What a nightmare. With just the two of us and such a teeny kitchen -- we never use the dishwasher. I actually store things in the dishwasher since we need the storage space.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since we cook so much from scratch, the dishes really pile up. We did everything by hand when our dishwasher was out last time and it was taking an hour or more per day.

I've got dinner in the oven -- in a disposable pan -- and a fresh stack of paper plates & plastic utensils.

Repair guy out Monday!
It should just be the little $5 part and easy for him to replace. I'd do it myself, but the $5 part would take two weeks to get here (done it before) and it would be just my luck that there is a trick to sticking it in place (like last time...).
The $120 call out fee is worth it to have it done right the first time and working again so soon.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Good luck!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Gosh TP, you really ought to get some sort of Frequent Caller discount with these appliance issues!!

Happy New Year ladies! Did you do anything special for your first married NYE?
I got to be called FI's wife, only because it's easier to say, "Yes" when someone about to start hitting on you asks if your e-ring = married. It's awesome :bigsmile:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wakingdreams53|1388786241|3585792 said:
Oh Gosh TP, you really ought to get some sort of Frequent Caller discount with these appliance issues!!

Happy New Year ladies! Did you do anything special for your first married NYE?
I got to be called FI's wife, only because it's easier to say, "Yes" when someone about to start hitting on you asks if your e-ring = married. It's awesome :bigsmile:

Great benefit of the day!

Nothing special for our first married NYE. Same watching movies at home until time for fireworks and then laughing at how awful they turned out (again). (This year was foggy and then the clouds came down plus the lack of wind kept all the smoke sitting still so you really couldn't see much of anything other than some color behind the smoke/cloud/fog.)
Glass of champagne at midnight.

"A" had a spontaneous sleep over with some of her friends. Less sleep and more confetti in the hair :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to school tomorrow ;(

Okay, I'm actually a bit excited as I've been going crazy cooped up in this house! Been with DH almost 24 hours a day since JULY and while it is nice to have so much time together, it has been lots of stressful time as he was so sick most of that. Of course now that he's feeling so much better he has to go back to work in person so not as much time together :(sad .

Oh....
And 2 1/2 weeks cooped up with DH working from home and "A" on school vacation.... :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o
OMG! Grocery shopping and late-night/early-morning sneaking into the office for some quiet PS time is about the only time I have had to myself.

So... mixed feelings on back to school. 18 credit hours (all math and engineering) is a bit of a heavy load but at least it is progress!
And out of the house :appl: :appl:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"A" will be ready to start school again tomorrow!

We've had a history documentary marathon running for the last 2 1/2 weeks. She now knows more than she ever knew there was to learn about all sorts of stuff :bigsmile:

Topics include:

Vietnam War (13 hour documentary)
World War 1 (multiple documentaries -- 15 hours or so)
Influenza in the US in 1918
The American Revolution
Ireland
unions in the US (coal mostly)
British history (12 hours so far... still running)
India/Britain/Gandhi
World War 2 (Pacific & Atlantic)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Audball -- Hope you get some of that cold weather! They mentioned the cold air reaching into Florida!

We've had the same problem with mild winters allowing lots of fleas and other bugs :knockout:
29 right now (at 6am) and supposed to get to 45 today. Warmer tomorrow.
I don't like the ice or really cold but the bugs over summer have gotten bad.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1388979707|3587193 said:
Back to school tomorrow ;(

Okay, I'm actually a bit excited as I've been going crazy cooped up in this house! Been with DH almost 24 hours a day since JULY and while it is nice to have so much time together, it has been lots of stressful time as he was so sick most of that. Of course now that he's feeling so much better he has to go back to work in person so not as much time together :(sad .

Oh....
And 2 1/2 weeks cooped up with DH working from home and "A" on school vacation.... :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o
OMG! Grocery shopping and late-night/early-morning sneaking into the office for some quiet PS time is about the only time I have had to myself.

So... mixed feelings on back to school. 18 credit hours (all math and engineering) is a bit of a heavy load but at least it is progress!
And out of the house :appl: :appl:
Good luck this term! That's a very heavy load!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1388980649|3587198 said:
"A" will be ready to start school again tomorrow!

We've had a history documentary marathon running for the last 2 1/2 weeks. She now knows more than she ever knew there was to learn about all sorts of stuff :bigsmile:

Topics include:

Vietnam War (13 hour documentary)
World War 1 (multiple documentaries -- 15 hours or so)
Influenza in the US in 1918
The American Revolution
Ireland
unions in the US (coal mostly)
British history (12 hours so far... still running)
India/Britain/Gandhi
World War 2 (Pacific & Atlantic)
Wow! That's a lot. Did she enjoy it? I don't think I'd have sat through any of that as a 13 year old.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1389016638|3587365 said:
Audball -- Hope you get some of that cold weather! They mentioned the cold air reaching into Florida!

We've had the same problem with mild winters allowing lots of fleas and other bugs :knockout:
29 right now (at 6am) and supposed to get to 45 today. Warmer tomorrow.
I don't like the ice or really cold but the bugs over summer have gotten bad.
We're supposed to! My family a few hours further north in FL will be getting weather in the TEENS!! Here in the bay area of FL we're only supposed to get 30s, but I'm excited!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shockingly, "A" did (mostly) enjoy the history stuff! I may have had less than full interest in it but she was quite ready to watch it and then discuss the details after.

Enjoy your cold weather!

Dishwashers... :nono:
At least it is just the cheap parts (not the controller card) BUT it will be 7-10 business days before they can get them in and then we have to have the guy out again. They don't charge for a 2nd service call (so we just owe <$30 for little parts) so DH is happy.... or at least was until I pointed out that we'll be without a dishwasher for 2+ weeks.
Oh well. The guy is good at what he does and is replacing ALL of the little parts so we don't just have something else break.

Oh -- and he's got a sense of humor. I answered the door and he said "So soon!?! You guys must really like me :bigsmile: " :lol:

Great guy. Good at his job and likes our cats (and dogs).
I would be happy to NOT see him again for another year or two! (Oh... and not have to call in anyone else either!)

audball

Ideal_Rock
At least he's nice! Bummer it's going to take so long, but ah well.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got some beef marinating in the refrigerator. I think I may get a big bag of charcoal and let DH deal with most of the cooking -- and take him up on his offer to do the hand washing for me. We're avoiding most dishes by using disposable but do have a few to wash.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I can't stand dishes lying around. I handwash anyway, but I don't that would change even if I had a lot more to o. I really like to get them cleaned up and put away before bed.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1389103964|3588132 said:
I can't stand dishes lying around. I handwash anyway, but I don't that would change even if I had a lot more to o. I really like to get them cleaned up and put away before bed.

Agree!

I (almost always) wipe all of the counters and the stove down before bed too and make sure the sink is at least rinsed out. So nice to get up to a clean kitchen!

Okay.... and one of our cats likes to get on the counter so if everything isn't done before bed she makes an awful mess. :rolleyes:

I got up at 5:30 yesterday morning. Made breakfast for all, lunch for "A", thermos of hot tea for me, cleaned stuff up, took DH to chiropractor, dropped him off at work, got to school (JUST in time for class), 3 hours of back to back classes, picked up my books, got DH from work, home by 2pm to wait for dishwasher guy...
I started on my homework at 2pm and kept going until 10 last night! (took a short break to shove dinner in the oven -- just a reheat of last night)
Spent until 11+ getting the kitchen and stuff ready for today.

Up this morning at 6am to repeat (minus the dishwasher repair).

Good news is that I get to return (for full refund) the most expensive of my books! The instructor says we don't actually need it :rolleyes:
At least I didn't open the package!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

Bahaha, me neither! The other night, DH and I got Thai takeout and we had it while watching a movie. After we were done eating, our plates were just sitting there on the coffee table and it was really bothering me, so I asked him to pause the movie and clear away the dishes because I couldn't concentrate on the movie with them there. :lol: He just rolled his eyes and laughed at me, but took care of it.

I do all of the dishes by hand, I don't like using the dishwasher. That also exasperates DH because he hates washing dishes by hand, but whatever! I do them 95% of the time anyway.

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1389116769|3588276 said:

Bahaha, me neither! The other night, DH and I got Thai takeout and we had it while watching a movie. After we were done eating, our plates were just sitting there on the coffee table and it was really bothering me, so I asked him to pause the movie and clear away the dishes because I couldn't concentrate on the movie with them there. :lol: He just rolled his eyes and laughed at me, but took care of it.

I do all of the dishes by hand, I don't like using the dishwasher. That also exasperates DH because he hates washing dishes by hand, but whatever! I do them 95% of the time anyway.
Haha, replace takeout Thai with takeout Chinese and we're the same!! I have to stop the show/movie after we're done eating to clear and clean the dishes up before we can continue!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a week!

Each instructor is heaping loads of homework on me. I guess the good news is that with graded home works and lots of quizzes, the exams don't count for as much! But yikes! I've been running non-stop since 5:30 this morning and still have another couple of hours of home work to do for tomorrow! Planning to keep on working through the weekend to get a bit ahead so the next weeks will be a little less crazy (hopefully!).

Two quizzes tomorrow. Exam Tuesday. Two more quizzes Friday. A couple of exams the following week. Plus stacks and stacks of home work in between.

Sorry to be gone so much! Hoping to get more time around here next week :wavey:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh!

Happy photo to share! I had to put a profile pic on my class online site so DH sent me the pictures he'd taken of my first solo flight!

So....
Here I am with the airplane I'm learning to fly in! (I'm working towards my private pilot certificate!!!)
Quite the day! I had no problem taking off..... but then it hit me that I was all alone and it was up to ME to land again :-o :lol:
(I did just fine even though it was a bit windy :)) )

_13553.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1389331575|3590082 said:
What a week!

Each instructor is heaping loads of homework on me. I guess the good news is that with graded home works and lots of quizzes, the exams don't count for as much! But yikes! I've been running non-stop since 5:30 this morning and still have another couple of hours of home work to do for tomorrow! Planning to keep on working through the weekend to get a bit ahead so the next weeks will be a little less crazy (hopefully!).

Two quizzes tomorrow. Exam Tuesday. Two more quizzes Friday. A couple of exams the following week. Plus stacks and stacks of home work in between.

Sorry to be gone so much! Hoping to get more time around here next week :wavey:
Sorry you're having such a hard week! It must be in the water. This has been one of the single most difficult work weeks I've had since I took this job. Fortunately, not to me or my coworkers fault, but other departments being out of compliance and missing deadlines that were strict for a reason. Despite being screamed at on the phone by faculty not getting their way, my boss backed me up and kept the answer a firm no. So ready for the weekend.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1389331816|3590084 said:
Oh!

Happy photo to share! I had to put a profile pic on my class online site so DH sent me the pictures he'd taken of my first solo flight!

So....
Here I am with the airplane I'm learning to fly in! (I'm working towards my private pilot certificate!!!)
Quite the day! I had no problem taking off..... but then it hit me that I was all alone and it was up to ME to land again :-o :lol:
Cool! I've flown in small planes more than big planes because my ex had his license. I loathe it, to be honest, because the cost is one of the things that was a huge point of contention in our relationship when he spent money flying and left me paying our actual bills. I do NOT miss him in the slightest, but small plane flying only has negative memories for me.

I wish you the best of luck with the license! It's a long, hard road but those who enjoy it really enjoy it!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1389369807|3590329 said:
TooPatient|1389331816|3590084 said:
Oh!

So....
Cool! I've flown in small planes more than big planes because my ex had his license. I loathe it, to be honest, because the cost is one of the things that was a huge point of contention in our relationship when he spent money flying and left me paying our actual bills. I do NOT miss him in the slightest, but small plane flying only has negative memories for me.

I wish you the best of luck with the license! It's a long, hard road but those who enjoy it really enjoy it!

That would be a HUGE problem. It is very expensive to fly whether you are renting or maintaining your own airplane. I can't imagine being okay with someone having such an expensive hobby if it wasn't a shared interest -- AND if the other bills & expenses in life weren't also a shared sort of thing.

I'm hoping having my license (not to mention pictures of parts I've helped design and put into an actual airplane!) will look great as I get ready to fill out my transfer paperwork for the university's engineering department.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1389498512|3591238 said:
That would be a HUGE problem. It is very expensive to fly whether you are renting or maintaining your own airplane. I can't imagine being okay with someone having such an expensive hobby if it wasn't a shared interest -- AND if the other bills & expenses in life weren't also a shared sort of thing.

I'm hoping having my license (not to mention pictures of parts I've helped design and put into an actual airplane!) will look great as I get ready to fill out my transfer paperwork for the university's engineering department.
Indeed. It was never a shared interest.

Anyway -- not to be a downer! I hope everything works out for you!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1389558366|3591502 said:
TooPatient|1389498512|3591238 said:

Indeed. It was never a shared interest.

Anyway -- not to be a downer! I hope everything works out for you!

We go to air shows in the area over summer and I usually run into someone who is trying to get their wife or girlfriend excited about his hobby. I had one last summer ask me to tell her all about how great it is and not really all that expensive.... Yeah :lol:
So getting the license is running me $X per month ("but they told him it would only be 1/10 X!!!"). Basic maintenance on an airplane runs $Y (assuming all is in good order) and repairs :-o :-o :-o . Of course you could just rent at $Z/hour...

I do point out all the great bits too. It is a lot of fun. I do enjoy doing the flying. I do enjoy riding along and enjoying the view. I like being able to go somewhere too far to drive for a day trip. All sorts of good.
BUT it takes lots of time, lots of effort, and LOTS of money.

DH and I talked when we were still just getting to know each other (dating?) and agreed that the only way to have a pilot with an airplane in a family is if it is something both people truly enjoy and want. Otherwise you're just looking at frustration and resentment as it does take so much.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope your week has been better than last week!

The first week or two after a break always feels rough.

Still, I'm managing to stay on top of stuff in all of my classes. Massively crazy differential equations instructor -- he's going through an entire section of the book per day! Section 1.1 1st day, 1.2 2nd day, and so on... :-o Got 15 minutes on 1.6 (he had the flu so left early) then 10 minutes on 1.7..... WooHoo for YouTube and MIT open courseware!

audball

Ideal_Rock
This week is just as challenging as the last! Soooo ready for the weekend to be here already!

That course schedule is very quick paced! Glad you're keeping up so far. DH is an engineer so he's been through all those maths...I don't know how anyone does it!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Long weekend :appl: :appl: :appl:

Okay...
So I've actually spent my weekend so far doing homework. But at least they can't assign new homework until Tuesday :bigsmile:

Hope you're enjoying your long weekend!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1390200721|3596816 said:

Okay...
So I've actually spent my weekend so far doing homework. But at least they can't assign new homework until Tuesday :bigsmile:

Yeah...not much fun for me. Saturday and Sunday were typical weekend days. But today, on my day off, I'll be sitting at the car repair place for probably entirely too long while Andrew is at work. I didn't want him to use one of his very limited vacation days to go in for car repairs so we scheduled it on a day I was off anyway. Bleh. I'm taking my laptop and power cable...I hope they have wifi. If not, I'm packing a few dvds to help pass the time.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1390223261|3596857 said:
TooPatient|1390200721|3596816 said:

Okay...

Yeah...not much fun for me. Saturday and Sunday were typical weekend days. But today, on my day off, I'll be sitting at the car repair place for probably entirely too long while Andrew is at work. I didn't want him to use one of his very limited vacation days to go in for car repairs so we scheduled it on a day I was off anyway. Bleh. I'm taking my laptop and power cable...I hope they have wifi. If not, I'm packing a few dvds to help pass the time.

That is how we schedule car stuff too a lot of the time. It is MUCH better now that the dealership has WiFi and a little deli/espresso bar! I'm able to sit in semi-comfortable chairs with my cell phone & lap top doing whatever (often PS) while sipping hot chocolate or white mocha with a handful of chocolate covered espresso beans.

Before the deli/espresso place it was not nearly as easy of a wait. There was nothing to drink but what I brought with or some awful bottled water (I'm very particular about bottled water) or their instant coffee that had been on all day :knockout: Only food within walking distance was a McDonald's a block away :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results