shape
carat
color
clarity

Random talk thread!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other thing I've been thinking about since last night is maybe moving most of the stuff above the fireplace and hanging the ketubah & pictures there.

The ketubah is 17 inches wide and 20.5 inches tall.

The space above the fireplace is 78 inches wide and 38 inches tall.

img_3115.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm......

Contemplating possibilities!

Maybe it would look best to put the ketubah and a couple of favorite wedding pics (maybe an 8x10 on either side?) over the fireplace and then put a few of the art prints I've got waiting to frame over the stairs?

(Oh -- all frames would be wood and have Plexiglas to keep it from shattering)

Hmmmm.....
Off to look at the sizes of the art prints I have!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh TP, you're one strong woman! I can't imagine how much you've gone through (health-wise) with DH. I'm awed. It's so tough, but you're so good! I know you got frames, but I just got an image printed on metal (it's out 5th one) and it's SO awesome! Really brings to colors to life (doesn't hurt that I do some amateur photoshop ;)) ) If either of you ladies want to punch some images up, let me know! It's a pastime of mine -- I once did it for a lady who didn't even appreciate it :(

Got my grades for the semester-- all A's!!! We're looking at buying a home-- FI isn't the most realistic, we're going to have to compromise a lot. We currently live in a tiny studio (okay, I've seen tinier, but still 400sqft for 2 people isn't much). Since the whole "wedding" thing isn't particularly happening, I'd prefer to have more for a down payment. Biggest advantage on our side? We're both Realtors :bigsmile:
So I'm doing lots of research and whatnot. We don't have enough $$ for a perfect place, so reno would be necessary, but I don't even think we have enough $ for that. I think we'll end up just getting married in the courthouse and honeymooning in our new apt :lol:.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WD -- Congratulations on some AMAZING grades :appl:

Great that you are both in real estate! Should make buying easier. (hopefully!)
Being realistic about finding a house is NOT easy. We spent over a year looking because DH wanted 2000 sq ft or more (except on those days where he figured 700 was more than enough :lol: ) with a very dark downstairs but no moisture problems. Structurally sound in a very good neighborhood with no home owners association but also nothing too run down. Quiet but not too quiet. $100,000 less than a run down house in a lesser good neighborhood. Nice inside but not too nice (or he'd feel bad making changes :rolleyes: ). Enough of a yard but not too much...
We did eventually find it! 1780 sq ft with a downstairs that works great for our media room. Nice enough to live in as is but lots that needed (needs) improvement. Structurally sound so no major expense immediately. And the sellers had used it as a rental and had to sell it on a tight deadline or face massive tax consequences so they were willing to drop the price :bigsmile:

Anyway, good luck on the search!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I have too much time to think... should try to focus the thoughts on getting ready for my next quarter!

I've been thinking about anniversaries. 10 1/2 months away isn't too early to start planning, right :bigsmile:

I used to think about some small (or large for big anniversaries) sparkly thing over a beautiful dinner was just exactly the sort of thing I'd want. But then I learned about the "traditional" anniversary gifts (paper, cotton, leather, etc...) for each year and thought how fun and special it would be to find something creative for each of those (with sparklies for my b-day since it is right after everything is on sale for Valentine's Day...). Now I'm looking at the list again and debating. Some could be fun. Some could be eh. And silver (25 year), pearls (30 year), rubies, emeralds, diamonds (60 year) don't start until a long time in. DH is older than me... by the time we got to diamonds, he'd be almost 120 years old.

Gah!

Okay.... Of all the problems to have, this really isn't a bad one :))

I was just thinking and poor DH doesn't know what to suggest because the whole idea just seems goofy to him. He'll go with whatever I want to do.

So....
What are you guys doing? Do you know anyone who does the "traditional" gifts? Or skips "tradition" and goes for personal?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Merry (1st married!) Christmas Audball!

Hope you and your DH are having a wonderful day!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1388019245|3580485 said:

Thank you TP! We had a lovely time. Poor DH is now sick, though, and I'm keeping him medicated and hoping he feels better by the end of the day because he has to work tomorrow.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1388011613|3580450 said:
So....
What are you guys doing? Do you know anyone who does the "traditional" gifts? Or skips "tradition" and goes for personal?
I think the traditional ones can be super fun! We haven't talked about it yet, because we don't normally do big gifts, but I do think we'll try to follow the list. We're both just turned 27 and I hope we will make it to 60+ years of marriage!

I saw some things with creative ideas on what to get. And the couple shopped for a joint "big" gift for them to share that followed the tradition. Like for the year cotton, they got a new fancy bed for their room with fancy egyptian cotton sheets! And for the paper year, plane tickets for an anniversary trip! Lots of fun ways to incorporate them without them being useless tangible items. Just have to get creative!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1387698353|3579002 said:
Are you going to frame any of your wedding pictures to have at home?

Anyway....
Framed in the living room for all to see?
Framed in the office or bedroom for just us?
Stick to just the two 4x6 frames and call it done?
Framed for all to see. We love our photos and paid lots of money to have them. We'll have a nice wedding wall in the living room (10-14 shot in a nice collage with some 4x6, some 5x7, and one or two 8x10). We have so many black and white shots we love too, we thought about doing a mini collage in our room with 5-8 shots of black and whites. We also plan to do a photo book to have as a keepsake that shows more of the details, and will make/give one to each of our Mom's.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TP, I'm very proud :D And that's so great that you got the house you wanted! And sacrificing only 20sqft is awesome! We just live in a super not affordable area and the same price we can get for a 700sqft apartment is a 3 bedroom HOUSE just across the bridge. But that's the difference when you live on the beach! I just keep thinking that next year might not be a good time to buy... I just mean, I'm finishing school (read: -$$), we're attempting to plan some sort of elopement (read: +$$), he's the sole "breadwinner, (read: +$$), and a down payment on a house to boot (read: +$$$$)?! Sounds like a very expensive year! But the market is going up and prices will too... so I'm a bit caught in a bit of an impasse.

& you're adorable to be concerned about the anniversaries. I think the creative traditional gifts are super cute! And "big" ones, like 10, 20) should definitely include diamonds regardless :wink2: make it work!

Audball, I hope your DH feels better! FI is sick now too-- and I'm getting there too! What is it w/ Florida?! It's not even cold!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1388081786|3580847 said:
TooPatient|1388019245|3580485 said:

Thank you TP! We had a lovely time. Poor DH is now sick, though, and I'm keeping him medicated and hoping he feels better by the end of the day because he has to work tomorrow.

Oh no!
Hope he's feeling better!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1388081946|3580850 said:
TooPatient|1388011613|3580450 said:
So....
I think the traditional ones can be super fun! We haven't talked about it yet, because we don't normally do big gifts, but I do think we'll try to follow the list. We're both just turned 27 and I hope we will make it to 60+ years of marriage!

I saw some things with creative ideas on what to get. And the couple shopped for a joint "big" gift for them to share that followed the tradition. Like for the year cotton, they got a new fancy bed for their room with fancy egyptian cotton sheets! And for the paper year, plane tickets for an anniversary trip! Lots of fun ways to incorporate them without them being useless tangible items. Just have to get creative!

It is those fun creative ideas that make me sort of want to follow the "tradition". I like the idea of a joint gift so that we can both enjoy the finding and get something we actually need/want.

WD -- Oh, definite sparklies for the big anniversaries! Given how long I had to wait, the "big" anniversaries may just have to come a bit more often :bigsmile:

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1388336751|3582499 said:
Oh no!
He is! Thanks! But now I'm not...ugh! Cycle of illness between couples!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1388336902|3582501 said:
It is those fun creative ideas that make me sort of want to follow the "tradition". I like the idea of a joint gift so that we can both enjoy the finding and get something we actually need/want.
Me too! Joint {big} gifts are my idea of awesome.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1388367340|3582779 said:
TooPatient|1388336751|3582499 said:
Oh no!
He is! Thanks! But now I'm not...ugh! Cycle of illness between couples!

I try to remember that if he gets sick and then I get sick it just shows how well I cared for him :bigsmile:

Okay.... And then I whine some more about him always bringing stuff home from work :lol:
(Can't do that so much now that I brought whooping cough home from school a couple of years ago :rolleyes: )

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1388367387|3582780 said:
TooPatient|1388336902|3582501 said:
Me too! Joint {big} gifts are my idea of awesome.

They are great! You can do so much more with the bigger combined budget and it is something you'll both love. Planning and searching is half the fun!

Oh!
We got a toaster oven today!
Or is it a counter top oven?
Anyway, it was on big sale at Kohls and we'd been talking about getting one because it is silly to heat the big oven to just melt a bit of cheese or something on toast.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1388391216|3582903 said:
I try to remember that if he gets sick and then I get sick it just shows how well I cared for him :bigsmile:
Good way to look at it! I'm feeling better already so I definitely didn't get whatever it was as bad as my poor DH who is feeling MUCH better, but is still worse off than I am!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1388391423|3582906 said:
They are great! You can do so much more with the bigger combined budget and it is something you'll both love. Planning and searching is half the fun!
I definitely agree with this!

TooPatient|1388391423|3582906 said:
Oh!
We got a toaster oven today!
Or is it a counter top oven?
Anyway, it was on big sale at Kohls and we'd been talking about getting one because it is silly to heat the big oven to just melt a bit of cheese or something on toast.
Cool! We LOVE our toaster oven. It's super useful for heating up small things or even baking little dinners for two since it takes so much to heat up the real oven for little things.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TP -- I FINALLY posted a thread in BWW with wedding photos! Please take a look and enjoy!

Maybe we can start the weekly photos after the first of the year? What day of the week do you want to aim for? I'll need to add week one on whatever day we decide to start and then we can start going from there? What do you think!?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1388439502|3583285 said:
TP -- I FINALLY posted a thread in BWW with wedding photos! Please take a look and enjoy!

Maybe we can start the weekly photos after the first of the year? What day of the week do you want to aim for? I'll need to add week one on whatever day we decide to start and then we can start going from there? What do you think!?

Beautiful pictures!

Maybe Fridays?
Pretty much any week day works for me so whatever day is good for you!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1388478900|3583634 said:
Beautiful pictures!

Maybe Fridays?
Pretty much any week day works for me so whatever day is good for you!
Thanks! Friday should work -- I just may need some reminders! I definitely have more free time during the weekend, but I could always be right in there so that'll be fine.

So this Friday I'll add my Week 1 photo and then we'll go from there! Great way to kick off the new year!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
TP - re: photos, definitely do a big wall for all to see! That's what we did in our house and I just love it! It looks fab, and I so enjoy seeing them all the time and sharing them with people who come over since we had a tiny wedding and nobody amongst our friends here got to attend.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Also, happy new year to my fellow newlywed ladies!! :wavey:

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1388517668|3583940 said:
Also, happy new year to my fellow newlywed ladies!! :wavey:
You too!! Nice to see you hanging around in here ss!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi SS :wavey:

I do love the idea of pictures in the living room for all to see. We have two walls I'm trying to decide between. I think one would be big enough to do our ketubah plus two 8x10 plus two 4x6. The other wall might just be TOO big and look goofy. (I posted pictures and dimensions of both walls up a bit in this thread).

Happy New Year to you too!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1388547301|3584201 said:
I do love the idea of pictures in the living room for all to see. We have two walls I'm trying to decide between. I think one would be big enough to do our ketubah plus two 8x10 plus two 4x6. The other wall might just be TOO big and look goofy. (I posted pictures and dimensions of both walls up a bit in this thread).
I would put them on the large wall in the living room and use more than 4 photos. The ketubah is pretty large so that could be the center piece/focal point so you'll want things to surround that nicely. I think more than 4 photos is necessary, but it doesn't have to be a lot, maybe 10? It'd probably stick to more 5x7s and 4x6s since the ketubah is large, but with the size of the wall, I think you could also include some 8x10. Scale is obviously not good because I did this in paint in 5 seconds, but to give you a layout idea...

layout_idea_1.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the layout!

That is sort of what I was playing around with last night. The other wall is just too small so by the time the frame is on, the ketubah would be almost wedged into place.

Need to use the big wall.

Now to figure out frames....
One of our guests wants to take me to Aaron Brothers for a ketubah frame as her wedding gift. I guess if the price is something we can do now, we'd do matching otherwise I'll get stuff on sale that looks okay for now and then switch later.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Glad you like it. I think they'll look great on that living room wall and really that layout is only 10 photos with the ketubah so I don't think it's too much at all. We're trying to figure out frames for our photos, too!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay....
Looks goofy on my sad attempt at paint, but here is what we're leaning towards!
I cut out poster board templates of the appropriate sizes and measured out the size space we have to work with. It actually looks pretty good. Final shifting to make look right as we finalize which pictures (so portrait or landscape on the 5x7 photos).

The two 8x10 will be landscape -- one of us by the pond and the other of all the guests & us at the ceremony
The 5x7 are still being picked. I have a bunch of favorites to choose between.

DH wants two of our Chagall's to hang on the wall with the ketubah.

picture_layout.jpg

_39.gif

chagall_flowers.jpg

chagall_violinist.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need frequent fixer points or something with the appliance repair place!

Now our dishwasher is broken.... again!

This will be the 4th or 5th time the guy has been out for this particular dishwasher -- each time for something completely different.
The big benefit to this dishwasher is that all parts are easy to get and it just keeps on running far better than any of the previous THREE we had to replace...

Oh well.
We've got a supply of paper plates, plastic bowls, plastic forks/knives/spoons, etc for just this sort of thing and I can use disposable pans for cooking. (We also have hand washing basins and stuff but I don't feel bad using disposable for a few days to keep from spending hours scrubbing!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results