color
clarity

Random pictures/stories of our furbabies

• Thread starter Deactivated member 42515
  • Start date

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Random pictures/stories of our furbabies

AutumnNovember! So happy it's working out! Great news! Yay! I know how stressful it can be when you just want to enjoy your pups without drama! :) this is awesome, it'll be a little bit of work now but you will reap the benefits of this training for your dog's entire life! I'm glad I could help...our little one was so stressful at the time but I feel you get the dog you need, not necessarily the dog you want. :) Her learnings have helped me many times at the rescue!

Hospatogi! What a cutie, congrats! And thank you for rescuing, there are so many homeless puppies that I appreciate you giving your little one a forever home! :)

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks so much Zoe, junebug17, Lil misfit, YT,minousbijoux, and webdiva! We took her back to the vet today for vaccinations . The shelter spayed her at 8 weeks of age. While I feel that it was done too young I was very upset to learn that they used metal staples to stitch her up inside and outside. The outer metal staples were removed today but was told that the metals staples inside her will remain there indefinitely. I wish they had used dissolvable stitches. It seems that shelters used the metal ones as it is cheaper.
I also found out that she has a reccessed vulva. This means we need to keep the area clean after she pees and keep it dry to prevent UTIs. i have both medicated wipes and unscented baby wipes. The sad thing is that pups with a reccessed vulva often have it corrected on its own after the first heat. This often means less UTIs and other bacterial infections for females. Now we just have to wait and see if she develops chronic infections and if so will have to have it surgically corrected. I have heard that giving pups cranberry helps but haven't found a vet that believes in any holistic treatments in LA.
Would love any advice or suggestions! We love her to pieces and will do anything to keep her healthy and happy. We love that we adopted her rather than getting a pup from a breeder but wish the shelter had given us a chance to spay her later or at least take her to our vet so that she wouldn't have those metal staples inside her :(

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Hijacking this thread to show my furbabies again :love:

tinksandruss.jpg

peanutlaundry.jpg

justginger

Ideal_Rock

Hospatogi|1359248001|3364390 said:
Thanks so much Zoe, junebug17, Lil misfit, YT,minousbijoux, and webdiva! We took her back to the vet today for vaccinations . The shelter spayed her at 8 weeks of age. While I feel that it was done too young I was very upset to learn that they used metal staples to stitch her up inside and outside. The outer metal staples were removed today but was told that the metals staples inside her will remain there indefinitely. I wish they had used dissolvable stitches. It seems that shelters used the metal ones as it is cheaper.
I also found out that she has a reccessed vulva. This means we need to keep the area clean after she pees and keep it dry to prevent UTIs. i have both medicated wipes and unscented baby wipes. The sad thing is that pups with a reccessed vulva often have it corrected on its own after the first heat. This often means less UTIs and other bacterial infections for females. Now we just have to wait and see if she develops chronic infections and if so will have to have it surgically corrected. I have heard that giving pups cranberry helps but haven't found a vet that believes in any holistic treatments in LA.
Would love any advice or suggestions! We love her to pieces and will do anything to keep her healthy and happy. We love that we adopted her rather than getting a pup from a breeder but wish the shelter had given us a chance to spay her later or at least take her to our vet so that she wouldn't have those metal staples inside her :(

As someone who works in animal rescue, I personally think adopters should NEVER be allowed the option of having animals sterilized later. Some people simply would not do it, even if they have already paid for it. These lazy, irresponsible people cause the cycle to continue, giving rise to more and more unsterilized, homeless domestic pets. :nono: It makes me very happy indeed to hear that your shelter insists that all animals are desexed before going to their new homes. It is the only way to prevent so much future suffering.

8 weeks? A bit young, but we do have a vet here who will do it that young. That is how young my foster kittens can be, though I often choose to wait to 10 weeks (and the ones I have now still have not been done at 12 weeks, due to their previous illness and slow weight gain). I personally like having them done young because, so long as their weight is high enough to comfortably handle the anaesthetic, they bounce back VERY quickly. The comfort and healing time between our 8 week old kittens and their year-ish old mothers are like night and day. The kittens are back to normal by the end of the day they were fixed - their poor mothers always take days to recover properly.

But metal staples? I have NEVER, EVER heard of these being used in routine desexings. Ours have internal dissolvable stitches and regular external stitches, which I remove myself now. Metal staples is a totally foreign concept to me!

I am sorry this has happened to you. I don't understand why the vet who did her spaying didn't SEE she had a recessed vulva and act accordingly by not carrying out the surgery. She should have had the opportunity to be fostered by your family while awaiting the issue to correct itself - that way an unsterilized pet was not being adopted out, but at the same time the spaying wasn't occurring before her body had a chance to finish growing properly. :nono:

I really, really hope she grows out of it anyway. If not, sadly surgery will probably be the only way to go. It means a bit of cost and pain in the short term, but at least you know that when it's done, that's that. You can have a potty-trained, worry free experience for years to come. :))

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

What an awesome thread. Love all the pics and stories!

Here's our Bonita. We found her in the backyard, she was a kitten from our neighborhood's regrettably large stray population. It was cold and raining and I think her mom lost her for several hours, if not longer, so she was ready to be friendly to us (usually the feral cats run away and hiss and hide). She's been loving and friendly ever since we rescued her. Looks at this sweet baby. She knew how to eat cat food and use the litter box from day 1! Not a single accident :praise:

Here she is a couple weeks older, getting comfy with us, showing her playful self :rodent:

And here's our girl now. She's so BIG! Super curious, always likes to be around us. Not a big cuddler though, but I hope that'll come with age. She's still a 9-month old baby ::)

eating_-_copy.jpg

photo4_-_copy.jpg

mirror_mirror_-_copy.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

GemFever! I loooove your cat! Does she have white mittens on all feet?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks YT! She sure does! And she loves to cross her front paws in the most lady-like manner ::) I've been meaning to catch her doing it (which is all the time) and make a compilation photo strip. I'll post it here when it's done.

Her she is at a couple months old, my cutie <3

img_3941_-_copy.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

So adorable! All these pictures of kitties makes me want one! I've never even thought about getting a kitty till PS members started talking about their cats! I've always been a dog person. But DH would kill me if I brought home a kitty! We both wouldn't know what to do with it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aww, Gemfever, she is adorable! I lover her little spiky, fuzzy self in the first pic, the lovely little white mittens as she hugs your hand in the second, and the total focus on that cat looking at her through the mirror - you know she was only protecting you, right?!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

GemFever|1359265417|3364663 said:
Thanks YT! She sure does! And she loves to cross her front paws in the most lady-like manner ::) I've been meaning to catch her doing it (which is all the time) and make a compilation photo strip. I'll post it here when it's done.

Her she is at a couple months old, my cutie <3

She looks just like our Mittens when we first got her! They do grow fast. She's adorable!

justginger

Ideal_Rock

YT|1359266186|3364670 said:
So adorable! All these pictures of kitties makes me want one! I've never even thought about getting a kitty till PS members started talking about their cats! I've always been a dog person. But DH would kill me if I brought home a kitty! We both wouldn't know what to do with it!

Cats are lovely, independent creatures - you don't have to do much for them! Clean water, food, and a litterbox or access outside and you're set. Believe it or not, I didn't use to be a cat person either... :shock:

D

Deactivated member 42515

justginger said:

Cats are lovely, independent creatures - you don't have to do much for them! Clean water, food, and a litterbox or access outside and you're set. Believe it or not, I didn't use to be a cat person either... :shock:
Are they as affectionate and cuddly as dogs tho? It always seemed like they were a little standoffish...

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks for the sweet words about Bonita guys. She's fun. I'll get back with pics of her lady-paws. Too cute.

YT|1359271118|3364691 said:
Are they as affectionate and cuddly as dogs tho? It always seemed like they were a little standoffish...

YT, it really depends on the personality. My older cat is siamese, and has quite a character. Siamese are *vocal* too. You can actually talk to her, and she always has to have the last meow ::) She is affectionate with her family, but does not like strangers. As she grew older, she got extremely affectionate and cuddly. And she always waits at the window for us to come home.

Bonita is not super cuddly yet, but she is sooocial. She loves people, always hangs out when we have a crowd (like tonight). She's very curious, and sometimes follows me around and just watches, participates, especially in the kitchen. Also, she loves my jewelry. Particularly stealing it :cheeky:

I guess cats and dogs are just different worlds. My family hasn't had a dog in years (and when we did have one before moving to the US, it was an outside guard dog. The cleverest German Shepherd I ever met. He could pick a lock, I swear!)... maybe when we have kids, if they really want a dog and are old enough to walk it all the time... :rodent:

justginger

Ideal_Rock

YT|1359271118|3364691 said:
justginger said:

Every one is different. My foster fail (one I was fostering, but then adopted myself), Leta, is the most affectionate cat I have ever found. She is 2 now and still sleeps curled up under my chin every night and sometimes wakes me up by licking my eyebrows! :love:

This is exactly why I recommend adopting pets from foster organizations - the foster mom can tell you if the animal is unusually playful, unusually curious, unusually affectionate. I love knowing that I am creating excellent matches between my fosters and their new forever families. :))

hoover

Shiny_Rock

Reviving this thread... I'm really late to the party and wanted to play too!

I spent a buttload of money on four (yes, four!) dog beds, two mats, and two crates for my monster... of all things for him to choose to sleep/play on, he chose the FREE box from costco :roll:

101-0145_img.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Awwww, Hoover, that is the cutest thing! Look at those guilty eyes, like "Momma, I know this box was your prized possession and was really expensive, but I couldn't help it - it is just so darn comfy!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

One more thing: do I detect a certain similarity between your avatar and your cutie-in-a-box?!! :lol:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hoover|1360714063|3378710 said:

I spent a buttload of money on four (yes, four!) dog beds, two mats, and two crates for my monster... of all things for him to choose to sleep/play on, he chose the FREE box from costco :roll:

He's precious! And, looks a bit like my Rosie. But what do my monsters prefer? dirty laundry

D

Deactivated member 42515

KaeKae said:
hoover|1360714063|3378710 said:

He's precious! And, looks a bit like my Rosie. But what do my monsters prefer? dirty laundry
Awe Hoover! You know I've been a fan of your baby ever since you joined! He's soooo cute!!!

My Livi woo loves toys with big butts! She will turn them around and nibble on their butts. :)

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock

awww hoover he's just got the most kissable face look at those sweet eyes! Yeah mamma don't be mad please this box is ooooooooh so comfy lol.
Love all the furbabies here ..... now you've got me wanting a kitty also..... but my hands are quite full with my 5 little monsters lol.

Attached a picture of the babies they're 4 months old now.

Fiona is on the pillow, Jaxon is forefront, and Gracie

_3677.jpg

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Squeeee!!! Stop making me want a kitty! I love cats, but I'm so terribly allergic! We had a cat when i was a kid, and I couldn't resist cuddling him til my eyes just about swelled shut ::nono::

D

Deactivated member 42515

Leo, SIL's puppy

imageuploadedbytapatalk1360861668.jpg

hoover

Shiny_Rock

I keep coming back to look at everyone's furbabies - they're all so cute!

YT - Leo looks like my guy when his fur is long. Is he a mini-doodle?

Minousbijoux - lol... Same deadpan look? :naughty:

YT, Cluless, KaeKae, Minousbijoux - isn't it funny/exasperating how you spend so much time and effort (not to mention $$$) to buy our pets things that we think they'll like and they end up picking the cheapest stuff? My monster also loves to destroy empty cardboard toilet paper and paper towel rolls. He won't even look at the Busy Buddy or treat balls because that's too much work! :lol:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock

We went to the dog beach today!!

I wish I could upload the video I took of him swimming!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1361089670.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1361089696.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

hoover said:
I keep coming back to look at everyone's furbabies - they're all so cute!

YT - Leo looks like my guy when his fur is long. Is he a mini-doodle?

Minousbijoux - lol... Same deadpan look? :naughty:

YT, Cluless, KaeKae, Minousbijoux - isn't it funny/exasperating how you spend so much time and effort (not to mention $$$) to buy our pets things that we think they'll like and they end up picking the cheapest stuff? My monster also loves to destroy empty cardboard toilet paper and paper towel rolls. He won't even look at the Busy Buddy or treat balls because that's too much work! :lol:
I think I asked you a while back (maybe) what kind of dog you had cuz we didn't know what Leo was. SIL bought him as a cockapoo but he's not looking a cockapoo, and more like a mini labradoodle.

D

Deactivated member 42515

tuffyluvr said:

I wanna see the video!! He looks sooo happy!!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tuffyluvr|1361089987|3382220 said:

Oh Tuffyluvr, those pics are awesome! Your dog must feel so freeeeeee!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

junebug17|1359236788|3364264 said:
04diamond<3|1359173905|3363904 said:
Our smaller cat is Mittens she's going to be 2 this year and the cow looking one is Spunk and he'll be 4. One greets me when I've finished my homework, the other tries to prevent me from doing my homework :nono:

Aw, they're so sweet 04diamond<3!!! I love Spunk's coloring!

Thanks Junebug ::) He's SOOO dramatic!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

We got a new kitty from a shelter around Thanksgiving time. Four cats now. Husband was soooooo less than pleased with me b/c I just pretty much made an announcement that I was getting her and that was the end of it.

I'd been feeling so sad about having to put our Bella down a year and a half ago, and did a google search for tortoiseshell cats (that's what Bella was), and this shelter kittah popped up, only 45 minutes away. I stalked the shelter site for 3 months and finally figured since she was still there, she needed to be with me.

I filled out the application and was approved, so the kids and my mom and I drove to meet her. Her name was Skittles. There were about 50-60 cats there, so we did a lot of playing and when we left I looked like Chewbacca from all the cat hair on me. But we left w/Skittles, and the lady at the shelter almost cried.

Skittles became Clementine Isabelle. She is wonderful. JD have her the eye the next morning when he got home from work "So..that's her huh?" and a "hmph". But..Clem has some sort of magic in her b/c as irritated as JD was w/me for going against his wishes and getting her, the first time she hopped up on his lap that day and stretched out on him, he was sold.

The other cats are standoffish, but not Clem. She's very certain, when she wants attention, she will get it. She holds eye contact w/you and will run across the room, the couch, the kids, whatever is in her way, to get to you. And she takes turns sitting on laps. She'll sit w/me and sleep for a while, and then suddenly she's awake and climbing over the end table to the other couch to curl up on JD's chest for a while. Before he had to shave for the Academy, she used to stretch out on him and reach her paws up to his face and knead her paws in his beard.

Britta doesn't have the time of day for her, but she's not as growly/hissy w/Clem as she is w/the other two cats for whatever reason..I wonder if it's b/c Britta and Clem are both torties, if cats understand that or not. Opilio and Chucknorris were a little freaked out right at first..Opilio more so than Chucknorris. Norris just kinda followed Clem around all wide eyed and gomer-ish. Now, the three of them sleep w/us at night, although the other morning all four of them were in there w/us.

The lady at the shelter said Clem had been there almost 3 years, and was brought in as a kitten. I figured out that about the time Bella was getting so sick, is about the time Clem was brought to the shelter. So, I think she was pretty much meant to be.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1361223783|3383460 said:
We got a new kitty from a shelter around Thanksgiving time. Four cats now. Husband was soooooo less than pleased with me b/c I just pretty much made an announcement that I was getting her and that was the end of it.

I'd been feeling so sad about having to put our Bella down a year and a half ago, and did a google search for tortoiseshell cats (that's what Bella was), and this shelter kittah popped up, only 45 minutes away. I stalked the shelter site for 3 months and finally figured since she was still there, she needed to be with me.

I filled out the application and was approved, so the kids and my mom and I drove to meet her. Her name was Skittles. There were about 50-60 cats there, so we did a lot of playing and when we left I looked like Chewbacca from all the cat hair on me. But we left w/Skittles, and the lady at the shelter almost cried.

Skittles became Clementine Isabelle. She is wonderful. JD have her the eye the next morning when he got home from work "So..that's her huh?" and a "hmph". But..Clem has some sort of magic in her b/c as irritated as JD was w/me for going against his wishes and getting her, the first time she hopped up on his lap that day and stretched out on him, he was sold.

The other cats are standoffish, but not Clem. She's very certain, when she wants attention, she will get it. She holds eye contact w/you and will run across the room, the couch, the kids, whatever is in her way, to get to you. And she takes turns sitting on laps. She'll sit w/me and sleep for a while, and then suddenly she's awake and climbing over the end table to the other couch to curl up on JD's chest for a while. Before he had to shave for the Academy, she used to stretch out on him and reach her paws up to his face and knead her paws in his beard.

Britta doesn't have the time of day for her, but she's not as growly/hissy w/Clem as she is w/the other two cats for whatever reason..I wonder if it's b/c Britta and Clem are both torties, if cats understand that or not. Opilio and Chucknorris were a little freaked out right at first..Opilio more so than Chucknorris. Norris just kinda followed Clem around all wide eyed and gomer-ish. Now, the three of them sleep w/us at night, although the other morning all four of them were in there w/us.

The lady at the shelter said Clem had been there almost 3 years, and was brought in as a kitten. I figured out that about the time Bella was getting so sick, is about the time Clem was brought to the shelter. So, I think she was pretty much meant to be.

I love this! Everything! That she was meant to be; that she is a cuddler; that she won over hubby instantaneously (we saw that one coming, didn't we?); that the other cats accepted her so quickly; that she came in about the time that Bella was getting sick.

What I don't love is the lack of pictures. Harruuumphhh.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results