shape
carat
color
clarity

Quotes for HW pave halo E-Ring! Leon v Steve Facets, JBEG,

YaelMay

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I finally received news for my Harry Winston Pave RB Halo from Leon Mege, Facets Collection, Steve Kirsch, ERD, JBEG, and Lauren B. I also finally I picked my stone (1.4 E SI1 Triple Exc). See my previous post selecting diamond and deciding which jeweler - some ladies posted gorgeous pictures of halos and pave work by Leon, Steve, Maytal Hannah. Some pricescopers mentioned other jewelry talent includes: Sareen Jewelry, Victor Canera...I am not familiar with those yet.

I've been doing pricescope research and studying jewelers for more than 6 months, so I became very picky when I saw the level of perfection pricescopers have in achieving their amazing amazing rings.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...cro-pave-e-ring.159896/#post-2907581#p2907581

Now for my quotes I described the following HW inspired pave round HALO ring:
I wanted the melee (pave stones) on the halo to be slightly smaller than the shank so as not to overwhelm my 1.41 carat stone!
I battled long about cutdown or vcut pave, but ultimately decided cutdown looks much better and the additional metal seen (potentially) is minimal. V-cut in some cases reminds me too much of fishtail, which I don't enjoy.
My specific preference is also that the stone sit FLUSH with halo - almost water tight, and to cover the mental on the inside of the halo so the metal is minimized.

Ring Specifications
Pave type: Cutdown pave
Melee size (approx): 1.25 pointers for shank, 1.15 pointers for halo
Melee quality: D color, VVS, Ideal Cuts
Shank: 1.8 mm width, pave 3/4 around, (4 o'clock and 8 o'clock)
Halo: 1.5 mm width
Halo Pave: melee stones should facing be 30 degrees away from center stone to
Stems: paved and curved up and out towards girdle of stone (from shank), like a martini glass
Donut: none (would like the stems from the halo to the bottom of the basket to come to a single point that connects to the shank, like a the top of a martini glass!)
Halo A jour (bottom of halo is open to see the culets of the melee pave)

Back to quotes: I spoke to Leon, Steve, Facets (best friends jeweler), Lauren B, on the phone after receiving quotes

Leon Mege quote: considered the master of pave, Leon's quote for the Adrianna was priced like a master. Not all the melee was included in the quote and wait time was 6+ weeks. Spoke to Leon on the phone - he was super nice and I really enjoyed speaking with him. Didn't come across as anything other than a great guy who gave me the time of day after he sent me the quote. Even explained some questions about including a "surprise hidden stone" in the adrianna. .

Steve Kirsch quote: *my expectation* was his quote would come in slightly below Leons (based on some other pricescopers comments) but his quote was shockingly identical as Leons!! To the nearest $100. Spoke with Steve on the phone, he was nice, down to earth, and wouldn't give me a price even though I had all the specs worked out down to the approximate total melee he would have to use - he said he'll email me back which took a few hours. Very flexible and open to me coming in for appointment same day as we spoke, given I'm in NYC. The quote, compared to Leon is indexed 100% of price.

Facets Collection (PJ Ralph jeweler, by appt only): Recommendation from my best friend (and her gorgeous vintage-styled 2 carat D colored princess E Ring and eternity ring with surprise stone on inside was done by PJ Ralph, and she makes custom jewelry there often and had her cousin's ring made by Facets Collection as well, so its a personal recommendation) I was initially hesitant because Facets Collection website shows CAD like jewelry with high quality melee, but not the delicate custom work I was looking for. What I learned after quoting for my custom request is they don't display the custom work that they do, which is 80% of their business! They do mostly custom work, as I saw and heard from my best friends gorgeous E ring. Their quote was 25% less, and after I mentioned I wanted D VVS melee (normal melee they use is is F-G VS pave stones), they didn't charge me extra. I've made an appointment to meet with them next Monday! I also asked them to show me some pave work and requested to meet directly with the jeweler handcrafting my work(THE person handcarving my precious ring and creating the perfect curve in my stems, not to mention ideal proportions of the halo and impeccable pave shank work)

My appointment is next week, and if I told them that i'm expecting to see the quality and craftsmanship of world class quality, and explained I am comparing them to Leon and Steve (both of whose work they have seen, as any jeweler should). If not, then my next appointments are with Steve and Leon!!! (Can you imagine if they show me some incredible handwork AND I pay 25% less?!?! :love: :appl: I'd be the happiest girl on earth.

Wish me luck........ CAN'T WAIT.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Re: Quotes for HW pave halo E-Ring! Leon v Steve Facets, JB

Sorry but I just don't see Facets in the same league. I said Leon and Steven's prices are almost the same so I am glad I was proven correct. Sometimes .. Steven's prices will even be more if there are major demands like make my ring in 3 days .. rightfully it should be more!

How did your ERD and JbEG quotes turn out?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Are the facets rings hand forged and fabricated?

iota15

Brilliant_Rock

I have a hard time imagining it's just as good at Facets for 25% less too.

Ask Facets if they'll let you take pictures of the work they show you. It'd be very educational to us (as well as quite a promotional opportunity for them). Let's see what they have.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good luck! It sounds like you've found someone you're happy to work with, whose work you like - and if you like the price, too, well hey what's there to complain about? :appl:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Any updates?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not sure how Steven doesn't come out on top for this type of ring. I'd give Victor Canerra a shot as well. Steven has proven he can do what Leon can with perfection. I am sure HW doesn't do any better. This type of ring just needs to be done by someone proven as far as I am concerned.

Marshalls

Rough_Rock

Sorry to jack your post but irrespective of the price, how does Leon and Steven compare to designer brands like Tiffany and Harry Winston when it comes to paved halos? I'm asking about quality vs quality, not brand vs brand.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1304643051|2913493 said:
I'm not sure how Steven doesn't come out on top for this type of ring. I'd give Victor Canerra a shot as well. Steven has proven he can do what Leon can with perfection. I am sure HW doesn't do any better. This type of ring just needs to be done by someone proven as far as I am concerned.

Couldn't agree more but I think the OP already made up their mind. I just learnt that when I make a decision to save a few bucks .. I always end up spending more because saving a few bucks equals to not what I really wanted. I frankly can't believe that facets can do this level of quality work.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

ditto i also have a feeling that OP made up her mind without even seeing LM and SK's work (her loss really... sad) . but when chatting with SK during one of my visits, he had told me that the HW store on 5th ave sent him assignments in making new rings for them from time to time, until he got so busy with his custom projects with his private clients (i.e. us PS'ers and others), that he has since stopped working with HW. so here is the evidence that there is no way Facets can be on the same caliber with SK or LM. to my knowledge SK hand forges and pulls rings form one solid block of metal, and even mixes his own metals. i doubt facets could devote that type of time and energy...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

frankiextah|1304902359|2915784 said:
to my knowledge SK hand forges and pulls rings form one solid block of metal, and even mixes his own metals. i doubt facets could devote that type of time and energy...

Yup. SK's metal work is just amazing. I am so impressed by it. I was pretty excited trying on my metal band. I can't wait to get another project going soon but I need to concentrate spending on the wedding, new house and new car :razz:

stci

Ideal_Rock

Good luck Sweety!!! :appl: :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good luck Yaelmay! I hope you are happy with what you see. The most important thing is that it is exactly what you want.
I don't think anyone here has really seen any custom work by Facets, so I will be interested in what you see and what you think of it.
I hope you enjoy the process!

YaelMay

Rough_Rock

I know its been months - but here is how the situation between Facets (P.J. Ralph), Steve K and Leon played out.

Quotes for Leon and Steve were identical - approximately $8,000 (halo and single row of pave and pave on stems) for the setting, labor and pave diamonds and materials
Facets collection with P.J. Ralph making the piece - 50% lower.

Facets was too attractive to pass trying, and from the prior posts, I learned: Steve can fix anything.....so I took my chances. Risks were mitigated by:
1)Jeweler was trained by and worked for Harry Winston doing pave and stone setting work for over 7 years
2) I saw the jeweler's work in 3 different pieces from best friend (gorgeous 2 carat vintage-like setting with pave, wedding band, and 2 earring sets)
3) Promised hand holding and that if I wasn't satisfied with piece, they would potentially reimburse for cost of fixing the ring by another jeweler if I wasn't happy with final product, but they said there is NO WAY I won't love their work
4) 50% less than Steve K and Leon (can't beat that - assuming ring was going to be of the same quality)
5) Allowed me to give them as much direction as I wanted

Result: 3 planning meetings with Facets, jewelry maker/diamond setter and owner of jewelry store
Meeting 1) showed me existing pieces currently working on
Meeting 2) I presented them with a 25 page powerpoint listing out proportions, pave specs, metal width, pave techniques and finishes, total pave weight, halo proportions, shank proportions, stem angles, diamond placement in prongs. ect. 25 pages of powerpoint was SERIOUS.
Meeting 3) Jeweler marked up powerpoint and went line item by line item what he was planning to do

2 week later - 9 phone calls later during the week later....
pulling out hair for hours on end later.....

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pictures to follow.

This ring is a "Leon" RB Halo at 50% cost. Is that possible? I didn't believe it. I couldn't believe it. But its true. Facets blew my mind.

YaelMay

Rough_Rock

Sparkler_H&A.JPG

Facets Ring 1.JPG

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1304643051|2913493 said:

I agree, Steven can do what Leon can and then some, and you're assured of excellent communication and customer service.
Why shouldn't he charge the same as Leon or more if deadlines are tighter? His work speaks for itself.
The ring is beautiful, it's different from SK and LM's style, but you love it and are very happy and really that's ALL that matters.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very nice... :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Very nice... look forward to seeing more facet's custom work, especially if their prices are competitive. I'm so glad you are happy with you ring! Finger shots please!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

YaelMay|1311209054|2973444 said:
THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pictures to follow.

This statement is all that matters. Congrats on your ring. :) This thread turned out different than how I thought it would, but at the end of the day, someone's dream was made real. Good stuff. :))

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats, it's just gorgeous! Those stems are perfect.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! Just gorgeous, I'm glad you got the ring of your dreams without the price overkill. it's very beatiful wear it in good health xo

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

It looks really nice!

To be fair, it does not have the same level of metal work that a hand forged piece would have (based on the pics you posted), but for price and for consumers who are happy with cast work, seems like Facets could be a contenter!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I also think it is good to pick a vendor who fits you well. From the sounds of it, Leon would not have been a good choice anyways since I am fairly certain he would not look at a 25 page power point show 8) I am not sure about Steven, but he might have balked too. When a consumer has such a clear vision and wants to be so involved in managing the process, seems it is often a good idea to skip the "artisan" vendors.

YaelMay

Rough_Rock

TristanC|1311239812|2973643 said:
YaelMay|1311209054|2973444 said:

This statement is all that matters. Congrats on your ring. :) This thread turned out different than how I thought it would, but at the end of the day, someone's dream was made real. Good stuff. :))

TristanC - That's a wonderful statement. Thank you :) Loved reading it - made my day.
Its different than I turned out too - I was fully prepared to be disappointed and griped about not paying up and going with a Steve K or Leon. I expected a disaster and my heart had been set on Leon for months, even though I forced myself to take the fully academic and research oriented approach and consider all my vendors, options, prices, quality, outcomes, guarantees, service, etc. My hope was Steve K would be cheaper - but he wasn't.

Ultimately, when it came down to going with Leon and writing the check - I hesitated. And to pay about 60% of the value of my 1.41 E RB stone for the setting was too painful. I tried to "mitigate risk" by having the jeweler give me a guarantee that the ring would not be finished until it was my "perfect ring" and matched what I presented to them in my 25 page documentation, and the closer statement was that "in the case that the jeweler is unsuccessful in delivering what you want, we will compensate you for the cost to have the ring augmented and crafted by a jeweler who will deliver what you want" They knew it wouldn't come to that, but I didn't believe them. Between the deposit and seeing the final ring half of my hair fell out and I was constantly a phone call away from calling and canceling the ring and telling them to keep the deposit. I was convinced I'd have to go to Steve K to get it fixed.

Risk mitigation was the reason I jumped into this (I'm a finance professional) and maximize return on investment based on some plausible scenarios I considered, but the heart and the head don't always align. My decision was made with my calculator and mitigating risk, and at the end, my heart soared. :)

YaelMay

Rough_Rock

Dreamer_D|1311268223|2973852 said:
It looks really nice!

To be fair, it does not have the same level of metal work that a hand forged piece would have (based on the pics you posted), but for price and for consumers who are happy with cast work, seems like Facets could be a contenter!

Hi Dreamer D,

Here is the thing - it is a custom made piece. The picture that you see is one where the halo metal work looks thick, which too much metal showing, but that is not the way it looks at all. I posted it for the profile only - I know the edge looks like it is thick with too much metal in that picture - which is why you think its cast work.

IT IS NOT CAST WORK!!! I would have NEVER EVER gone with cast work. I never considered any jewelers who did cast work. In fact, I saw pictures of the ring in its separate components - crown was separate, shank was separate, with straight stems, then curved stems, no diamonds, then diamonds, the halo was angled 30 degrees away from the center stone to create less edge on the outside. I met the metal worker 3 times myself - face to face - he was ready to KILL ME. Especially when I asked to change the stem shape - more curved.

NOT CAST WORK! I SWEAR! I will post detailed shots. Now their website - which is targeted to "mass jewelry" is cast work and CAD. There was no CAD, because this is custom. Facets (with some help from a business consultant who is also a happy customer of their custom work wink wink) is building out a separate web page showing custom work pieces - which they never advertised on the website but I told them with their prices and person referral credibility and location in NYC, they could be bringing in SO MUCH premier business and competing with Leon and Steve K. Its all about marketing. They are going to be launching "custom work gallery soon"

Since I worked with them compulsively over 8 weeks (4 weeks before I put the deposit down and signed up and 4 weeks during making the ring) and became their biggest pain - I saw some custom pieces they work on. $627,000 necklace half made in vault - amazing. All custom - all handmade. They don't advertise that work because its word of mouth only and not things over the internet at that level - my $22 K ring was chump change - but they treated me like their child with OCD. I saw about 12 custom pieces in progress - most of them jaw dropping and above the $30,000 mark.

I know you're thinking otherwise - but I would have NEVER considered a cast work piece unless I upgraded from my 1.41 E SI1 H&Ato a 1.41 E VVS or 1.6 E S1 and had no money left on the setting. (If I knew this before I had this massive experience, then I might have upgraded and left less money for the setting, instead I saved $$$. More for the wedding band!) My ideal was Leon and Steve K - and the ring is that level of workmanship and quality and hand work for WAY less. Maybe after what they went through with me - they will up their prices, since I'm sure they lost money on me because I demanded such labor intensive reworks and was a drain on their custom metal work jeweler - but for 60% less value I received 94% of the workman ship and quality and 1000% (10x) service and catering.

The 1 thing I would say is different between Facets and Leon/Steve is that "art" piece is gone. If you tell them to conceive a piece of art around a gorgeous stone they might come short - if you tell them EXACTLY what you want is a Leon piece and work with them - WHOA - you get ridiculous value and gorgeous piece. If you want "art" by an artist - you should definitely pay full boat and go with Leon. If you want Leon, and can direct them into what you want, then you win win win with a gorgeous ring and price. I'm looking at my ring and I want to cry its so perfect.

Leon has competition at 30%-40% discount. This is dangerous.

If anyone wants custom work like I received from Facets, just call them and talk to them about it one on one (ask for P.J Ralph, the owner) or Leah who organizes custom pieces, project manages jewelers and helps with diamond concierge. Its not Cast Iron.

I'm glad someone pointed out that I never clarified that this is 100% custom made, hand made piece which I had the chance to observe in the process.

More pictures to come!!! I PROMISE to share the beauty and excitement of this ring and process.

YaelMay

Rough_Rock

Laila619|1311247712|2973661 said:
Congrats, it's just gorgeous! Those stems are perfect.

Thank you Laila. I'm so excited someone noticed! Facets jeweler was ready to kill me over the stems - I had to get the angle just right :) Neurosis gets the best of me sometimes!

YaelMay

Rough_Rock

Handshot_Driving.JPG

Sparkler_H&A#2.JPG

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

It is a lovely ring and really good value at the price. I am very happy it worked out for you.

There is more metal in the pave work when compared to Leon, Steven and Victor. However, I do think the work is compareable to Ocean, Maytal and a few others. Definetly a good vendor to consider for the price.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

CharmyPoo|1311283425|2974050 said:
It is a lovely ring and really good value at the price. I am very happy it worked out for you.

There is more metal in the pave work when compared to Leon, Steven and Victor. However, I do think the work is compareable to Ocean, Maytal and a few others. Definetly a good vendor to consider for the price.

I agree, it reminds me very much of Maytal's style/work.
I hope this doesn't get taken out of context, YaelMay, because I do not mean it with ANY kind of malicious intent, only good humor, and you have expressed proudly how you have been to work with throughout this process. I just want to say WOW :shock: Facets deserves some kind of kudos for going along with this and producing something you are thrilled with, not many could or would. Leon would not have gone with a 25 page power point presentation of demands, I assure you. I envision the Seinfeld episode with Elaine - "no soup for you!".
You found the very best vendor for your needs and personality, and at the end of the day we all want to find that, whoever we choose.
Congrats on your beautiful ring :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fantastic new pics!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results