clarity

Quizz - What Clarity Grade is this 0.90ct diamond

What GIA Clarity grade is this 0.90ct diamond

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The main table inclusion breaks the surface as a very very fine line - no gaps.
If you are game you might even guess in the thread what grade other labs like EGL, IGI and HRD might give the diamond, just for fun.
1598771222524.png
1598771654714.png

I1 in my opinion. That inclusion looks like a gash :( could even be an I2, possibly. I would assume that a softer grade (perhaps EGL) would be an SI1 or SI2, but not higher??

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i'll go with I2,

softer would be si2

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
im Going with I 1 as well. Softer might be SI2

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Im fairly new at this....but I’ll go I1

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went with SI2. The inclusion under the table would automatically make it an SI due to size and Location. The number of inclusions would also make it an SI. But because they are all clear inclusions and not the dark gray/ black type and the diamond itself doesn’t look cloudy or speckled, I don’t believe it would get an I1 or I2.

I’d venture to say EGL would be softer and give it an SI1.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I voted. I graded it higher than many others have done, but I don't want to sway any voters.
A very interesting question would ask what grade would you think if it was a 0.25ct stone, a 1.50 carat stone or a 5 carat stone? It would be fun to know how Pricescopers perceive the GIA clarity grading system. You'd think it was direct and consistent, but while it works, it is full of nuances.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm.. since I have seen GIA plots look like someone dropped spaghetti.... and Garry has brought this particular stone and plot to our attention.....I've gone with VS2.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Im not going to answer in public either but I voted.
Remember that Garry posted it so there is a lesson here.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SI1

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
GIA SI2, EGL VS2 or SI1
There are not many inclusions compared to some SI1 plots, but the main inclusion is right on the table.

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Between and SI 1 and 2. Leaning SI2.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I voted SI2.

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Im not going to answer in public either but I voted.
Remember that Garry posted it so there is a lesson here.

Good call :). This is why I do really think it’s an SI 1. Gotta have a good vendor to proof these SI 1’s....or see them in person. Although I wasn’t sure if a line on the table could automatically bump the grade?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good call :). This is why I do really think it’s an SI 1. Gotta have a good vendor to proof these SI 1’s....or see them in person. Although I wasn’t sure if a line on the table could automatically bump the grade?
I am not a diamond grader so I have no precise answer.
But,,I have a feeling that...
1: what I think the grade should be.
2: what the grade should be in a sane world
3: what the grade actually is
Are 3 different things.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I voted SI1 (I would never buy this diamond, but I would buy other SI1's)

Last edited:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I sent in a diamond to GIA that had a very similar inclusion, and GIA graded it SI2. I thought for sure it was I1. I still think GIA was smoking crack so voted I1 here, any feather that breaks the surface, no matter how thin, should be I1.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I sent in a diamond to GIA that had a very similar inclusion, and GIA graded it SI2. I thought for sure it was I1. I still think GIA was smoking crack so voted I1 here, any feather that breaks the surface, no matter how thin, should be I1.

Same here!! I had a diamond that had only a small cloud other than a big, white feather dead in the center. It got graded an SI2, but I was told it was borderline I1. And it was completely eye clean!! :think:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Same here!! I had a diamond that had only a small cloud other than a big, white feather dead in the center. It got graded an SI2, but I was told it was borderline I1. And it was completely eye clean!! :think:

Mine isn't completely eye-clean, at least not to me. I can def see the crystal under the table outside when the light hits it just right. If you want to laugh, check out the report. The feather is on the crown but it has just about every other inclusion as well. It's an earring stone lol. But yea, GIA def smoking crack that day.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I said si1, but I’m thinking of changing to vs2

It’s magnified

(I didn’t look at anyone’s reply when I made my choice)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It must have a suprisingly high grade for you to ask. So I'll make the crazy guess of VS2 just for fun. But I'd never buy this diamond...it would be in my SI2-I1 category with a feather in the center of the table.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
When I took my diamond to be appraised (Barry Block of Jewelry Judge) he explained to me that the length of my feather called for an I1 grade. I could be wrong, but that feather looks almost as long as mine was...mine had a hook in it tho, so it might have been longer. I wish i still had the report, but i sent it to its new owner when i sold it...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A very interesting question would ask what grade would you think if it was a 0.25ct stone, a 1.50 carat stone or a 5 carat stone?
It would be fun to know how Pricescopers perceive the GIA clarity grading system. You'd think it was direct and consistent, but while it works, it is full of nuances.
Great question Dave.
Few people understand that the lower level grading depends on the amount of inclusion in a diamond.
In top clarities its based on the size of the inclusion.

So there are actually 2 clarity grading systems in GIA's poorly invented systen that meet in the VS range.
Take a picture of an I3 and it doesn't matter if it is 0.10ct sized or 10ct sized.
But in the case of a VS2 it is totally invisible at 0.10ct size and visible from a yard or a meter at 10ct size.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Only a few of you have had a crack at this:
If you are game you might even guess in the thread what grade other labs like EGL, IGI and HRD might give the diamond, just for fun.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results