shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about gradings/dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jdenomy

Rough_Rock
Me again.. Thanks in advance for all the help you all will give me!!

I have a couple questions about things I''ve seen on grading certificates.

First, under characteristics, I''ve seen things like Crystal, Cloud, Pin Point, Feather, Indented Natural, etc. Just wondering what all these things mean, and how it affects the diamond.

Secondly, I''m looking to purchase a princess cut diamond (0.50-0.80, I''m still a young working class boy) and was wondering, what table/depth dimensions I should be looking for, as well as what kind of Girdle''s I am looking for.

Thanks again for all the help. I''m extremely happy I stumbled across this website, it has saved me much headache already!

afrodyt2000

Rough_Rock
I can''t answer all your questions but if you go to www.gemappraisers.com and then on the left frame click on "old AGA Cut Grade Charts and rules" you pick the type of stone and it will give you the ideal girdle ranges, crown %, depth % etc.

jdenomy

Rough_Rock
http://www.mondera.com/diamonds/product.asp?partno=413613&sourceID=BPVd0yuZ5sA-NznvcTpFJdfpZFX8hUVqAQ

and

http://www.mondera.com/diamonds/product.asp?partno=413613&sourceID=BPVd0yuZ5sA-9orjblLxENudj5gEpp1Ubg

and

http://www.diamond.com/diamond_details.asp?Sn=409193936&pf_id=121914

are a couple of diamonds I''m looking at right now. Let me know what you think of each if possible.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
First, under characteristics, I''ve seen things like Crystal, Cloud, Pin Point, Feather, Indented Natural, etc. Just wondering what all these things mean, and how it affects the diamond.

Pin Point - This is a very, very minute inclusion Not anything to be concerned about unless you want a flawless diamond, then a pinpoint takes it out of the flawless gradings. Generally they are very difficult to see, and if it is the only inclusion(s) it would be graded as a VVS 1 in most cases although if it is sort of difficult to obvious to see (generally because of location) it might be graded a VVS-2.

Cloud - A group of pinpoints which are together which sort of appears like a cloud.

Indented Natural - This is a section of the rough diamond''s outer skin, left on the stone, because cutting it off would reduce the diameter ( hence the weight retention). Where this is and how large it is is important to know.

Feather - This is basically a "soft" terminolgy for a crack. They must run not parallel with the graining or clevage direction of the diamond. If it does it is called a cleavage. Stones with cleavages or feathers, should be check for any potneital durability isses.

RE: Affects the diamond

The affect on a particular diamond by its inclusions in a stone by stone analysis. It depends on the location, how easily they are seen, if they break the facet surface, how LARGE or SMALL they are, and if they have strain around them.

There are lots of other types of inclusions - I basically only answered the ones you had questions about.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results