shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about cushions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying a cushion diamond, but before I start seriously searching, I want to know a few things from the experts out there!

- is a culet visible to the naked eye always bad?
- are there any cushion facet partterns where the table sits straight (most of the pictures I''ve seen the table appears to be sitting on the diagonal) Or is it the lighting?
- can I realistically expect to find a high-quality stone in this shape? or are princess cuts better in general?
- what should I look for as far as dimensions, polish, etc.?

Thanks!

P.S.: Any pictures to help me see what you mean would be great!
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no, it's preference.
show me a picture, please
cushion!
depends on what shape you like. Good+ polish is ok.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2007 8:07:03 PM
Author: JulieN
no, it''s preference.
show me a picture, please
cushion!
depends on what shape you like. Good+ polish is ok.
JulieN,

I couldn''t find a real picture that I could "grab" -- but this is what I mean...does the table ever look square, if the light is hitting it at a specific angle?

Hopefully I''m explaining right!

Claudine

CushionDiagram.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't you think that a square table on a rounded stone would look funny?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Claudina,

Yes, my table often looks square in the right light, mostly when the light illuminates just the table, then it looks square (well rectangular since my cushion isn't square). I just posted a ton of pictures of it if you want to see it. Mine is a modern cushion with the same facet pattern as you just posted on top. It's called a "cushion brilliant" and has clear facets and a somewhat chunky look. But is different from the more antiquey looking cushions.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boston Jeff, there is definitely tons of very useful information there, thank you. I will extract what I can from it, but it is a bit overwhelming, so I am still hoping others will try to answer my specific questions. :)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2007 4:25:40 PM
Author: neatfreak
Hi Claudine,

Yes, my table often looks square in the right light, mostly when the light illuminates just the table, then it looks square (well rectangular since my cushion isn''t square). I just posted a ton of pictures of it if you want to see it. Mine is a modern cushion with the same facet pattern as you just posted on top. It''s called a ''cushion brilliant'' and has clear facets and a somewhat chunky look. But is different from the more antiquey looking cushions.
Neatfreak, yes, I want to see the pictures, thanks! Let me know how to find them. There''s so much great information here, but it can get confusing...I am so glad you understood what I meant!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2007 4:21:20 PM
Author: JulieN
Don''t you think that a square table on a rounded stone would look funny?
JulieN,

I think it''s what neatfreak was saying...even though it looks "lobsided" when you look at the stone from above the table looks "square"...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, does anybody know what this cut looks like in real life?

CushionCutEGL.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
To answer your other questions, cushions are fantastic and the look is much more classic and unique than a princess. Good stones can be found in both, you really just need to determine which look you like best because they are very different.

I really like excellent symmetry and polish in cushions like mine. If it is more of an antique cushion I am willing to go down a bit on those requirements because it adds to the charm. But with the modern ones like mine I really think it makes a difference in the look of the stone.

I apologize that none of the pictures show the fire this stone has. It''s been pretty dreary here, but MAN does this thing sparkle when it''s sunny! All my friends have been amazed by what a gorgeous stone it is and it throws off gorgeous rainbows. Much nicer than a princess IMO.

The link to my thread is below. There are more on the second page, and the very last one you can see kind of see the "square" table.

Here is the link

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neatfreak, I had actually found the thread on my own. Your ring is GORGEOUS. I love it. I''m trying to understand what diagram your stone would be. Is it any of these?

Cushion8PointStar.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there an easy way to tell from looking at a stoine what the corresponding "diagram" would be?

CushionButterfly.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 4:55:01 PM
Author: claudinam
Neatfreak, I had actually found the thread on my own. Your ring is GORGEOUS. I love it. I''m trying to understand what diagram your stone would be. Is it any of these?

It''s the first one. Just a plain old cushion brilliant. It''s hard for me to tell what the plot is by just looking at the stone, but others like Jeff or Cehra are much better at it.

My HONEST opinion on it? Do yourself a favor and call a vendor who knows what they''re doing (like Mark at Engagement Rings Direct) and just tell them what you like! If you want one like mine, just send Mark the picture and he will find you a stone just like it I''m sure.

It''s soooooo much easier to just have a vendor look for you once you''re ready to buy. Especially with a cushion.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know there''s more (I found the chart through the links that Boston Jeff gave me), but I''m hoping it''s one of these so I don''t have to keep cropping the pics!

CusthionStar.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neatfreak...I totally agree with you...I guess I am trying to narrow down the options and be as specific as possible so that when the vendor is searching for me they know exactly what I want (so we don''t waste time on looks I don''t like). I think this will also allow me to have an idea of the proportions, etc., to look for, and also a "good/fair" price for the stone.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just to be clear, this is the plot of mine:

picofcertbrillia32nt.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 5:04:10 PM
Neatfreak...I totally agree with you...I guess I am trying to narrow down the options and be as specific as possible so that when the vendor is searching for me they know exactly what I want (so we don''t waste time on looks I don''t like). I think this will also allow me to have an idea of the proportions, etc., to look for, and also a ''good/fair'' price for the stone.

I completely understand. When it was time for us to buy, I just had saved a whole file of cushions I liked and sent them to Mark at ERD. It worked really well because he was easily able to see the kind of stones I liked and why.

Within a week he had found the stone that would become mine! Once I saw it I knew I needed it. He''s really fantastic, so I highly recommend him if you''re looking for a vendor.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boston Jeff,

I just clicked on the SECOND link you included, and it has diagrams with pictures of the REAL stones next to it! That''s awesome, and will really help me...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks neatfreak, I will definitely keep him in mind!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2007 4:56:43 PM
Is there an easy way to tell from looking at a stoine what the corresponding ''diagram'' would be?
This one looks like a princess in a cushion shape.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks JulieN!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results