shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about a diamond from Counselor movie

Rain5

Rough_Rock
Greetings,

I am a amateur to world of diamonds but I am slowly learning. I recently watched the movie Counselor by Ridley Scott. There is a scene where protagonist buys a diamond and the diamond dealer goes over 4C of that specific diamond. A term "cautionary diamond" is used. A bit of Google lead me to this page ( https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/89376/what-is-a-cautionary-diamond/97706 ) when searching for that term. Now I am mildly confused in clarity and color and I am begging for help. I have 2 questions.

1. The diamond has a small inclusion, a feather per script. I thought that feather was this in image below: Screenshot (265).png

The person who wrote that answer on site I linked above said the feather is this:
Screenshot (266).png
RNvNM.jpg

So which image shows the feather inclusion?

2. What cut of diamond is this, emerald or something else? I have hard time gauging it purely by pavilion.

Screenshot (267).png

My thanks in advance!

Rain5

Rough_Rock
To add one more, photo which shows various inclusions.

The feather, according to image below, fits more to what I assumed in the very first photo in this thread.

I kindly ask for knowledge.

Screenshot (268).png

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
You were correct. I'm not even sure what they're pointing at. Maaaybe a small natural on the girdle

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The feather or feathers are barely visible, but therefore not of much importance. They are not dangerous looking and appear minor and relatively small. I doubt you need to be concerned about them.

Rain5

Rough_Rock
@musicloveranthony @oldminer

Thank you for replies!

Could you please confirm if I am correct, this is a small feather on the diamond and not the one on the girdle (thought I truly doubt what flaw they saw on girdle). So this, is the small feather in this photo, correct? Screenshot (265).png

Rain5

Rough_Rock
@musicloveranthony @oldminer

Also, if you can spare some time on amateur such as me, would you tell me what shape this diamond is? Emerald, Radiant maybe?

Screenshot (267).png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rain5

Rough_Rock
@kenny @musicloveranthony

My deepest thanks. I have one final question.

This is probably a bit more complicated. The person who wrote the comment here ( https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/89376/what-is-a-cautionary-diamond/97706 ) said this "[Note: As you can see from the chart in the link a yellow color noticed by a novice probably isn't an "H", more likely a "K", at least]".

The script of movie says H color, he says that it is K or lower. I will put some photos of the diamond, what color do you think it is?

Screenshot (260).png Screenshot (262).png

Rain5

Rough_Rock
The feather or feathers are barely visible, but therefore not of much importance. They are not dangerous looking and appear minor and relatively small. I doubt you need to be concerned about them.

Sir, could I trouble you to confirm two things for me please. So the small feather inclusion is on this photo, not on the girdle of the diamond as one individual suggests.

1. There is no flaw in girdle in images I posted above, am I correct or wrong?

2. So this photo below is correct in that it shows small feather inclusion?

Screenshot (265).png

Rain5

Rough_Rock
@oldminer

I apologize in advance but your answer would have immense help to me!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny @musicloveranthony

My deepest thanks. I have one final question.

This is probably a bit more complicated. The person who wrote the comment here ( https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/89376/what-is-a-cautionary-diamond/97706 ) said this "[Note: As you can see from the chart in the link a yellow color noticed by a novice probably isn't an "H", more likely a "K", at least]".

The script of movie says H color, he says that it is K or lower. I will put some photos of the diamond, what color do you think it is?

Screenshot (260).png Screenshot (262).png

It's a movie, so I think it's probably a CZ, so I think it's most likely to be completely colorless. Any tint is likely a result of set lighting or post-processing color grading. You can tell that the images are highly color graded just by looking at them.

I also think since it's a fictional movie the magnified images don't really mean much of anything.

Rain5

Rough_Rock
@distracts

My deep thanks!

Could you give me your opinion, is the feather inclusion on girdle or on pavilion or both?

Here is where I think the small feather inclusion is:
Screenshot (265).png
One other guy see the feather inclusion on the girdle:
RNvNM.jpg

Which one is correct?

Rain5

Rough_Rock
He claims the small feather inclusion is this: Screenshot (266).png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@distracts

My deep thanks!

Could you give me your opinion, is the feather inclusion on girdle or on pavilion or both?

Here is where I think the small feather inclusion is:
Screenshot (265).png
One other guy see the feather inclusion on the girdle:
RNvNM.jpg

Which one is correct?

My opinion is that there's no feather inclusion present. I don't see anything. This is magnified like a million times. If there was anything that counted as an inclusion, it would be VERY visible. This is just a movie picture someone is zooming in on, not a real diamond. That bottom thing is just a facet reflection on the corner. I would not try to learn about diamonds from a fictional movie.

Rain5

Rough_Rock
@distracts

You think the diamonds are in fact, cubic zirconia? Possible, though given the budget of movie and some other info, I think they used actual diamonds.

Also, I agree that bottom thing is a faced reflection of the corner of girdle but I do believe this is a genuine feather inclusion: Screenshot (265).png

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
There is a feather or a dust particle that resembles a feather. His arrow is pointing to it.

But yeah - I wouldn't take anything the movie said about that stone as any sort of accurate description of anything.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@distracts

You think the diamonds are in fact, cubic zirconia? Possible, though given the budget of movie and some other info, I think they used actual diamonds.

Also, I agree that bottom thing is a faced reflection of the corner of girdle but I do believe this is a genuine feather inclusion: Screenshot (265).png

Yes, I think they are likely cubic zirconia. Many movies use CZ, paste, etc in the place of real diamonds.

For another thing, the magnified images and the unmagnified images appear to show different stones. You can see the facet edges on the magnified images are much, much neater than they are on the unmagnified ones, and while I'm not sure I think they are also different shapes of diamonds.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt it's a real diamond and agree that trying to learn more about a stone from a movie isnt a great use of time

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results