shape
carat
color
clarity

Question re: princess cut and colour

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SG

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''ve found this site really helpful and am close to making a purchasing decision on a princess cut diamond.

Some posts I''ve read have indicated that it''s preferable to have depth and table percentages of less than 75%, with the table % being a few points lower than the depth. However at Blue Nile, their "signature" princess cuts all have table percentages that are roughly 7% higher than the depth% (opposite to everything I''ve learned). Can anyone explain why this is?

Also, in terms of colour, am I wasting my time in considering a .76 VS1 I colour diamond? I''ve learned that you have to see it to judge the colour for yourself, but I''m buying on-line and won''t be able to see it until I receive it.

Here are the specs:

Carat: .76
Cut: VG
Colour: I
Clarity: VS1
Depth%: 68.8%
Table %: 66%
Sym: VG
Pol: Exc
Girdle: thin to med.
Culet: none
Fluor: faint
L/W ratio: 1.00
Meas: 5.12x5.12x3.52

I''ll be getting the Sarin report today to determine the crown height.

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Re: the table being "a few points lower than depth"....I agree that this is a maybe an ok rule of thumb when buying blind online,but there is no one set rule. It's the combo of the crown and pavillion angles that is key as per J at GOG.

As per the "I" color...you will have to see it. A good cut an mask some color but we each have our own tolerance levels. I would perhaps go to an H Vs2, but that's just me. Anyhoo...it sounds like it could be a nice stone!
1.gif

SG

Rough_Rock
Thanks moremoremore.

One other thing I didn't mention...this stone will be a solitaire set in yellow gold, probably with platinum prongs. Does this have any positive/negative effect on the colour of my stone, i.e. is the very faint yellowness of an I-coloured stone negated by the yellow gold it's set in?

Thanks,

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I personally think that yellow gold hides color...b/c if the stone were to have any slight tint...I would say...Oh, that's b/c it's reflecting the yellow gold setting!
2.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I agree w MMM on both counts - that stone has great potential & 'they' do say that I/Js should look better in yellow gold than white or platinum, altho i think I/Js look great in either!
1.gif

JC

Shiny_Rock
I think that you have selected a great diamond. A table of 66% should give that diamond a lot of sparkle. I have been told that the smaller the table percentage the more sparkle the diamond will possess. So if that's true, than a larger table could take away from the sparkle or beauty of the diamond. MMM gave some good advice as well. It seems like a good choice though. Good luck....

wavey.gif

SG

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys.

I'm still a little concerned about the colour...

Here's another diamond I'm considering:

CW: .81
Cut: VG
Colour: G
Clarity SI1
Depth%: 75
Table% 67
Sym: VG
Pol: VG
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluor:
Meas: 5.07x5.04x3.78
L/W ratio: 1.01

In your opinion, which one on paper looks to have a better chance of showing well? The .76 diamond actually has a bigger LxW, obviously because the .81 diamond has more depth. Is this extra depth dead-weight, or is there an advantage to having slightly more depth within the ideal percentages, in terms of better light refraction etc.?

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
As long as the depth is 75 or less, I've never heard of it being a boon or a detriment, save for the fact that it will appear smaller face-up...

Maybe you could get a sarin on both the stones?

SG

Rough_Rock
Thanks alexah.

So, if both of these diamonds are from the same source and priced within $100 of each other, which would you choose and why??

Thanks-

BTW, I'm a big Brodeur fan, but my Sens should have beat the Devils in game 7 2003... :))

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
my spidey sense is tingeling lol...I have a feeling that the 75 depth and 67 table is going to have a poor crown angle despite its numbers...hmmm....r u getting sarin info? I think the only way to make an informed decision would be to see lightscope results. But if I had to go blind, I'd pick #1.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I should hope you'd be a big Brodeur fan - the only hockey we're going to see this yr was the World Cup - and he helped Canada win it! Of course, I'm assuming you're Canadian - being a Senator fan - and, actually, being a hockey fan, gives you away
2.gif

Again I agree w MMM - i think the 'I' has more potential... it's tough to know for sure w/out crown info tho. Since you're worried about an I, have you seen my J princess? There a pic of it here LINK - I luv I/Js
1.gif

SG

Rough_Rock
Wow alexah, that's a beautiful ring! I'll be happy if my purchase turns out that well!! I'm working on getting the Sarin reports for both rings, but it may take a while...information travels a little slower up here in Canada!

SG

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

Here is the sarin information for the 0.76 carat princess cut diamond:

Shape: PRINCESS (Square)
Weight: 0.76ct

Width: 5.11mm Length: 5.12mm L/W: 1.00
Total Depth: 3.52mm 68.9%
Girdle: 1.6%
Table: 3.36 mm 3.35mm 3.37mm 65.8%
Crown Angle: 24.2 19.8 35.5
Crown Height: 0.48mm 0.47mm 0.49mm 9.4%
Pavillion Angle: 60.7 58.7 61.5
Pavillion Depth: 2.90mm 2.87mm 2.92mm 56.8%

The price is $2597. Comments? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks again,
SG

SG

Rough_Rock
I posted this late last night so I'm just bumping this up a bit... hope to hear from you-

SG

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the compliment on my ring SG
9.gif

Re the last stone you posted, don't know if it's a good deal $-wise, as the color is missing...

The specs are pretty good otherwise - can you take a look at this stone (preferably w an idealscope in hand)? Generally speaking, crown height above 10 is best but 9.4 isn't that far off so it may v well be luvly...
1.gif

SG

Rough_Rock
Sorry, it's an I colour. I'm planning on ordering it on-line (with a 30 day return) and having it appraised when I receive it.

SG

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
USA Certed has a branch in Canada so I'm going to list a few from their virtual inventory for price comparison
1.gif
Prices listed below are w the PS discount.

This .72 I VS1 is $1816.

This .72 H VS2 is $2273.

This .84 I VS1 is $2483.

This .85 I VS1 is $2513.

This .82 H VS1 is $2543.

And this .81 H VS2 for $2543.

SG

Rough_Rock
Thanks alexah, you've really been a big help. I've checked out all these other diamonds, and they all look great except there's no info on the crown height %.

I've decided to go with diamond #1. I ran it through gemappraiser and it scores 1A on all measurements except crown height, and that's a 1b. I could probably save a few bucks going elsewhere, but Blue Nile seems to have their act together for shipping to Canada, and they have a 30-day return policy. Just a bit more of a warm fuzzy feeling with them.

So, I should get the diamond Friday and then I'm off to have it appraised...wish me luck!

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

SG

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Best of luck to you, SG!! I hope your diamond is gorgeous!!
appl.gif

BTW, did you get a $100 discount? I've read that BN is offering PS a discount in Sep w the code: NEWBLUE34

Oh- and I just read that Canada may get some hockey after all?! Lucky bugger!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results