carat
color
clarity

Question re mixed metals - durability

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all!

I recently read a thread here somewhere (cant find it again..!) about it being a bad idea to combine different metals because one can "eat" the other away. I think the thread was mostly about rings, but I have been thinking :Up_to_something: Is it a bad idea to wear a platinum pendant on a 18 k YG band? I mean, is there a risk that one will break..? Or will the "eating of metal" be negligable in this case because it is a pendant?

/aca :wavey:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
*band=chain

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... interesting question. I've done this with a 14k chain and I never noticed any degradation of the chain. But, mine is an occasional wear piece, and the pendant is quite light. I suspect there's not going to be a problem as long as the pendant can move easily on the chain. Maybe someone else will weigh in...

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks VRBeauty!
Yes, I would think the weight matters too, maybe a small solitaire is ok. But maybe letting the pendant move freely / slide on the chain could cause too much friction for say, every day wear and in the long run (a couple of years?)
I have no idea if this really is an issue, the thought had never crossed my mind before I read that thread. I dont own a plat pendant, but I am thinking of getting one for my 18 k (thin) gold chain... I want it for every day wear... :think:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results