shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on colored stones for E ring

MB21

Rough_Rock
Im looking into getting a colored stone ring. I want something different than the plane old diamond. My only problem is i am having a hard time finding something that fits what i want.

Some things I am looking for

1. I would prefer blue or green colored stones
2. I want something that is actually Rare, Not just priced high do to artificial markets ie; Diamonds.
3. It needs to be something that can be worn every day, so im guessing somewhere at or above 7.5 on the Mohs scale, and is not brittle.

I had looked into benitoite, but it is to soft. Also heavily considered Tsavorite but did some reading around here and it seemed like it would not hold up to everyday wear.

Thanks for the help! Any suggestions would be great.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want blue I'd get a cobalt spinel
If you like mint green I'd get a vanadium chrysoberyl
Both rare and you can wear them daily

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colors of the stones I'm talking about. The spinel will be more costly. Both are costly.

sp15-chauvire-fig13-179104-636x358_1356005405606.jpg

67ab24a054214568e0819103d7237efe.jpg

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If a nice cobalt spinel is *too* rare (for either availability or budget) an unheated sapphire might be another option.

What sort of price range are you thinking?

Cognition

Rough_Rock
How about red imperial topaz? taaffeite? pezzottaite? heliodore? alexandrite w/ excellent cc?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cognition|1475592113|4083498 said:
How about red imperial topaz? taaffeite? pezzottaite? heliodore? alexandrite w/ excellent cc?

I was thinking an alexandrite too but my work was how she's feel about a purple to green colorway

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1475588527|4083477 said:
If you want blue I'd get a cobalt spinel
If you like mint green I'd get a vanadium chrysoberyl
Both rare and you can wear them daily
+1. Fits all your requirements.

MissouriRiverSapphireCo

Rough_Rock
Trade
A sapphire would be the most durable option. Fine unheated sapphires in particular are truly rare.

MB21

Rough_Rock
Guess I should have mentioned my budget for the loose stone itself is between $1000-$2000 dollars.

Alexandrite is intriguing and I have considered it before. I'm just worried about making sure it is natural and not synthetic. I am new to this and don't know which online dealers are trustworthy or not. Ive read good things about ajsgems, Africa gems, and multicolor but am not sure. Any others I should know about?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want a lot of size?

MB21

Rough_Rock
Niel|1475604130|4083576 said:
Do you want a lot of size?

Id rather get a nice stone thats smaller than a low quality big stone. The tsavorite i was looking at was around 1 carat for $1200. It seems like if i want natural alexandrite with good clarity and decent color change i will have to go under .5 carats to stay in budget. Im fine with that. i just want to make sure im getting what i want. so i guess im saying size is not a big deal.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What shape were you liking?
What color blues and greens? What about a purple blue or a chartreuse yellow green?
Any other colors?
What metal color did you want to set it in?
What style setting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6 mm at the minimum?

MB21

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking a 3 stone ring with a platinum band. Smaller diamonds on the sides to accent the stone in the middle.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MB21|1475620189|4083672 said:
I'm thinking a 3 stone ring with a platinum band. Smaller diamonds on the sides to accent the stone in the middle.
What shapes? And what is your budget for the setting

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look across the home page at the pics of the October birthstones. Those tmls. are really pretty and fall within the blue-greens you like. I know some can be pricey and I do not know about hardness and durability.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MB21|1475631726|4083725 said:
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax715ae/&930512007

What do you guys think of this stone? From reading up on alexandrite it seems color change is the most important factor. This stone has strong color change, is eye clean, and comes GIA certified.

Thoughts?
Ignore the fact it has a strong color change, do you like the colors in those photos?

My problem with Alexandrite is that often the fact it has color change and is rare overshadows the fact that the colors alone aren't often that attractive.

Sure it's an engagement ring, which is meant to mean something, yes. But more than anything it's an item on your hand meant to be aesthetically pleasing.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you talk about it being rare, do you want it to be uncommon for an engagement ring? Do you want it to be something that doesnt have peice inflation for being popular (think diamonds or blue sapphire's) or do you want something uncommon out of the ground? All of those? Some of those?

MB21

Rough_Rock
Niel|1475632284|4083727 said:
When you talk about it being rare, do you want it to be uncommon for an engagement ring? Do you want it to be something that doesnt have peice inflation for being popular (think diamonds or blue sapphire's) or do you want something uncommon out of the ground? All of those? Some of those?

Mainly uncommon from the ground. This is why I really like benitoite, it is actually rare and I liked the color. Unfortunately I started learning more about gems and found it is much to soft for a E Ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MB21|1475634196|4083734 said:

Mainly uncommon from the ground. This is why I really like benitoite, it is actually rare and I liked the color. Unfortunately I started learning more about gems and found it is much to soft for a E Ring.

Would an unheated ruby be up your ally or is red not your jam?

MB21

Rough_Rock
Niel|1475632019|4083726 said:

What do you guys think of this stone? From reading up on alexandrite it seems color change is the most important factor. This stone has strong color change, is eye clean, and comes GIA certified.

Thoughts?
Ignore the fact it has a strong color change, do you like the colors in those photos?

My problem with Alexandrite is that often the fact it has color change and is rare overshadows the fact that the colors alone aren't often that attractive.

Sure it's an engagement ring, which is meant to mean something, yes. But more than anything it's an item on your hand meant to be aesthetically pleasing.

I do like the bluish green colors that change to purple. The alexandrites that are more lime green and go to pink i dont care for.

MB21

Rough_Rock
Niel|1475635131|4083738 said:
MB21|1475634196|4083734 said:

Would an unheated ruby be up your ally or is red not your jam?

It is for my girlfriend. She prefers blue and green jewelry.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MB21|1475673817|4083822 said:
Niel|1475632019|4083726 said:

Thoughts?

I do like the bluish green colors that change to purple. The alexandrites that are more lime green and go to pink i dont care for.

what im trying to get at is, if the stone looked like this all the time, would you like this color?

j2mayax715ae_m1.jpg

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
What about color change / color shift stones. Here are mine. On the left an unheated color change sapphire and on the right a cobalt bearing spinel. The sapphire is unset now but when it was in a ring I loved to see the shifts between blue and violet. In this quick and dirty photoshoot the top picture is in the supermarket and the bottom pic is outside daylight. My skin looks different colors because that's what it looks like in the different lights. A color change sapphire would be easier to find and I find that they are very reasonably priced compared to pure blue ones

_38401.jpg

MB21

Rough_Rock
Sungura|1475681961|4083862 said:
What about color change / color shift stones. Here are mine. On the left an unheated color change sapphire and on the right a cobalt bearing spinel. The sapphire is unset now but when it was in a ring I loved to see the shifts between blue and violet. In this quick and dirty photoshoot the top picture is in the supermarket and the bottom pic is outside daylight. My skin looks different colors because that's what it looks like in the different lights. A color change sapphire would be easier to find and I find that they are very reasonably priced compared to pure blue ones

probably not, but isnt that a mixed light situation? You might encounter that indoors during the day sometimes but outside it would appear blue/green and inside at night or with little natural light it would look purple/red

MB21

Rough_Rock
Sungura|1475681961|4083862 said:

thanks for the idea

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MB21|1475690585|4083899 said:
probably not, but isnt that a mixed light situation? You might encounter that indoors during the day sometimes but outside it would appear blue/green and inside at night or with little natural light it would look purple/red
If that is the case, you are probably best to stick with a non-colour changer. We are in mixed lighting most of the time, even if we are unaware of it. Alexandrites are notorious for looking muddy most of the time due to the light conditions unless it is a very fine stone and those cost $$$$$.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results