shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about my Tacori

KatyBug513

Rough_Rock
I just recently became engaged, YAY. And my fiance who is a solider currently in Vicenza, Italy where he lives but he has been back from Afghanistan for a few months, which is double YAY, but my fiance got my ring from an authorized Tacori dealer here. It's a half style of 2578RD9, which needed to be sized because it was too big for my itty bitty fingers because I guess he bought one that was there at the store so he wouldn't have to wait (he only had a few days home) till the one ordered from Tacori came.

My questions are, I was never given anything certificates or serial number or anything to register it to Tacori's website. I didn't know that you even could do that till tonight because had I known that, I would have had them resize it. My jeweler gave me no paperwork, I had to ask for the appraisal, etc. Is that right? Or were you all given the serial number and paperwork to authenticate that it was a real Tacori.

Also, I had it sized and when I got it back, I had two of the diamonds missing out of the band and there were nicks on all four posts holding the center diamond in. So, I again, left it with them and when I got it back this time, the diamonds that needed to be replaced don't shine like they should and the one side looks completely messed up, the diamonds don't look to be placed in right, the millgrain is missing from some parts, like, doesn't go all the way around the ring, just stops in places and then starts again. And I'm not talking about going down to where it's just half, I mean up on the top where it should be entirely all the way around.

After reading and scouring Tacori's website, I'm certain that this wasn't something they did, they wouldn't send this out to the jewelers to be sold in this condition I would assume.

My questions are I guess, they said they would fix it or send it to Tacori if they need to, but I'm really untrustworthy now after everything that has happened. I just want my ring to look like it did when I brought it in, the Tacori stamp in the inside doesn't look right anymore, the outside of the ring doesn't look right, the diamonds that were missing don't shine and are flat. What should I do? If I had known I could send the ring to Tacori with the proper paperwork I wasn't given to be sized, I would have and I read online that sometimes even though they trust their authorized dealers to do work on the rings, it can hurt the integrity of the ring and they won't work on it, so now what if they send it to them and they won't do anything to it. It's just not fair, this isn't what my fiance bought me and I'm just really skeptical right now.

Any advice would be amazing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately they apparently sold him one of their sample rings instead of ordering one made for your size finger and your size stone. I would go back and tell them the ring is unacceptable and they need to send it to Tacori to be restored to new or replaced altogether. It's never a good idea to buy the sample ring in the store unless it is your size and the size stone going in it is the same as the cz in the sampler. I'm sorry this happened. We often advise men here to just put the diamond in a temporary solitaire setting until the permanent setting is decided on or ordered.

KatyBug513

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your info! I was aware that they probably sold him a sample, but even when I got this ring and it didn't fit, it didn't look like how it does. After they sized it, and then left diamonds out of the band and nicked it all up, I had to leave it after for them to fix and got it back with millgrain missing and warped on one side with stones out of place and set weird in the band. So, ALL of this is on them,my ring, although a sample, did not look this bad to begin with and if it looked as if when I first brought it in, I'd be FINE with it being a sample, I don't care, but it's ruined in my eyes and I don't see them "fixing" it because they haven't been able to "fix" it yet without messing it up.

What about not having any paperwork? I received nothing to authenticate that it's from Tacori, nothing to register with on their website and had I known that I would have never let them size, I'd had sent it to Tacori to size because as their website says, they like to work on their rings themselves. Even if it had cost me extra, I'd had done it had I been given the option and paperwork.

At this point, I want the band replaced, I want MY size ordered from Tacori with the same color and clarity diamonds my fiance bought with the band and then when they get it, I want them to put my center stone he bought in it and I won't ever have to deal with them again. Because at this rate, they've now had my ring longer than I even had and every time I get it back, it looks worse.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would email Tacori and copy your jeweler explaining what has happened, basically what you have told us here and see what they want you to do. The jeweler should not of sized the sample ring and really should have told your FI it's best to have it made in the correct size. detailed settings like Tacori do not size easily as you no know and really, they need to be aware of what one of their retailers is doing and the quality of work they are sending out with Tacori's name on it. Hopefully both Tacori and your jeweler will do what it takes to make this right.

KatyBug513

Rough_Rock
Well, after reading all of the posts on here from years back, I realize that I just made the worst and most costly decision I've ever made in my entire life by choosing a Tacori ring. I feel like an absolute idiot, no one is willing to help me, Tacori refuses to speak to customers, tells you to talk to the jeweler, my jeweler is not helpful, refusing to replace my band, refusing to take the ring back even though they had it in their possesion for longer than a week and it turned into a nightmare once I got it back and even though he ADMITTED to their jeweler putting a smaller diamond in the ring and that excuse being, "the jeweler put the best diamond he had in there at the time." What the heck kind of reasoning is that?

I don't know what to do at this point, I was never given an option about sending my ring to Tacori to be sized or fixed, from what I've been told, the ring was sized too drastically and messed the integrity of it up which no one was up front and honest with about in the beginning.

I was called on the phone and yelled at to the point that I had to ask him to lower his voice and I was crying my eyes out.

I am at a complete loss of what to do, I should not have to be stuck with a $6,000 broken and messed up ring. It would be fine if ANY of this were my fault, but none of it was. I took it in to get sized, it came back missing diamonds and nicked up, the diamonds were then replaced with smaller than what was supposed to be in the ring and paid for and the millgraining is completely gone and the band is warped in spots. And I'm just stuck with it because it's past the return policy date for me to return it and because I didn't TELL them to send it to Tacori when I wasn't ever given the proper warranty card and paperwork to even know that most the time they like their rings to be sent to them to be worked on.

This has became an absolute nightmare, I've been now without my ring for nearly 3 weeks and without my fiance, because he's in the Army. My life is hard enough and I did not need this at such a special and happy time.

Any advice would be great.

FWIW: I've read about 6 or 7 girls on here who have had the EXACT same stories as mine, down to the part where they now hate their ring and don't feel it's theres and are absolutely sick over this. I would think such a expensive and 'designer' line of jewerly would handle things better than this but they are no better than the jewelers who sell their rings from what I've read on here.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, congratulations on your engagement!

I am so sorry you are having all this trouble with your ring. The only thing I can suggest is to write out a letter addressed to Tacori headquarters (300 West Colorado Street, Glendale, CA 91204) and to your local jeweler who sold you the sample Tacori ring.

Include the chronology of events (the sale, the resizing, the return for more work after resizing, etc.) and copies of all the receipts and work orders, etc. Be very factual. If you happened to take photos at any time, include copies of those. Include specifics about what you are asking for in terms of rectifying the situation.

Request that they respond in writing to your letter within two weeks of receipt. Let them know if the matter isn't resolved to your satisfaction with that time frame, you'll be filing complaints with the Better Business Bureaus for California and whichever state your jeweler is located in, as well as Consumer Complaints with the California State Attorney General's office and the other state's attorney general's office. Mail the letter to both companies and the pay extra fees for Certified, Return Receipt Requested, so you will know for sure they received your letter.

Based on what you posted, I can't imagine Tacori really wants its authorized Tacori retailer (your local jeweler) doing such poor quality resizing and repairs of even its sample rings -- it's Tacori's name on this ring and they do have a certain quality and image to uphold - so I hope the letter will prompt Tacori to step in to ensure your ring is fixed or replaced to your satisfaction. Good luck.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
any chance your FI payed with a credit card? If so, file a dispute and get refunded that way. if you still love the tacori, go to a reputable vendor and have it made in your size. If not, start over and you've found a great place to be able to do that!

If he didn't pay with a CC, then following the advice of continuing to contact tacori is good. File a report with the Jewelers Vigilance Committee and the Better Business Bureau.

I'm so very sorry this has happened and that your Fiance is overseas and not here to help you. But, hang in there b/c there are ways to make this right. I truly believe that. I really think pleading your case to everyone you can at Tacori is going to be your best option. I'm hopeful someone in their corporate office will want to help. Please don't give up!

KatyBug513

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the information.

Currently, we are ONLY doing any further talking via writing, because I was called by the manager of the store from his personal cell phone the other day and YELLED at me on the phone and he barely let me get a word in as I was crying my eyes out. I shouldn't have to be treated like this when I am a customer and did nothing wrong in this situation. I won't be spoken to like that ever again by him, so I'm no longer going to answer the phone if he calls, he can leave me voice mails and be mean but I'm not answering the phone.

My FI didn't buy the ring with his credit card, he put the down payment on the ring with his credit card and then had a loan taken out with their financing which they happen to use Wells Fargo, so he has a loan out. His step Dad has called the financing company and figured out what we would have to do to return it and they could credit the money back to my FI and send him a check for what he's already paid and wipe the loan off the credit report but that's only if the jewelers ACCEPTS the ring back.

I feel as if they aren't going to because they kept telling me, "Why would we order you a new band when you have a brand new one?" but then contradicts himself and says, "We can't do anything withy our band, it's used, we can't sell it." Yeah, it's USED because you guys USED it. I hardly had the time to use it!

Nothing there is on the up and up, they don't keep track of their work orders or put anything in their system about when people leave rings, I got ONE claim check when I dropped it off to be sized but then when I picked it up and was missing diamonds and left it there AGAIN on the same day as I went to pick it up, I wasn't given another work order.

I have receipts of the ring and that's it, they gave me NO warranty information, none of the Tacori information, etc. The salesperson told my FI there was a one year warranty through the store on the ring and that was a lie,the manager said there's a 'limited warranty' on the ring.

I don't want another Tacori ring, after reading all of these horror stories of girls always having to have the ring worked on and it always comes back looking bad because the rings are too delicate, etc. I don't want to have to deal with that the rest of my life, this is a ring I'm going to be wearing EVERY day, it needs to be durable enough to hold up to that and from what I read, Tacori's rings are not.

I want to wipe my hands of this situation and these companies.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I have that identical ring, except its the full band.

Everyone has already suggested what I would think is the best way to go about the situation...

It does sound like it was a sample ring.

I have had my ring worked on and I have a few other friends who own Tacori's and none of us have ever run into this sort of issue...the ONLY thing I had done by an outside source is having the diamond set. That's it. Some of their rings are delicate and really need to be sent TO Tacori and nobody else.

Also, I'm not trying to sound mean or anything but why in the world would FI walk out of the store after making a purchase like that without any paperwork or any other kind of documentation?

I don't think this has anything to do with TACORI as a company, but more so negligence on both the jeweler and your FI in several ways. Again, I'm not trying to be rude. I just think it is strange to not have thought about paperwork prior to walking out of that store after the purchase? :confused: Maybe I'm missing something here?

I'm sorry about your experience and I really hope it gets rectified.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1296264887|2836221 said:
Also, I'm not trying to sound mean or anything but why in the world would FI walk out of the store after making a purchase like that without any paperwork or any other kind of documentation?

I don't think this has anything to do with TACORI as a company, but more so negligence on both the jeweler and your FI in several ways. Again, I'm not trying to be rude. I just think it is strange to not have thought about paperwork prior to walking out of that store after the purchase? :confused:

Autumnnovember, I'm not OP or her FI but I am guessing that the documentation was not presented to him along with the receipt and the ring at the time of purchase, and he was not aware that warranties and serial numbers and certificates of authenticity might be included in this type of purchase. I myself wouldn't consider the FI to be negligent in any way, just inexperienced perhaps.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1296266074|2836241 said:
Autumnovember|1296264887|2836221 said:

I don't think this has anything to do with TACORI as a company, but more so negligence on both the jeweler and your FI in several ways. Again, I'm not trying to be rude. I just think it is strange to not have thought about paperwork prior to walking out of that store after the purchase? :confused:

Autumnnovember, I'm not OP or her FI but I am guessing that the documentation was not presented to him along with the receipt and the ring at the time of purchase, and he was not aware that warranties and serial numbers and certificates of authenticity might be included in this type of purchase. I myself wouldn't consider the FI to be negligent in any way, just inexperienced perhaps.

Better wording, thank you. Inexperienced is a better way to describe it. Apologies!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Years ago, when Tacori's popularity exploded they did seem to have some quality issues. I do believe they did what they could to correct the problems and in general now make a nice quality ring. many gals have gotten tacori rings since and don't have problems. They may have lost a tiny stone or something but that can happen with any pave ring.

I understand wanting to be done with the whole thing and wanting a refund and I really hope you can get the jeweler to do that, although I think based on their attitude so far, it's not very likely. I think you have to demand a refund from them at this point. They are unwilling to work with you by being willing to have the ring remade so tell them it's not your problem they'll be stuck with the ring. If they would have done the right thing from the beginning you'd be a happy customer rather than upset with an unwearable ring. so this really is all their fault. I'd have your fiance at least dispute the deposit he made on the CC so you can at least get that money back! I do think you have a good chance of getting Tacori to at least remake it in your size but you're going to have to get tough. Tacori really does need to know what this jeweler is doing b/c it's giving them a bad name.

tacori's headquarter's # in CA- (818) 863-1536...Call them and start working your way up the ladder to get this resolved to your satisfaction! Keep asking for supervisors or managers if the first one's to answer aren't helpful. there has got to be someone there who will side with you and will understand that your Jeweler has made a mess.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Katy, first of all, I just want to say how sorry I am that you are having a bad experience. I just wanted to relate my experience with Tacori and tell you why I agree with the point that it is the retailer who is at fault.

I have the HT2352 1/2X wedding set in platinum. I found it in the case at my local jewelers (in other words, it was not ordered custom for my Jubilee-cut diamond). The basket was designed for a princess so it would work fine. The "sample" as I'll call it was a size 6.5 and I needed a size 5. My jeweler said that he was allowed to set the stone himself but due to the crescents on the bands, the rings would have to be sent to Tacori to be re-sized so as not to void the warranty. He then called Tacori to ask their advice and they told him that due to the crescent styling of the bands that all they could do was size the rings down to 5.5 and put sizing beads inside to make up the half-size difference. I was fine with all of this. Tacori did the work and the rings look great. In fact, I later bought a Tacori white gold setting (HT2510 1/2 X with princess-cut diamonds) from the same jeweler to set my sapphire in and he was able to size it himself and still leave the ring undamaged and the Tacori name intact on the inside of the band.

I have been wearing my wedding set now for 3 years and I still take it back twice a year to be cleaned and checked by the jeweler. It still looks like it did the day I took it home. I did request and receive Authenticity cards from Tacori which my jeweler then passed on to me. It sounds like what your jeweler did was attempt to do work that Tacori should have done, thus voiding any warranty. It would have been up to the jeweler to send it to them. The bad part is that you would have no way of knowing what should have happened to keep the Tacori warranty intact. That was your jeweler's job. I can't tell you what to do, but if it were me, I would return the ring and demand a refund. You spent way too much to have a ring that had substandard work done to it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the previous posts. If none of that works, then see a lawyer and have them write a letter to the jeweler demanding that he either take back or have Tacori replace the ring due to his voiding the warranty on the ring by working on it himself. He probably does not want a lawsuit. So I would absolutely do everything I could to force him to do the right thing.

KatyBug513

Rough_Rock
Speaking to the poster who asked why my FI left without warranty paperwork, because he shouldn't have had to ask for such paperwork. If they have a warranty within their store and are sent authenticity cards and warranty cards for every Tacori ring that they receive to sell, that should be given up front without needing to ask. That being said, I realize, some guys are more experienced with buying jewelry and more experienced with making such a expensive purchase and would make sure they were given EVERYTHING they were supposed to before leaving the store. MY FI isn't. This was probably, aside from his truck, the most expensive thing he's ever bought, not to mention, he just spent the last year in Afghanistan, so dealing with things like this, isn't something he's used to. If a jeweler is working under the terms that every person that walks in there should know and ask for what paperwork they should be given when buying a ring, they are working to screw people. Because I know, as well as the next person, that guys typically for the most part, don't know what they're doing in a jewelry store.

That being said, I can't fault him at all. He had no idea and actually, I had no idea until looking at Tacori's website that I was supposed to receive a authenticity card and warranty card from Tacori and after speaking with the manager he tells me that what the woman who sold my FI the ring was wrong, she said there was a 'one year warranty' on the ring within the store itself and she completely misinformed him. Everything has been a mess, the people that work there obviously aren't informed well enough, his excuse for my FI not being given proper paperwork was because they were 'busy' and he could request that paperwork for me, too late, I don't want the paperwork. I want a new ring or I want a refund on my ring because I shouldn't have to SETTLE for a ring that has been now worked on THREE times in THREE weeks because of there mishandling of it. It was a brand new ring, regardless of it being a sample, it was still brand new, just because a few girls may have came in and put it on their finger doesn't mean it isn't new or caused millgraining to come off, or for diamonds to fall out and be given to me missing diamonds, or to be given BACK to me with SMALLER diamonds that the manager admitted to. That's called theft, and his excuse for that was, "it was what our jeweler felt was the best we had to put in there at the time." I feel like this is the twilight zone, so if I was a surgeon, could I tell the person I just did heart surgery on that the surgery went well, but I kind of just did the best I could at the time? I don't think so. For $6000 I shouldn't have to just 'deal' with what they're trying to put on me.

I have asked for a refund, the ring has been in their possession longer than mine at this point. It is a few days past their 'return' policy dates but considering they've had the ring during those 30 days and ruined it, I think that policy is void. I sent a certified letter to the owner of the store explaining my side of the story, because at this point, I can't trust that he even knows what's going on or has been told, and said that I consider the ring returned and would like them to accept it as returned so that my FI can contact the financing company and they can refund him the money he's paid in full on the ring thus far, which is only one payment and a down payment.

I think it's funny how he keeps telling me, "What would we do with your ring, it's a used ring." But when he tells me why they can't order me a new one, he says, "Well, we can't order you a new ring, yours is BRAND NEW, why would we order another new one?" It's not BRAND NEW, you USED it, and for the same reasons you don't want it in your store are the reasons I don't want it on my finger. It is NOT what my FI paid for or was promised and to do this to me is one thing, but to do this to my FI who is active duty military, makes me sick.

We'll see what comes of this letter, it was sent certified mail with a read receipt, so, I will get the return receipt of who ever signed for the letter and if no one responds to it or calls me, then we'll go from there. If someone does call me, I hope it is the owner and not the manager of the store calling me from his CELL PHONE in his CAR like he did last time, YELLING at me and being abrasive towards me.

I have tried to keep lawyers out of this as long as possible and tried to give them every option I could think of to make this situation right and make me, the customer happy, but I work for a law firm so it's going to be REALLY easy for me to go that route and cost me nothing.

KatyBug513

Rough_Rock
mrssalvo|1296309070|2836455 said:
Years ago, when Tacori's popularity exploded they did seem to have some quality issues. I do believe they did what they could to correct the problems and in general now make a nice quality ring. many gals have gotten tacori rings since and don't have problems. They may have lost a tiny stone or something but that can happen with any pave ring.

I understand wanting to be done with the whole thing and wanting a refund and I really hope you can get the jeweler to do that, although I think based on their attitude so far, it's not very likely. I think you have to demand a refund from them at this point. They are unwilling to work with you by being willing to have the ring remade so tell them it's not your problem they'll be stuck with the ring. If they would have done the right thing from the beginning you'd be a happy customer rather than upset with an unwearable ring. so this really is all their fault. I'd have your fiance at least dispute the deposit he made on the CC so you can at least get that money back! I do think you have a good chance of getting Tacori to at least remake it in your size but you're going to have to get tough. Tacori really does need to know what this jeweler is doing b/c it's giving them a bad name.

tacori's headquarter's # in CA- (818) 863-1536...Call them and start working your way up the ladder to get this resolved to your satisfaction! Keep asking for supervisors or managers if the first one's to answer aren't helpful. there has got to be someone there who will side with you and will understand that your Jeweler has made a mess.

I have tried to call the customer service number that another authorized Tacori dealer gave me, it's different than the one you just put up there. When I called that number that the other authorized dealer gave me, they refused to speak to customers and told me I needed to handle it with my jeweler or go to another Tacori authorized jeweler.

I can try and call that number that you listed above, but for right now, I just really want them to consider the ring returned and to refund my FI the money he has paid on the ring because I don't want the ring and I don't want a new one because I don't want to have to deal with this jeweler anymore. Our relationship is never going to be a good one and I can't trust them at all anymore.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Katy, you did the right thing. They are giving you guys the run around hoping you will go away. I hope you pursue all the way to small claims court if that's what it takes. All their B.S. about the one-year warranty is just that, B.S.

With regards to what they are going to do with the ring if you return it, well that is not your problem. They can chalk it up to the cost of doing business. Obviously they are not very experienced at that.

You deserve to get your money back and re-purchase your ring from a reputable dealer. I looked up your style and that is a very pretty one!I can assure you that it is possible to be happy with a Tacori ring. I'm sorry you had to go through this.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really do hope the jeweler will do the right thing and have the ring remade or refund you! I also hope you can find someone at Tacori to talk to b/c this jeweler needs to be reported to them. I would hope that they care enough about their product to intervene. I really hope you don't have to get into litigation but wouldn't hesitate to use it if you can and easily at that!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully once the owner hears how you have been treated, there may be some job openings at that store!

How absolutely perfect that you work for a law firm! I'd somehow let that slip if I had further contact with the owner!

KatyBug513

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! It feels good to know that I'm not insane in thinking that I deserve better treatment than what I've been given thus far. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone, to me it seems pretty easy and cut and dry that they would chalk up their losses for what they've done and do what I want to make me happy, which is just to return the ring and given our money back, but they seem to not agree.

Like I said, I sent a certified letter to the owner with a read receipt, I received the read receipt back signed that it was delivered on Saturday 1/29/2011. It is now, as you see, 2/3/2011 and no one has called me or even wrote me back. I don't know if they think I'm just going to forget about what happened and they're going to keep my ring or what but I'm not, lol. If they don't call me or write me before my mom returns from her cruise this coming Monday, then I'm going to call them and ask to speak to the owner to see that he received my letter or not and what if anything he says, after that, if they aren't willing to accept what I want, then I guess we head to court but I'm not going to just roll over and accept a ruined ring. I've been engaged now for almost a month and I got to wear my ring for a week :(

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for updating us! Please do keep us posted and let us know if we can help in anyway!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KatyBug513|1296766557|2842123 said:
If they don't call me or write me before my mom returns from her cruise this coming Monday, then I'm going to call them and ask to speak to the owner to see that he received my letter or not and what if anything he says, after that, if they aren't willing to accept what I want, then I guess we head to court but I'm not going to just roll over and accept a ruined ring. I've been engaged now for almost a month and I got to wear my ring for a week :(

Good for you, keep pursuing this! Don't give in to them.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. :blackeye: Congrats on your engagement though!

Virtuousmeg

Rough_Rock
After reading this, I'm going to explain to my boyfriend these terms so that we have a good buying experience with Tacori, because I don't want this to happen. I checked the report of the jeweler I plan to purchase through at BBB.org and found it was clean... so I was wondering if I've conveyed all of this information correctly.

1. Having the tacori ring SIZED by the jeweler and not tacori can void the warranty if the ring is damaged or stone is swapped? So it should be custom ordered via tacori from the jeweler IN MY SIZE??
2. Does this mean if we purchase the stone via the jeweler that they should send it to tacori to have it set in the custom ring, or is it safe to have the stone set by the jeweler and not tacori?

Any help would be appreciated, just trying to gain knowledge so I can gain experience on shopping.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Virtuousmeg|1296857487|2843306 said:
After reading this, I'm going to explain to my boyfriend these terms so that we have a good buying experience with Tacori, because I don't want this to happen. I checked the report of the jeweler I plan to purchase through at BBB.org and found it was clean... so I was wondering if I've conveyed all of this information correctly.

1. Having the tacori ring SIZED by the jeweler and not tacori can void the warranty if the ring is damaged or stone is swapped? So it should be custom ordered via tacori from the jeweler IN MY SIZE??
2. Does this mean if we purchase the stone via the jeweler that they should send it to tacori to have it set in the custom ring, or is it safe to have the stone set by the jeweler and not tacori?

Any help would be appreciated, just trying to gain knowledge so I can gain experience on shopping.

Virtuousmeg, I would have the jeweler send the stone to Tacori and have them make the setting and set the stone. There are just too many stories of local jewelers messing up designer settings trying to size them or set the stones. It's not worth it and it doesn't add anythig to the cost. Pearlmans sends all of their stones to the designers to be set and the settings to be made.

Virtuousmeg

Rough_Rock
mrssalvo|1296857838|2843308 said:

Virtuousmeg, I would have the jeweler send the stone to Tacori and have them make the setting and set the stone. There are just too many stories of local jewelers messing up designer settings trying to size them or set the stones. It's not worth it and it doesn't add anythig to the cost. Pearlmans sends all of their stones to the designers to be set and made.

Would it be my responsibility to handle shipping? I'm completely oblivious to anything dealing with purchasing jewelry, as I have not purchased any, but I am definitely the more organized of my boyfriend and I, so I feel researching, if nothing else, is my duty :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i guess it might depend on the jeweler and I would ask them to be sure. But, the jeweler should handle and cover the cost of shipping to the designer. I think this is usually built into the cost or something the store provides as an business expense.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock

Meg, I will answer your questions based on my experience with Collections Fine Jewelry, where I got my Tacori set from. Each retailer might handle your situation differently.

1) Yes, having the ring sized by the jeweler and not Tacori COULD void the warranty if the ring needs to be sized up or down so much that it damages the pave-d crescents on the band and the jeweler tries to fix it and does a bad job. The ring does not need to be custom ordered from Tacori in your size, unless you require extreme sizing that cannot be handled as my situation was, where Tacori sized the ring from a 6.5 to a 5.5 and put sizing beads in to take the rings to size 5. Had I needed a size 4 for example, I'm pretty sure that Tacori and my retailer would have made a joint decision to order me a custom size.

I want to point out that on my second Tacori, the white gold HT2510, the sample ring was a size 6 and I only needed to go down to a 5.5 because it was going to be worn on my right hand. Since that was such a small increment, my jeweler did it himself with no problems and that ring also has a crescent band.

2) The stone can be set by the jeweler and not void the warranty, provided the basket will accommodate the stone with no alteration. It is when the jeweler starts messing with the basket that Tacori would have a problem with it. Luckily both of my stones could be set with no alterations. Tacori rings come with different basket sizes; I believe they call the smaller ones "petite" or something like that. It insures that you get the proper proportioned head for your stone with the style remaining the same.

If you want a Tacori ring, talk to your jeweler and make sure that he knows that whatever you need done to the ring you want done "above board" so that the warranty stays intact. Tell him it's important to you that he communicate with Tacori regarding what he can do and what he should let them do so that you don't have any mishaps with regards to sizing and stone setting.

ETA - You should not have to worry about shipping anything to Tacori. That is part of your jeweler's duties as an "authorized dealer." The sentiment I'm trying to convey is - Whether you can buy a Tacori straight out the case like I did is a case-by-case matter. When in doubt, have the jeweler contact Tacori and make it clear that you don't want any work done that would void the warranty.

Hope that helps!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meg: I honestly feel that if you are paying the price for a designer setting, that stone needs to be sent to the designer so that the ring can be made to the exact size for your finger in the first place and so the head can be made to fit the stone. The only way I'd buy a sample ring at full price is if my ring size and stone size were exactly the same as the sample. Now if the sample ring was being sold half price or something, then that is a different matter and a lot would depend on how close it was to fitting as well as the style of the ring.

Virtuousmeg

Rough_Rock
NeverEndingUpgrade:

Thanks, that definitely helped in clarifying my concerns. I believe I'm a size 4.5 so I would definitely need to be sized via tacori. Are sizing beads comfortable in case I have to get them? I've actually never even heard of them??!

And as for the stone being set, I believe there are different versions of the 2620 because the halo would have to be proportionate to fit the various stone sizes, so I think once tacori knows the size of my stone (via the jeweler) that they would send the correct ring accordingly. (I hope!)

This is a lot stressful than I thought it'd be, and shoot, I'm not even purchasing this ring.. EEK!

Diamond Seeker2006: I feel the same way, I just don't trust anyone now a days. The only thing I'm concerned with is the fact that my boyfriend will need some kind of financing to purchase this ring, otherwise he'd just buy it straight off the tacori website and not through a jeweler. But since we need financing, and the tacori rings on the website are only listed price wise without the center stone, we'll need to find a stone probably within the jewelers inventory so that we can order the tacori through them and have the stone/ring financed as well.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Virtuousmeg|1296875572|2843596 said:
NeverEndingUpgrade:

Thanks, that definitely helped in clarifying my concerns. I believe I'm a size 4.5 so I would definitely need to be sized via tacori. Are sizing beads comfortable in case I have to get them? I've actually never even heard of them??!

And as for the stone being set, I believe there are different versions of the 2620 because the halo would have to be proportionate to fit the various stone sizes, so I think once tacori knows the size of my stone (via the jeweler) that they would send the correct ring accordingly. (I hope!)

This is a lot stressful than I thought it'd be, and shoot, I'm not even purchasing this ring.. EEK!

Diamond Seeker2006: I feel the same way, I just don't trust anyone now a days. The only thing I'm concerned with is the fact that my boyfriend will need some kind of financing to purchase this ring, otherwise he'd just buy it straight off the tacori website and not through a jeweler. But since we need financing, and the tacori rings on the website are only listed price wise without the center stone, we'll need to find a stone probably within the jewelers inventory so that we can order the tacori through them and have the stone/ring financed as well.

Hi again Meg,

1) I find sizing beads very comfortable, I don't even know they are there. But mine are very small only taking the rings from a 5.5 to 5.

2) Yes, the 2620 has to be made to the stone because of the halo. Keep in mind that a lot of Tacoris are going to be sent to the stores with standard size baskets. For example, you will find a lot of settings in stock made for a 6.5 mm round, which is a standard 1 ct. size. My wedding set was designed for a princess cut, that is why my Jubilee fit perfectly. My right hand ring was designed for a princess cut also, but my emerald-cut sapphire fit perfectly. I guess I lucked out! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ec-sapphire-set-into-tacori-wg-2510pr.141368/

3) I understand about this process being stressful. You are spending a lot of money and then you hear stories like the one in this thread. I myself have been stuck with some "Frankenstein" rings that I could not wear. When I bought my first Tacori, it was for my 15th anniversary, so it was a lot less stressful than it being my first ring plus I was blessed to find Collections. They have been great.

4) You can't buy straight from the Tacori website. You have to use an authorized dealer. My jeweler let me pay off the rings over time in a layaway type situation.

5) You don't have to buy the stone from the retailer you are buying the rings from. I bought my Jubilee diamond from Good Old Gold, and the sapphire I set into the second Tacori was purchased on Ebay. The retailer WOULD have to have the stone in hand to order the proper ring. Purchasing both stone and settings from them could be the easiest way to go provided they stock well-cut diamonds. I found that the advantage to buying a setting that was in stock was simply that I could try it on first. My e-ring is not even shown on the Tacori website, so seeing it in the case was the only way I was going to become aware of the style. Plus I found that styles I saw online did not necessarily look good on me in person.

Lots of luck with your stone and setting search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results