shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about gold ring.. Gold plated silver?

Emiiilyt

Rough_Rock
Hello!

Long time lurker (used the forum a lot to help design my engagement ring!! Thanks!) first time poster!

I was given a bunch of jewelry from my grandmother and my father has always been fond of this ring (even though it's missing a stone) and was curious about the markings. To my knowledge 925 is silver, right? So this is a gold plated silver ring? Anyone know what the other marking is?

Thanks! IMG_20190929_195158.jpg
IMG_20190929_104617.jpg IMG_20190929_104718.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are correct. 925 is sterling silver, so this ring is gold plated. The other marks are probably the manufacturer. The stones are most likely glass or CZ.

Emiiilyt

Rough_Rock
Thanks!!

My dad told me my grandpa got it for my grandma as a wedding gift. I wasn't expecting much as he would have bought it right after WWII so money would have been tight. Just wanted to learn more.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!!

My dad told me my grandpa got it for my grandma as a wedding gift. I wasn't expecting much as he would have bought it right after WWII so money would have been tight. Just wanted to learn more.
I don't think this ring is that old. The 925 mark wasn't common on jewelry like this till the 1970s.
Prior to that, jewelry would be marked "silver" or "sterling". If the 925 was used it might have said
"925 fine silver" or "925/1000 sterling"

Last edited:

Emiiilyt

Rough_Rock
Hmm my dad must be getting his facts wrong! I'll have to ask him! Thanks again!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
no matter what it is, its still a very pretty ring that belonged to your grandma
if the stones arn't real there are still places on the net (Esty) where you will find people who specialize is restoring costume jewlery
so it would be nice to replace the missing stone especially as your dad is really found of this ring

Emiiilyt

Rough_Rock
Yes! That was exactly my plan, was just curious to know more and was a bit confused by the silver marking!

m51galaxy

Shiny_Rock
"Gold vermeil" is gold plated over sterling silver. It is better than cheap gold plating over base metal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results