shape
carat
color
clarity

Quality of Henri Daussi

Laurasaur25

Rough_Rock
I got engaged last December and my fiance picked out an amazing Henri Daussi cushion cut with halo and pave band. It's exactly what I've been wanting. But I've always thought that the center diamond just didn't look as sparkly as it should. I don't want to sound selfish or anything like that because I know it's an amazing ring. But just from comments he's made here and there I know it was not a cheap ring by any means so it seems like it should be a quality diamond. It's almost like it looks dull and darker than the surrounding stones. In some lights it will get that signature diamond geometric pattern from the facets but it doesn't really most of the time. But I haven't looked at many rings and always told myself that it's because the surrounding stones are so incredibly lively. But reading into Henri Daussi recently has made me wonder. A lot of people say about windowing or that there isn't as much light reflection. From what I've read about windowing, I don't think that's the issue because I can't read text through it or see my skin. I have noticed that if there is something dark on the other side like small fleck caught un the underside you can see that. I really know nothing about diamonds and especially not the shopping process. I've gotten compliments on it plenty so then I wonder if maybe I'm just more sensitive to something like I've heard you can be with the color of stones.

Is this the sort of thing that people don't like about Daussi diamonds? Is this something If I were to speak to our jeweler about it, would it make a difference to get similar cuts/sizes or is this something to expect from this designer? I know I can't go with a different designer because it's a large cut diamond considering carat weight due to how he cuts his diamonds. I don't want to increase the cost to my fiance.

Here's and image of how the center stone is darker:

img_3296.jpg

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Daussi uses their own style of cutting cushions, which some people love, and others don't. Here's a thread that contains pictures of PSers' Henri Daussi rings, maybe you can compare to see if your Daussi looks any darker or duller than the posted Daussi rings:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-daussi-owners-please-post-your-rings.189436/

Also, the thread linked below contains great instructions for how to take good pictures of diamonds, in case you want to post any more pictures of your ring:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-take-good-photos-of-your-diamonds.102989/

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Daussi cushions are shallow, well under 60%.
A too-shallow diamond lets light leak out the bottom instead of being reflected back into the diamond so it can return out the top of the diamond?

Daussi's are great if you just want the largest-looking diamond for the weight and don't care about light performance or brightness.
(or if you want your finger lit up by light that leaked.)

When light strikes a pavilion facet at the angles of a too-shallow diamond it just passes through the material and illuminates your finger, instead of reflecting off the facet, as it would with a well-cut diamond of proper depth range.
Somehow via clever marketing Daussi has made a brand out of this unfortunate quality.
To have good light performance these diamonds should be polished down to become much much lighter diamonds.
BTW allowing light to enter the pavilion is a photographic 'technique' that hides the leakage. :nono:
Well cut diamonds don't need light shined into their pavilions.

Here are listing for several Daussi Cushions.
Depth % is in bold type and was taken from the claims of this vendor since I couldn't find the GIA reports.

42.4% http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-305-antique-looking-cushion--is-it-purple-platinum

53.7% : http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-332-faint-yellow-center-in-daussi-platinum-18kt-yellow-gold

42.8% http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring--201-soft-yellow-daussi-cushion-platinum-ring--learn-the-bs-of-non-gia-reports-r3829

50.9% http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-208ct-daussi-cushion-platinum-double-halo-huge

56.1% http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/three-stone-ring-157ct-brownish-greenish-yellow-daussi-cushion-vs1-diamond-18k-gold-r4110

47.1% http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-202-daussi-cushion--massive-laser-drilled-bargain-platinum-r3640

45% http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-153-kvvs2-gia-daussi-cushion-in-split-shank-halo-r3246

In summary ... Qualtity of Henri Daussi? ... Excellent face up appearance for weight, but poor light performance that is concealed by deceptive lighting techniques during photography.
Perhaps this vendor can direct you to a surgeon who would install tiny LED lights in your finger under the diamond so it will again explode with light, as it does in those pics.

Someone could argue diamond beauty is all opinion, and nothing is absolute, even light performance.
To that I'll just say, McDonald's must serve up the highest quality food in the world. :roll:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Daussi diamonds have their fans and their detractors. Kenny 's humor about LED implants aside, if the light performance is bothering you, there are ways to improve the look somewhat ... I've actually always been faintly puzzled by Daussi not employing them.

I have a very shallow stone, vintage rather than modern, but with some of the same issues: here's my original thread on it; [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/taille-fran%C3%A7aise-grande-or-the-biggest-french-cut.196947/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/taille-fran%C3%A7aise-grande-or-the-biggest-french-cut.196947/..[/URL]. If you go to page 2, I actually made a little "window guard" for mine for days when it bothered me. Similar techniques - closed backs, foiled backs - are a time honored tradition for shallow cuts like rose cuts. It's a potential solution to consider. Alternately, if you wanted a stone with better light performance, you could possibly trade down on other qualities - clarity or color (since I'm assuming you'd want it to face up the same/fit your setting, I'm guessing carat isn't negotiable, and since cut is the problem ... yeah). But the first step should probably be to read the previously recommended thread, check out warmer colors/other cuts online and in person, and then maybe talk to your fella. We're always happy to advise/consult/cheerlead along the way. Welcome to PS, and congratulations on your engagement!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me ask you one question. How often do you clean the ring? Because all diamonds need to be kept really clean to look their best. I soak mine in jewelry cleaner about 3 times a week and then scrub the bottom of the stone with the little brush and then rinse well with hot water. Or you can soak it in hot water with a drop of Dawn, then scrub the bottom of the diamond, and rinse.

I have found that most people don't clean their diamonds very often, and it always helps to do so! I think Daussi cushions are nice chunky cushions and aside from the issues resulting from the shallow cut, they are very pretty rings! I am not sure it would really be worth switching your stone for another Daussi cushion because for one thing, that setting was made to fit that diamond and you are unlikely to find another cushion with the exact same measurements.

I hope that maybe more frequent cleaning will help you love your ring more!

Laurasaur25

Rough_Rock
We're taking it to get cleaned today at the actual jeweler. I'm hoping that's more the issue. But I did notice that it was a little darker when first got it. I was afraid that it wouldn't work well with another stone because they did say that it was made for the center stone.

Do they make small brushes specific for cleaning the underside? I don't know that I could get anything in there just because of the design of it.

This isn't the exact one but it's very similar: http://henridaussi.com/alg/

So you can get to the diamond's underside but it would have to be very small.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1408750222|3737823 said:
Daussi cushions are shallow, well under 60%.
A too-shallow diamond lets light leak out the bottom instead of being reflected back into the diamond so it can return out the top of the diamond?

Daussi's are great if you just want the largest-looking diamond for the weight and don't care about light performance or brightness.
(or if you want your finger lit up by light that leaked.)

When light strikes a pavilion facet at the angles of a too-shallow diamond it just passes through the material and illuminates your finger, instead of reflecting off the facet, as it would with a well-cut diamond of proper depth range.
Somehow via clever marketing Daussi has made a brand out of this unfortunate quality.
To have good light performance these diamonds should be polished down to become much much lighter diamonds.
BTW allowing light to enter the pavilion is a photographic 'technique' that hides the leakage. :nono:
Well cut diamonds don't need light shined into their pavilions.

Here are listing for several Daussi Cushions.
Depth % is in bold type and was taken from the claims of this vendor since I couldn't find the GIA reports.

42.4% http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-305-antique-looking-cushion--is-it-purple-platinum

53.7% : http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-332-faint-yellow-center-in-daussi-platinum-18kt-yellow-gold

42.8% http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring--201-soft-yellow-daussi-cushion-platinum-ring--learn-the-bs-of-non-gia-reports-r3829

50.9% http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-208ct-daussi-cushion-platinum-double-halo-huge

56.1% http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/three-stone-ring-157ct-brownish-greenish-yellow-daussi-cushion-vs1-diamond-18k-gold-r4110

47.1% http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-202-daussi-cushion--massive-laser-drilled-bargain-platinum-r3640

45% http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-153-kvvs2-gia-daussi-cushion-in-split-shank-halo-r3246

In summary ... Qualtity of Henri Daussi? ... Excellent face up appearance for weight, but poor light performance that is concealed by deceptive lighting techniques during photography.
Perhaps this vendor can direct you to a surgeon who would install tiny LED lights in your finger under the diamond so it will again explode with light, as it does in those pics.

Someone could argue diamond beauty is all opinion, and nothing is absolute, even light performance.
To that I'll just say, McDonald's must serve up the highest quality food in the world. :roll:

Hi Laurasaur
It's important to remember that taste plays a heavy role in diamond selection
Fact is that Daussi diamonds have some very vocall detractors on this forum.
Put that together with Kenny's irrational dislike of anything I do and you get an answer like the one above.
Shallow diamonds can be very beautiful.
I'm interested in how I' was supposed to get lights behind the diamonds when they are in a ring on someone's finger.
We do not carry Daussi stones anymore - but only because of problems with the mountings
I still like the stones.
Enjoy your ring!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Laura, I use an artist's paintbrush purchased from a craft store to get into the small spaces of my ring, it works pretty well. I agree with DS that a good cleaning will help brighten up your stone. Diamonds are oil and dust magnets and get dirty very easily. After you clean it, rinse it with rubbing alcohol.

I think some of what you're seeing is also the contrast between the center diamond and the round melee. Those small round stones just perform differently due to cut and will appear brighter just due to optics. I see the same thing with my ring (antique stone and modern cut melee in halo, my profile pic) but it doesn't bother me. I like the additional sparkle the melee provide.

I think your ring is really lovely, and would love to see more pics!

img_5387.jpg

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Laurasaur25|1408747421|3737803 said:
It's almost like it looks dull and darker than the surrounding stones. In some lights it will get that signature diamond geometric pattern from the facets but it doesn't really most of the time.

A cushion won't look as bright as well cut surrounding round brilliants now matter how it is cut. The little round diamonds are very efficient at returning light and in aggregate together will look brighter than the centre most of the time.

Laurasaur25| said:
From what I've read about windowing, I don't think that's the issue because I can't read text through it or see my skin.

Unlike in coloured stones (like topaz, aquamarine etc) It is uncommon to see windowing in diamond due to its high refractive index.

The critical angle for diamond is 24.5 degrees. Which means that unless the pavilion angles are below that angle (or really shallow) you will not see a window unless you tilt your diamond. Even in a typical shallow pavilion diamond like a Daussi you'd have to tilt the diamond over 10 degrees to start seeing a window.

Laurasaur25| said:
I have noticed that if there is something dark on the other side like small fleck caught on the underside you can see that.

That observation is very astute and I'll explain why you are seeing what is underneath your diamond with a ray trace diagram below. Shallow pavilion diamond often gather light from the pavilion or allow light to escape through the sides of the pavilion. The light doesn't pass through the diamond in a straight line instead it bounces around and exits through the sides. You wouldn't necessarily see your finger under the diamond but it does pick up the dark shadows and colors of whatever is below the diamond closer to the girdle. This is a ray trace of a Daussi Cushion showing exactly that phenomenon. In this case if this diamond was in your setting those two rays (38% and 22%) would be reflecting the basket of your setting and would not be capable of being lit from above.

gatherlightfromthepavilion.jpg

Laurasaur25| said:
I know I can't go with a different designer because it's a large cut diamond considering carat weight due to how he cuts his diamonds.

I think you are already very well educated on the tradeoff you made. You got a bigger carat weight and spread, the downside is the tradeoff of less brilliance or life in your diamond.

I think it is important to understand the commercial niche that a Daussi cushion is filling. These diamonds come in cheaper/ct and with greater spread/ct . The tradeoff to receiving the physical size boost is they don't return light as well and they are not as bright or lively to the wearer. A typical diamond (Daussi is not typical) is cut from deeper rough with steeper pavilion angles allowing more light to be seen by its viewer.

Here is an ASET of a Daussi Cushion along with a photograph and pavilion plot, notice the assymetry in the pavilion often a sign of weight conservation.

daussicushionasetpavilion_amp_photo.jpg

The only suggestions I can think of to get more "life" from your diamond is to let more light into the pavilion. Exposing the pavilion and girdle of your diamond is one way to achieve this, but that is probably not practical for the type of setting you have now.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Rockdiamond

Hi Laurasaur
It's important to remember that taste plays a heavy role in diamond selection
Fact is that Daussi diamonds have some very vocall detractors on this forum.
Put that together with Kenny's irrational dislike of anything I do and you get an answer like the one above.
Shallow diamonds can be very beautiful.
I'm interested in how I' was supposed to get lights behind the diamonds when they are in a ring on someone's finger.
We do not carry Daussi stones anymore - but only because of problems with the mountings
I still like the stones.
Enjoy your ring!![/quote]

David...I have never seen a beautiful "pancake diamond" in my life, in any shape... :tongue:

allysssa

Rough_Rock
someone here once posted a beautiful "pancake diamond" - it was an antique and a really odd and unique shape. I really loved it but I love odd old cuts. Can't find the link, though.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it was Yoram - square cushion? I remember that one, too ....

allysssa

Rough_Rock
Hi, that one is interesting but I don't think that's it. I think it was a true antique - had similar characteristics but almost like a table diamond too. Someone was thinking of buying it?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1408826470|3738205 said:
David...I have never seen a beautiful "pancake diamond" in my life, in any shape... :tongue:

A few aspect of this statement are informing to this discussion DF.
A) what you find beautiful may be interesting to some, but many people may not share your ideas, or my ideas.
b) how many "pancake" diamonds have you seen?
c) for that matter, how many Daussi cushions have you seen?

Yoram has cut some amazing diamonds with depths in the 40's- and he's by no means alone.

If you've even seen a trilliant you liked, then you like a "pancake diamond". Horsehead diamonds, as well.
The terms "light performance" has absolutely no bearing on how well a given diamond is cut- rather it describes a preference.
Light return as well. The pictures, to me, accurately represent the fact that Daussi stones return less light. They do so in a way that many will consider an attractive and distinctive manner.
So they return less light. Big deal, people are not buying mirrors.
The stones have a charm that many people love.

Sometimes cutters are accused on PS of being greedy by saving weight on a diamond - which is true, however not in all cases.
In the case of stones in the 40% depth ratio, you're looking at amazing usage of rough that is far less versatile than deeper pieces of rough diamond.

As far as Daussi cushions in particular- DF, even if you've seen a few, it's by no means representative.
There's a wide variety in the stones they cut.
As I mentioned, we no longer carry the line, however we did sell a massive number of the rings for the 5 years we did.
They're popular for a reason- people who choose them generally like them.
There was a low return rate- and people bought them after looking at the pictures Kenny was criticizing.

Laurasaur- to you in particular- there's nothing inherently wrong with a Daussi Cushion- as I mentioned, we have hundreds of clients that love their Daussi stones.

It is very important to try and keep your diamond and ring clean.
Remember to take your ring off before activities that will get it very dirty.
Like applying hand lotion, or making meatballs.
Soak and try a brush.
The back of the rings is generally not all that restrictive, so you can get in there.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Circe|1408753497|3737839 said:
Daussi diamonds have their fans and their detractors. Kenny 's humor about LED implants aside, if the light performance is bothering you, there are ways to improve the look somewhat ... I've actually always been faintly puzzled by Daussi not employing them.

I have a very shallow stone, vintage rather than modern, but with some of the same issues: here's my original thread on it; [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/taille-fran%C3%A7aise-grande-or-the-biggest-french-cut.196947/..']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/taille-fran%C3%A7aise-grande-or-the-biggest-french-cut.196947/....[/URL]. If you go to page 2, I actually made a little "window guard" for mine for days when it bothered me. Similar techniques - closed backs, foiled backs - are a time honored tradition for shallow cuts like rose cuts. It's a potential solution to consider. Alternately, if you wanted a stone with better light performance, you could possibly trade down on other qualities - clarity or color (since I'm assuming you'd want it to face up the same/fit your setting, I'm guessing carat isn't negotiable, and since cut is the problem ... yeah). But the first step should probably be to read the previously recommended thread, check out warmer colors/other cuts online and in person, and then maybe talk to your fella. We're always happy to advise/consult/cheerlead along the way. Welcome to PS, and congratulations on your engagement!
Circe- you're amazing!

I looked at the thread just now- and your "window guard" is a stroke of genius, really.
Personally, I don't like "cupping" the bottom of a diamond, as I feel it takes away life- and makes it impossible to clean.
But you get the best of both worlds with the clever design.
Kudos.

Drop dead French Cut ring as well......

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1408842351|3738310 said:
Dancing Fire|1408826470|3738205 said:

A few aspect of this statement are informing to this discussion DF.

A) what you find beautiful may be interesting to some, but many people may not share your ideas, or my ideas.
b) how many "pancake" diamonds have you seen?
c) for that matter, how many Daussi cushions have you seen?
A...true!
B...just a few and didn't care for any of them.
C...not interested in the shape.

Laurasaur25

Rough_Rock
We got back from getting it cleaned and it did make a huge difference. In some settings I think it still looks darker than the halo but I think that's inevitable for the reasons that PPs have said. I'm definitely going to start cleaning it more often. I was cleaning it some but not with any actual solutions (like dawn, rubbing alcohol afterwards, etc.) and now that I know to use those I definitely will. I think since the entire bottom of the diamond is exposed I'm going to have more trouble with oils and dust getting trapped on the underside.

The paintbrush is an amazing idea! I never would have thought of that and already have some at home.

I was able to take some additional photos. I live in Florida but of course when I was trying to take pictures it was annoyingly gloomy outside. So I wasn't able to get the sparkle that I would have liked. I happened to have some pretty pink flowers on my patio so did a quick "amateur photography" picture. The fiance freaked out at the thought of me putting anywhere near the edge of the patio (can't say I blame him) so the little end table had to do. At least the table was a pretty color! I haven't mastered the focus on my iPhone enough to get a good close up picture of the diamond. It does have the geometrical look a lot more now which is a relief. I'm sure there's a better term for that but like I said, not a diamond expert. Who knows, maybe my fiance held on to it for a little too long after buying it so this is the first time I've seen it properly cleaned :eh:

img_3306.jpg

For anyone wondering, it is a 0.73 center stone, 1.44 ct. total weight. Center stone is G VVS2. I'm not sure about these specs for the halo and pave stones.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks beautiful. :love:

Yes get in the habit of cleaning it often.
My ring gets cleaned every day.
You may also look into other options like a dental water pick, or a steam cleaner.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow it looks beautiful! :appl: You sound pleased, I'm glad - Yep, keep it squeaky clean, diamonds get dirty fast!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Laura, it's amazing what a good cleaning will do for the sparkle factor of a diamond. I also have a Henri Daussi cushion halo. I purchased the ring before finding Pricescope. I know they are not highly regarded on Pricescope and it has really affected the way I feel about my ring. My husband purchased another diamond ring for me about a year later. I alternate wearing a couple different engagement rings. I get the most complements on the Henri Daussi ring. I live in an area where you see halo rings all the times so it can't be because it's a halo. I have had sales assistants at both Neiman's and Nordstrom complement my ring and call others over to see it. I have had more than a few strangers grab my arm to see my ring. It sparkles like crazy in ALL lighting. I have 5 engagement rings and know if I dropped dead tomorrow my 5 nieces (and their moms) would be fighting over this ring, even though I have larger diamonds. One of my nieces has told me she wants me to go with her boyfriend when the time comes to buy her ring. She wants a ring like this one.

Enjoy your ring. It looks beautiful in the picture you posted. :angel:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^Fwiw, I will add to Callie's post - I happen to love the look of Daussi stones, one of my all-time favorite PS rings (and I've seen a lot in 5 years lol) is a 3 stone that the PSer had for sale for a short period of time and I regret not buying it haha! The owner said people would literally grab her hand to get a better look and she got lots of compliments on it. So I hope you are feeling better about your ring, I think it is beautiful!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really looks nice after the cleaning. I'd wear that ring, for sure! :love:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1408983709|3739001 said:
^Fwiw, I will add to Callie's post - I happen to love the look of Daussi stones, one of my all-time favorite PS rings (and I've seen a lot in 5 years lol) is a 3 stone that the PSer had for sale for a short period of time and I regret not buying it haha! The owner said people would literally grab her hand to get a better look and she got lots of compliments on it. So I hope you are feeling better about your ring, I think it is beautiful!

The hand grab, arm grab to see my ring has happened about 4 times in the past few months. One night while out to dinner with my husband the waitress made a big deal about my ring. I honestly get the most complements on this ring.

Sorry for the thread jack Laura.

Laurasaur25

Rough_Rock
It's ok, I appreciate your comments!

It's sort of a random question but until I get some nice diamond cleaner, I figured I could use the Dawn I already have. But I looked and it's the line has the Olay beauty product in it. Does anyone know if this will matter? I may just be being paranoid but I know that lotions and things like that aren't the greatest to use since they lead to a build up. Would I be okay using this kind of Dawn soap?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results