shape
carat
color
clarity

Putting your child on a leash????

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
MOdern parenting seems more intense than previous incarnations of mainstream parent...as a general rule society seems to have a lot higher expectations of mothering and parenting in comparison with earlier generations of parents.

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
I have a child with autism who unpredictably occasionally bolts. No sense of danger or road sense at all. To a casual onlooker he looks like an attractive healthy kid chatting away, thn he runs for it!
I never actually used a lead as he would sit in a stroller (mountain buggy that took 30 kg). When I was able to give him my absolute undivided attention, no other kids, no errands I would hold his hand, but if I had myother child with me, or needed to get on a train, or buy something in the shop etc he stayed in the stroller.
I did get looks from people as to why that perfectly healthy looking 5 year old was still in the stroller, and even comments as to why he wasn't walking, which really made me feel great after days of dealing with a behaviorally disturbed child with little break.

To the posters who commented as to why people take their misbehaving kids out in public sometimes there is little choice. For a long time my son always yelled, if I'd waited til I thought he wouldn't yell at the supermarket I wold never have been able to buy food!

I remember the day an older lady asked me why I didn't leave my son at home when I went to the shops. I asked her if she was volunteering as no one else, including family,would mind him! And could I call her next week to mind him so I could go to the supermarket by myself

I am sure many people who saw my boy out those days judged my parenting as he looks physically normal. Just think before you do that unless you really know the circumstances.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
LaraOnline said:
MOdern parenting seems more intense than previous incarnations of mainstream parent...as a general rule society seems to have a lot higher expectations of mothering and parenting in comparison with earlier generations of parents.

I agree. I think in the past, people were a bit better at MYOB (mind your own business) and a bit less judgemental. :rolleyes:

Why do people even have time to think about/judge others? I never had that kind of time.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
misssoph|1401203955|3680956 said:
I have a child with autism who unpredictably occasionally bolts. No sense of danger or road sense at all. To a casual onlooker he looks like an attractive healthy kid chatting away, thn he runs for it!
I never actually used a lead as he would sit in a stroller (mountain buggy that took 30 kg). When I was able to give him my absolute undivided attention, no other kids, no errands I would hold his hand, but if I had myother child with me, or needed to get on a train, or buy something in the shop etc he stayed in the stroller.
I did get looks from people as to why that perfectly healthy looking 5 year old was still in the stroller, and even comments as to why he wasn't walking, which really made me feel great after days of dealing with a behaviorally disturbed child with little break.

To the posters who commented as to why people take their misbehaving kids out in public sometimes there is little choice. For a long time my son always yelled, if I'd waited til I thought he wouldn't yell at the supermarket I wold never have been able to buy food!

I remember the day an older lady asked me why I didn't leave my son at home when I went to the shops. I asked her if she was volunteering as no one else, including family,would mind him! And could I call her next week to mind him so I could go to the supermarket by myself

I am sure many people who saw my boy out those days judged my parenting as he looks physically normal. Just think before you do that unless you really know the circumstances.

It's difficult bringing up a child with special needs. It's exhausting and the last thing we need is judgemental people telling us what they think we are doing wrong. I've decided to just ignore it and keep on being the best parent I can be :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Reading through all of these responses has made me realize one thing: this is a lose-lose situation. If you post about how you've tried to raise your kids properly, then you're judged and labeled a "sancti-mommy" so for those of you who have posted about certain mommies judging other mommies, it appears as though we are all being judged no matter what we do…..

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I try to raise my kids properly too but sometimes yanno, a kid is not going to listen. And it might happen in public. And it might cause a disruption to someone's bluebird of happiness day. And that's just how it is.

There's never been a child on the face of this earth since the dawn of time who has listened and done everything his parents said and was a perfect child 100% of the time. I'm pretty sure even Jesus acted up now and again. For crying out loud, Jehovah God *HIMSELF* created two perfect people, his first "children", and even THEY couldn't act properly and do what they were told. So don't nobody be blowing smoke up my butt about "I just teach them how to act right".

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1401194130|3680862 said:
When is the last time you heard a kid say please or thank you?

About 20 minutes ago. It's a daily occurrence around here!

Not sure why you seem to be implying that kids are little hellions and only yours were taught to have manners. :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1401209122|3681000 said:
Reading through all of these responses has made me realize one thing: this is a lose-lose situation. If you post about how you've tried to raise your kids properly, then you're judged and labeled a "sancti-mommy" so for those of you who have posted about certain mommies judging other mommies, it appears as though we are all being judged no matter what we do…..

Momhappy, I don't see that we as mothers/parents are losing anything in that you and each of the wonderful moms have done their best in their unique situation to raise their children in accordance with what they believe is the best. I see it as we were answering the question of the OP and trying to help her understand. If she doesn't or won't, that is not anyone's issue but hers. I do feel for what happened to her mother but I also feel sad for all the mothers who were made to feel badly and posted here feeling like they needed to justify and explain how they raised their children correctly. They don't need to do that. They are doing it everyday and they don't need to justify anything to anyone. They owe nothing to anyone except themselves, their children and their families. Kudos to all the moms here whatever your situation and challenges.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think it is all in the delivery. It is one thing to say "this is what I did, it worked for my kid because of that". Saying "this is what works" conveys a different message. "This is what works and doing differently is wrong" is even worse.

Talking about harnesses, for example, there are posters saying "it worked for my kid because he was a bolter" and posters saying "we chose not to use one because it was unnecessary and I was worried about other people, poles, etc". Neither are saying they have the one and true way but explaining their own situations and choices. When people start saying "only neglectful parents use harnesses" or "people who don't use harnesses are endangering their kids, who might bolt", then the judgement starts.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1401210434|3681010 said:
I try to raise my kids properly too but sometimes yanno, a kid is not going to listen. And it might happen in public. And it might cause a disruption to someone's bluebird of happiness day. And that's just how it is.

There's never been a child on the face of this earth since the dawn of time who has listened and done everything his parents said and was a perfect child 100% of the time. I'm pretty sure even Jesus acted up now and again. For crying out loud, Jehovah God *HIMSELF* created two perfect people, his first "children", and even THEY couldn't act properly and do what they were told. So don't nobody be blowing smoke up my butt about "I just teach them how to act right".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was hilarious! And so true.

My son would never listen, my DD always did. They are exactly the same today, all these years later.

Children are ALL different. Some will respond to "just teach them to act right", some will NOT. Simple as that.

If you got the lucky straw and all of your kids listened, it doesn't make you a perfect parent.

And if you have one (or more) that doesn't listen, it doesn't make you a bad parent.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1401210621|3681012 said:
momhappy|1401194130|3680862 said:
When is the last time you heard a kid say please or thank you?

About 20 minutes ago. It's a daily occurrence around here!

Not sure why you seem to be implying that kids are little hellions and only yours were taught to have manners. :wavey:

I haven't implied that at all. You took one, tiny sentence out of a rather lengthy post where I was answering a direct question about whether or not I felt that parents try to teach their kids how to behave (and I was answering based on my experience both as a parent and a former teacher). I have never, ever said that all kids are hellions except for mine. In fact, simply because my children have manners, doesn't mean that we don't have other behavioral issues to deal with. My kids are far from perfect and I am not a perfect parent either - but Ive already stated those things and you chose not to quote those sorts of statements. Instead, you quoted the sentence above and twisted into something it wasn't.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1401210780|3681013 said:

Momhappy, I don't see that we as mothers/parents are losing anything in that you and each of the wonderful moms have done their best in their unique situation to raise their children in accordance with what they believe is the best. I see it as we were answering the question of the OP and trying to help her understand. If she doesn't or won't, that is not anyone's issue but hers. I do feel for what happened to her mother but I also feel sad for all the mothers who were made to feel badly and posted here feeling like they needed to justify and explain how they raised their children correctly. They don't need to do that. They are doing it everyday and they don't need to justify anything to anyone. They owe nothing to anyone except themselves, their children and their families. Kudos to all the moms here whatever your situation and challenges.

I understand what you're saying and I appreciate your response:)

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1401041472|3679766 said:
http://mom.me/parenting/6389-kids-leashes/?ncid=webmail1#!/parenting/6389-kids-leashes/item/11_83-kid-leash/

Have things changed since I was a young mom? I see this more and more at my local malls, and I want to scream. I had 3 children very close in age to each other, and I would never even have considered putting my child on a leash. Yet one woman cannot watch one child.

Maybe it is just me, but I find this very disturbing.

I didn't but as a mom with 3 autistic children I'm not going to judge others that do. You cant tell what's going on with kids from looking at them. And life is exhausting enough without strangers judging.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
misssoph|1401203955|3680956 said:

I could have written your post. I have 3 kids on the spectrum. I have learned to just ignore looks from strangers. Once you don't care about the nasty looks its freeing. When my kids were smaller, and even now sometimes, my house feels/felt like a prison.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I was just going to post that I've read (in a special needs forum that I read asmy son has some special needs, but not any ASD ones) that many parents with childen who have ASDs find a harness very helpful. They've also said how challenging it can be when their children outgrow them physically and how it's one thing to have a 4 year old bolter and another to have a 16 year old 185lbs bolter.

I've never used a harness with my kids (4 and 6). Fortunately, my 6 year old is very easy-going and has always been able to calmly walk besides me, either holding my hand or a piece of my clothing, which freed me up to handle her brother with both hands or at least one hand.

I lost him once when he was a young 3 year old in an amusement park. It was only for 5 minutes but it felt like an eternity and it was honestly the most terrrifying moment of my life. If he was a runner/bolter, I'd do what I had to do to keep him safe.

Neglectful parents will be neglectful whether they have their children on a harness/leash or not. Ruby, what happened to your mom is awful and I as a parent would be mortified and so apologetic if that happened. In my house, we eat out a lot, but my husband and I know to gauge the kids' moods to see if we should forget it or not. If my child has not napped well or is cranky, we won't go- why set yourself up for failure? Having said that, meltdowns that aren't the parents' fault happen and when it happens to other families, I'm just grateful it's not happening to me :))

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Laila619 said:
About 20 minutes ago. It's a daily occurrence around here! Not sure why you seem to be implying that kids are little hellions and only yours were taught to have manners. :wavey:

My one year old says it all the time without being prompted. It's a matter of making it a priority. My kid may not sit still or be quiet for very long, but he does say please and thank you.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
1st to Packrat - thank you. When I read your last sentence, I was laughing so hard, my family thought I finally lost it. Trust me, my husband had to grab me by the back of my blouse to keep me from going over there. But I also knew my mom is very nonconfrontational. She actually hates it when attention is called on her. And with her chronic heart failure, we just wanted to get her out of there and into dry clothes. Even before it happened there was not much I could do. Place was packed as several graduations had just taken place, so we could not move tables. And because she was in a wheel chair, she had to be at the end of the table right by them. I will tell you that in the future, if this happens, we will just get up and leave.

Oh, and the mother barely looked up after wards. Just screamed the childs name over and over until he eventually came back to the table.

And my question is still the same. If your child needs to be on a harness to keep him safe in a parking lot, do you feel the same in the restaurant if he will not stay in his seat. Because it is just as dangerous. He may not get run over, but he could be badly scalded. And I am just not talking about the child who screams. I can tune that out. But an out of control child running around can hurt an elderly person. I am not talking about bad parenting here or beeing inconvenienced, or children will be children. I am talking about dangers to your child and my family every bit as real as them running loose in a parking lot or mall.

And to "mom." thank you. I think we have similar ideas in how we raised our children.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1401201832|3680932 said:
We've bitched about kids in restaurants and on airplanes here like a million times.

Kids exist in the world. Get over it. How many threads do we need about how awful parents are? And what is the purpose? So the OP can pat themselves on the back for doing such a great job parenting? Please.
I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of this community is able to control their children and make wise decisions when it comes to caring for them. But if you really need to congratulate yourself for being a perfect parent why don't you just name the thread "I Was the Best Parent EVER."

LALove and AlJ said it best, imo. Mommy wars, and sancti-mommies. Yuck, no thanks.

If that were true I would have been here long before this, bi**ching and imposing my experiences raising my childen. I have never spoken about my children before in other than a general way. I was never part of the mommy wars. It is the first time I have brought it up because of our experience and the article on aol coming in close proximity. It was just an observation on my part. It was never about superiority but as an older mom, I was just questioning about the new ways of doing things. And it was never about the old vs the new generation. I was merely stating my opinion about something I experienced on Hangout - not even mommy categories. So why the hostility - not once but in two different posts?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy, it sounds like we're in agreement. I'm a teacher too, and I know what you mean.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1401221142|3681146 said:
We've bitched about kids in restaurants and on airplanes here like a million times.

Kids exist in the world. Get over it. How many threads do we need about how awful parents are? And what is the purpose? So the OP can pat themselves on the back for doing such a great job parenting? Please.
I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of this community is able to control their children and make wise decisions when it comes to caring for them. But if you really need to congratulate yourself for being a perfect parent why don't you just name the thread "I Was the Best Parent EVER."

LALove and AlJ said it best, imo. Mommy wars, and sancti-mommies. Yuck, no thanks.

If that were true I would have been here long before this, bi**ching and imposing my experiences raising my childen. I have never spoken about my children before in other than a general way. I was never part of the mommy wars. It is the first time I have brought it up because of our experience and the article on aol coming in close proximity. It was just an observation on my part. It was never about superiority but as an older mom, I was just questioning about the new ways of doing things. And it was never about the old vs the new generation. I was merely stating my opinion about something I experienced on Hangout - not even mommy categories. So why the hostility - not once but in two different posts?

Ruby, here is your original post that I have been responding/reacting to:

"Have things changed since I was a young mom? I see this more and more at my local malls, and I want to scream. I had 3 children very close in age to each other, and I would never even have considered putting my child on a leash. Yet one woman cannot watch one child.

Maybe it is just me, but I find this very disturbing."

You say you want to SCREAM when you see kids on leashes. You say you would never have done so with your 3 children and yet one woman cannot watch one child. You say you find it VERY DISTURBING. --This is how it comes across to me. It is not hostility with which I am responding. It is with exasperation. You make it very clear that you would never have used a leash on your children and you don't understand why mothers are using them and seemingly ignoring their kids. You then bring up a story about an unleashed child in a restaurant who caused harm to your mother. Irony, much?

And yes, why would you post this unless you want people to reply in agreement, and tsk tsk, what has the world come to with these awful mothers putting leashes on their children while they dare to shop and carry on a phone conversation. Was there a different point? Because I didn't get one. Obviously you are free to post what you want within the terms of use of the site. But along with that you will find others may disagree with you. I will leave the thread now because I do not want to make you feel personally attacked. But please know that I feel you are attacking parents in general with your comments.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Yes, good, bad, or indifferent that is my opinion. I was looking for a discussion. I got many people telling me I am wrong and the reasons why, but no one else was hostile about it.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
asscherisme|1401214016|3681039 said:
ruby59|1401041472|3679766 said:
http://mom.me/parenting/6389-kids-leashes/?ncid=webmail1#!/parenting/6389-kids-leashes/item/11_83-kid-leash/

Have things changed since I was a young mom? I see this more and more at my local malls, and I want to scream. I had 3 children very close in age to each other, and I would never even have considered putting my child on a leash. Yet one woman cannot watch one child.

Maybe it is just me, but I find this very disturbing.

I didn't but as a mom with 3 autistic children I'm not going to judge others that do. You cant tell what's going on with kids from looking at them. And life is exhausting enough without strangers judging.

I said this in another post. I am not referring to peopke who have their hands full with children who have special needs. And I have said before, I can tune out screaming or naughty behavior. What concerns me is when your children become a physical danger to someone in my family. And why parents will use the harness in one condition but not another.

And just to point out. Of course I do not know what is going on in another family and reasons behind it. It is just what I observed. And this was moms totally ignoring their harnessed children to the point where one fell asleep on the floor. In another situation, a mom was sitting in a chair drinking a beverage while texting. We sat nearby for about 20 minutes. No, we were not stalking her as we were having a snack, also. Not once did she interact with that child. Maybe if he was not harnessed, she would have had to at least look up at him. These were the situations I encountered which made me bring up the discussion which allowed me to hear different views on the subject which now makes me understand there are two sides to every situations. I still do not like them, but I now understand why others do.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1401222307|3681163 said:
ruby59|1401221142|3681146 said:

Ruby, here is your original post that I have been responding/reacting to:

"Have things changed since I was a young mom? I see this more and more at my local malls, and I want to scream. I had 3 children very close in age to each other, and I would never even have considered putting my child on a leash. Yet one woman cannot watch one child.

Maybe it is just me, but I find this very disturbing."

You say you want to SCREAM when you see kids on leashes. You say you would never have done so with your 3 children and yet one woman cannot watch one child. You say you find it VERY DISTURBING. --This is how it comes across to me. It is not hostility with which I am responding. It is with exasperation. You make it very clear that you would never have used a leash on your children and you don't understand why mothers are using them and seemingly ignoring their kids. You then bring up a story about an unleashed child in a restaurant who caused harm to your mother. Irony, much?

And yes, why would you post this unless you want people to reply in agreement, and tsk tsk, what has the world come to with these awful mothers putting leashes on their children while they dare to shop and carry on a phone conversation. Was there a different point? Because I didn't get one. Obviously you are free to post what you want within the terms of use of the site. But along with that you will find others may disagree with you. I will leave the thread now because I do not want to make you feel personally attacked. But please know that I feel you are attacking parents in general with your comments.

I so agree with Monarch. On every point. With only one point to add. Parenting is the hardest job ever. No one can achieve perfection, no one does it all right. Your original post sounded so sanctimonious. Why can't others do it as good as you managed to do it. Please. I get having a bad experience in a restaurant and that is so upsetting for your mom, but it really doesn't have one thing to do with a mom using a leash or hand tether for their kids in terms of good parenting. And I might add that even if you go to a restaurant and see a kid acting up, with bad behavior, it doesn't necessarily make their parents 'bad'. You have no idea what is going on in that family. It is time to stop judging and start encouraging.

NTave

Shiny_Rock
I found it very disturbing as well when I had my first. I cringed when I saw a grandmother actually pulling back on the leash like a Rottweiler..however, my pediatrician actually suggested one for my son. I had to think about it, but I did purchase one and it worked really well for him, because he would run and wouldn't come back..he actually was calmer having the backpack. There was a very brief period between the baby carrier when I wore him in the ergo (up til 2 1/2) and 3.5 that the leash was a good thing for him. He never rode in a stroller because he needed to be moving and climbing, and grocery carts were a nightmare too. I always made sure to hold his hand as well, but it was nice to have the safety net.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1401223305|3681173 said:
Yes, good, bad, or indifferent that is my opinion. I was looking for a discussion. I got many people telling me I am wrong and the reasons why, but no one else was hostile about it.

If a child had spilled water over my mother in a public place, I would be wanting to vent too.
I would for sure be saying 'what is wrong with people these days' if something like that happened to my family.
I appreciate your frustration and anger over that experience!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And my question is still the same. If your child needs to be on a harness to keep him safe in a parking lot, do you feel the same in the restaurant if he will not stay in his seat. Because it is just as dangerous. He may not get run over, but he could be badly scalded. And I am just not talking about the child who screams. I can tune that out. But an out of control child running around can hurt an elderly person. I am not talking about bad parenting here or beeing inconvenienced, or children will be children. I am talking about dangers to your child and my family every bit as real as them running loose in a parking lot or mall.

And to "mom." thank you. I think we have similar ideas in how we raised our children.[/quote]

O.K, I'll answer your question. No my child liked to run in parking lots that was it. I talked to him and interacted with him when we went into the shopping centre, mostly I put him into a trolley and then shopped. When we ate out he was fine, he just sat there. NO idea why he wanted to bolt in front of cars he just did. Kids - they are all different and can be unpredictable.

Now the part about your mother while I am deeply sorry for what happened to her and if it was me and my son, I would have apologised to both her and the people at her table, however, having a wheel chair out in the aisle, or at the "end" of the table of any place is a trip hazard and a general hazard. If you have an ADHD child that cannot or will not sit still or one with autism then I can see how the two together could be a disaster, even a normal child that is active and wants to run off, go to the toilet and has to get past, still a disaster..... If you have an elderly person that could be annoyed by small children or they bug you or a family member in a wheelchair that has to be seated in a position that can potentially be run into, then the best answer would be surely be don't go to places where any of these things can happen.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Children are ALL different defintely as someone said earlier and what works for one may not work for another. My twins are identical but are exactly the opposite in their mannerisms and demeanor. I could not use the same mom tactics for them both in certain cases. So if two people with the exact same DNA living in the same house are different why would anyone think that all kids will respond to any training (yes you are training them) and end up with the same result? I feel I was lucky with mine that they were not as difficult as some other moms here. The job is hard enough as it is but we love them don't we. I definitely feel for moms and no one has any right to judge another's parenting, that is for God and maybe a real judge if you are neglectful.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1401372275|3682393 said:

And to "mom." thank you. I think we have similar ideas in how we raised our children.

O.K, I'll answer your question. No my child liked to run in parking lots that was it. I talked to him and interacted with him when we went into the shopping centre, mostly I put him into a trolley and then shopped. When we ate out he was fine, he just sat there. NO idea why he wanted to bolt in front of cars he just did. Kids - they are all different and can be unpredictable.

Now the part about your mother while I am deeply sorry for what happened to her and if it was me and my son, I would have apologised to both her and the people at her table, however, having a wheel chair out in the aisle, or at the "end" of the table of any place is a trip hazard and a general hazard. If you have an ADHD child that cannot or will not sit still or one with autism then I can see how the two together could be a disaster, even a normal child that is active and wants to run off, go to the toilet and has to get past, still a disaster..... If you have an elderly person that could be annoyed by small children or they bug you or a family member in a wheelchair that has to be seated in a position that can potentially be run into, then the best answer would be surely be don't go to places where any of these things can happen.[/quote]

I got drilled because posters thought I was merely suggesting they not bring their children out in public and now you are saying my mom needs to be extra careful where she goes? Where else would you put a wheel chair, if not at the end? And besides the point, it is where the maitre de (sp) suggested. No one else had a problem - waiters or patrons. Actually, my mom uses a walker. After another incident with a wayward child that almost knocked her to the ground, we put her in the wheel chair as an extra precaution.

My mom was minding her own business, quietly sitting in the chair, enjoying her surroundings. Wish I could say the same for that child.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I wish I could make this clearer. I am not judging other parents. As I said numerous times, I can tune out screaming and bad behavior. My nephew has Down's Syndrome, so I get it. But when the situation directly affects me or my family, that is another situation.

You put your child on a leash to protect him from danger? What about my rights to protect my family when that same child now becomes the "hazard"? Does my mom have to fall and break a hip or be hospitalized for her CHF for some of you to understand my point?

Should I just keep her at home?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Ruby, if that child's parents cared enough to leash him to his chair inside the restaurant, he wouldn't have been running around. Point is, they didn't care, and they didn't try to control him or even apologize. That is completely opposite of parents who actually harness their children. Other posters have mentioned that, but you seem to keep ignoring everyone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results