shape
carat
color
clarity

Purple jadeite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 6:13:16 PM
Author: simplysplendid
Hmm.. not sure about Poh Heng though, never seen them. Canary Diamond carries fine imperial jade so next time you are back you should take a look..
Joking, lah.
1.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/21/2009 9:36:52 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Thanks for the links, Richard, and thanks for the info, Jewelerman and Harriet!

I think my loupe has just been added to my NZ packing list
2.gif

Maori jade, or Greenstone, is all nephrite jade. There''s no jadeite in NZ unless it''s imported from Burma. Carving Greenstone is a Maori specialty and I''ve seen some very nice pieces. NZ produces some attractive greens but none to compare with the fine translucent jadeites from other sources, Burma especially.

Richard M.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 9:49:42 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 1/21/2009 6:13:16 PM
Hmm.. not sure about Poh Heng though, never seen them. Canary Diamond carries fine imperial jade so next time you are back you should take a look..
Joking, lah.
1.gif
Aiyo.

LOL

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which is the most obiang jewellery chain around these days?

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely love jadeite jade. I only have one piece that actually has a report. I probably should consider sending in some other pieces to GIA. Here''s a snap of a jadeite earring I have - has a GIA report. It was advertised to me as Imperial but not sure if its really in that league, but it''s definitely nice quality.

Kroshka

jadeiteearring.jpg

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know if Mason Kay pieces were carried at the old department store - Jacobson''s? I could swear that they did and if I am not mistaken, then some of my other pieces came from them Mason Kay.

Kroshka

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kroshka,
I''m pretty sure an inquiry to Mason Kay would answer your question.

Richard M.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 5:00:26 PM
No idea.. I avoid them like the plague..

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 11:29:02 PM
Author: kroshka
Definitely love jadeite jade. I only have one piece that actually has a report. I probably should consider sending in some other pieces to GIA. Here''s a snap of a jadeite earring I have - has a GIA report. It was advertised to me as Imperial but not sure if its really in that league, but it''s definitely nice quality.

Kroshka
Hi, I agree, I don''t think it is considered imperial jade. Palagems'' website has some fine examples:

http://www.palagems.com/burma_jade_pt2.htm#jadeite_buying_guide

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 1:30:14 PM

Why? They are entertaining. Btw, what kind of ''jade'' bangles are all the ah sohs wearing?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 9:20:48 PM

Date: 1/23/2009 1:30:14 PM

Why? They are entertaining. Btw, what kind of ''jade'' bangles are all the ah sohs wearing?
Hehehe...

Nowadays I hardly see anyone wearing jade bangles, but I see a lot of those religious or fengshui beaded bracelets..

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for purple jadeite. What's not to love.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 1:33:47 AM
Author: Richard M.
Date: 1/21/2009 9:36:52 PM

Thanks for the links, Richard, and thanks for the info, Jewelerman and Harriet!

I think my loupe has just been added to my NZ packing list
2.gif

Maori jade, or Greenstone, is all nephrite jade. There''s no jadeite in NZ unless it''s imported from Burma. Carving Greenstone is a Maori specialty and I''ve seen some very nice pieces. NZ produces some attractive greens but none to compare with the fine translucent jadeites from other sources, Burma especially.

Richard M.

Thanks for the info, Richard! That''s too bad that all NZ jade is nephrite. I''m still looking forward to shopping though (much to my BF''s dismay
2.gif
)

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Brown Eyed Girl,

Nephrite is not considered inferior to jadeite, just different. True, the finest jadeites sell for much higher prices and come in many different colors. But nephrite was the original Chinese "jade" until the 19th century when jadeite was first brought to China from Burma. It is still revered in many places around the world for its beauty and supreme toughness. Not all nephrite is green. At various places it occurs in creamy beige (mutton fat jade), yellowish, grayish brown, yellow-green and black (actually very dark green),creamy white with bright green patches, etc.

Richard M.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE jade! I''m sad, I lost one of my all time favorite jadeite pendants.
7.gif

But I still have my bangle, it was an engagement present from my mom (I got to pick it out though!).
The bangle is a nearly white jadeite(it looks white to a very pale apple green depending on the lighting) with a small strip of green "moss" that you can see in the picture. It''s grade A jadeite from burma.

jadeitebangle.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Making the Grade, that bangle is beautiful!!! I love it!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks! I really love jade, I think they all have such unique personality and are so distinct! I love the "design" on mine, 100% natural too :)

I wish I lived in China so I could buy more!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
wow that bangle is beautiful!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 8:52:17 PM
wow that bangle is beautiful!

Thanks, I''m a big fan of the whiter jadeite (although it never really comes in actual white, it''s very very pale green at best, or just translucent, lol).

In China, many people also assess the jade quality via sound. High quality jadeite sounds like a bright and clear chime when you tap another bangle/stone against it. It sounds really nice :)

My aunt is a BIG time jade collector, and has some to die for translucent bangles and imperial green jade pendants. She was the one who took me to buy the bangle since everyone knows her at the jade markets, and she got me a great price on it!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some more pics of the bangle :)
I"m really sad that I didn''t find many jade pictures while searching through pricescope
7.gif

thejadecollage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results