shape
carat
color
clarity

Purple jadeite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone here like it?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Oh Harriet(sweet Harriet)...I love every shade of jade!my favorite shades right now is white and moss on snow(deep green on white)...mutton fat(deep yellow) is interesting to me...as well as light lavender!Lets talk more about jade!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I do, but I love jade in general. There just something rather tranquil to me about the colors and veining that you see in jade. I also love how some pieces are almost translucent while others have a deep, rich tone to them. I think my love for it comes from being raised in a home with a lot Asian art/furniture/culture. My parents lived in Japan for two years and fell in love with everything Japanese, so we were raised learning as much Japanese as my mom could teach us, using chopsticks for EVERYTHING, and thinking that getting to sleep on the futon (much different from the futons here in the US) was a great treat!
9.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have one that''s a cab with some matrix still attached set in silver. i love it.

movie zombie

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 12:24:49 PM
Author: jewelerman
Oh Harriet(sweet Harriet)...I love every shade of jade!my favorite shades right now is white and moss on snow(deep green on white)...mutton fat(deep yellow) is interesting to me...as well as light lavender!Lets talk more about jade!
My friend. Any good sources?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 12:49:46 PM
Author: laurel25
I do, but I love jade in general. There just something rather tranquil to me about the colors and veining that you see in jade. I also love how some pieces are almost translucent while others have a deep, rich tone to them. I think my love for it comes from being raised in a home with a lot Asian art/furniture/culture. My parents lived in Japan for two years and fell in love with everything Japanese, so we were raised learning as much Japanese as my mom could teach us, using chopsticks for EVERYTHING, and thinking that getting to sleep on the futon (much different from the futons here in the US) was a great treat!
9.gif
We took a different path. I was raised in Singapore where cheap green jade was aplenty. I had an aversion to jade for a while, but I''ve seen a number of eye-popping examples lately.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 1:07:11 PM
Author: movie zombie
i have one that''s a cab with some matrix still attached set in silver. i love it.

movie zombie
Pictures, please?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Rick.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, I have no idea what it is, so I''ll have to look it up. Just wanted to say I just love your projects...I am always interested to see what you do next. You have fab taste.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I like jade especially untreated glassy green imperial jade but they cost a fortune! I love jade but haven''t taken the plunge because it is so hard to buy jade and most of the time there is treatment on them. If you want to buy jade, make sure it comes with a cert from a lab stating that it is Type A untreated jade.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Love it. Am still enjoying the ring from ACS stones--butterscoth jadeite by Nikolai.

cheers--Sharon

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Love it. I used to see purple jadeite all the time when I was in Hawaii (not sure about quality though).

I think I''m going to be buying some green jade when I''m in New Zealand in March though - anything I need to be aware of in buying jade? I''ve never bought anything before, although my mom has.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jade is very tricky to buy; there many out there that have been dyed and acid treated to improve the colour.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
There are lots of "tricks" in the jade trade -- from dyes to substituting nephrite for jadeite to substituting plain old green glass.

Make sure that you can visually distinguish between nephrite (often sold as jade) and jadeite. High quality jade will be expensive -- if the bargain is "unbeatable" then the stone is probably fake/treated.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I really love lavender jade - I've posted this before, but I think its gorgeous.

I seriously want a jade set.

il_430xN.443094012.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous...I like it!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
WOW AJ that''s beautiful! is it yours?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 9:55:28 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
WOW AJ that''s beautiful! is it yours?
Unfortunately no
7.gif
Its one of sally''s.

Rick, that link you posted is awesome, so many nice things!
30.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rick,
What should one look for in a piece of jadeite? Thanks!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 6:24:05 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Harriet, I have no idea what it is, so I''ll have to look it up. Just wanted to say I just love your projects...I am always interested to see what you do next. You have fab taste.
Thanks, dearie. Unfortunately, there''s no project in the pipes here, just curiosity.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 6:42:58 PM
Author: simplysplendid
I like jade especially untreated glassy green imperial jade but they cost a fortune! I love jade but haven''t taken the plunge because it is so hard to buy jade and most of the time there is treatment on them. If you want to buy jade, make sure it comes with a cert from a lab stating that it is Type A untreated jade.
What about at Poh Heng?
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 6:49:38 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Love it. Am still enjoying the ring from ACS stones--butterscoth jadeite by Nikolai.

cheers--Sharon
Off to take a look.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 7:18:48 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Love it. I used to see purple jadeite all the time when I was in Hawaii (not sure about quality though).

I think I''m going to be buying some green jade when I''m in New Zealand in March though - anything I need to be aware of in buying jade? I''ve never bought anything before, although my mom has.
Also, look out for doublets and triplets.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 7:23:58 PM
Author: kimikocat
There are lots of ''tricks'' in the jade trade -- from dyes to substituting nephrite for jadeite to substituting plain old green glass.

Make sure that you can visually distinguish between nephrite (often sold as jade) and jadeite. High quality jade will be expensive -- if the bargain is ''unbeatable'' then the stone is probably fake/treated.
kimikocat,
I think you mean that nephrite is often sold as jadeite,because both nephrite and jadeite are varieties of jade(as i sure you are aware).

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 11:18:30 PM
Author: Harriet
Rick,
What should one look for in a piece of jadeite? Thanks!
Maybe until Rick is able to respond i will give a few things i look for in quality grading jade
1-transparancy...looking to make sure that piece has even transparency through the whole stone.
2-cracks and vaining...Make sure that there are no cracks or breaks in the stone...especially that break the surface
3-DYE or enhancements...Very important to make sure material is natural color and not dyed...
4-traditionally carved material is lower grade and cabs are higher grade...but not always.
5-quality of carving...is it by machine or by hand?Are the lines graceful and curved or sharp and abrupt.
6-color...Does the white jade have grey in the undertone.
I alway use a loupe for judgements only after I judge with my naked eye in natural light...look for dye that has settled in cracks or vaining and look for grey undertones in white,light lavender or light green colored material.
7-Is it jadite or nephrite?Jadeite id more glassy and transparent and nephrite has a greasy appearance and can be less treanparent...nephrite is located in New Zealand and some material will have a deep green,none transparent,spinich color.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, gentlemen.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 11:22:42 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 1/19/2009 6:42:58 PM
Author: simplysplendid
What about at Poh Heng?
2.gif
Hmm.. not sure about Poh Heng though, never seen them. Canary Diamond carries fine imperial jade so next time you are back you should take a look..

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the links, Richard, and thanks for the info, Jewelerman and Harriet!

I think my loupe has just been added to my NZ packing list
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results