shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchasing a 2.2C diamond, last minute validation request

dayne411

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

New to posting here, however I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks now. I'm about to pull the trigger on the following loose princess cut diamond that I currently have on hold at JA.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/2.20-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-464592

I'm about to make the call to have them send the diamond my way with the PS James Allen Advantage discount (1.5% off). I'm inquiring locally about having the setting made for it as my girlfriend wants the ability to customize.

The stone looks to be good value for money when looking at the computer generated AGS image within the AGS report. I understand that I can save a little by stepping down to a VS2 or SII/SI2, however I'm nervous about doing so online given that its difficult to verify that they would be "eye clean" from above.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good deal?

Any other stones out there that I should consider?

Thanks!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Purchasing a 2.2C diamond, last minute validation reques

Bump for opinions on a Princess. I have to ask though...are you positive SHE want a princess?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That looks like a beautiful stone. Cant say whether it's a good value or not because the price is no longer up.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with the two posters above. Great stone, can't see the price. It's a nice choice IF she wanted a princess cut diamond above all others.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

dayne411

Rough_Rock

I appreciate the responses.

I am 100% sure she wants a princess cut, I actually tried talking her into a round and informed her that a round would appear larger carat for carat, but she doesn't mind she wants to be a little unique.

I actually had Todd Gray from NiceIce.com help find this one for me, I just wanted the validation that it was my best option for what is out there in the market right now.

I paid $15,780 for it by getting JA to apply the Price Scope James Allen Advantage discount to the order. I paid for it using a 2% cashback credit card so I actually saved even more and still have some protection from the credit card.

In terms of the setting, we have been working with two jewelers in the Boston area. Cynthiabritt.com and LuxbondandGreen.com to get a custom solitaire, twist, pave setting made in platinum. Both seem like they can do it, however they don't seem too happy that we aren't buying the diamond from them. We haven't talked specifics on price, however it sounds like Cynthia is going to charge around $3k for this and Lux around $2 to $2.5k for the setting.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a custom setting maker in the Boston area that doesn't mind that we didn't get the diamond from them?

dayne411

Rough_Rock

The diamond arrived yesterday. It looks perfect!

Thanks for the reassurance of my purchase.

Time for us to get a setting made.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's a bit of a drive, but Northampton Jewellers, Inc (104 Main St, Northampton, MA 01060) work is impeccable. Worth the drive. You can make it a day and enjoy lovely food and shopping. He works with outside stones. Phone and in person are the best way to get him...he is a bit of a luddite/old school.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results