shape
carat
color
clarity

PS''ers with big diamonds... DSS?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 8:42:28 AM
Author: Addy
I find it really hard to think through exactly what I want. On PS we see so many stones of all sizes and colours and have access to some great jewellers. On our hands rings look different and lots of times we can''t see the rings on our hands until we buy them. I''ve said on here many times that had I known what I know now I wouldn''t have choosen my original engagement ring. We had a limited budget and size was my primany concern. I''ve since discovered that size and finger coverage aren''t the same thing. What I was actually looking for was finger coverage. And I found it in a smaller stone.

You want big, fair enough. I think it''s really easy to want to upgrade when you aren''t able to try on something and it doesn''t look quite how you want it to on you. Are you actually experiencing DSS or just not quite getting the look you were aimming for in the first place?
Its true, there are many gorgeous rings on PS. And the fact that we can have them made for us is even better. Here in the UK we just don''t have that do we? We just go to the high street and buy whatever is available. We are definitely spoilt by being able to buy from the US.

I think you are right, maybe I just expected it to look bigger than it does. I do have large fingers. I know what I want and I guess I will stop when I achieve it.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 1:45:38 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
HERE ARE THE BASIC RULES....

for E-ring....(center stone only) you can go up to a 2.5 rb if your ring size is 3.5 or 4ct if your ring size is 5; 5ct if size 6 etc,etc... and for fancy cuts you can go up to your ring size.

for earrings studs .....75% ctw of your e-ring ''center stone''.

for solitaire pendant .....50% the weight of your e-ring ''center stone''

for bracelet.....3 X the weight of your e-ring ''center stone''
DF, those are rules to live by.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie in your response to my post it sounded like you knew what you needed to do, which sounds like wait a bit with what you have and enjoy it for a while. I knew that my last jump was it for a while as I am really not one of those people who can be sending their ring back and forth every 6 months... it would drive me batty with worry!!! The upgrades I got were mostly 'calculated' as I knew I wanted to get to at least 2c at some point, but the stones were just there and it made sense. Now I have had my stone for a while and I really love it, but of course I'd love bigger. This thread made me go to WF last nite and drool over a 3c J ACA that is not totally ridiculously priced (well maybe it is and I am skewed from home remodeling prices).

I also think that being on PS nonstop does things to your brain. I have been more absent in the last year for many reasons, but one of the things I noticed was I didn't fixate on my ring so much!! In fact I would let it get really dirty and not clean it because so many other priorities were going on (also my US broke and I haven't found a good replacement), but in PS days it's hard NOT to think about your jewelry and diamonds because hello that's what it's about. I would bet if you lessened up on PS a bit you'd notice that your thoughts would change too. Kind of a funny 'fix'... but it doesn't cost you any money! Of course as soon as I start to come back more I am like wow look at that awesome 3.5c that so and so has. No cure, dammit!

Also re settings, not sure what your saga is but I also tend to try to think on this stuff before doing anything, mostly because I have always had my set, my hub really likes it, and I don't know that quite frankly I'd LOVE anything else all that much more. Again it's hard to know til you have it and that is what is hard about having an internet jeweler. You have to send stuff away to try things and then if you go crap this sucks you have to send it back to fix it...hah. I am just really NOT into mailing my stuff. I would rather travel.
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You raise some very good points Mara. The sending back and forwards of my ring is worrying, not least that it might get lost. Customs always seem to get me for things I don''t owe! I would much rather go to the vendor but its a lot of money - money that could go towards the upgrade. If I lived closer I would love to visit and look for myself before I buy.

I have spent a lot of time on PS over the last 12 months. Not being well has meant I have a lot of time on my hands and I have posted a lot here. I did stop posting for a while and I did notice I wasn''t so jewellery obsessed!

I guess the way forward is to stop trying to do everything right now and give myself time to think things through. I am very impulsive which has ended up costing us money we could have used more sensibly.

It doesn''t stop me wanting to get over the 2ct mark though!
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif

Date: 4/12/2009 6:29:41 PM
Author: Maisie

Date: 4/12/2009 5:47:30 PM
Author: elle_chris

Date: 4/12/2009 5:28:07 PM
I would love some diamond stud earrings. They are on my list of things to get. I wonder if I will stick with this diamond or upgrade it. I wonder why I keep wanting bigger. It could be hanging round PS too long, or it could be that I just love big honkin diamonds!
Did you care about diamond size before you joined PS?
No I didn''t. I wonder if I am too materialistic and greedy. Maybe thats why I keep doing it.
I think like most human beings, you like the thrill and hunt of the "new." Some people seek new places to travel. Other people seek new purses and shoes. And then there are those who seek "new" in lovers, married or not. The search for something new and exciting is what fuels many many people because everyday life inherently mundane.

I think you enjoy the hunt for the new stone and enjoy looking at all the different setting options. I think one thing that sets us up for disappointment on PS is that an awesome ring you fall in love with in a photo is NOT the same as falling in love with a ring you''ve tried on. A lot of us order based on a photo (for example, the JM craze we can credit Coati for) since we deal with online/distant vendors but you don''t know what you are going to get until you''ve paid for it and seen it. I think that can be risky, and I think on a few occasions that happened to you Maisie.

If you can afford it, have the support of your hubby and it makes you happy, I think you should continue to upgrade. However, I DO hope you will wear this diamond for at least a few months.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I promise I will wear this diamond for at least a year. Hows that?
9.gif

We have a few big things coming up, one of them will involve a house move. We will channel funds into that and I will still save on the side just in case I see a diamond I like. Your points about the setting are bang on. I have seen something and bought it purely because I thought it would look nice. My split shank is a lovely ring, just not an everyday ring. I plan to put a lovely blue sapphire in there and wear it on special occasions. I hope my daughters will use it as their something blue on their wedding day.

I feel like I have chosen the right setting for me now. I love this one and its perfect for me. I am really happy with yellow gold, it just doesn''t need taking care of at all. As for the swoopy head - I can''t stop looking at it!

So we can safely say I have gotten something right this time!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 12:53:48 PM
I promise I will wear this diamond for at least a year. Hows that?
9.gif

We have a few big things coming up, one of them will involve a house move. We will channel funds into that and I will still save on the side just in case I see a diamond I like. Your points about the setting are bang on. I have seen something and bought it purely because I thought it would look nice. My split shank is a lovely ring, just not an everyday ring. I plan to put a lovely blue sapphire in there and wear it on special occasions. I hope my daughters will use it as their something blue on their wedding day.

I feel like I have chosen the right setting for me now. I love this one and its perfect for me. I am really happy with yellow gold, it just doesn''t need taking care of at all. As for the swoopy head - I can''t stop looking at it!

So we can safely say I have gotten something right this time!
Works for me Maisie, but I won''t hold ya to it.
2.gif

I find other projects are awesome distractors. I always have SOMETHING going, whether it be buying something as unsexy as a fridge or reading into potty training philosophies.
14.gif
My fav, of course is travel planning. Whatever it is, it CONSUMES me for that day, week or whatever.

Right now, I''m trying to find a setting for my pad, and that''s starting to take up a large chunk of my mental focus. I''m glad I don''t have lots of stones to set because the possibilities presented on PS is endless, and it''s a lot of money to be focused on one "hobby."
41.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I should just give myself an imaginary budget and pretend I am shopping for a new diamond. I can do all the working out and enjoy the search. I just won''t end up with a ring at the end of it.

Or maybe I should hang round RT a bit more and try to help out. On second thoughts its a bit too technical for me over there. I should hang out in the baby threads. I know lots about that stuff!
9.gif

We eventually got James potty trained. He is 5 this year! I know he has special needs but he was far too old to be in nappies. One day I just said ''James thats the potty. Nappies are for babies. Use the potty!'' It actually worked
36.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 1:04:02 PM

Or maybe I should hang round RT a bit more and try to help out.

Yes!! This allows you to research and often see the finished piece!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Maisie~thanks for starting this thread. I have a 2.1 ct diamond and I totally have DSS. I thought I was crazy, but after reading all the replies I know I''m in good company!
16.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 2:56:25 PM
Author: Burk
Maisie~thanks for starting this thread. I have a 2.1 ct diamond and I totally have DSS. I thought I was crazy, but after reading all the replies I know I''m in good company!
16.gif
Way back when I got my .55ct diamond I said I would love to end on 1.5ct. I am there now and it just doesn''t seem big enough. Don''t get me wrong, its a lovely beautiful diamond and I feel grateful to have it, but there is more room on that there finger!!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:00:49 PM

16.gif

Way back when I got my .55ct diamond I said I would love to end on 1.5ct. I am there now and it just doesn''t seem big enough. Don''t get me wrong, its a lovely beautiful diamond and I feel grateful to have it, but there is more room on that there finger!!

I 100% understand! I love, love love my OEC.....but I long for a 3.5 ct ish antique cushion. We''re in the process of building a house right now so I know it''ll be a while before the funds are there. Someday, though, I''ll be posting pics of my cushion in the SMTR!
2.gif
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:37:48 PM

16.gif

I 100% understand! I love, love love my OEC.....but I long for a 3.5 ct ish antique cushion. We''re in the process of building a house right now so I know it''ll be a while before the funds are there. Someday, though, I''ll be posting pics of my cushion in the SMTR!
2.gif
9.gif
And I shall still be here plodding away with my upgrades no doubt! I will probably be up to a 1.9 by then lol!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:39:29 PM
Date: 4/13/2009 3:37:48 PM

16.gif

2.gif
9.gif

And I shall still be here plodding away with my upgrades no doubt! I will probably be up to a 1.9 by then lol!

Na...I doubt it''ll take you 5 years to get to 1.9....I am pretty sure I''m on at least the 5 year plan. Hopefully PS will still be around when I finally get to upgrade!
3.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:46:24 PM

Na...I doubt it''ll take you 5 years to get to 1.9....I am pretty sure I''m on at least the 5 year plan. Hopefully PS will still be around when I finally get to upgrade!
3.gif
Oh 5 years will be fine then! I will probably meet you somewhere around 3.5cts then!!
36.gif

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Oh 5 years will be fine then! I will probably meet you somewhere around 3.5cts then!!
36.gif

Yes, we can both be rockin the 3.5''s by then!
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:56:38 PM

36.gif

Yes, we can both be rockin the 3.5''s by then!
9.gif
Wouldn''t that be something! I bet my husband will have something to say about it though!

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Hmm. For me I''m hoping it will end with a 5+carat with a halo. I still have the same diamond I started with...it is a 3.03 AGS 0 H&A at about 9.4mm and I received it when I was in my mid-twenties.
When I received it I can honestly say I thought at 3 carats it would look bigger. At our 5 year anniversary I haloed it which helped with my DSS. I''ll be good with it as is for a few more years....then I''ll have to figure out if I make this 3 carat a right hand ring or a pendant
31.gif
because there is no way I''m trading it in at this point. It''s a beautiful diamond and has too much sentimental value (not to mention the price to buy it new is more than double now).

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 11:13:57 AM
Author: bebe
beautuful rings Lori.

You sized down
6.gif

I can understand that though.

I don''t dislike my ring, I just feel the center cushion
doesn''t look like a 4ct stone. In some of my pics I posted
when I first got it Dec. 8, ''08, the stone looks large, but in
real life, no way. It also doesn''t help that Leon set the stone
as low as possible. We discussed that and he said it should
be set that way. We even talked about a halo, but again,
I listened to him - he nixed the idea. I purposely used step
cut side stones so the center stone would show up more.
But honestly, to my eye, they just all flow together, one
big blur. Oh well. The most expensive mistake in my life.

Lori, I hope you can make our Houston GTG. I''d love to
meet you and see your pretties!
Thank you Bebe....I can''t wait to meet you!!!
35.gif

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 12:43:13 PM
You raise some very good points Mara. The sending back and forwards of my ring is worrying, not least that it might get lost. Customs always seem to get me for things I don''t owe! I would much rather go to the vendor but its a lot of money - money that could go towards the upgrade. If I lived closer I would love to visit and look for myself before I buy.

I have spent a lot of time on PS over the last 12 months. Not being well has meant I have a lot of time on my hands and I have posted a lot here. I did stop posting for a while and I did notice I wasn''t so jewellery obsessed!

I guess the way forward is to stop trying to do everything right now and give myself time to think things through. I am very impulsive which has ended up costing us money we could have used more sensibly.

It doesn''t stop me wanting to get over the 2ct mark though!
9.gif
Ditto for me! I''m home on a disability retirement and have lots of time on my hands to spend on PS. I''ve noticed that I have DSS more often when I''m on PS quite a bit. I''ve also made too many impulsive purchases that I''ve come to regret. Wish I had kept my 3 ct. EC that has now been sold. DH liked it and it was paid for and I could have been DONE once and for all. But NO, I saw the Daniel K that Dover had and swapped my 3 ct. EC for it and they will send me the difference once the buyer has paid for it. I still have my original wedding rings, but am not satisfied. Why can''t I be happy with what I have? When will it stop?
39.gif

Lori

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lemmie take you back, Maisie ... way back to eighteen days ago

Date: 3/24/2009 8:14:27 AM
Date: 3/24/2009 8:12:18 AM
Author: Lorelei
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

How is the size Bruddah???
31.gif
Oooh it big Bruddah, It big!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Here''s my advice. Go out and buy a fakie that''s the size of your *original* e-ring. And wear that around for a few days. Maybe even (gasp) EIGHTEEN days. I bet that ring of yours goes right back to Big, Bruddah!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh reading all of this makes me think I am the ONLY one not to have DSS?? What''s wrong with me??
37.gif

FWIW, Maisie, I have always enjoyed your upgrades, but don''t want to enable you. The stone you have now is gorgeous, and I just adore the setting.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 8:17:50 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Gosh reading all of this makes me think I am the ONLY one not to have DSS?? What's wrong with me??
37.gif
No, I don't either
1.gif
But my e-ring's not over 2ct so I didn't feel like I qualify for the census!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Well, I definitely don''t have a big rock (other priorities), but I agree that spending too much time on ps puts too many ideas in a girl''s head. I''m luckily able to rein it in, most of the time. Once I think it over, I realize I would rather keep my extra money in the bank and I don''t NEED xyz to be happy. Too many options and choices can be paralyzing though, too. So many psers have such lovely rings and it makes you want one of each
11.gif

peaches

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/13/2009 8:09:11 AM
Date: 4/13/2009 12:38:22 AM

Author: peaches

My current e-ring is .64 ct but I''m upgrading to a 2.06 ct ring [hopefully] by the end of the month!

When I first saw the diamond I thought it was downright ginormous! But after staring at it for the last two weeks I''ve become more used to the size of it. It still looks pretty dang large but not as impossibly huge as when I first laid eyes on it.

I''m sure that over time I''ll get more used to the size, though I can''t imagine ever thinking of it as too SMALL. But maybe you should ask me in 10 years or so?
31.gif

Wow thats quite a jump! You are going to love that new diamond!!
36.gif

Thanks Maisie!!! It only occurred to me how much of a leap that was once I typed it. Can''t wait! ::getting impatient again::
2.gif

peaches

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/13/2009 8:42:28 AM
Author: Addy
I find it really hard to think through exactly what I want. On PS we see so many stones of all sizes and colours and have access to some great jewellers. On our hands rings look different and lots of times we can''t see the rings on our hands until we buy them. I''ve said on here many times that had I known what I know now I wouldn''t have choosen my original engagement ring. We had a limited budget and size was my primany concern. I''ve since discovered that size and finger coverage aren''t the same thing. What I was actually looking for was finger coverage. And I found it in a smaller stone.

You want big, fair enough. I think it''s really easy to want to upgrade when you aren''t able to try on something and it doesn''t look quite how you want it to on you. Are you actually experiencing DSS or just not quite getting the look you were aimming for in the first place?

That''s a really good point, there is a HUGE difference between carat weight and finger coverage!

I had no idea of this until after I asked my B&M jeweler to conduct a search. I made a guess at what carat weight would give me the coverage I wanted but the diamonds the jeweler showed me were not even close to the size I had been imagining. Had I purchased one of them sight unseen I could see myself wanting an upgrade ASAP.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 9:20:18 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Date: 4/10/2009 7:46:07 PM

Author:Maisie

If you have a diamond over 2cts do you still get DSS? It seems that a diamond that size would be huge but I am now worried that it will hit me.. if I ever get a huge diamond of course.
31.gif
Where does it end?

I have not yet found where it ends so I am not sure that it does! My stones look small to average to me [6.39 and 6.89 carats!] when I wear them. They look big but not huge to me when others try them on. Go figure!
Um, I''d like to go figure. *jaw drop*

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 11:55:37 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Date: 4/11/2009 11:46:23 PM

Author: Imdanny

Date: 4/11/2009 8:09:20 PM

Well, my center stone is a 4.26 that looks like a 2ct. to not only me, but several other people.

Yeah, I want to change it. I waited too long for my upgrade and then I rushed into it.

Spent a huge amt. of money and I feel the stone should reflect that.

(does that sound tacky? Probably not the best choice of words.)

How is that? Even if it doesn't face up as big as a RB, the 4.26 has to go somewhere. Am I wrong? Are you not looking at 4.26 cts of diamond when you look at it?

I can't imagine having 'DSS' with a 2 ct RB. It IS big. It takes a big head to put it in. Other people notice that, even if you don't.
Imdanny,

bebe is posting about how SHE feels. Get it?? Got it?? GOOD.
20.gif

She is entitled to voice how she feels. I remember her quest.
5.gif
Hey, thanks for the condescending snarkiness! Why, if you didn't tell me that, I just never would have known. Only the first part of my post was written to her. I was trying to RELATE to what she was saying. Do you want to know what "relate" means? I suggest "google". How rude you are. You would never speak to me that way if you were sitting in front of me. "Get it?? Got it?? GOOD."? Who do you think you are? The next time you post like this to me, I will report your post and we can discuss it with the moderators. I hope that I am clear.
29.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 12:18:55 AM

Well, my center stone is a 4.26 that looks like a 2ct. to not only me, but several other people.

Yeah, I want to change it. I waited too long for my upgrade and then I rushed into it.

How is that? Even if it doesn't face up as big as a RB, the 4.26 has to go somewhere. Am I wrong? Are you not looking at 4.26 cts of diamond when you look at it?

I can't imagine having 'DSS' with a 2 ct RB. It IS big. It takes a big head to put it in. Other people notice that, even if you don't.

yeah, it is there - maybe it's kinda like buying a small inexpensive car, but installing a larger aftermarket engine. YOu know it's there, but it doesn't show. In my case I've almost felt inclined to pull out a copy of my GIA cert to prove the size. I made a mistake and fixing it would cost another boat load of cash.

Perhaps you need to understand cuts of diamonds before making these statements. You do seem to be on a roll tonight.

Thanks to those of you who do understand. This is a big deal to me and it bothers me everyday.
I asked you questions, I did not make "statements" about your diamond, and the second part of my post was not directed toward you at all, but thanks for dumping your carp on me. I hope your next diamond looks like the amount of money you spent on it. Maybe you should research diamond cuts, before buying them.
20.gif

I don't know your diamond. If you don't think the size shows the way it should, you could have simply explained that to me, instead of getting aggressive and rude about it.
20.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 12:02:59 AM
Author: Linda W

Well how rude is that??? It is her ring and if she isn't happy with it, she should get what she wants.
9.gif
Afterall, Women are different then men you know
36.gif
36.gif
I said she shouldn't get what she wants? You want to point out where I said anything like that? I didn't think so. You might try not putting words in other people's mouths before accusing other people of being rude.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results