shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Sea of Cortez adventures - 2021/2022 edition!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Thoughts? (I tried to balance light and dark better)

SOC3.png

This is looking really good - although I do wonder whether there is just a bit too much symmetry in the alternation of colours across the strand. I myself am partial to a bit of asymmetry. Maybe the end three colours on each side could be played with a bit?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is looking really good - although I do wonder whether there is just a bit too much symmetry in the alternation of colours across the strand. I myself am partial to a bit of asymmetry. Maybe the end three colours on each side could be played with a bit?

There are 14 pearls and I just realized what I did :lol: It actually IS basically a repeating colour pattern, offset by one pearl. I don’t love that.

2B81E67B-B248-460E-86BD-6CBCB3B40454.jpeg

The big green/red bullet shape sixth from right end is… Giving me trouble. It’s just too big to be a side pearl, and the colours - I like them against paper, and against a light sweater, but that colour combo doesn’t do much for my skin. But it’s one of the two that I just got and I want to use it darn it!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are y'all tired of me yet? :shock:

SOC4.png

SOC4_BW.png

I think it's better to have Big Purple and The Bullet Pearl next to each other, at the "top" of the bracelet. I like the left graduation of the right picture, and the right graduation of the left picture :lol:

Bottom pic is just the same pics turned to B&W to show tone better. They're both fine... my eyes prefer the right photo, slightly.

Thoughts? I'll be presumptuous and tag @Cerulean @lovedogs @CMN :))

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

SOC4.png

SOC4_BW.png

I think it's better to have Big Purple and The Bullet Pearl next to each other, at the "top" of the bracelet. I like the left graduation of the right picture, and the right graduation of the left picture :lol:

Bottom pic is just the same pics turned to B&W to show tone better. They're both fine... my eyes prefer the right photo, slightly.

Oh please, I will never tire of such a delightful puzzle, and I’d do the same thing!

I totally see what you mean about the “bullet” pearl. Will it bother you over time, knowing that it isn’t quite the best color to suit your skin tone? I have to ask! If you are nitpicking a little bit now, that might turn into a full blown nag! I only say this as someone who relates!

I like the one on the right more. I see what you mean about the right versus left graduation, but I think the right arrangement is more balanced. It’s making me verklempt!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SOC4.png

SOC4_BW.png

It's hard for me to immediately see the differences between these layouts. But when I try to think about preference, my eye is drawn to the R more than the L

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you girls!! I strung it up - I like it! I think I'll go ahead and glue :bigsmile:

The three sacrificial needles get their thirty seconds in the spotlight. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to string without ravaging these needles :???:

EAD5A855-DAF2-42EA-96A7-F01A96445FCE.jpeg
image.jpg image.jpg

@Cerulean I'm not sure about the bullet, honestly :oops: I want to use it and I want to love it - largely because it was really expensive and I don't want to feel like I wasted the money! That's not a great reason I know. I think I'll leave it in for now, and if it really just doesn't work for me after wearing it around a while - I've got three spare pearls I can rework with.

You can see it in that bottom pic - it's right below the big purple - and it just kind of loses its vitality against my skin. Not the most flattering colour. But I know it would look really nice against say a beige sweater!

I guess I'll just plan to redo this strand for summer and winter :lol:

Edit - all done ::)

7C96DFFD-3F34-4339-8317-AFA55BBCD9B0.jpeg

Last edited:

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous!!! I can't believe you can string pearls---stringing pearls is incomprehensible to me. It might as well be magic. :D

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
Wow to all the amazing pictures and info in this thread! @yssie you have such a well rounded amount of jewelry knowledge. Thank you for sharing with us so we can learn too!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you girls!! I strung it up - I like it! I think I'll go ahead and glue :bigsmile:

The three sacrificial needles get their thirty seconds in the spotlight. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to string without ravaging these needles :???:

image.jpg image.jpg

@Cerulean I'm not sure about the bullet, honestly :oops: I want to use it and I want to love it - largely because it was really expensive and I don't want to feel like I wasted the money! That's not a great reason I know. I think I'll leave it in for now, and if it really just doesn't work for me after wearing it around a while - I've got three spare pearls I can rework with.

You can see it in that bottom pic - it's right below the big purple - and it just kind of loses its vitality against my skin. Not the most flattering colour. But I know it would look really nice against say a beige sweater!

It’s just breathtaking. You nailed it. Really like the mauve / plum (?) colored thread too.

What I love about the bullet, especially with this composition, is how it coordinates with the RG clasp. They are having a nice little side conversation across the table from one another. To me it looks like money well spent.

This has to be my favorite strand of pearls (in all of her varieties) that I’ve come across. Truly. I admire your pursuit for perfection and actually like that it’s an ever evolving strand.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s just breathtaking. You nailed it. Really like the mauve / plum (?) colored thread too.

What I love about the bullet, especially with this composition, is how it coordinates with the RG clasp. They are having a nice little side conversation across the table from one another. To me it looks like money well spent.

This has to be my favorite strand of pearls (in all of her varieties) that I’ve come across. Truly. I admire your pursuit for perfection and actually like that it’s an ever evolving strand.

You’ve just made me look at that bullet pearl completely differently. Thank you!! ::) I love that. Complements the clasp… Having a conversation across the table. I absolutely love that visual ❤️

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
You’ve just made me look at that bullet pearl completely differently. Thank you!! ::) I love that. Complements the clasp… Having a conversation across the table. I absolutely love that visual ❤️

So happy I could help, really. 8)

CMN

Brilliant_Rock

image.jpg image.jpg

Looks great. Sorry I wasn’t able to respond to your message in time - I did see it this morning but with time differences and all that you had already finished your stringing!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gorgeous!!! I can't believe you can string pearls---stringing pearls is incomprehensible to me. It might as well be magic. :D

It's really straightforward. It really is a practice makes perfect skill. There are books and videos available on websites and youtube. And the beauty is that you can keep doing again and again and the pearls won't mind a bit.
(I admit that knitting is incomprehensible to me so it is all in the incentive to learn I suppose)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Regarding the needles... I used to use those and gave them up for the twisted ones and I buy them in all the sizes. You may need to go down a size in thread as my problem was the second things got tough going through a crowded drill hole , they split. Try reaming out the end pearls to expand the hole... or get a little dremel drill and .8 .9 1.0 bits It's very easy to expand once the hole is already there to guide you.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and .8 .9 1.0 bits It's very easy to expand once the hole is already there to guide you.
Oh yes! I actually already have a dremel. Is there any specific brand of bit you would recommend?

I wouldn’t try drilling undrilled pearls but pearls that are already drilled, to take the holes up a touch… that would be ideal!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just use the ones from Dremel. For my drilling machine I use a different bit but you will probably get decent use from a few Bits. It's not like you are drilling strands . If there are some other cheaper bits that work with Dremel try them as well.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I use a small regular household drill for enlarging drill holes or removing burrs in the middle of holes (happens when professional two-head drills aren't properly aligned).Lots of internet websites or eBay sellers offer tiny bits.
Realistically it would be near-impossible to drill a pearl right through and get the drill hole where it should be. drilling.JPG

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @katbran, @Pearlescence!! I bought some baby dremel bits ❤️ Yup, I wouldn’t be doing any major drilling! I got a couple of hand reamers too, in case for my very specific and small use case those work better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results