shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Sea of Cortez adventures - 2021/2022 edition!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I can't do an ear shot right now but I'd say they're 10-11mm.

...and I have no idea what I’d do with one single mabe. Would make a nifty brooch…

I've seen a couple of pendants with a pink tourmaline or other colorful gem included. That's what I'd do if I just had one SoC mabe pearl. Like the one below (not mine) but without the top SoC pearl:

soc pendant.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Fun (and gorgeous) thread!

cheers--Sharon

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an earshot. Please excuse my giant head.

SoC ear shot.jpg

Pearls people know how overtones usually fade when worn - how unusual it is to find pearls with colour so bright that one can see colour play against skin. They're beautiful @seaurchin, I hope you wear them often! Thank you for sharing :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fernando wrote back to explain more about mabe grading -

[...] We grade mabes like this.
  • B (lowest quality)
  • A (OK, cleaner surface)
  • AA (nice luster- good color)
  • AAA (nicer luster and nicer color)
  • U (the best, intense colors, shily luster, bulky shapes, the best ones)
In loose pearls, we have lower grades than B
BTW - each letter has another group with a "+" or "SN" - or a combination of the 2
(ex. C+ or C SN or C+ SN)

The + could be for the cleanness of surface or luster
Then SN (or National Selection)- is basically a + for color
  • D (we don´t really use them)
  • C
  • B
  • A
  • GEM
So on Mabes "U" is the TOP and in Loose Pearls "Gem+++ SN"

And I asked for a video of the two baroques that I just bought next to these mabes:
https://cortezpearl.mx/products/cortez-mabe-pearl-perla-mabe-del-mar-de-cortez-02
https://cortezpearl.mx/products/square-shape-cortez-mabe-pearl-3

I think the saturation on the pearls is commensurate, but the mabes are more colourful hands down. Both gorgeous in their own ways! (But okay, if they could magic that mabe colour play onto those baroques - ohhhhh yeah gimme gimme :bigsmile:)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

And I asked for a video of the two baroques that I just bought next to these mabes:
https://cortezpearl.mx/products/cortez-mabe-pearl-perla-mabe-del-mar-de-cortez-02

I think the saturation on the pearls is commensurate, but the mabes are more colourful hands down. Both gorgeous in their own ways! (But okay, if they could magic that mabe colour play onto those baroques - ohhhhh yeah gimme gimme :bigsmile:)

Oh boy oh boy

that purple barque - wowza

love the mabes too - their color is unparalleled

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

omg those mabes are killing me!!! I have this irrational dislike of square shaped mabes (where there is the "flat" part next to the "blister"), but that one is making me second guess myself!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie, what would you do w that square mabe? I still have feelings about the square shape, but keep watching the video for that delicious play of color!!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
omg those mabes are killing me!!! I have this irrational dislike of square shaped mabes (where there is the "flat" part next to the "blister"), but that one is making me second guess myself!

I’m the same way. I can’t get into the squares usually either

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs I keep thinking the squares are just SO perfect for a brooch, or... If you tie scarves around your purse handles - wouldn't a bezelled square Cortez pearl be marvellous to pin the scarf in place!?

That's actually what I'm planning to do with two WSS that I've already got, though - use them as "ties" to keep scarves in place around purse handles. Soooooo I don't need more pearls. I can't even justify more pearls. ;( The square would have worked better though!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@lovedogs I keep thinking the squares are just SO perfect for a brooch, or... If you tie scarves around your purse handles - wouldn't a bezelled square Cortez pearl be marvellous to pin the scarf in place!?

That's actually what I'm planning to do with two WSS that I've already got, though - use them as "ties" to keep scarves in place around purse handles. Soooooo I don't need more pearls. I can't even justify more pearls. ;( The square would have worked better though!

It’s funny I also keep thinking about a chunky signet ring with the square mabe too!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A chunky signet ring would totally work. It'd be chunkalicious :cool2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s funny I also keep thinking about a chunky signet ring with the square mabe too!

Gahhhh! Such a good idea.

Sadly I dont really use scarves, but a lovely idea!

I asked F about the 2 mabes from you video (I'm curious about his overall impression). We will see, but I couldn't help asking!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here’s something I’ve been wondering.

Why does the farm not harvest in winter like all pinctada species? Winter => cooler water => slower deposition of tighter nacre => better luster. Is pteria different?
Or is there maybe some summer colour improvement that's prioritzed over the winter luster improvement?
Something else?

Sent another email, will update when I get something to share :))

Last edited:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve been visiting the SoC website since…well, since Yssie first posted her gorgeous bracelet! This AA square mabe used to tempt me and I finally bought it last week. I have absolutely no idea how I’ll set it! The colours are stunning in person and I’m a sucker for geometric - I know a square pearl wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea :lol:. (I also scooped up the blister pearl and am equally clueless about plans for that, but arguably there’s merit in consistency?!)

F7BBB008-D546-48CB-9DAD-74025FFD456D.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been visiting the SoC website since…well, since Yssie first posted her gorgeous bracelet! This AA square mabe used to tempt me and I finally bought it last week. I have absolutely no idea how I’ll set it! The colours are stunning in person and I’m a sucker for geometric - I know a square pearl wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea :lol:. (I also scooped up the blister pearl and am equally clueless about plans for that, but arguably there’s merit in consistency?!)

Omggggg that square is incredible

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You already know what I think - but seeing a bigger version of this pic than on my phone just makes me salivate even more :love: They're both beautiful but the colour play on that square is sublime :love: :love: :love: :love:

Oh my goodness. I like the square-ishness, too. It's charming in its unexpectedness!! I think the teardrop will be likely easier to set, though... The square would make such an amazing clasp!! I don't suppose you have any Really Big Beads that you need to string with the fanciest clasp ever? :lol:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The square would make such an amazing clasp!! I don't suppose you have any Really Big Beads that you need to string with the fanciest clasp ever? :lol:
Oooh, a statement clasp is a great idea! I like strands worn with an off-centre clasp. I also like the idea of a (wide?) bangle of some description, but I get on better with bracelets generally so I’d need to be careful about fit, shape, width, etc. It will certainly be no hardship playing with it while I wait for inspo and save a budget, however!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
93BEEA29-C80E-4360-93EC-2BD54E7C2969.jpeg
8C283D2A-3807-42D0-8381-5FE1D52141D4.jpeg

I took my bracelet apart - it’s dark and I don’t have the real camera, but I gotta share the big ol’ pile o’ Cortez pearlies anyway :love:

Newbies are the bigs :cool2:
FDFF3837-4891-467E-91DB-EB2E67A32182.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
93BEEA29-C80E-4360-93EC-2BD54E7C2969.jpeg
8C283D2A-3807-42D0-8381-5FE1D52141D4.jpeg

I took my bracelet apart - it’s dark and I don’t have the real camera, but I gotta share the big ol’ pile o’ Cortez pearlies anyway :love:

Newbies are the bigs :cool2:
FDFF3837-4891-467E-91DB-EB2E67A32182.jpeg

That honkin’ greenish pearl…do I see purple, blue, copper and green?

Whatever it is, it’s insanely gorgeous. I see why you had to squeeze her in! Sorry, I can’t help but have favorites!

Oh boy oh boy I can’t wait to see it in on of your meticulous photo shoots

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS Pearlies!
Can I get some opinions?
Here are all the pearls that I've got to play with right now...

Looking glorious here in this white pouch that might be the best fake-lightbox I've got here :cool2::lol:
SOC_BUNCH1.png

Kind of sunshine... You know when the sun dips behind a cloud for just a moment, and it's still bright but the shaft of direct sunlight is gone?
SOC_BUNCH2.png

And then the sun came out from behind the cloud...
SOC_BUNCH3.png

Here they are in the shade. This is where they shine of course!
SOC_BUNCH4.png

Do either of these lineups jump out as better? I know it's hard because they're not arranged in exactly the same circle shape... But let me ask here before I redo everything...

SOC_LINEUP1.png
SOC_LINEUP2.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
PS Pearlies!
Can I get some opinions?
Here are all the pearls that I've got to play with right now...

Looking glorious here in this white pouch that might be the best fake-lightbox I've got here :cool2::lol:
SOC_BUNCH1.png

Kind of sunshine... You know when the sun dips behind a cloud for just a moment, and it's still bright but the shaft of direct sunlight is gone?
SOC_BUNCH2.png

And then the sun came out from behind the cloud...
SOC_BUNCH3.png

Here they are in the shade. This is where they shine of course!
SOC_BUNCH4.png

Do either of these lineups jump out as better? I know it's hard because they're not arranged in exactly the same circle shape... But let me ask here before I redo everything...

SOC_LINEUP1.png
SOC_LINEUP2.png

I prefer the 2nd, but I’d be inclined to shift one of the deeper / warm toned pearls on the right to break of trio of light cool toned pearls on the right. That might not be possible with the graduated sizing.

Possibly…

D8628E74-090A-42B5-8850-360E6A23CA62.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup. Let me change that. Agree.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here they are again, arranged similarly. Excuse the paper hackjob... I'm at the wrong house... SOC2-1.png SOC2-2.png

@Cerulean I agree that trio of light needs to be broken up more. I've got these five in different sizes and shapes and I'm trying to pick the two that work best in the lineup...
88810C28-F302-4515-833E-1F393FA57123.jpeg

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So here they are again, arranged similarly. Excuse the paper hackjob... I'm at the wrong house... SOC2-1.png SOC2-2.png

@Cerulean I agree that trio of light needs to be broken up more. I've got these five in different sizes and shapes and I'm trying to pick the two that work best in the lineup...
88810C28-F302-4515-833E-1F393FA57123.jpeg

Oooh you’ve got nice options.

My eye is drawn to v1 based on the balance of color, but the big purply green one being slightly closer to the center in v2 is deeply satisfying…tricky

overall v1 seems more balanced. I think my interest in v2 is heavily biased by my adoration of the big purply one and wanting her to be CENTER STAGE haha

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Actually the more I look, now I’m liking v2

the graduation of these is stunning

DA714539-46B6-416A-991A-AEB6D0099203.jpeg

But for some reason wondering if the silver needs to be up against one of these two on the right somehow

9E5F6A7D-F5C3-4F7F-930C-D2935893096B.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts? (I tried to balance light and dark better)

SOC3.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this best too. The graduation isn’t the greatest, but I like the shapes and colours best. I think I’ll string this up and see how it does. The 15 pearls in the original bracelet made it too long, but I didn’t have the right sizes to jump down to 14 - I think this lineup works with the even number of pearls!! Oh but let me get a B&W profile first!! @Cerulean thank you for the eyes!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results