shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy thread with toddlers 12-36 months

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Burk
Bummer about your EDD being passed back for a week. Glad the little bean is doing well.
You are one busy mama for the summer.
Yeah it would''ve been nice to know the connection beforehand. Oh well. We had M''s second lesson this past Sat, but she wasn''t enjoying it as much. We''ll see how she do next week. And I need to sign her up for another session.

Puffy
Aww what a sweet DH you have. Enjoy your new purse.
Just a few more weeks before you find out the sex of baby #2. Does B want a brother or sister?

lili
So cute that J is done with her "baby" food. M never liked the yo baby yogurt, but she always want to eat ours. Lately she hasn''t been wanting to eat her porridge. DH was giving me a hard time and said it''s b/c I give her too much restaurant food when we are out. It actually doesn''t bother me too much b/c eventually she should be eating what we are eating.
I bet it''s cute to hear J say no, but not so easy for you.

MrsS
Glad Jake did well with the car ride.
Looking at Jake pic, I don''t think he looks small at all. I think sometimes people just don''t remember how big their kid was at that age.

Diva
James is long and lean. Yay for unassisted steps and eating puffs on his own.
Sorry about your leg. I thought it was getting better. What caused the problem (sorry if you mentioned it before)?

NF
M had been in a convertible car seat since birth, so I think you can switch your boys whenever you feel they are outgrowing their infant seat.
BTW not all Britax car seats have the "wings" for the head rest. The "wings" are actually side impact protection for your babies/toddlers. So it is a safety thing.

Janine
Yay for C pulling/standing up.
Yup like other said, 1 year and 20lbs is the minimum for forward facing, but rear facing is recommending for as long as possible.

Tgal
LOL... car seat nazi. I think it''s great that you are reminding us why it''s important to be rear facing as long as possible. I keep telling DH that. He can''t wait for M to be front facing b/c he thinks it''s easier. Well not for a long while.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gals, Q for ya...

Anyone else''s kid sweat a lot while sleeping? We don''t dress Amelia in anything arm, but her head is always sweaty. It was always sweaty in the infant carseat too. I think the mattress probably makes her sweat because of the waterproof material. If anyone is having the same issue, did you find something that works well? She doesn''t seem fussed by it but I hate that she''s so damp after a nap!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 10:40:22 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Gals, Q for ya...

Anyone else''s kid sweat a lot while sleeping? We don''t dress Amelia in anything arm, but her head is always sweaty. It was always sweaty in the infant carseat too. I think the mattress probably makes her sweat because of the waterproof material. If anyone is having the same issue, did you find something that works well? She doesn''t seem fussed by it but I hate that she''s so damp after a nap!

T-Gal, I don''t know if this will help or not, but every baby I ever saw, their head was always wet. nieces, nephews, my grandboys, etc. I agree, it is probably the waterproof mattresses.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Tal--i am going to get my carseat checked again. And my MIL''s. My MIL keeps asking if she can fwd face now b/c he is 23 lbs, so i''ll have to show her the vid.

MrsS.--i know Co would be better behaved facing fwd b/c i think he''s going to break his neck some day trying to see what i am doing--but like Amelia, he doesn''t really know the difference so i;ll torture him for a few more months
27.gif
--definetly see how that would be harder with sibs.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
TGal, Chloe is a sweater too. The car seat is the worst, but sometimes the crib as well. There''s nothing we''ve been able to do about the car seat (was hoping upgrading to the bigger one would help, but doesn''t sound like it did for you)--but with the crib, we just try to keep the room cooler with a good breeze or a/c and thin blanket and very little on. I notice she sweats the most in the afternoon nap when the room is the hottest (with the sun). The thing is it''s so against my instinct b/c I want to bundle her up, especially since I tend to sleep with tons of blankets! But she always ends up kicking all the blankets away and then has a dry head, so seems to be the only thing that works..

I did ask my pedi and she just said it''s totally normal (no suggestions). Like to hear what others have to say

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
burk you are busy, busy, busy!!! YAY for the little one being a-ok!! funny thing is that this week, i really started to pop, some doe to bloat, i''m assuming. but there is no question about it, you can definitely tell that i am preggo. we went to an extended family function and everyone asked if i was preggo.

tgal B''s head is ALWAYS sweaty, which is totally normal i''m thinking since every single child i know has sweaty heads when they sleep. i dress B in regular 2 piece pjs and in the morning when i see him, sometimes he is missing his shirt and i ask him what happened, and he will tell me that he got hot so he took it off.

lili OUCH, those molars are a PITA for sure!! glad that J is back to her old self. she''s not even close to 20 lbs? you have such a petite little gal! after i opened my gift from DH, i was too excited to get back in bed, so i stayed up and put all my stuff into the new bag. haha.

mrsS hope the car ride home went well.

qt i know, 2.5 more weeks until the big ultrasound. i am so excited. i still can''t believe that i am 16 weeks already, but i feel like i am. haha. B says he wants either a puppy still or a brother since most of his play buddies are boys cause most of the kids we know his age are boys, and he says he wants to play with cars and trains and not dolls. how are you feeling? at the age that M is now, we were giving B what we were eating, so don''t feel bad at all, and when we went out to eat, he ate restaurant food. heck, you ask him what he wants to eat for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, he will most likely tell you pizza for all 3 meals. haha. not just any pizza, pizza from this certain place ONLY.

B is 19 months, and i switched him to forward facing when he was about 13 months. honestly, he was screaming bloody murder every time he got into the car, so i switched him around and he''s been loving it since. i know that is no good reason to switch him, but it got to the point where he would fight me every time and say no to going out and car rides, and i was not going to drive with a screaming toddler in the car. things are much better now esp since we have DVD player in the car as well. i would have loved to keep him rear facing for 18 months cause of all the research and videos, but i really couldn''t. and he was so tall that he was getting super squished.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Linda and Janine!

Janine, the big carseat was a HUGE help. She never sweats in her britax. So it must be heat related, but her room is cool and I put her in a light thin cotton sleepsack and a short sleeved onesie.
33.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
good to hear the britax is a help tgal. I think it must be heat related too, but some of it just seems natural and unavoidable. I put C in a short sleeve onesie as well and a thin blanket on top. Blanket gets kicked off and then she seems happy. I always wake up and put the blanket back on. A/C seems to help too.

speaking of onesies, how do you all manage to get them on without a battle? Maybe it's just me, but C HATES it, especially the last arm--she fights me and back arches!

ordered my giddy giddy barret (only got one to start!), and I'm giddy waiting for it
emsmile.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
tgal-she probably is just a hot sleeper. I''m not sure there is really anything else you can do and I probably wouldn''t worry if it doesn''t seem to bother her at all. Jake just sleeps in pj''s, no sleep sack or anything so maybe you could try letting her sleep without it and see if that makes a difference?? but, my guess is it really won''t, that she''d get hot no matter what.

puffy-only 2 weeks until your big US? wow, your pregnancy is flying by...of course that''s easy for me to say since I''m not the one preggo. My second pregnancy seemed to fly by b/c I was so busy with my first that I just didn''t have time to think but when I was preggo with Jake, boy it seems forever. thank goodness for all you gals here keeping me sane.

janine-yes, it''s a struggle getting Jake dressed and into just about anything. he is starting to get it and will help by putting his arm through a sleeve or something but if I have to lay him down to snap a onsie he twists and turns and tries to get away.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for everyone''s input on the sweaty sleep issue!

Puffy, have to say, you are tiny. Why I can''t be an asian woman like you and QT? I still have every pound I left the hospital with! And whoo hoo on the chanel!

Jas and MrsS, I won''t have any 15 month stats for you because the appointment was never made, so her 15 month appt will actually be at 16.5 months. This child is freakishly tall, even on the boy''s charts! I only know this because she is tracking exactly the same height as my friend''s son (who is 5.5 months older) and at all his appointments, he was 95th percentile, which means she is as well! It''s really bizarre seeing this really tall kid crawl around everywhere and seeing petite babies running. She won''t take a step on her own. Loves walking while holding my one finger, but as soon as I try and let her hand go, her knees buckle and she tries to sit down.

MrsS, to answer your question on the 10K gift - I have no idea yet. I wasn''t expecting the gift, to be honest, so I never looked for ideas beforehand. It''s a nice surprise and I am sure I will figure out what to spend it on! I haven''t even looked on WF''s site yet...I should go take a look-see!

Curly, it doesn''t surprise me your girls were so good on the drive to DC!

Jas, the power of no, hahaha. He''s so smart to know he was tricked! I''ll have to see if you have any vids of him saying no.
1.gif
Amelia just shakes her head. She is not speaking well yet at all. I think she''s confused with all the different languages, so she gestures a lot. I was finally able to teach her the sign for please, but she''s not all that good at it. She just thumps her chest with both palms.

Burk, good to see ya around...bummer about the due date adjustment. You might have a v-day baby though! That''s great she is on a one nap schedule now!

Diva, I hope your leg feels better soon. James is such a cutie.

Bobo, I feel your pain. Amelia learned that teeth clamped shut trick a long time ago. Now I can''t even get in to brush her teeth (and she used to love having them brushed). I will tell you one thing that I have learned with my own kid - they WILL eat when they are hungry. One of the best things I did with her is just let her be when she doesn''t want to eat. I don''t want to forcefeed her because toddlers are at a stage where they really want to have control over their own bodies. If she refuses to eat, I take her out and let her play and try again later. I do not give her snacks in between. She has to sit in her high chair and eat. Some days she may go on a strike longer than others, but she DOES end up eating. I''m thinking this weekend that I am going to put her on a bottle strike too. She can have her milk (which she loves) but in a sippy only (which she doesn''t love.) I''m a little nervous to try it because she doesn''t eat as well as I would like, but I gotta start somewhere.

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
TGal, Little B will get so hungry that his knee is wobbly and his hands are cold but the kid just won''t let us feed him. Plus with his weight gain issue...*sigh*

little B gets super sweaty when he sleep or nap. We usually put him in PJ and wearable blanket. But on days that are really hot we just wrap something on his stomach and no pants.

lili

Ideal_Rock
TGal--
J's a sweaty one too.
We usually put her in a thin short sleeve onesie to sleep.
And on nights that are exceptionally hot, we'll put her in a sleeveless t-shirt.
I usually don't cover her w/ anything since every time I put a thin sheet over her, her legs will get working and kick it off (even in her sleep).
We also keep the fan on as well.
She'll toss and fuss whenever I turn it off.

Janine--
Haha, it used to be a battle putting the onesie on J too.
Now I just let her have her moment of nekkidness after her bath and she's so much more cooperative w/ the diaper and onesie.
36.gif
for the giddy clip. Which one did you order?

Puffy--
You are too cute w/ your bag.....like a little kid on christmas morning!
That's what my sister said too.
My nephew would scream and fuss in a car ride too until they switch him over.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Carseats - we have a Evenflo Symphony for James and he''s been it for a while. He''s 1 and is almost 26lbs and still faces backwards, even though he''s tall. We''re keeping him that way because we feel it''s the safest way for him to ride. Our secondary carseat is a Britax Roundabout and it''s also rear-facing in whatever car it happens to be in
3.gif

Things are crazy around here with everything. Unfortunately, one of my co-workers'' husband passed away unexpectedly over the weekend so we are planning on attending the showing and funeral. It''s very sad as he was only 45 and left behind his loving wife and two small children.
39.gif

I think Q asked about my leg - I had a blood clot and found out yesterday that my calf muscles are basically permanently contracted from non-use and injury. I will be seeing a physical therapist 3x a week for at least a month. After the doc thinks I should be able to start walking on it again.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 3:01:41 PM
Author: Bobo ^__*
TGal, Little B will get so hungry that his knee is wobbly and his hands are cold but the kid just won''t let us feed him. Plus with his weight gain issue...*sigh*

little B gets super sweaty when he sleep or nap. We usually put him in PJ and wearable blanket. But on days that are really hot we just wrap something on his stomach and no pants.
Bobo, have you thought about taking little B to occupational therapy? If he is hungry and still refuses to eat, you may have to work through some things with him. I am so sorry to hear that.

lili, Amelia''s sleep sack is a comfort thing...she has a hard time sleeping without it, but I''ll reevaluate depending on how hot it gets. Sometimes I just put her in the sleep sack with just a tank on.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am back ladies! Feels great even though it is only for a few weeks. We drove straight through. It took us 11.5 with stops (b/c we were towing a double trailer we went through SO much gas. Annoying!) Tessa only slept for 45 mins TOTAL. 20 mins around 2 pm and then the last 25 mins home. We got home at 10:30ish PM. She was clearly frustrated b/c she WAS tired. Maybe her Britax is not comfy. Not sure. She got super fussy at one point but cookies distracted her. My girl for sure! In hindsight I am glad we stayed the extra day. Tessa seems SO happy to be home. She was chasing the cats around and playing with all of her toys. Back to the gym tonight to try to work off the weight I gained from all these trips. I am hoping Tessa adjusts to our WI trip better than she was in Ohio.

Sorry I am so behind. Tessa is facing forward in her Britax but I really wish I had a different car (with captain''s chairs) so the seat would recline and I could get a car seat that ALSO reclined. She just cannot get comfortable. The neck pillow didn''t work but maybe when she is older. Still can''t believe I will have a two year old in a few months.

TGal, T does sweat too. Once her hair was soaked. We dress her in pjs (cotton) and her blanket never stays on. We also run her ceiling fan which seems to help.

Diva, hope your leg feels better soon. Loved J''s b-day photo!

Jas12, I like to play that game too. "Are you going to date before you are 30?" "NO!" "Do you love daddy more than me?" "NO!"

Burk, good luck with your car trip. A week is only a week. Maybe you will go a few days early and have a valentine''s day baby.

Curly, glad that your trip went well! How cute your girls get along so well!

MrsS, glad Jake is doing well. People think T is small too but she is 75% on the charts.
33.gif

Hi to everyone else!
35.gif

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
bobo sorry to hear about little B not eating. maybe let him experiment by trying to feed himself with utensils. he is eating what you guys are eating at home? it must be so frustrating for you guys esp with his weight being a problem already.

lili i feel bad that i didn''t keep him rear facing for as long as i wanted but seriously, it was getting way out of control. he would even scream on a 5 minute car ride. then i switched him forward facing and he was like a totally different kid. he even sleeps in the car now. haha.

mrsS this pregnancy is flying by for sure. it''s kinda sad though cause i haven''t really had a chance to embrace it and totally enjoy it. that is so cute that jake tries to help you get him dressed! when B first did that, i was like wow, kid you are smart. haha. things that moms have to look forward to.

tgal i''m sure amelia will start to walk when she''s ready. and i''m sure she has no problem getting around. she sounds like a tall one for sure! and i am not that tiny, trust me. haha, but thanks!

tacori glad you''re back! i can''t believe T only slept a total of 45 min total! that is crazy! she must have had plenty of snacks and toys to distract her for 11 hours!! definitely sounds like she is glad to be home.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Tacori--
Glad to have you back.
That must have been tough on you w/ T sleeping so little during the ride.
So cute that T misses home.
Isn''t it amazing how even when they are so little, they know that home is home?
J was like that too when we came home from our HI trip.
She walks around the living room and her eyes lit up at the sight of all her toys.
And when she went to our bedroom and saw her Nemo stuff animal, she''d squeal "momo" and gave it a hug and a kiss!
And her dad said that she doesn''t know that she''s home
20.gif

LOL...did you ask T that question in DH''s presence?

lili

Ideal_Rock
Puffy--
I know what you mean about the screaming.
We''ve resorted to bribing her w/ junk food.
She''ll twist her back and scream everytime we put her in the car,
but she''ll settle just long enough for us to buckle her in if she''s got some crunchies or kimi balls
20.gif

As much as I''d like to keep her rear-facing, we may change her over when she''s well into 20lbs -- maybe 22.
Right now, she''ll hit 20 if she pigs out that day
41.gif

When you have kids, time just zoomed past.
Just don''t forget to do those maternity pictures w/ B in them
5.gif

TGal--
A is tall...is she 33 inches now?
I think A will talk and walk pretty soon.
She looked and sounded like a very talkative one in that video!
Anyway, J was walking w/ holding my finger before she started walking on her own too.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
puffy, the dvd player and kids cds are LIFE SAVERS! She was up at 7:00ish am and didn''t go to bed until 10:30ish pm so it was a loooong day for all of us. My ILs even took her to the playground before we left to tire her out. I am shocked it didn''t work b/c I KNOW she was worn out.

lili, of course I ask her that in front of DH
2.gif
11.gif
12.gif
He just turns it around like "are you telling mommy the truth?" and she will shout "no!" Stinker.

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
hi everyone!
hope you are all well...

quick question for you on the carseat issue...
we have(and just installed) the britax marathon in my car for coby (who is already almost 9 months old...CRAZY). i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of a good 2nd car seat that is relatively easy to install/uninstall for traveling/dh''s car/my sitter''s car.

thanks!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Ok I really shouldn''t let this bother me, but it is. This is the FB status of a guy from my high school. It bothers me b/c of how judgmental these person are. None of them are even parents, so they don''t know how it is to care for a child. I almost feel like the last girl is saying I am a careless mom and shouldn''t have kid. I know it''s not for everyone, but it does serve a purpose for those who choose to use them. I am probably being over-sensitive, but I do think they serve a purpose for parents who use them and parents shouldn''t be judge for using them. I am going to bother commenting to this status anymore, but just wanted to vent.

(Guy from High School): thinks its crazy how some parents have leashes for their child, wtf dood!

(his friend #1): i hate seeing those
7.gif

(Guy from High School): I''m glad u don''t that, haha

(Me): Hmmm it''s not a leash.
Maybe you''ll understand when you have a baby who is running around and might be in dangerous of getting hurt or worse.

(his friend #1): Yeah I would never use that on the kids.

(his friend #2): i actually saw a pretty cute one. it''s a monkey backpack that hte kid wears and the leash is the tail of the monkey. kinda cute! lol.

(his friend #3 who is also from my High School)
Totally agree! If you''re so careless that you can''t watch over your own kid, you shouldn''t be having kids in the first place. If anything its for lazy parents.
Write a comment...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Q, as evidenced in my recent FB album I have used a baby harness. In a way they are right. I CANNOT control my child. BUT I would bet money THEY wouldn''t be able to control her either. My kid is too independent, careless, risky, stubborn and most importantly *friendly* to always roam free. I only use it in crowded places b/c she is (at times) faster than me and will run away. Once they have children they will (most likely) understand.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Actually everything before the last comment wasn''t so bad. I guess, as a mom, I know that you can be the most careful and watchful parent, and there will still be accidents. Things can happen so quick that you won''t have enough time to react.

You can call the harness a leash, whatever, but don''t go accusing people as being careless parents b/c they use a harness. KWIM.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Q, I agree. For me it is NOTHING about laziness but about dealing with the personality of my child. Not all child are quite as independent as mine. Being a parent is about being flexible and protecting your kid. I think that''s why harnesses are used.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Had to stop in to report that Co took 4 steps by himself today
36.gif
36.gif
....and i missed it
39.gif
. I''ve worked 2 days this month and of course it had to happen on the day i was on a summer excursion with my class
38.gif

He did a repeat performance at gramas when i went to pick him up, but not quite the same. Ah well, still pretty exciting.

Q, sounds like your FB friend needs to spend an afternoon with an 18 month old. Even the shy ones will dart off unexpectedly & with the most attentive of parents --it''s just what toddlers do. I got that monkey harness as a shower gift and i don''t have a kid that can run away yet, but if iam in a busy place or something i''ll be pulling it out!

Burried in house building stuff--DH and i spent 3 hours talking about windows tonight
24.gif
, behind on housework and everything else. Hope all are well!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoo hoo, go Co!
36.gif

lili, kids love their snacks, don''t they? I don''t think Amelia is 33 inches, but who knows. She does look like a 2 year old - at least that is what people say!

Re: leashes - I don''t think it''s even about controlling your kids. I''ve tried, but I swear, I cannot get one eyeball to go left and the other to go right. So since I can''t STARE at my daughter every second, I''m pretty sure some day I will need that harness. Just 3 days ago, I was at CPK with my friend (who has the son 5.5 mos older than Amelia. We got up to leave, and I took Amelia out of the highchair. My friend grabbed her bag, and then looked at me panicked and said, "Where''s [insert son''s name here]!" I''m like, how the heck do I know? But she had her eyes off him for all of 2 seconds. He was already at the far side of the restaurant.

Yeah, so call me a slack parent...I''ll take the insult knowing that I will be holding my child at night, thanks.

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
lili haha, J loves her snacks huh? i used to have to bribe B with snacks too, but he used to stop as he was eating them, then start crying bloody murder as soon as he finishes. now, as soon as the car door opens, he dashes right in and gets into his car seat. he even helps me buckle sometimes. i still can''t believe what a petite little thing she is. we already have our photographer for the maternity pics picked out. we''re going to use the same photographer we used for our wedding. i can''t wait to really get big just for the pics. haha.

tacori i know what you mean, the dvd player is such a life saver on long car trips. i consider long being 1.5-2 hours, let alone 11 hours, i would lose my mind!! i have got to find you on FB to see some of these T pics!! i know some day soon, i will have to get a harness for B, but i''m hoping that i won''t have to. i guess i''m still lucky that he is so afraid to lose me, he won''t go TOO far without me. when we go to the park, and he can''t see me, he will scream out "mommy, where are you?"

jas12 YAY for Co!!!! he will be walking all over the place before you know it! i really miss those wobbly step days, so cute!!

qt people really don''t know until they have kids. i was one of those naive people and used to think, heck how hard is it to take care of a child?!?! haha, little did i know right?? and it''s not even the same when you watch someone else''s child. unless you are with that child for most of the day and caring for him/her day after day, you really don''t know how it is at all. people will always have opinions.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Hey mommies! Just a quick one, don''t have time to catch up.

Just wanted to say yay for Co!!!
36.gif

And also report that T had her 18 mo appt. (I can''t believe she''ll be 18 months this week) and she was 34.5" tall (97th percentile) and 24 lbs (50 percentile). Tall and lean as usual.

Hope you''re all doing well. I hope to have some time to catch up with everyone tomorrow!!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Burk and Tgal--your girls are TALL. They would tower over my little shortie
5.gif

Puffy--Co took steps but i think he is still a long way from walking permanently. Weird thing is, he doesn''t really stand on his own yet. He''s very cautious and seems like he is scared to stand independently. Maybe he''ll skip that step, but i think yesterday was a fluke.
Can''t WAIT to see your maternity shots (when that happens). I have decided i''ll do those too. for some reason the addition of a prop (Cohen) makes then less frightening to me--he''ll detract from me. I felt too awkward to go alone last time.

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
TGal, will bring this up at little B''s 18 months check up to see what the pedi say.

Tacori, I can''t believe Tessa only slept for 45 mins total. Thank god for the cookies.

Puffy, we let him feed himself with utensils, but he just use the spoon to play with the food
and when he is done playing he''ll just throw everything on the floor. He is eating pretty much what
we eat, I''m just concern with his weight. Everyone said he look like a lollipop...

QT, tell your friends to wait until they have kids and come talk to you again.
Like with preggo subject, I will tell man that if no uterus then no talk. Same thing apply to kids subject, no kids no talk. Plus, little B love his elmo leash.

Jas12, yay on Co took 4 steps, soon you have run to catch him.

Hi Burk, Tayva is such a tall girl! How you feeling?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results