shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy thread with toddlers 12-36 months

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Janine, ultimately I would LOVE to work in a rehab center that stresses the importance of family therapy. I would love to use play therapy with the children of addicts b/c it really effects everyone and anything in its path. Addiction is a tricky beast like that. Maybe one day I will go back for the certificate. I think it is only 5 courses.

PJ, thanks! It feels good to get positive feedback. Happy early birthday!!!! We got T's winter jacket from Gymboree. Land's End also has nice ones. I got a lighter jacket from there for her.

DD, it has always felt worth the work. I love what I am learning/doing.

Nothing new with me. I went to the mall (scary) and couldn't find ANYTHING I was looking for. Online shopping is so much nicer! Next week is my last week of the semester and I am SOOOO excited for my 3 week break!!!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Hey moms! Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. PJ, I was thinking of you today. How are PJ and Axel?

NovemberBride|1291826315|2791016 said:
DD -My friend's little boy has also outgrown the PNP and she got some sort of blow-up bed with rails that she uses at her mom's house. I will try to find out exactly what it is and post a link. I know she's been really happy with it.

NB, if you found the link can you post for me too? She hasn't outgrown the pnp yet but I've been wondering what we would do if she did.

Hope everyone is well. Nothing much here. Sophia has her vcug to check if she still has the urinary reflux tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to it. When she was younger it was easy to distract her from the cath but now it's awful. Should be interesting.

PenelopeJane

Shiny_Rock
Sabine, you should post a pic of Jacks in the hoodie. I'm a sucker for babies/toddlers in hats esp since A won't keep one on for more than 2 seconds. Where in FL are you? We're smack in the middle so it never gets that cold but I'm a wimp and need multiple layers to keep warm. Went to Old Navy per your suggestion to check things out and ended up buying their heaviest jacket for P. It was on super sale and they even had it in her fav color, RED. Thanks!

Tacori, thank you!! I'm feeling old but I guess having 2 little ones will do that. I forgot about Gymboree...but definitely wanted to avoid the mall at all costs. The one closest to us is pretty ghetto and the nice mall is ridiculous in December. The highway exit for the mall is always miles long and then finding parking is impossible! So we ended up going to Old Navy and getting a suitable jacket. YAY for 3 week break! That must feel so good to be done for now. Break out the bubbly!

Fiery, hi! Thanks for thinking of us! P is doing wonderfully esp at school. She's at the top of her class and has major homework going on right now! In addition to the regular HW the rest of the class gets, she has a book assignment every 2 weeks where she's required to read a chapter each day and answer questions. At the end of this 2 weeks, she is to write 8-10 sentences summarizing the book. Last month it was 5-7 sentences and the month prior was 3-5 sentences. So, it's getting more challenging for her but she is enjoying it I think! Mr. Axel is doing well also, still has a small vocabulary but it's getting better each month. Understands a ton and can point out certain letters of the alphabet when asked so he's progressing and growing at a normal rate I think! This is a trying age, though. Testing boundaries (and me) by the day. Anyway, I'm so sorry Sophia has to go through the cath again. Fingers crossed that it comes back negative for urinary reflux. ((HUGS))

Anybody doing Christmas cards this year? I was busy as well as plain lazy and didn't have a photo session for the cards. Just picked out photos we already had on the computer. Axel is IMPOSSIBLE to take a good picture of these days. When we are outside (best lighting) he is always too distracted looking at the ants, birds, sky, plane, clouds, wind to look anywhere in my direction. So the best picture of him I chose for the card didn't even have him smiling but he did have an "innocent, but i'm definitely up to something" look on his face which is so HIM.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1291764996|2790316 said:
Tacori great news on your review! Does it feel more worth the work now? ::)

Question Any tips for helping a toddler sleep when you are travelling and staying somewhere new? Also, any tips for travel beds that are bigger than a PNP? Hunter is a little big for his and I think it is not helping matters at all.

We have the Baby Bjorn Travel Lite Crib which is a bit easier to lug around and apparently is good for toddlers. However most of the time I let C stay in the bed with us (or me when I travelled alone)..it's easier! When it's just me, I put a bed rail up on the other side of the bed.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
janinegirly|1291998507|2793265 said:
Dreamer_D|1291764996|2790316 said:
Tacori great news on your review! Does it feel more worth the work now? ::)

Question Any tips for helping a toddler sleep when you are travelling and staying somewhere new? Also, any tips for travel beds that are bigger than a PNP? Hunter is a little big for his and I think it is not helping matters at all.

We have the Baby Bjorn Travel Lite Crib which is a bit easier to lug around and apparently is good for toddlers. However most of the time I let C stay in the bed with us (or me when I travelled alone)..it's easier! When it's just me, I put a bed rail up on the other side of the bed.

Gah I would totally do that but Hunter will not sleep with us, little wierdo.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
For those looking for travel beds, someone on the thebump posted that the Aerobed Kids is great because it has raised sides. That sounded awesome, and I just looked it up, and it isn't quite what I was imagining, but it might be worth looking into. I recently slept on an adult Aerobed and it was AWESOME, so much better than any other air mattress I've ever slept on!

http://www.amazon.com/AeroBed-Sleep-Away-Inflatable-Kids/dp/B00006IV33

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, it finally happened...T got her first ear infection. We had a good run. Luckily she got it now and should be taken care of when we fly in 3 weeks. How horrible to see your child in so much pain. Very helpless feeling.

Well, I have an exam on Tuesday that I haven't started studying for. Instead I decided cleaning my house was more important :rodent: Distractions are powerful! Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Poor T, hope she feel better soon - we've yet to experience that but I remember my brother having a terrible time with them. Congratulations on your assessment btw and good luck for the exam!

Warm clothing - it's freeeezzzzing here and D only has spring/autumn weight coats, I wanted something warm but not too bulky. In the end I got a snowsuit from Baby Gap. It's filled with real down so it's light, not bulky and very warm. Cost an arm and a leg but I bought it a year older than D and as she's just grown out of 4-6 month sleepsuits at 18 months she should fit it next year as well.

AFM/ Had a bit of a row with the child psychotherapist this week. Because I am worried about Daisy's blood tests they are convinced that I am stressy about her eating. I have tried and tried to explain that yes, I am worried that my child doesn't eat but ONLY because of the test results and not wanting her to have B12 shots every week. However I am NOT worried that she doesn't eat and I don't make a fuss about it. The food is put in front of her and I don't care if she plays with it, eats it or totally ignores it. There is no cajoling, threatening, pleading or game playing - it's totally up to her. They just seem to be convinced that I am taking the not eating as an attack by Daisy against me or something. Eugh!

My parents came over today to pick up all the baby stuff Daisy has grown out of for my sister who is due in 3 weeks. Was a tad sad to put the co-sleeper up to show them how to do it... seems like yesterday when I put it up to get it ready for Daisy's arrival.

Sister's current bf is a carpenter and has super-duper new tools so she is going to get him to make all the tricky bits of the cornicing that need replacing on the half-tester doll bed I bought Daisy. It was an eBay find and is a restoration project - my father had a look today and reckons that it is Victorian. It's a good size: 22" x 14" x 16". It needs stripping back, new pieces made for the architrave and the headboard, complete re-varnish and re-polish, new webbing and then I want to make a proper striped ticking mattress with buttons like the victorian ones, cotton sheets with antique lace edging, an eider-down and curtains for the tester. I'm so excited to do it. When I was a teenager my parents bought my sister a massive old dollshouse and every evening when she had gone to bed the three of us had it on the kitchen table putting in the wallpaper (I got landed doing the hallway and stairs which was a nightmare), tiling the floors with mini-tiles and floorboards, sewing carpets and cushions, putting in proper working lights and getting it all ready for Christmas. It was such fun.

The bed has been made using lots of different pieces of wood that must have been used in cupboards, chairs etc and whoever did it original put a lot of care into it and it must have been played with a lot - the webbing has been patched in many places. I rather like the idea that it was made by a father for his daughter rather than being a piece bought ready-made from a shop. It also means that I don't mind Daisy playing with it as any dents or scratches will just add to the character rather than ruining some priceless antique.

Here's a photo of it in it's rather sorry current state:

bed 1.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora, 3 years w/o a single one was pretty good. Now that she is in school full time I guess it was bound to happen. She is not acting sick at all anymore. Once she got some pain med and first dose of antibiotic she is acting completely normal. We have to mix the med in apple juice. She doesn't normally get juice at home so this is quite the treat for her!

I can skip the exam and still get a B (not that I would EVER do that) so the pressure is off. I have to get 50% for an A. :read:

Darling bed! She will love it!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, that is a GORGEOUS antique doll bed!!!!!!

I get SO excited when I see little dolls and all those tiny accessories because I cannot wait to PLAY WITH THEM AGAIN!!!! I can't wait to play with tea sets and all that princess stuff!!!! Squeeeee!!!! But I never had a beautiful doll bed like the one you got for your little angel! She is a lucky one!!!!

It's beauuuuutiful! :appl: :love: :appl: A princess bed fit for your little princess! Wow, what a nice gift! She'll probably keep that forever.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the bed suggestions. Seems like there just are not many options out there. An inflatible bed seems like a very bad idea with my crazy monkey of a son. He would likely pop it or spend the whole night bouncing on it ::) Maybe when he is 4-5. For now I think we will see if there is a crib perhaps. And we will be looking into getting a suite so we can actually have lights on after 7:30pm :rolleyes:

pandora love the bed! Tacori, good luck on your exam!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Hi toddler mamas!

Just dropping in to leave a quick pic of Dalila at her birthday get-together last week Saturday - sampling piece of birthday cake.

dyummycakeDSCN1096_010.JPG

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
PJ, I buy online. I hate the mall too.

Pandora, poor thing has a UTI. Luckily she is already on an antibiotic. Poor thing. She gets so upset when she has an accident.

Sha, so cute!

DD, thanks. I did well on it. Sorry I don't have traveling bed suggestions. We always got a crib from the hotel or brought our p'np.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Tacori!

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
hi mommies!! it's been so quiet lately. how's everyone doing? hope all is well with you and the kids!!

sha, D is so pretty!!!

we just got back from disney world with the kids. had a blast even though it was freezing on some nights. everyone had such a wonderful time and the 6 hour flight was not that bad with B and N.
my not so little N is 1 tomorrow. where did the time go? i swear just a few months ago, i was adjusting to having 2 kids and now, in another few months, i'll be try to adjust to having 3 kids. CRAZY!!

take care mommies!!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say that my little Jacob turned 1 today... :-o I hope to be able to post here from time to time!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
It's great to have you over, anchor!

puffy - thanks!

Did I get you correct that in the next few months you'll have a newborn and an almost 1 year old? Wowza!! :razz: Any anxieties about handling the 3 at once?

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
sha, yes...B will still be 3, N will be about 16 months, and a newborn. it's definitely going to be quite the ride!

anchor, happy belated 1st birthday to your little man!!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
puffy - wow! major props to you! Seems like you've been doing a great job so far balancing the two, so hopefully going to 3 won't be so bad. :))

Just wanted to ask a quick question to everyone about PPAF : Were your postpartum periods irregular or regular after giving birth?

It's been 6 weeks since I had my last PPAF (on NOvember 13). I'm just wondering whether I should be concerned, or whether it's normal for periods to be irregular after giving birth. I've been trying to practice the fertility awareness method and avoid during the fertile times, but it's a bit challenging since I've been having fertile mucus over the last 3 weeks - so I'm not sure if I've ovulated yet or not. I'm also breastfeeding 1-2 times a day (in the process of weaning), so I believe that that might be having an effect as well. DH and I have DTD unprotected a few times here and there (risky, I know :oops: ), during the suspected 'infertile' times.

Just wondering what everyone's experiences have been, especially if breastfeeding.... thx!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Question for all you amazing toddler mamas...DH and I are in the process of adopting and are considering adopting a toddler (probably a boy between the ages of 2 and 3 1/2). Do you find that you still use your strollers at this age?

We live in NYC and will probably use a Boba or Ergo to facilitate bonding and avoid using a stroller on the subway, but for long walks, days trips, etc. I wasn't sure if we'd want something besides the carrier.

If we did get a stroller it would probably be one or both of the following:

Light jogger: Bob Revolution or Bumbleride Indie
Light Umbrella: Volo or G-Luxe

If we just got one stroller and needed it for all around use we might consider the BJ Citi Mini...

Thoughts?

Also, do your little ones typically still use high chairs, or just booster seats, and do they sleep in a crib, toddler bed, or regular bed?

Thanks so much!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Bella-So excited foe you and DH!!!!!

Crib vs toddler bed-I would go with the bed. Chances are at 2.5-3, he'll know how to climb out of the crib. If he doesn't, he'll learn quick so the most you'll get is maybe 6-8 months? before you have to transition him. He's going to have to learn a whole new sleep routine on top of being in a new environment, might as well throw in the toddler bed.

We still use the booster but she does well sitting at the table in a regular chair. We use the booster because my rule is that as long as we can restrain her, we will :p It just makes meal time easier plus she can't reach the table yet. I suspect that when she can, we won't need it anymore. If you do go for one, maybe go for a booster seat.

I personally would absolutely get a stroller. It's a must have IMO, especially when you live in big/busy cities. I would go for a compact one rather than a Cadillac. Umbrella strollers can be inexpensive and so convenient to have.

Those are my thoughts. Please let us know of your progress!!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Sha! I love D and her high cheekbones! So beautiful that girl! I'm not much help unfortunately. I weaned S at 6 months, got my period at 5 months, and has been regular ever since.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much Fiery (more opinions are welcome too so don't be shy other mamas ;)) )!

It's great to know that your little peanut can sit in a chair but I totally hear you on keeping a munchkin restrained as long as possible :cheeky:

Since we're hoping to have more kids in the future, we're thinking maybe we'll get a convertible crib and use it as a toddler bed. A regular twin sized bed would take a lot of space in our little second bedroom. I think in the future we'll get twin bunk beds, but for now it'd be great to have the extra floor space and stick with a conv. crib/toddler bed...

We'll have a while to get all the gear/baby proofing straightened out since it takes several months for the court process, but it's fun to start thinking about, and is a nice destraction from the heavy discussions/decisions :cheeky:

I'll keep you posted...we're hoping to make a decision in the next week or so...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bella, we use our Volo when traveling b/c when she gets tired walking she wants to be carried which I am NOT okay with (she is heavy!) My kid is 3 and still in her crib but that is rare. I would just get your child a regular bed. You can always get those rails if you are worried but I think it would be a waste of money to get an expensive stroller, toddler bed, or crib. For eating she likes sitting on REAL chairs but we have a higher chair like this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90146456 she uses while home. Again, I wouldn't bother buying anything the child will out grow in a few months. Even if you have more children new stuff always comes out so I wouldn't bother with buying something, then having to store something, when and if another comes along. That is amazing you are willing to adopt an older child! Congrats!

ETA: I have a 3 year old.

Anchor! Happy first b-day to J!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So we are at my family's house. I felt so guilty b/c we left NC on the day when it snowed and ALL T wanted to do was play in it. Obviously she didn't get to but I figured there would be PLENTY of snow up north...ummm...not so much. She is, though, loving ALL of the attention she is getting from her aunt and uncle and grandparents. T is a huge ham so she snuggles, sings, dances, anything to get everyone smiling. I chopped her hair off, well not really, but it is just past her shoulders. Looks MUCH better.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone, thanks for the congrats! I may not be quite ready to talk about toddler beds, but I do have a question. Can babies go through a later phase of separation anxiety? Since yesterday, Jacob simply does not want to be put down (whether to sleep or just on the floor to play). He's 12 months now and didn't go through much of one before. So, what do I do?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bella_mezzo|1293771454|2810661 said:
Question for all you amazing toddler mamas...DH and I are in the process of adopting and are considering adopting a toddler (probably a boy between the ages of 2 and 3 1/2). Do you find that you still use your strollers at this age?

Hunter is 22 months and we use the stroller whenever we go out.

We live in NYC and will probably use a Boba or Ergo to facilitate bonding and avoid using a stroller on the subway, but for long walks, days trips, etc. I wasn't sure if we'd want something besides the carrier.
If your child is over 18 months, you might find that he does not like being in a carrier unless it is something he did as an infant. Heck, he might not like the stroller either ;)) Hunter really preffered to walk around then, but the stroller was easier to corral him in.

If we did get a stroller it would probably be one or both of the following:

Light jogger: Bob Revolution or Bumbleride Indie
Light Umbrella: Volo or G-Luxe

If we just got one stroller and needed it for all around use we might consider the BJ Citi Mini...

Thoughts?

I think if you will be using public transit then a small footprint is essential. We have the Baby Jogger City Mini and find it perfect as an all around stroller. It folds very easily with one hand, and the canopy is huge and it is comfortable for our son. The footprint is also tiny. I would not suggest a light jogger unless you will be jogging or going for a lot of really long walks over rougher terrain. The BOB has a really big footprint and would not really be practical if you will be in a city area with a high population density I imagine.

Also, do your little ones typically still use high chairs, or just booster seats, and do they sleep in a crib, toddler bed, or regular bed?
He uses a high chair but a booster would work fine too. He eats at the table either way, as our highchair pulls up to the table. He hates not eating with us, which the tray srt of causes. He is in a crib, and were I you I would get an inexpensive crib and nice mattress, knowing you will use the mattress in a toddler bed later. The crib really helps with sleep training. But you may cosleep for bonding, and in that case I would skip the crib all together. But if your child comes from an orphanage he will be used to being in a crib a lot and ignored, so it may be a good or bad thing to be in a crib again! Some of my very close relatives just adopted a baby girl from an orphanage in another country and were amazed how placid she was. I guess you never know. But I think my vote would be for a simple sturdy crib, you can use it later when you have more kids if it does not get a huge amount of use this time.
Thanks so much!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
anchor31|1294104606|2813674 said:
Hey everyone, thanks for the congrats! I may not be quite ready to talk about toddler beds, but I do have a question. Can babies go through a later phase of separation anxiety? Since yesterday, Jacob simply does not want to be put down (whether to sleep or just on the floor to play). He's 12 months now and didn't go through much of one before. So, what do I do?

I find that when Hunter is sick he becomes a real mommy suck. Maybe your J is teething? His desire to glom onto me really ebbs and flows with his development and his life experiences. I generally just roll with it and figure if he needs me then I will hold him. Do you have a comfortable baby carrier like the Ergo? I used it a lot when he was in that sort of mood.

Now that he is older sometimes when he wants to be picked up I encourage him to walk by himself and tell him big boys walk, but he is 22 months. At 12 months if he wanted up I just complied.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks DD. I have a carrier, but it's not as comfortable as I hear the Ergo is (I really have to look that up). It's a scarf-type carrier and I place him in it with his front facing mine, then shift him to my hip. At least I can get some stuff done.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
anchor31|1294245185|2814924 said:
Thanks DD. I have a carrier, but it's not as comfortable as I hear the Ergo is (I really have to look that up). It's a scarf-type carrier and I place him in it with his front facing mine, then shift him to my hip. At least I can get some stuff done.

At his age you and he might prefer something like a hip sling. I bought a Scoota Baby (can buy online in Canada) and it is awesome. Totally hands free and comfortable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results