shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
PG-Just a little tip. If you put the pump parts in the fridge you don''t have to wash for a few sessions. That''s what I do at work when I don''t have time to wash after I pump and at home when I know I''ll be pumping throughout the night. Also, what I love from Medela are the wipes for the pump parts. I use those too at work when I have time to wipe but not enough time to actually wash. I just wipe everything down and throw it into my bag for drying. It saves your sanity even if just a little.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Just popping in to say we (Tayva and I) LOVE all the pics!! Cuteness overload!! She still asks to see them and has even started asking to give the babies kisses!
9.gif
Keep ''em coming ladies!!
30.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
So many cute baby pics, Oh my!!

Mandarine: hang in there, the first few weeks/months are survival and that's all you can focus on. So you don't change out of your sweats, it's ok! And the pumping thing happened to me too! I felt guilty b/c my mom and DH wanted me to keep trying for the baby..but what could I do? I pumped non stop..seriously for like an hour every 2-3 hours..crazy! Some days I wasn't as disciplined, but come on...0.5-1 oz for 1hour of pumping? So I also gave up..I kept going for the measly 2oz each day for 2 months, but then it was formula 100%. Don't feel guilty. It'll make your life easier and your boys will be fine. I thought formula fed babies would be overweight and have poor immune systems, but not so. My little girl is a skinny minny and never been sick (well one fever 2 weeks ago, but not once in her first year of life).

As for DH, it's ok to voice a bit of resentment of him returning to life as usual. He's adjusting too but still--things like tennis seem a bit much. My DH helped a lot the first 2 weeks, cooked and took turns at night, but after that it was mostly me! Talk to him once things settle if he's not pulling his weight. With 2, you will need his help period.

MIL sounds like a nightmare, but hey at least she's helping. Mine was a no show!! Seriously it bugs me to this day. Not a card not a peep. So at least yours is making the effort but the clashes you're experiencing is very common. Everyone will find their role eventually (and hers is to not lecture you, but help!). DH's never see the subtle digs that some on their side might be making (you know how women are), but right now you can only focus on your boys and being around people who are helpful and supportive! Don't feel bad if you snap at someone to put them in their place!! Mama bear has to get things done whatever it takes.

Hope you check in again soon.
emsmile.gif

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 12:34:33 PM
Author: Burk
Just popping in to say we (Tayva and I) LOVE all the pics!! Cuteness overload!! She still asks to see them and has even started asking to give the babies kisses!
9.gif
Keep ''em coming ladies!!
30.gif

Ditto!
DD and I love seeing the babies.
They are all so cute!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Totally disgusted... Daisy has learnt to say Dada... and DH is soooooo happy that it was Dada before Mama
14.gif

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
aw Pandora! I''d be disgusted too
3.gif

Just tell DH that all babies say Dada before Mama, it really has nothing to do w/ him
2.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, I swear that I had read somewhere that babies can make the "d" sound much more easily than the "m" and that this is a very common occurrence.

So I was talking to my mom on the phone (I''m her clone, and we''re both very stoic), and I was like, yeah, everything''s going well, no, not really, sob, sob, sob, and she''s probably coming next week to help again. I kind of wish it could be sooner (I hope we won''t be on this crazy feeding/formula/pumping schedule a week from now) but I''m also glad to have a mom who''s there to help. Maybe that will be my job for Claire some 30 years from now.
1.gif

My mom had to wake me every three hours to feed me because I was 4.5 weeks early, but I was on formula, so how long did that take -- 20 minutes? Seriously, the whole process takes an hour and a half when I''m by myself. If I didn''t have to burp/change/maneuver the baby, I think I could get it done in an hour. Now I''m trying to be more careful with maintaining Claire''s latch and squeezing the dickens out of my boobs, so I can''t even get anything done while I''m feeding.

Sorry to be such a complainer. I''m just glad to know my mom can come help. For better or worse, my (local) MIL is not a help at all. She''s got serious boundary, judgment, and emotional issues and she would never ever volunteer to bring a meal, change a diaper, fold a towel, etc. All she wants to do is come over with hardly any notice, hold the baby, and tell stories about herself as a baby. I feel like now more than when Claire first came home is when we really need the help and I wish my mom were closer!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Blen, glad you arrived safely and are recovering! I soooo should have done our trip at bedtime, but Jacks had been sleeping so much better at night than during the day, and I was afraid of messing with his night sleep.

NYC - such cuties!

Neat - wow, what little men! So cute!

cdt - sorry to reply to this here, but I only use facebook to keep in touch with a few friends from where we used to live, but I didn''t want you to think I was ignoring you. I just can''t find time to keep up if I "friend" more than them, and then they yell at me!

Phoenixgirl, sounds like you are doing everything you should be, so I hope Claire continues to gain and bfing gets easier! I really feel you for how long everything takes. That is basically why I gave up, but I felt soooo guilty about it. Basically with how long it was taking me to do everything, both dh and I were up all night every night that first week, and then he had to go back to work and it was just impossible for us. I still really wish we had been able to bf, so I''m going to say "stick with it if you can" but if you can''t, know that that is okay too! Glad your mom will be able to help, but sorry she''s not coming sooner!

Fiery, sorry poor sophia is sick and you''re having supply issues! HOpe it resolves soon!

China, I just got a jumperoo for Jacks and although eh is too short, we put a big medical textbook under him and he loves it!

Tao, glad it''s getting easier!

Oh, my, Pandora! Mama will probably be soon!

As for us, we''re doing both great and not so great. Jacks is now laughing and smiling ALL THE TIME, which makes taking care of him all day much easier! He''s also gotten easier to put to sleep, however, he still wakes up after exactly 30 minutes if I put him down in the crib. But we''ve gotten into a pretty good schedule of me holding him for 2 naps during the day and him taking 2 catnaps in the crib.

However, his night sleep has started getting worse. He was going a consistent 6-7 hours between eatings, but now I''m lucky if I get 4. He''s eating more oz. overnight as well, and then during the day he''s stopped finishing some of his bottles. I think it''s a combo. of him not being hungry early in the morning,a nd then him getting easily distracted later in the afternoon. I''m planning on doing sleep training as soon as he''s 4 months now.

Did anyone other than Mela do sleep training? Did you use Ferber, or just basically let them CIO?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 6:54:56 PM
Author: Sabine
Blen, glad you arrived safely and are recovering! I soooo should have done our trip at bedtime, but Jacks had been sleeping so much better at night than during the day, and I was afraid of messing with his night sleep.

NYC - such cuties!

Neat - wow, what little men! So cute!

cdt - sorry to reply to this here, but I only use facebook to keep in touch with a few friends from where we used to live, but I didn''t want you to think I was ignoring you. I just can''t find time to keep up if I ''friend'' more than them, and then they yell at me!

Phoenixgirl, sounds like you are doing everything you should be, so I hope Claire continues to gain and bfing gets easier! I really feel you for how long everything takes. That is basically why I gave up, but I felt soooo guilty about it. Basically with how long it was taking me to do everything, both dh and I were up all night every night that first week, and then he had to go back to work and it was just impossible for us. I still really wish we had been able to bf, so I''m going to say ''stick with it if you can'' but if you can''t, know that that is okay too! Glad your mom will be able to help, but sorry she''s not coming sooner!

Fiery, sorry poor sophia is sick and you''re having supply issues! HOpe it resolves soon!

China, I just got a jumperoo for Jacks and although eh is too short, we put a big medical textbook under him and he loves it!

Tao, glad it''s getting easier!

Oh, my, Pandora! Mama will probably be soon!

As for us, we''re doing both great and not so great. Jacks is now laughing and smiling ALL THE TIME, which makes taking care of him all day much easier! He''s also gotten easier to put to sleep, however, he still wakes up after exactly 30 minutes if I put him down in the crib. But we''ve gotten into a pretty good schedule of me holding him for 2 naps during the day and him taking 2 catnaps in the crib.

However, his night sleep has started getting worse. He was going a consistent 6-7 hours between eatings, but now I''m lucky if I get 4. He''s eating more oz. overnight as well, and then during the day he''s stopped finishing some of his bottles. I think it''s a combo. of him not being hungry early in the morning,a nd then him getting easily distracted later in the afternoon. I''m planning on doing sleep training as soon as he''s 4 months now.

Did anyone other than Mela do sleep training? Did you use Ferber, or just basically let them CIO?
Sabine, I tried doing sleep-training right from the start with Daisy using EASY, but it wasn''t working well, she was getting upset, I was stressed and DH and I don''t ever want to leave her to cry for more than a few minutes. Instead, we decided to co-sleep and she''s STTN for the last week.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Sabine - no problem!

RE: sleep training...We did EASY from the very beginning (well started at 4 weeks). By 9 weeks he was STTN. We always did a "dream feed" though at 11:00pm. So he would go down at 6:00, we'd wake him up at 11:00, feed, he'd go right back down until 6:00 am. Somewhere around 4 months though, he started expecting that 11:00 feed and would wake on his own, in addition to waking at 4:00am to eat and go back down to 6:00am. I decided to humor him for about a month
9.gif
I tried to do CIO to at least eliminate the 4:00am, but I just couldn't do it. Lex would get so worked up that he would cough/choke and just be drenched in sweat (and that was only letting him cry for 5min!). I posted yesterday that I decided to do the gradual reduction of milk and as of late last week he's been consistently sleeping w/out a peep from 6:30pm - 6:00am.

I pretty much followed the book exactly in the beginning when I started. And then over time adapted to a routine that fit us better.

Good luck!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 4:39:56 PM
Author: Pandora II
Totally disgusted... Daisy has learnt to say Dada... and DH is soooooo happy that it was Dada before Mama
14.gif

Pandora-if it makes you feel better I HIGHLY doubt she actually knows she is saying Dada, KWIM? Babies don''t actually say their first words for the most part until a year old at least...so unless she says it only when DH appears-it''s likely babble. You have time!!!!
3.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 10:47:26 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 11/10/2009 4:39:56 PM
Author: Pandora II
14.gif

Pandora-if it makes you feel better I HIGHLY doubt she actually knows she is saying Dada, KWIM? Babies don''t actually say their first words for the most part until a year old at least...so unless she says it only when DH appears-it''s likely babble. You have time!!!!
3.gif
LOL, don''t worry she hasn''t a clue what she is saying - it''s all gobbledegook, but DH is still celebrating! He and I both spoke very early, so she make take after us but she''s a lot more mobile than either of us were at this stage so who knows - our mothers kept horribly detailed diaries so we can look up week by week, I haven''t been nearly so diligent...

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Quick driveby from me:

Uncle is doing well. I sent him a photobook of Des and my aunt called to thank me for it. She said he really enjoyed it.

MIL''s surgery is scheduled for Friday the 20th. My SIL is moving back from FL that week so she''ll be helping to watch Des after MIL''s surgery if she''s not up to it.

And just when you think the family''s got as many problems as it can bear, MIL told DH this morning when he dropped Des off that they just found out that our 17-year-old niece has been cutting herself.
8.gif
Her twin sister told their parents. From what DH said, they seem to think it''s because of a new friend she''s been hanging out with who''s a bad influence. I really hope it''s just a peer pressure situation because I think that would be much easier to fix. It''s really shocking because the other twin is the one who just broke up with a longterm bf and is all moody and teen angsty. The one who''s cutting is the one who''s usually happy and bubbly, gets awesome grades and just got accepted to her 1st choice college with a scholarship.

I have a history of depression that started in hs so I know that just because she seems happy it doesn''t mean everything''s ok. My heart is just aching for her right now.
8.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Night one of CIO

Hunter slept from 7pm until 1 am and then I nursed hum, but when he woke again at 3:30 I thought, "enough is ehough!" and we let him CIO. He cried for 1.5 hours off an on, crying for 15 minutes, then quiet for 10, then crying agine... it was terrible. Then he started crying for about 30 seconds and quiet for 5 minutes. Then I guess he fell asleep because the next thing I knew it was 7:30!

No turning back now. Hopefully tonight goes better, I will not be nursing him at all.

I was worried he would be upset this morning after all of that, but he seems fine!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Robbie I am so sorry about your family''s troubles! You are all in my thoughts.

Pandora Hunter says dada too! haha... no clue what it means of course, but DH still loves when he says it. We have baby book and I am trying to update it, but with the move it was hard.

CDT Thanks for the suggestion about weaning at night. I think the all or nothing approach is necessary with Hunter. We shall see!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
So obviously this feeding/pumping/formula every 3 hours is unsustainable. Last night I slept for 4.5 hours broken into three 1.5 hour chunks. There is no way I can keep this up for several more days.

So my sister helped me go over the facts to try to figure out what went wrong with Claire''s almost non-existent weight gain between weeks one and two, and all I can think is that she was spitting up a lot that week and it''s been better this week. Even though I was trying single-side feeding, I usually offered Claire the second breast after 20-30 minutes, and she usually took it for at least 10, so I don''t think it was the single-side feeding unless that decreased my supply. We did let her sleep for 4-5 hour stretches over night but we got in 8 feedings every day. She just naturally fell into that pattern of closer to 2 hours between feedings during the day and longer stretches at night, but perhaps we were too lax based on how little she is.

This weekend when she gained the 6 ounces, we weren''t really supplementing or pumping as much as we were supposed to. I probably only pumped 5 times all weekend and we only gave her formula half the time, and if she didn''t take it all we didn''t force her. And yet she gained 6 ounces in three days. It makes me think that this is all overkill.

I really want to try just waking her up every 3 hours at night and dropping the formula altogether and just pumping during the day.

And what if instead of giving her the 1/2 an ounce or so I get pumping after each feeding, I save it up and have DH give it to her in the middle of the night so I can sleep through a feeding? Would there be anything wrong with that? I think it would probably be about 2 or 2.5 ounces . . . is that enough for a 3 week old?

Otherwise I think I need to start sleeping in the guest room because when I get back in bed, I am hyper-vigilant to her gurgling sounds (she makes these really awful sounds after formula feeding) and can''t fall asleep right away, so even though if I rush I could get 2 hours of sleep between feedings, I''m only getting 1.5.

I''m sorry my posts have been so me-centric recently. I know you guys understand!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phoenixgirl,

Breastfeeding, (from what I read from all the other PS moms) does get easier. I understand how the schedule seems insane now but it will lighten up a bit. However BFing DOES take dedication and you have to decide at some point if that's really what you want to do. I had no milk but I attempted to BF for nearly two months using a SNS hoping my supply would magically increase. The entire process took ages...45-1hr minutes to clear an oz or two, then I had to pump 10 minutes each breast, then clean all the supplies up. 1.5 hour process and I was feeding at first every 2.5 hours, which left me with 45 minutes of sleep once I got dozing. By week 4-5, I was pretty well in despair and hit an emotional wall during week 5 where I lost it.

I do highly encourage you to stick with it as long as possible because suckling on the nipple helps strengthen their jaws (a back and forth kind of suckling vs a bottle where it's almost an up/down biting). If you do those two motions yourself, you can see that the back and forth motion takes more effort. This is part of the reason why when babies get on bottles too early, they reject the breast...more work to get out the food they want. And of course there are lots of other benefits to BFing.

However, if you feel this schedule is too unsustainable, you can choose to go with a bottle at some point and pump what you can into the bottle. Sucking back a couple of oz of formula through SNS took 45 minutes. Sucking it from a bottle took about 4 minutes. I posted on the preggo thread long ago (back when moms and preggos were on the same thread) my shock and alarm at the food being taken so fast. That really DOES clear up a lot more time. My guilt prevented me from making the switch for many weeks even though I was one of the very few women with no milk (I was measuring in cc's most of the time). 2 months of this insanity when I should have called it quits around week 3 or 4. I am happy that I did use the SNS for 5-6 weeks though, as I do think it helped with her jaw.

I can post many other benefits of formula, but that might get any lactivists up in arms. The benefits, however, would mostly be for YOU, so yes, breastmilk is best.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
PG As TGal said, BFing gets easier, and somehow knowing that helped me get through the early weeks. Also knowing that EVERYONE has issues BFing helped me too. But use a bottle sometimes if that helps you for sure. It won''t kill her and it will save you! One of the other PS moms supplements with bottles for the first 8 weeks waiting for her milk to increase and then went on to exclusively BF for a long time. Babies are very resilient in those early weeks. And so are you! You will rebound.

In the end, if you decide you want to switch to formula, the world won''t end
2.gif
It all just depends on your own personal desires to BF long term and for future kids (BFing number two does *not* come with the same problems and headaches that you have the first time around). Around week 6-8 BFing becomes much easier, and actually does have some benefits for YOU over formula too -- it is very easy to go out with a BF baby without having to worry about bottles etc. But you are tied to the baby more. Pluses and minuses to both FF and BF it seems to me from reading this forum esp -- BFing takes time to figure out and involves pain often and supply issues and latch issues, whereas many FF moms dealt with reflux and other issues in those early days too. There is no easy and simple choice. IT GETS BETTER I PROMISE!!
9.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
DD Hope you are getting settled in - congrats on your new house! I am excited to hear how CIO is going for you. We are thinking about it too. I'm OK with feeding him once, maybe twice, overnight but more than that seems really excessive at this point. If it goes well for you maybe it will give me the courage to try :)

PhoenixGirl Hang in there. The early weeks I had a hard time with BFing too. It was like every doctor and every LC told me something slightly different and I was just a mess trying to accomplish it all, with not enough help - no family around, DH only took 1 week off and has very long hours - and a very fussy baby. I thought it would never get better but it finally did. Now at almost 8 months, BFing is really easy - I am really lucky to have enough milk. It's so convenient to BF and never have to wash bottles or bring formula with me. I am so glad I stuck it out even though I really did not like BFing at first and found it to be a major chore. I encourage you to stick it out through the next couple weeks and see if it gets easier for you too. My baby's style was that of a "rester" - nurse a little, nap a little, etc, for hours! I was so frustrated because it seemed like he never ate enough and never napped for more than 10 minutes unless being held. He was slow to gain weight too and I had to pump too and it was HARD. For a little while I just pumped and bottle fed while I had really sore nipples. Then I just let my guy nurse ALL DAY if he wanted to. I learned to sleep in the chair while nursing. Then I started reading books. I love to read so it was actually pretty nice. Most people I know's babies nap more and nurse less than mine did. It was hard. Very hard. But it did get easier. I think around 6 weeks was when the fog started to lift.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

Hey Phoenix

I don’t know if you got my message on storing pump parts in the fridge in between sessions. That’ll save you some time.

If she has not been gaining weight or isn’t back at her birth weight then waking every 3 hours at night to eat is best than letting her sleep for longer periods. Now, if she’s back at her birth weight then let her sleep but not for longer than 5 hours if gaining weight is still a concern.

And I agree with putting together all of the ounces and giving it to DH so that you can rest. I agree, agree, agree. 2 ounces of bm should be fine for her. When my mom was helping me at night DD was about 2-3 weeks old and taking 1.5 to 2.5 ounces depending on how long she had slept before waking to eat.

I feel for you. I really do. Now that my supply has gone to sh!t, I’m doing the on the breast, offer formula, power pump routine as well and it is so time consuming. It does get easier though and once your supply is well established and Claire is gaining weight well, bfing will be like a dream.

Also, if you need to make follow-up appts with the LC don’t be shy. Keep calling and keep going in. Generally speaking LCs are very eager to help figure it all out for bfing moms so keep taking Claire in for weighed feedings.

Oh and another side note, she may be coming up on the 3 week growth spurt so expect a lot more feedings. It's going to suck but be absolutely what you need to get that supply thriving. I missed DD's 3 month growth spurt because I was working
15.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 1:53:50 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
PG As TGal said, BFing gets easier, and somehow knowing that helped me get through the early weeks. Also knowing that EVERYONE has issues BFing helped me too. But use a bottle sometimes if that helps you for sure. It won''t kill her and it will save you! One of the other PS moms supplements with bottles for the first 8 weeks waiting for her milk to increase and then went on to exclusively BF for a long time. Babies are very resilient in those early weeks. And so are you! You will rebound.

2.gif
It all just depends on your own personal desires to BF long term and for future kids (BFing number two does *not* come with the same problems and headaches that you have the first time around). Around week 6-8 BFing becomes much easier, and actually does have some benefits for YOU over formula too -- it is very easy to go out with a BF baby without having to worry about bottles etc. But you are tied to the baby more. Pluses and minuses to both FF and BF it seems to me from reading this forum esp -- BFing takes time to figure out and involves pain often and supply issues and latch issues, whereas many FF moms dealt with reflux and other issues in those early days too. There is no easy and simple choice. IT GETS BETTER I PROMISE!!
9.gif
This was one thing I didn''t get when I was doing the whole thing. It was actually way easier for me to go once I started bottle feeding. Of course, it''s easier BFing because you''ll never FORGET the food, but I never forgot Amelia''s formula. I thought it was so much easier to bring a bottle, a little container of formula and a bottle of water. Mix and drink quick in my arms or in the carrier. No messing with hooter hiders (or hiding your hooters) and sitting there feeding for ages. I would have hated to deal with BFing outside my home. But I think the point is either way, you gets so used to it, it DOES get easier.

I agree that there is no easy and simple choice...when you''re in the thick of things. In hindsight, it''s pretty easy - try BFing first. If it''s not working within 2-3 weeks or you are going insane and truly can''t deal with it, then switch to formula and feel good about it.
5.gif

DD, good luck on CIO. Your kid is a good boy and you are a good mother and no way he''s gonna hate you in the morning.
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 2:11:52 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 11/11/2009 1:53:50 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

2.gif
9.gif
This was one thing I didn''t get when I was doing the whole thing. It was actually way easier for me to go once I started bottle feeding. Of course, it''s easier BFing because you''ll never FORGET the food, but I never forgot Amelia''s formula. I thought it was so much easier to bring a bottle, a little container of formula and a bottle of water. Mix and drink quick in my arms or in the carrier. No messing with hooter hiders (or hiding your hooters) and sitting there feeding for ages. I would have hated to deal with BFing outside my home. But I think the point is either way, you gets so used to it, it DOES get easier.

I agree that there is no easy and simple choice...when you''re in the thick of things. In hindsight, it''s pretty easy - try BFing first. If it''s not working within 2-3 weeks or you are going insane and truly can''t deal with it, then switch to formula and feel good about it.
5.gif

DD, good luck on CIO. Your kid is a good boy and you are a good mother and no way he''s gonna hate you in the morning.
2.gif
I think if you are uncomfotable BFing in public then you are right, it isn''t easier. I made a conscious decision not to care about doing it in public early on because I knew that would make life hard. No "hooter hiders" for me! I just find a place without too many people and turn my bosy away from others. It helps that once baby is about 3 months they can finish nursing in like 5-10 minutes max! It was strange at first and now I don''t care at all. Some places I won''t nurse, like the bus, but I have done it at the mall, on an airplane --with a strange man sitting beside me! haha -- at work, everywhere.

Hunter is very happy today and is being a little angel... could it be that crying for an hour at night is healthy for him?
3.gif

TanDogMom I''ll let you know. It is hard to listen to, but seeing how happy and content he is today, and how well he is napping, makes me feel pretty sure it didn''t do any harm. My MIL is staying with us now and she said that babies have no sense of time anyways so he has no idea he cried for that long
12.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Ditto DD about nursing in public.

DD, I was wondering if BFing baby #2 is as hard as baby #1 is at first. Glad to hear it''s not. Good luck with CIO.

PG - You''ve already gotten so much good advice that I don''t have anything else to add. I''m thinking of you, and hope that you find a solution.

We''ve been having a really hard time here. George''s ped wanted him to see someone yesterday, and we spent 4-5 hours trying to find a doctor who could see him. He was acting all lethargic and not like himself, and then right when the doctor walked in the room he started acting like a super smiley energetic madman. The conclusion was that there''s nothing wrong with him, except maybe a cold. He''s acted fine today, other than a cough. Also, one of our dogs bit a family friend and after talking a long time with my aunt (who does dog rescue and is very good with everything dog related) we have decided that we need to put him down. We''re devastated.
39.gif
He was a stray who''s always had fear issues and we''ve worked extensively with a trainer to help him, and we thought he had been doing a lot better. DH is out of town and we think we''re going to hold off until he can be here.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blen Gosh that''s aweful about your doggy! You are making the right decision though, biting is a deal breaker so to speak, and you cannot take a chance with George now that he is getting mobile. We were afraid that Dreamer would eventually bite someone, she is fearful and not socialized properly to people and she charged a small child, and so we pre-emptively surrendered her to our breeder, who will care for her and find her a home without kids. I know that your dog had a great life with you, and that is all you can hope for sometimes.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blen, I''m sorry about your dog.
8.gif

DD, I didn''t know you gave up your dog? Do you still have another one, or are you dogless now?

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks DD and TGal. It was unprovoked fear biting, which I know is the WORST kind in terms of the possibility of rehab and knowing that he won't do it again, and so I know it the right decision. And in some ways it's a bit of a relief (I feel horrible saying that) because he requires SO MUCH effort. We've been trying to deal with the fear issues since we got him 2.5 years ago, plus he's the dog who can jump on countertops and get in trash cans and outsmart baby gates and open doors and so we always have to be one step ahead. But still, he's a member of the family and it's just so hard to make that decision. TGal, I think that DD now has one dachaund but that she had the two that are pictured in her avatar.

Someone posted a BOB Revolution on Craigslist for $200, and I've emailed them with no response yet. I really hope that they're just off at dinner or something and that it's still available.

ETA - I forgot to mention that George met my brother for the second time today. My brother is very uncomfortable with babies in general and will not hold George. I gave George a laminated menu to play with at one point because he kept trying to grab stuff of the table that he should not have and that seemed fairly benign, but when my brother realized he was mouthing it he started talking about all of the horrible stuff that bpa does and asking if I was sure that it was bpa-free. And then later he was very concerned that George was going to choke on his food. The whole lunch was really funny to me - my brother was acting like he barely noticed George and didn't want too much to do with him, but he was very concerned at the same time that I didn't hurt him.
3.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
DD - GL with CIO. It''s soooo good. I swear
11.gif
. He''s a clever boy and will catch on soon - your life will be forever changed!

Blen - so sorry about your doggie
7.gif
I''m devastated hearing it. What can you do....

Pheonix - Everyone has given genius advice. I concur. Just know, it does get easier, (I had a really really really tough time) and if BFing is something that is important to you longterm, then stick with it - if not, then cut yourself some slack. These are really tough times and you have to do what you can to survive them. Good luck girl!

I''m frantic doing laundry so just wanted to say a quick hello. Nothing new here. Romeo is still my little bump on a log.
20.gif
No Dada''s, no rolling, nothing. hahah. oh well.

South beach with my 7 girlfriends was off the hook. Man I loved it. I did three nights in a row like I was 20. All I have to say is "stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil got it!" lol.

Catch yas later xo

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal We still have our silver dapple male, he is the dog we had first and whom we raised from a puppy. He is *very* well socialized and a really easy dog.

Date: 11/11/2009 8:12:10 PM
Author: Blenheim
Thanks DD and TGal. It was unprovoked fear biting, which I know is the WORST kind in terms of the possibility of rehab and knowing that he won''t do it again, and so I know it the right decision. And in some ways it''s a bit of a relief (I feel horrible saying that) because he requires SO MUCH effort. We''ve been trying to deal with the fear issues since we got him 2.5 years ago, plus he''s the dog who can jump on countertops and get in trash cans and outsmart baby gates and open doors and so we always have to be one step ahead. But still, he''s a member of the family and it''s just so hard to make that decision. TGal, I think that DD now has one dachaund but that she had the two that are pictured in her avatar.
Blen that is *exactly* how we felt about giving up Dreamer. She also barked a lot and it was the most annoying sound, and she was not house broken. We worked hard with her and she came a long way with us (she was unadoptable before we worked with her) but uptimately, it has been a relief not to have her. And she will be better off in a home that doesn''t stress her out. I''m sorry that you dog doesn''t have another chance in another environment, but biting is too dangerous to mess with IMHO.

The funny thing is that Seamus has become a much better dog since we gave her up
33.gif
He is complient, and listens to us, and is so well behaved I cannot believe it. This is the dog that was a total jerk when she was around. Something about adding her changed the pack pecking order and not in a good way in terms of his behavior, so that has been another added benefit of rehoming her.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about the dogs DD & Blen. What a very hard decision. I gave my hedgehogs to a guy that runs an animal sanctuary where they will live a pampered existence - I felt terrible, but they were a lot of work and I couldn''t give them the time and attention they needed.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Fiery, thanks for the pump tips, but I''m using Lansinoh before I pump, and that makes the phlanges gunky, so I think I still have to wash at least those parts. And thanks for the tip on the growth spurt . . . eek!

I''m not considering giving up BFing . . . it seems like that was the impression I gave. I''m just trying to come up with a plan I can live with. Yesterday I pumped 5 times instead of the 6 the LC recommended because I just had to take a nap; that''s what I mean by adjusting what we''re doing.

Thanks for the support, all! I''m going to get Claire in for a weight check tomorrow or Saturday so I can find out if she''s back to her birth weight and we can scale back on everything except the BFing.

TG, is SNS that thing that attaches to your nipple? We''ve switched from giving her the formula in a bottle to using our finger and a syringe because she had started biting me and she spits up more when she drinks so fast. So that''s how DH will be giving her the breastmilk while I skip a feeding tonight (who ever thought I would be so excited about sleeping for 4.5 or 5 hours!).

Blen, I''m so sorry about your dog.
7.gif

DH and I got our H1N1 vaccines. I had to wake up from a lovely nap and run out with just 30 minutes to go on the clinic when DH got home yesterday and I was sure I would get there and they''d have run out or the line would be too long; I was pleasantly surprised that it was free (at the city health dept.) and that I was in and out in 20 minutes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results