shape
carat
color
clarity

Prom Dress Shopping Help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m starting to think my HS was weird...prom was always a very classy thing, and the shortest skirt I ever saw was tea length! People had dresses custom made or went to fancy-pants dress stores. No tulle, no taffeta...I went to three proms, and only one had a dress that could be considered kind of revealing.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 11:56:59 PM
Author: Gypsy
Okay so anyone know how much these flirt dresses run?

I think she''s going more toward princess than tramp from her email. So, I really like these:

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P1310&backUrl=%2fcollection.aspx (although anyone looking for a red wedding dress would love this one).

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P1320

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P2358

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P3370 ( my favorite one)

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P4341 (the eighties are back!)

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P1314&backUrl=%2fcollection.aspx%3fpage%3d1 (freaking adorable)

VRbeauty---
3.gif
These are BEAUTIFUL!!! Love them!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 2:09:47 PM
Author: princesss
I''m starting to think my HS was weird...prom was always a very classy thing, and the shortest skirt I ever saw was tea length! People had dresses custom made or went to fancy-pants dress stores. No tulle, no taffeta...I went to three proms, and only one had a dress that could be considered kind of revealing.
Ditto to that....I think we would have been sent home if we showed up in some of these hoochy mama dresses they wear now. Man, I feel old! (my prom was 12 years ago and everyone dressed very classy with long dresses and none of these plunging necklines and slits up to their eyeballs)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm starting to think my HS was weird...prom was always a very classy thing, and the shortest skirt I ever saw was tea length! People had dresses custom made or went to fancy-pants dress stores. No tulle, no taffeta...I went to three proms, and only one had a dress that could be considered kind of revealing.
So was mine. Racy was strapless-- Prom was 16 years ago though (I'm 33). Very strange. And there was no tulle or taffeta or sequins. Mostly silks and crepes and nice silk satins. My own dress was a Christian Dior Silk Satin back Crepe in Red. It was strapless (but NOT plunging) and did have a slit (but it stopped just at the top of my knee).

Jersey Shore by the Point Pleasant Area (though not exactly there) is where she is. I'm in Nor Cal.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Prom was super formal at my high school as well--here's my senior prom pic:

ETA: Ack! That was totally huge--sorry guys.

LP_Prom.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww, what a great pic ladyP. And your dress looks perfect (and decent). I love your hair too, you are SO PRETTY!.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Aww, pretty LP!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
oob--- I've used that tactic on her with GREAT sucess in the past. Last year when she came out I took her 'high end' shopping-- we hit all the sale racks and it was like a whole new world for her. And all of her purchases were definitely "her" but refined. Which was what I wanted. I don't want her to be a mini-me. She's her own person, and I love that person. I just want to help her with the process of refining her look to reflect the wonderful person within, instead of a look that gives off inaccurate and undesirable vibes.

That's actually why she "saved" prom dress shopping for her trip out here. Because we love shopping together, she has fun with me, knows I'm not stuffy (I'm really not), and because I take her to really great stores and she gets to buy things she'd not have found or considered otherwise. And I want to respect that while ensuring that she doesn't leave the house looking like she should be walking the streets.

I like this one too: http://www.jessicamcclintock.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&productId=132431&categoryId=10329&subcatname=Long%20Dresses&spage=2&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10320

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
That''s how my high school was. One of my friends wore a very short dress with her back exposed and it was pure scandal.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was in high school...

Homecoming dresses could be short or long, any color went, but black and jewel tones ruled.

Winter Ball seemed mostly black, but long dresses were the norm.

Prom was pastel all the way, with pink, purple and blue being the biggest draw. And they were all A-line or ballgown styles. And long.

I remember my senior prom, a junior showed up in a hot pink long taffeta skirt and a bandeau top. I don't know how she wasn't sent home...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope probably wouldn''t work for her without going up a size to fit her bust, getting the right foundation garments, and then altering it down to fit in other places. But I do think it''s lovely.

VR, yes, it''s nice to be a ''cool'' aunt. Sometimes John accuses me of marrying him for the neices (6) of them. I''m an only child but I''ve always wanted to be an aunt.

Wow, Freke... I can''t say I remember that far back with any great specificity. I remember wearing darker hues for the winter formal (burgundy velvet for one, can''t say I recall the rest) and then black for junior prom and red for senior. I don''t remember what ANYONE one else wore except for my BFF (hahahhaha) who stole the dress I wanted when we went shopping together for senior prom. But she wore the goofiest hair do with it that made her head look lopsided... so it was all okay.
9.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 3:32:09 PM
Author: FrekeChild
When I was in high school...

Homecoming dresses could be short or long, any color went, but black and jewel tones ruled.

Winter Ball seemed mostly black, but long dresses were the norm.

Prom was pastel all the way, with pink, purple and blue being the biggest draw. And they were all A-line or ballgown styles. And long.

I remember my senior prom, a junior showed up in a hot pink long taffeta skirt and a bandeau top. I don''t know how she wasn''t sent home...

This is EXACTLY how my school was. A friend of mine had a "scarf top" (which was in for about 20 seconds in 1999 - basically a hankercheif with strings so it could be tied at the neck and around the back) and I seriously thought she was going to get expelled, since our hometown/admin was extremely conservative. My Jr. year dress was lavender taffeta a-line/box pleat skirt with a halter top and covered buttons on the back (and gorgeous...I loved it) and my senior year''s was black with wide white trim, because I wanted to be different - it was boatneck with a lot of the back exposed, and had the overall shape of Audrey Hepburn''s dress from Breakfast at Tiffany''s - I even wore a TINY tiara headband (stopped short at the elbow gloves and cigarette holder, since thought that might be pushing it).

Ahhhh memories. Gypsy, I know this thread is supposed to be helpful to you, but I just want to say thanks for starting it. I have so many negative HS memories, but the topic of prom has made me remember some good ones!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 4:04:22 PM
Author: musey
Wow, its hard to believe prom fashions have changed so much since my own (7 years ago... wow it seems like a lot longer)!!! Everyone was in floor-length gowns at mine, I remember a couple of girls made some waves with their short numbers. They were the exception, for sure!
Hm, my prom was in 1990 (19 years ago). I remember a lot of knee or tea length dresses, but not very many floor length ones. No one really did hoochie back then either.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the compliments Gypsy and Steph. *blush* You guys are so sweet.
4.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! There are some beauties in her selection so far! Whether she''s getting more mature and more sure of herself, or whether your good taste is influencing her from afar (
2.gif
) it look like the hunt for the perfect prom dress might be turn out to be fun!

ucdcows

Rough_Rock
I live in the Bay Area and went prom shopping with my sister last year. The Macy''s at Valley Fair has a good collection of dresses and they also have a Nordstrom, Jessica Mcclintock there as well. There is also a Jessica Mcclintock store in Union Square on the 4th floor of a building there and there is also a Jessica McClintock outlet where they sell dresses for over 50% off with a huge selection.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh those last links that your niece pick out are lovely. Any one of them would be gorgeous. I love the orange and yellow one. I think she has quite sophisticated taste and seems to be aware of her bust size and what will cover well.

I am excited to see what you guys end up buying. We need a new topic called "Show Me the Dress"!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Wow, some of those dresses are amazing!!!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
YES!!! Those dresses are great!! The only one I''m really not a fan of is the orange one.

Is it bad that I think the zebra one is kinda awesome?!

Looks like the trip won''t be so bad after all!! Yay, Gypsy, this might be a really fun experience with your niece!!

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Lol I''m so happy that she picked this one..

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P2316&backUrl=%2fcollection.aspx%3fpage%3d3

I picked that one too! I think it''s gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results