shape
carat
color
clarity

Prom Dress Shopping Help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee, I was one of those short dress girls, but not super short like it is these days. My dress was knee length. I grew up in FL, so it was more of a logistical thing for me. Longt dress + Miami in June = sweltering hot!!! All the other girls' make up was melting off their faces, kinda made you feel bad for them.

ETA: This was well over 10 yrs ago...

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya Gypsy!

The name of this thread gave me a giggle- I scanned it quickly and thought it said "**** dress shopping help"!!! I was like, do you even need a dress for that?
31.gif

Good luck. That green number is um, well, just good luck.
3.gif
Hope you have fun!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Before you go anywhere do some internet surfing with your niece on some prom dress websites and get an idea of what she likes. This is so you won't be shocked and mortified when you go shopping and she picks out something over the top (which won't be hard considering your picks!!!!! jk!)

This is to break you gently!! (No offense to anyone who owns these!!) I actually like the first red one but the model's expression cracks me up.

prom.jpg

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 5:59:07 PM
Author: swingirl
Before you go anywhere do some internet surfing with your niece on some prom dress websites and get an idea of what she likes. This is so you won''t be shocked and mortified when you go shopping and she picks out something over the top (which won''t be hard considering your picks!!!!! jk!)

This is to break you gently!! (No offense to anyone who owns these!!) I actually like the first red one but the models expression cracks me up.

23.gif
32.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
"Light in the box" is the name of that dress company?

Layla, Haven is dead on, my students dress the same way for proms. Mostly longish for prom (it still isn''t going to be that warm), though some wear shorties, but the plunging is insane. Oh and the fake tans, just grossness. DH chaperoned with me last year and commented that he couldn''t tell some of the female teachers from students. Flashy, sparkly, bright. Remember that the 80s are somehow back in and they brought neon with them. Hooker shoes (of course) even though the poor girls walk around in their bare feet shortly after having pictures taken.

Good luck! Didn''t you have some sparkly faux-bling that you didn''t choose to wear for your wedding? Could you bribe her to tone it down a bit with a loan of those? My own prom pics were just posted by someone else on facebook, so warn her that this is actually something that could come back to haunt her.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 5:59:07 PM
Author: swingirl
Before you go anywhere do some internet surfing with your niece on some prom dress websites and get an idea of what she likes. This is so you won''t be shocked and mortified when you go shopping and she picks out something over the top (which won''t be hard considering your picks!!!!! jk!)

This is to break you gently!! (No offense to anyone who owns these!!) I actually like the first red one but the model''s expression cracks me up.
Are these from the Fredricks of Hollywood Prom Collection???
14.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol. Poor Gypsy.

My mom always knew best of what would look good on me, and what was understated and elegant without being matronly. My favorite dress is still stunning now, and I hated it when I saw it on the hanger. It was around 70% off and from the women''s department--black velvet, long A-line, long sleeved (it was Winter Ball), the neckline was straight across right under my collar bones, BUT it had almost no back. It was stunning on, and I could totally wear it now.

Good luck Gypsy! I always had the bigger bust, and I had luck at Dillards and Cache. I would also check out what is trendy right now, and swingirl''s pic is probably a good idea of what''s out there right now...
23.gif

Oh, but make her try on stuff. She may have an idea of what she wants, but you never know what she''ll look good in.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
The boutique I work at sells a lot of prom dresses.

Ask her mom what is typical to wear to prom. It can be different regionally and even different school to school. We have been selling a lot of print dresses, as well as some of those slinky little numbers. How big is she?

Our biggest request is for "Flirt" dresses by Maggie Sottero. Take a look at their website, we''re selling them more than anything else.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Prom dresses are definitely regional. This is what they are wearing in Utah. It''s from a website that sells "modest" prom gowns.

028 copy.jpg

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 7:57:38 PM
Author: OUpeargirl

Ask her mom what is typical to wear to prom. It can be different regionally and even different school to school. We have been selling a lot of print dresses, as well as some of those slinky little numbers. How big is she?

Our biggest request is for 'Flirt' dresses by Maggie Sottero. Take a look at their website, we're selling them more than anything else.

Okay seriously, those flirt dresses are awesome. If I were tall, I'd rock one.

This one, this one, and this one are so cute!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 7:57:38 PM
Author: OUpeargirl

Our biggest request is for ''Flirt'' dresses by Maggie Sottero. Take a look at their website, we''re selling them more than anything else.
Amen to that. As a kid I inherited my NJ cousin''s (mid 80''s) prom dresses. Those didn''t go over so well a few years later in VA.

Those flirt dresses are kinda serious, AND they cover most of the naughty bits.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so between swingirl and redrose I'm gonna need to lie down. With a cool wet cloth over my eyes. And aspirin.

I like the 'flirt' dresses. Very cute. Her budget is 250 plus. I will add another 100 (she doesn't know) as long as the dress is... well, NOT scandalous. She has another 50 or so to add in reserve so it's a VERY respectable budget.

She does show taste on occassion. When she came to meet my parents last year she wore the cutest dress (totally age appropriate) and a shrug and I was like... WOW, she CAN do it. So I have a tiny bit of hope.

Swingirl the second dress in your collage is making the veins in my temple twitch.
32.gif
Elvira meets Debbie (who did Dallas), and Six from Battlestar Gallactica as the model. Lovely.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 8:44:53 PM
Author: Gypsy
Swingirl the second dress in your collage is making the veins in my temple twitch.
32.gif
Elvira meets Debbie (who did Dallas), and Six from Battlestar Gallactica as the model. Lovely.
BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I went to prom only three years ago and I wore a dress I got (majorly onsale! like 80 percent off) form Neiman Marcus. It was just below my knee, spaghetti straps, and it was AWESOME! lots of girls wore dresses like mine but also floor length ones but NO one wore dresses that were like ball gowns... I will post a pic... haha I loved this dress.. and you couldn't really see my leg THAT much, I was doing it on purpose. Imagine the dress how it is on the right because that's how it really looked...

Man were we color coordinated
26.gif

n2357235_31853183_646.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy - one ? I have (and I hope this doesn't cause you more headaches) - you mentioned she "isn't skinny" and is large-busted. Is she plus sized? If not, ignore the rest of this - when I was in HS, I wore a size 14-18 (depending on cut, dress, etc), and those itty bitty cut jrs size 13/15 (if I was lucky and found a 15) dresses in department stores didn't fit at all. One year I had a Jessica McClintock dress (sortof - the skirt was JM and the top was custom made from a matching stole), and the other year I found a dress in Misses - but it was like warfare when my mom took me shopping. After so many I loved didn't fit, I wouldn't want to try anything else and I'd just get mean, and of course Mom wanted me to find something so she'd want to go to another place. It wasn't fun for either of us. In college, for formals I discovered bridal stores and was a VERY happy camper size-wise b/c I could always find a pretty gown because it was ordered and usually there were samples that I could at least squeeze into to get an idea.

The links that Haven posted are very much how prom dresses were when I was in HS (is it strange that I'm surprised how LITTLE dresses have changed since I went to prom? - everyone was saying how much it's changed, but I'm not sure it has so much...).

But this is what's apparently the norm where I live:

16-001-016-0055-.jpg

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,
That reminds me. I used to get my dresses at consignment stores. I bet CA consignment will have some wicked awesome stuff. Do you have some upscale resale places you go normally? Ones that might carry real women sizes? Just a thought. I have always had better luck with getting fancy name brands or otherwise well-made stuff that i could afford second-hand over paying money for disposable stuff.
just a thought!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not her size, it''s more her hieght and build. She carries all her weight in her chest, stomach and behind. And she''s pretty short 5 3 ish? Size 12? She''s a beautiful girl. Gorgeous skin, eyes, face, hair. It''s more that her sister is tall and thin (though broad boned) and so... she tried to squeeze into things... styles her sister wears and so forth that, just do not work.

Iloveasschers, wow. I have to say the skirt on that thing would give everyone in my family and John''s caniptions. LOL. You looked lovely though.

El... I"m definitely adding a couple of bridal shops to my list. With relief.

Swimmer... that''s a great idea. I''ll start looking. I think there is one... and I can take my wedding dresses (the ones I didn''t wear) and see if they are interested. LOL.

Freke, always glad to give you a laugh.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, we should *totally* start a "Post your embarrassing high school formal pictures" thread!

I have many to share! I wore one number with a gigantic bow that was just HORRIBLE. It was the early nineties, the decade was just not on anyone''s side. I also had mall bangs for a few years, and a really nasty perm.

I love those Flirt dresses!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy: I don't have any ideas to offer, but I have to thank you -- I chuckled all the way through this thread!

Loehmann's is always my first stop for something special. The odds of finding something there are usually very small, but sometimes they (still) get really high end evening wear. Go in with the expectation that you just have to cross it off the list, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck! I hope you find something that you both love!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so anyone know how much these flirt dresses run?

I think she's going more toward princess than tramp from her email. So, I really like these:

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P1310&backUrl=%2fcollection.aspx (although anyone looking for a red wedding dress would love this one).

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P1320

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P2358

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P3370 ( my favorite one)

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P4341 (the eighties are back!)

http://www.flirtprom.com/dress.aspx?style=P1314&backUrl=%2fcollection.aspx%3fpage%3d1 (freaking adorable)

VRbeauty---
3.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like they''re in the ~$400+ range. The second one you posted is listed on ebay for $428...
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=flirt+prom+dress&_sacat=See-All-Categories

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, Flirt dresses are great. They are usually a nice compromise between sexy and understated. Most of them run between $200 and $400, but there are some that are more expensive than that. When is her prom? It might be too late to order any from Flirt, we''re having trouble doing that unless they have them in stock.

Also look at Night Moves by Allure.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW... the email I sent to her said:

" Hiya honey...

What look are going for with your prom dress?

Long or short?
Straps or Strapless
Colors?
Princessy or short and flirty?

Just want to get an idea of stores to hit.

:)"

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
You''re such a sweet aunt! I like a lot of the dresses you picked out!! the "eighties" one is one of my favorites we have in store... SO CUTE!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was going to ask about that next, the order time. Drat. I''ll check Allure too. Thank you OU! I''m feeling a little more comfortable.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Order time if they have it in stock, can be 2-3 weeks. If they don''t have it in stock, you probably won''t be getting it until after prom season is over. Most people who carry Flirt can look up availability online though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahh. Perfect. I wonder if Netbride can get that stuff in. I used them for my wedding and man, they rocked.

DiamondsforDee

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy, where in NJ is your niece from? I''m a northern NJ girl and while my prom was over 10 years ago my much younger sister has helped to keep me up-to-date on the prom fashions in northern NJ. Plus I just love dress shopping. Nordies all the way!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I don''t really have any suggestions about where to look but wanted to wish you GOOD LUCK with the shopping. Hopefully she doesn''t go for anything too crazy. I will say though that I loved looking at the formal dresses at Neiman Marcus when I was that age only a few years ago. I know they can be expensive but I always saw ones on sale... maybe the idea of having such a nice dress from a nice place would remove all considerations of plunging necklines or revealing slits.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results