shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess vs. Radiant - Any Thoughts??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

I am a first-time diamond newbie getting engaged in 6 weeks or so, and am getting hung up on the Princess vs. Radiant square shape. I've looked at some in stores, but most B&M stores don't have enough inventory in my preferred specs (1.5-1.75, Nice cut, VS1-SI1, H-I color) to make a good "apples-to-apples" comparison.

Can anyone provide some thoughts on going Princess vs. Radiant, especially as it relates to "sparkle?" My girlfriend is pretty trendy so I like the square cuts over round, but at the same time I would like to maximize sparkle. With the right setting, I would think the pointed vs rounded corners would almost be irrelevant.

Other thoughts or perspectives?

Thanks so much!!
- A Diamond Newbie from Kansas

***** UPDATE *****

Gosh... what a great forum.. thanks for the quick replies, and the references to the old threads and external sites. Just to sum up what's been said so far...

PRINCESS:
* The princess cut almost always has sharp corners
* The princess has a more linear, "crisp" look with a flatter top/crown (could be a pro or con depending on your preference)

Pro: The sharp corners allow princess cuts to be set side by side making them uniquely suitable for use in channel set jewelry
Con: A princess cut must be mounted very carefully since the sharp corners can easily chip.

RADIANT:
* The radiant cut almost always has cut corners
* The radiant tends to have a more "random" look with no visible "center"
* The radiant tends to look like crushed ice or shattered glass
Con: May tend to exagerate body color

JUBILEE:
Pro - A square look with the "sparkle" of a round
Con - Looks like I would have to pay a premium for this cut
sad.gif

If you have any other thoughts to add, please do so!! This is exactly what I needed!

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I had the same question when I first started looking. I liked the princess cuts but wanted something that performed more like a round cut. After looking around I decided on a Jubilee cut.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/jubilee.htm

To me they're the best of both the round and square cuts.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I'm partial to princess cuts because I don't like the shattered glass look, but lots of people do like radiants. Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/x15773.htm

Also, I know this stone is a little smaller than you're considering, but it's a beauty as far as radiants are concerned!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/new_page_69.htm

And here's a GORGEOUS princess:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/princess_1_50ct_e_vs11.htm

I know these are not stones you'd consider, but it may help you to compare them.

If you're not sure which style you like best (or don't really care), search the "price stats" link and see what stones fit your budget
1.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I LOVE the jubilee too! I wanted (and got) a princess for my e-ring, but am dying to have a jubilee for my right!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Two completely different looks! I had a radiant for about one day...I could not take the bow tie (even though very slight)... that is more common in rectangular stones...(not in all but most)...The radiant looks like crushed ice like researcher said. Do you/will she like that? If yes, the radiant iw the way to go!...I don't care for them b/c of that reason and also b/c I find them 'confusing' to look at...like there is no center..sound crazy?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
You might also want to note that radiants tend to intensify body color (at least that's what I believe) .... you'll notice that a whole heck of a lot of fancy colored stones are radiants.....I believe for that reason....

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Like MMM alludes to, it's what you like. The best advice is to look at a LOT of stones and really get a good feel for what will make you happy. I've seen some stunning radiants and princesses alike...Nicrez here on the forum has one of the most exquisite radiants I've ever seen. Check out her thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-little-radiant-that-could.13996/

A challenge with these cuts is that unlike rounds, the numbers don't tell you 100% what it will look like/how it will perform...that's why lots of comparison is necessary.

And the comment about body color is also true, which is why many fancy yellows are radiants--they do deepend the color...Usually, anyting below an H or I in a princess/radiant shows some color, at least from below.

I am preparing for my 10 yr anniv. ring (it's 2 yrs away--I'm just a LITTLE obsessed) and I seek out princesses and radiants every chance I get...I am partial to princess but again, it's what you like.

Good luck & keep us posted!
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Jennifer!

Radiants and Princess stones to me are quite different but both very pretty and both subject to taste. Personally, I first wanted a princess (because I just don't like the plain roundness of a round). I saw princess stones and thought they were nice. THEN I saw a Radiant.

Not sure why but I was totally DRAWN to it. I like the delicate sparkles that seemed to dance around when you moved it...they just sort of had no defining lines and yet totally radiated sparkle. As many people say it looks like cracked glass. It does. It ALWAYS has cut corners, and may be square (Box Radiant) or may be rectangular, as an emerald cut.
The Original Radiant Cut

Princess stones to me are cut as in a Chevron pattern on their pavillion, so their facet sparkles are more triangular, and more ordered and neatly concentric. Just being perfectly square does not a princess make! Princess stones can have cut corners. You can tell by the pavillion pattern and the facets.

It's a personal choice and seeing them in person I think is key. Either way, lots to learn on both breeds, but honestly, the Jubilee performs like a round, because it is truly cut like a round, with the same chunky, culet radiating facets that an RB has, except it's square. Look up the jubilee for pictures, as it's great, but is another animal itself. Each of these stones are a look unto themselves...

s_radiant.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
and here is a princess cut stone...

See how the facets are diferent? On the Radiant Cut website I linked, you'll see the differences between the radiant and the other similar cuts, or the RB, Emerald and princess...

A Princess cut stone can also be referred to as a Quadrillion or Squarillion cut, FYI...

princess cut stone.gif

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Nicrez, your stone seems to act as a cracked-glass mirror, as well... I'm sure I can see the reflection of the camera in that picture!

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone -

Let me know what you think of this radiant diamond from WhiteFlash.... It's a little more than I wanted to spend but from my perspective at least the numbers look strong. Comments? Observations?

Price: $6,685.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Radiant
Carat: 1.96
Color: J
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 64.3
Table: 67
Girdle: TN-M
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 7.23-7.06X4.54
Length/Width: 1.02

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I was wondering if you had considered an asscher/square emerald? It's an old cut, but it's very trendy right now (especially among celebs)... It's also very unique and beautiful, IMO.

Here is an example.

Cushion cuts are beutiful too... If you like the look of the jubilee but don't want to pay for a branded stone, non-branded cushion cuts may be an option.

Otherwise, I'd say if you can find a nice square radiant (which I think is hard to do), I'd vote for radiant over princess.

Good luck!

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much Robyn12 -

What do you think of the Radiant in the post above? Without seeing it, I think the numbers look pretty good to my novice (but growing) eyes.

- Diamond Noob

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... the 20% info given by those numbers and stats looks good. On to the other 80%
rolleyes.gif

I assume you know what "J" looks like, so no more comment there, esp. since it would mean "colorless" to me any day.

There is not knowing what this particular SI took it's clarity grade from - is there any way to obtain the inclusions plot? A picture of the stone would be better...

Since you mentioned 'brilliance" a few times in the original post, is it possible to ask for soem account of it from the seller (soem 'scope).

Both these can be left to be dealt with durign the return period - if you do not mind shipping diamonds back and forth. This one looks like a good candidate such a move, if anything.

Just my 0.2, of course

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results