shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

olivertwist

Rough_Rock
I have been lurking here for several weeks reading and absorbing as much as possible.

My 20th anniversary is fast approaching and my wife has informed me she would like a new diamond for her wedding ring. She wants a Princess cut around the 1.5 carat size. To that end I have been searching both the internet and brick and mortar stores looking for the best diamond and the best pricing.

Please give me your opinion of the following stones: (Note: our settings are all 18k gold and as such a J color is more than adequate)

1.50, VS2, J, D%-67.1, T%-71, 6.49x6.33, GIA: $5566
2.01, VS2, J, D%-73.8, T%-71, 6.95x6.50, EGL: $6900
1.51, VS1, J, D%-68.3, T%-69, 6.49x6.49, GIA: $6252
2.42, VVS2, J, D%-68.5, T%-76, 7.69x7.50, EGL: $8750

Thanks in advance for the help.

John

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I'll tell you - I had a bad experience w EGL being off in color/clarity on a princess (I ended up returning)... are you willing to take the chance that those Js may be K/Ls (or you could pay an appraiser to verify the actual color, etc)?

As far as the GIA stones listed, would it be possible to have a sarin run on them? There's not enough info to make any kind of judgement, but, with those dimensions, I don't hold out great hope that the crown height's going to be >10...?

olivertwist

Rough_Rock
The crown on the 2.42 is 10% and on the 2.01 it is 11%.

Does that help at all?

thanks

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
...And that's the good thing about EGL
1.gif
they provide crown height!

Can I ask if the EGL stones are USA graded or Isreal/Antwerp? USA has a better rep for accurate grading than the others...

olivertwist

Rough_Rock
They were certified in Isreal. The two EGL diamonds are form a local store called Isreal Diamond Supply. They have a very good reputation in town.

I have seen the color and they are not severly yellow. I was hoping for a decent cut to overcome some, if any, of the color issues.

Thanks for your opinion.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Not severly yellow? I should hope not
2.gif
Here's a LINK that's got a pic of my GIA J princess (scroll past the RB pics). Well-cut Js should face up 'near colorless'. I don't detect any tint in mine, even in platinum, tho i'm not color-sensitive.

If you liked the EGL stone(s) & you trust the vendor (and they have a good return policy), you could certainly get the one you choose appraised so you're sure of what you're getting
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results