shape
carat
color
clarity

Prince William and Kate Middleton are engaged!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1290015432|2770037 said:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40217151/ns/today-today_people/

Can someone correct the press already? And a mention of Natural Sapphire Company in this article too. Hopefully all these new customers aren't looking for sapphire "pairs". :devil:

Gailey hits the "Like" button. :naughty:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks HOT, what a lovely thread that is!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
did she move it to the right hand for the photo?

Attachments

• katewrongside.bmp
    349.3 KB · Views: 845

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think photos are sometimes reversed for some reason.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
They do, and I don't really understand why they do that?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date set, April 29th at Westminster Abbey....

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Has anybody heard anymore news? We haven't heard much in the states and I'm craving gossip :cheeky:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ahhh! my love is marrying another :nono:

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1290990349|2781270 said:
ahhh! my love is marrying another :nono:

LOL you and me both! :tongue:

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey now I'll have something in common with them! Our wedding date was 4/29!!! :bigsmile:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Four day weekend woo hoo! :bigsmile:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Rosetta, that was the start and finish of my interest in it all too - a day off! With pay! Yay!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Am I the only who who thinks Harry would be a bigger prize? :tongue:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1291028932|2781643 said:
Am I the only who who thinks Harry would be a bigger prize?

Well, in social terms, he is farther down the line of succession and will be pushed even farther down as soon as Prince William has chidren. In terms of his looks, many prefer Prince William although I have heard murmurings in this thread about Prince William being less beautiful than when he was younger. In terms of his personality, I think Prince William is by far his better. He is more level headed and has not been caught in as many negative escapades. As I mentioned above, Prince Harry attending a fancy dress party (a costume party) as a Nazi soldier made a very negative impression on me (and on Prince Charles who was described as being, "incandescent with rage") as well as on Great Britain. It caused Prince Charles to send both Wills and Harry to visit Auschwitz to understand what the Nazis were really about. I would say that the heavy drinking, Nazi-emulating Harry is not what I was always looking for in a man. I always seemed to find smarter men appealing.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1289957134|2769288 said:
Blackpaw|1289955732|2769260 said:
AGBF|1289951760|2769157 said:
hlmr|1289951351|2769150 said:
I wonder who Harry will end up with? I find him more appealing as he gets older too!

As long as he stays out of Nazi uniforms. That was a major turn-off for me. It kind of screamed, "I am a moron!".

Deb

haha, to me that kind of screamed "i have a sense of humor" :bigsmile: or perhaps it was just the irony of it that i really found hilarious :wacko:

What was the irony, Blackpaw? Do you call it, "irony" that he hadn't been aware his country had been at war with the Nazis 50 years prior to his donning the costume for a fancy dress party? Or do you think he knew but didn't care about the British (and Commonwealth) loss of life?

Deb/AGBF

Deb, I just saw this now. The irony, i thought, is that the royal family is of German origin, and in fact changed their surname around the time of the first world war so that wasnt so obvious (correct me if im wrong royal jewels experts, i believe they're the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha?)...you're awful touch about a war that took place 65 years ago :))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Blackpaw|1291326747|2785487 said:
I wonder who Harry will end up with? I find him more appealing as he gets older too!

As long as he stays out of Nazi uniforms. That was a major turn-off for me. It kind of screamed, "I am a moron!".

Deb

haha, to me that kind of screamed "i have a sense of humor" :bigsmile: or perhaps it was just the irony of it that i really found hilarious :wacko:

What was the irony, Blackpaw? Do you call it, "irony" that he hadn't been aware his country had been at war with the Nazis 50 years prior to his donning the costume for a fancy dress party? Or do you think he knew but didn't care about the British (and Commonwealth) loss of life?

Deb/AGBF

Deb, I just saw this now. The irony, i thought, is that the royal family is of German origin, and in fact changed their surname around the time of the first world war so that wasnt so obvious (correct me if im wrong royal jewels experts, i believe they're the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha?)...you're awful touch about a war that took place 65 years ago :))

Being German isn't quite the same thing as being a Nazi. If he'd chosen to dress as Kaiser Wilhelm, I doubt anybody would have been offended, but the specific choice of costume was pretty stupid. Made me think a lot less of him, too.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1291329306|2785533 said:

Deb

Deb/AGBF

Being German isn't quite the same thing as being a Nazi. If he'd chosen to dress as Kaiser Wilhelm, I doubt anybody would have been offended, but the specific choice of costume was pretty stupid. Made me think a lot less of him, too.

More touchy-ness, im surprised people would go to the trouble of thinking about a teenagers costume choice at a private party so much :))

No-one has suggested being German is the same as being a nazi. But the royal family was sensitive enough to their German ties (and i believe they had plenty of ties to nazi officials) to change their name. So i can see an irony in a member of his family wearing such a costume.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Blackpaw|1291341580|2785718 said:

Deb

Deb/AGBF

More touchy-ness, im surprised people would go to the trouble of thinking about a teenagers costume choice at a private party so much :))

No-one has suggested being German is the same as being a nazi. But the royal family was sensitive enough to their German ties (and i believe they had plenty of ties to nazi officials) to change their name. So i can see an irony in a member of his family wearing such a costume.

You're either being deliberately oblivious, or "hilariously" provocative. No, I don't think the people who tortured my direct relatives to death are a source of humor, gallows or otherwise. I don't spend much time thinking about young Harry, but I have enough mental capacity to multi-task. Anybody who can't follow the nuance? Also manages to garner the space for pity! Congrats, there's plenty to go around.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1291341983|2785728 said:

Deb

Deb/AGBF

You're either being deliberately oblivious, or "hilariously" provocative. No, I don't think the people who tortured my direct relatives to death are a source of humor, gallows or otherwise. I don't spend much time thinking about young Harry, but I have enough mental capacity to multi-task. Anybody who can't follow the nuance? Also manages to garner the space for pity! Congrats, there's plenty to go around.

This is absolutely untrue. I made a comment about the IRONY of the costume being amusing and was surprised at the vehement reaction - i did not say that i thought nazism was hilarious. But you are being deliberately contentious trying to make this into an issue because you're, i dont know, bored? or just overly sensitive? Well it was never about what you'd like to make it about but im sure you'll try anyway...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Blackpaw|1291343226|2785767 said:
Circe|1291341983|2785728 said:

Deb

Deb/AGBF

This is absolutely untrue. I made a comment about the IRONY of the costume being amusing and was surprised at the vehement reaction - i did not say that i thought nazism was hilarious. But you are being deliberately contentious trying to make this into an issue because you're, i dont know, bored? or just overly sensitive? Well it was never about what you'd like to make it about but im sure you'll try anyway...

I'd suggest you look up the definition of irony. I'd also suggest you rethink dismissing people's honest reactions as "touchiness" with "ironic" smiley-faces. But this has gone far enough off-topic: the intelligent brother in engaged, and much joy to him.

:razz:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Deb

Deb/AGBF

Blackpaw, I just saw this just now...and I understand where you saw irony. As for my being touchy about a war that took place "65 years ago"...my dear girl! That was but yesterday! How old are you? My father, who is in the next room, fought in that war! As a little girl, when I missed him and he was at work, I used to go to the closet in my parents' bedroom and hug his pants (trousers for you Brits). The ones from his old army uniform, which was only a few years old and which he, being a thrifty man of his generation, naturally kept and wore. He also wore his old army T-shirts. He was in London and Liverpool and Paris. He was in London when the Germans were buzz bombing it. He followed the first troops into Paris after it was liberated. The war was not old to me, even if it is to you! I grew up hearing about how he cycled around Paris while he was there for a year. The people there were very poor. The main food the French ate, he said, was macaroni. They loved to get American chocolate bars.

Deb/AGBF

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blackpaw, I am just going to assume that you are young and know little history.

There are many many people who lived through World War II who are still alive, and remember what the Nazis did, in many countries. My father in particular would see men lined up on the streets 50 at a time to be shot down. He also got to witness his a man (basically his adopted father) being burned alive after the Germans firebombed his house, and shooting anyone who tried to rescue him. I don't think he would find royalty, in particular royalty who served on the Allied side wearing a Nazi uniform "humorous" but at the very least insensitive and insulting to many people whose lost their lives.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Sigh, yes im 'young', in my late twenties, but assuming that i am ignorant of history, without any ties to the Second World War or insensitive to the atrocities committed in war is an easy out.

My grandfathers (like most people of my generation) were both in World War 2, and the one who passed away some years ago now told me nothing but stories of that war, he had an aneurysm a few years after i was born and spoke of little else. And my father fought, and was shot, in the Vietnam War - he cannot talk about it at all. And for all this would i laugh at a joke about the Vietnam War? yes, and so would my Dad. Because holding onto hurt or anger about past events is unhealthy (and did the Allies not regret their treatment of post-WW1 Germany as it fueled the people's support for a leader like Hitler?). But thats my sense of humor i guess, ill see 'funny' in a lot of things, better than being offended and angry about things...

was his wearing the shirt (or being photographed wearing it more to the point) in poor taste? absolutely. It doesnt change the fact that there was a certain irony in it given his family history...

all this for a joke, that Deb, you say you understand? there's nothing wrong with seeing a joke in a costume, but there is something wrong with using it as a means to denigrate someone's character, education and age.

Circe, look up irony yourself, it fits the definition.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blackpaw wrote:

"all this for a joke, that Deb, you say you understand? there's nothing wrong with seeing a joke in a costume, but there is something wrong with using it as a means to denigrate someone's character, education and age."

Please do not misquote me. I said I understood your irony. In other words, I understood what you were attempting to do in this thread: to point out that the Windsor family has German origins so that if Prince Harry sports a Nazi uniform, it is ironic that it is a uniform that was worn by Germans like his own ancestors.

I never said I "saw a joke" in Prince Harry dressing like a Nazi. I also think that if Prince Harry dresses like a like a Nazi it he, not I, who is to blame for any aspersions cast upon his character. I didn't dress him, nor did I hold a gun to his head as he was dressing for the party. The young idiot did it all on his own.

AGBF

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Deb, I'm 100% with you and anyone else who thinks it was inappropriate for Harry to dress like that. It would have been inappropriate for anyone, let alone a public figure.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Deb

Deb/AGBF

Blackpaw, just so you'll know, this comment was tactless.

If people are taking exception to your posts, it's because of what you wrote. Trying to put it off on others is only digging yourself in deeper.

Actually, you should apologize to Deb, who didn't deserve your comment at all.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1290271886|2774006 said:
did she move it to the right hand for the photo?

Only if she parted her hair on the other side and he started to wear his watch on his right hand.... ;-)

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1291392481|2786271 said:

Deb

Deb/AGBF

Blackpaw, I just saw this just now...and I understand where you saw irony. As for my being touchy about a war that took place "65 years ago"...my dear girl! That was but yesterday! How old are you? My father, who is in the next room, fought in that war! As a little girl, when I missed him and he was at work, I used to go to the closet in my parents' bedroom and hug his pants (trousers for you Brits). The ones from his old army uniform, which was only a few years old and which he, being a thrifty man of his generation, naturally kept and wore. He also wore his old army T-shirts. He was in London and Liverpool and Paris. He was in London when the Germans were buzz bombing it. He followed the first troops into Paris after it was liberated. The war was not old to me, even if it is to you! I grew up hearing about how he cycled around Paris while he was there for a year. The people there were very poor. The main food the French ate, he said, was macaroni. They loved to get American chocolate bars.

Deb/AGBF

My father spent over two years in a German POW camp and came back, according to my mother, a completely different man physically and spiritually. He was an Air Force flyer.

Altho he was dead at the time Harry thought it was funny to attend a party as a Nazi, I was offended on my father's behalf. Didn't the boy have ANYONE around him to tell him that wasn't a good idea? Didn't he pay ay attention during various history/political classes?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I agree. One has to wonder why there apparently wasn't anyone around to give him good advice when he made that decision. And I don't care that it was a "private party." It wasn't so "private" that his photograph wasn't circulated all around the world wearing a Nazi uniform "costume." WWII, it shouldn't have to be said, wasn't just "a war that took place 65 years ago." It was a war that is notorious for the Nazi crime of genocide of over 6 million mainly Jews, but Catholics, gypsies, gays, and political dissidents, also. It is is utterly offensive that anyone would dress up like that and think that it was "fun," a "joke," or "ironic," period.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results