carat
color
clarity

Pricescope's new look

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you much, Andrey.

There are 21 things that generate an alert.
The default was all 21 are checked.

I disabled all 21.

Ahhhhhh ... peace and quiet! :dance:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The like does not have all those settings.

The purpose of the like feature is for people to let other know they appreciate the helpful posts or blingy image. I know sometimes people just want to say thanks for posting without creating a whole post just for that.

Andre, is there a setting so I don't have to participate in the whole "Like" popularity contest?
Can I not just not see how many Likes I, and others, got?
Can the Like button be removed from my posts so people are not rating me?

The whole Like thing strikes me as very juvenile and shallow, offensive even ... and yet another reason I've not joined facebook and those other things.

Last edited:

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Andre, is there a setting so I don't have to participate in the whole "Like" popularity contest?
Can I not just not see how many Likes I, and others, got?
Can the Like button be removed from my posts so people are not rating me?

The whole Like thing strikes me as very juvenile and shallow, offensive even ... and yet another reason I've not joined facebook and those other things.

Let me think about it a little.

What do other think?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andrey, over on RT missy wrote, ... "I was wondering if there was a way to turn off likes and trophy points as well. It is one feature I don't think will add anything to the forum and makes it feel like a popularity contest. ... "

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a good point, Kenny and Missy.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it having trouble reading the screen or selection of text?

I am sorry bit I am still having trouble understanding what you mean?

Its a bit of both.

Let me explain; If I'm using the website like everyone else but using JAWS, Its very hard to read through threads. When I'm reading through threads, I use CTRL + down or up arrow keys. I don't tend to do anything fancy like look for headings and the like as I noticed some of that wasn't in the old forum...lol sometimes you KISS right? Anyway tab for link skimming and use CTRL+down or up keys worked fine on the old forum. Thats not the case on the new forum. There is lots of nesting which makes it problematic for screen readers, if there's quoted material I get to read the nested tags but not always the text within the tags.

What I do for some sites when its not that easy to read (and I've done it here), I will use Firefox's Reader View which removes the design, and leaves text with some tags so you can tell what you're reading. Not perfect but does help. That also means that if I have JAWS on and want to respond, I have to flip back to Native Mode, meaning back to your design. doing that with this new design means I don't know where I actually end up (I've ended up in a few odd places that JAWS gets stuck on) The old forum didn't used to put me in weird spots nor would JAWS get stuck.

Also I notice what might be an underlying refresh of the forum because I will lose my typing spot and my cursor goes to the top of the screen.

Websites are a bit crazy, and updates even more so. I figured if you were asking I'd let you know what I'm having issues with. I will see if Magic is a better option here.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps the Like system could make everyone happy.
What if all possibilities were selectable Yes/No settings?
For example these could be choices offered to us in the settings menu:

Do you want to be able to Like the posts of others?
Do you want others to be able to Like your posts?
Do you want your # of Likes to be visible to you under your avatar?
Do you want to be able to see the # of Likes of others under their avatars (if they have not opted out)?
Do you want others to see the # of Likes you have?

... and any other settings anyone can think of.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
The trophy stuff was an oversite and it has been removed.

I want to give the like a chance. Please be patient with me on this. :)

My goal for it is to be used an appreciation feature, not a beauty pageant.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Its a bit of both.

Let me explain; If I'm using the website like everyone else but using JAWS, Its very hard to read through threads. When I'm reading through threads, I use CTRL + down or up arrow keys. I don't tend to do anything fancy like look for headings and the like as I noticed some of that wasn't in the old forum...lol sometimes you KISS right? Anyway tab for link skimming and use CTRL+down or up keys worked fine on the old forum. Thats not the case on the new forum. There is lots of nesting which makes it problematic for screen readers, if there's quoted material I get to read the nested tags but not always the text within the tags.

What I do for some sites when its not that easy to read (and I've done it here), I will use Firefox's Reader View which removes the design, and leaves text with some tags so you can tell what you're reading. Not perfect but does help. That also means that if I have JAWS on and want to respond, I have to flip back to Native Mode, meaning back to your design. doing that with this new design means I don't know where I actually end up (I've ended up in a few odd places that JAWS gets stuck on) The old forum didn't used to put me in weird spots nor would JAWS get stuck.

Also I notice what might be an underlying refresh of the forum because I will lose my typing spot and my cursor goes to the top of the screen.

Websites are a bit crazy, and updates even more so. I figured if you were asking I'd let you know what I'm having issues with. I will see if Magic is a better option here.

Thanks for giving me the details. I will see what can be done, but this might be a little more tricky. :)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me think about it a little.

What do other think?
I don't mind it, in fact I like it for the reason you gave Andrey. Sometimes I don't want to type a whole post reply but want to acknowledge someone's post. But I don't live or die by whether people on a forum like me or not obviously. :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I like...I need to redo my avatar because my picture looks like all mush!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andrey, you're the boss.
If Like is to then it is to stay; but you did invite feedback.

I get that you want it to be used only in a constructive way.
But people, here and everywhere, are not they way they should be.
They are the way they are, and some here have demonstrated adolescent behavior.
I have them on ignore, but they WILL use the Like system as a popularity contest.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andrey, you're the boss.
If Like is to stay I'll hush up.

I have them on ignore, but they WILL use the Like system as a popularity contest.

That's all I'll say.:shhh:

Yes I would like this post of I didn't dislike the like feature. ;-)
Seriously though I agree with Kenny's comments. This is what will happen. But as Kenny also wrote you are the boss Andrey and what you say goes and we will respect and abide by your decision. But I hope you will reconsider the like feature if possible.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the new format... except that it makes everyone's avatars look blurry. :oops:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andrey, you're the boss.
If Like is to stay I'll hush up.

That's all I'll say.:shhh:
How would we know that is what they are using it for? I guess I don't get what you mean. I only see it as a function for me to use to acknowledge someone's point or post. I would not be looking at people's avatar thingie to see how many likes they have.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay... just updated my avatar and it's fine. :shifty::shifty:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, I like the look. I have to change my avatar, but have no clue how to do it?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found 20 items that were listed under "alerts". Is there a 21st somewhere else? I don't like being bombarded by all the "messages", so I tried to turn off everything I could that was sending me any. Like kenny, I also wish I didn't have to endure the "like" function. I do not have and never will have, Facebook. I know that most people do and, therefore, are used to it. It sickens me, though.

I "had" to change my avatar photo because my daughter with the cello (my old picture) went out of focus when the avatar size changed. It was probably time for a change, though! (You do not have my favorite emoticon up, yet, Andrey. It's the blue winking icon.)

Deb/AGBF

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I like the look. I have to change my avatar, but have no clue how to do it?
I just changed mine by going to my profile. If you click on the avatar itself there should be an automatic window for you to change it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE the drag and drop feature for images.

I don't like the trophy feature like missy said I just don't think it adds anything to the experience.

I do think the like feature is sometimes useful when you want to acknowledge someone's post. I don't think it necessarily always means "I like what you said" or "I agree with what you said" but more "I saw this post." Of course you can't tell the difference so maybe it's not so useful after all. I think for the most part, we could do without it.

I like the "old style" emoticons rather then new bubbly faces (but that is so subjective and so minor.) Oh, you're missing one of my favorites! The face that looks like it's smirking. I don't know how to describe it. Let me see if I can find it.
clear.png
ETA: I looked in my old posts and that face is being replaced now with the one that looks like it's sleeping: ::)

Overall I am liking the changes and new features. Thank you.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(My quoting function isn't working now)

Redwood66 wrote, "How would we know that is what they are using it for? I guess I don't get what you mean. I only see it as a function for me to use to acknowledge someone's point or post. I would not be looking at people's avatar thingie to see how many likes they have."

A childish poster (or perhaps me, when not at my best) will only (or perhaps ALWAYS) Like posts of people they like, but never Like a post of a poster in a group they are not fond of, such as theist, atheist, liberal, conservative, uneducated, highly educated, gay, black, white, Southerner, Northerner, high-IQ, low-IQ.

Insecure people in groups may want to make their comrades appear to be ... well ... more liked.
Liking one from your group may feel like a vote for yourself.

I can imagine these people Liking the post of people not based on the content of that one post, but based on how much they like the poster.

I'll bet if you tested it ... A post posted by a popular member would get more Likes than the exact same post posted by a less-popular member.
... and here on PS we definitely have people who are more and less popular ... that's about the translate to higher and lower Like scores.
I'd strongly prefer a format that supports equality of posters, instead of ranking people with a score.

That's why if the Like system is to stay I will boycott it and never "Like" any post from anyone.
IMO every post should be judged by its content, not by the poster's lifetime score.

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(My quoting function isn't working now)

Redwood66 wrote, "How would we know that is what they are using it for? I guess I don't get what you mean. I only see it as a function for me to use to acknowledge someone's point or post. I would not be looking at people's avatar thingie to see how many likes they have."

A childish poster will only (or perhaps ALWAYS) Like posts of people they like, but never Like a post of a poster in a group they are not fond of, such as theist, atheist, liberal, conservative, uneducated, highly educated, gay, black, white, Southerner, Northerner, high-IQ, low-IQ.

Insecure people in groups may want to make comrades of that group seem to be ... well ... more liked.

I can imagine these people Liking the post of people not based on the content of that one post, but based on how much they like the poster.

etc. etc. etc.

That's why if the Like system is to stay I will boycott it and never "Like" any post from anyone.
IMO every post should be judged by its content, not by the 'rating' of the poster.

I guess that is possible but I don't worry too much about what is in other people's heads or their motivation for doing something. At least I know you don't have me on permanent ignore. :)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found 20 items that were listed under "alerts". Is there a 21st somewhere else? I don't like being bombarded by all the "messages", so I tried to turn off everything I could that was sending me any. Like kenny, I also wish I didn't have to endure the "like" function. I do not have and never will have, Facebook. I know that most people do and, therefore, are used to it. It sickens me, though.

I "had" to change my avatar photo because my daughter with the cello (my old picture) went out of focus when the avatar size changed. It was probably time for a change, though! (You do not have my favorite emoticon up, yet, Andrey. It's the blue winking icon.)

Deb/AGBF
Deb I love this pic of Griff!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pic of Griff is SO ADORABLE! He's like a big fluffy bear!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Perhaps the Like system could make everyone happy.
What if all possibilities were selectable Yes/No settings?
For example these could be choices offered to us in the settings menu:

Do you want to be able to Like the posts of others?
Do you want others to be able to Like your posts?
Do you want your # of Likes to be visible to you under your avatar?
Do you want to be able to see the # of Likes of others under their avatars (if they have not opted out)?
Do you want others to see the # of Likes you have?

... and any other settings anyone can think of.
I would prefer there not be a "like". I agree that it could inadvertently turn into a popularity contest.

Oops - din't mean to quote Kenny. I should automatically posted the old way. I forgot to go to the bottom of the page to reply.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Kenny. On other forums I visit, the Like option is definitely used to promote popularity. It becomes a vs. b very quickly. It can be discouraging to new posters as well. Not a fan.

Trudii

Rough_Rock
I know I'm sort of new here, but I really do love the new design. And my poor Charlie didn't turn out too fuzzy in his goggles.

I've been a mod on a board before and we disabled the "Likes" pretty quickly for many of the reasons people here cited. But that was a board that skewed fairly young and frankly there were some fairly heated disagreements so there was a 100% chance that "Liking" was going to be an unmitigated disaster. But I participate on another board where the "Like" feature is post specific, not person specific, and it helps highlight the most helpful comments in a thread. I don't know what the long term plan is here, but maybe there is some compromise where likes for posts remain but the lifetime total of likes is removed from below the avatar.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I'm sort of new here, but I really do love the new design. And my poor Charlie didn't turn out too fuzzy in his goggles.

I've been a mod on a board before and we disabled the "Likes" pretty quickly for many of the reasons people here cited. But that was a board that skewed fairly young and frankly there were some fairly heated disagreements so there was a 100% chance that "Liking" was going to be an unmitigated disaster. But I participate on another board where the "Like" feature is post specific, not person specific, and it helps highlight the most helpful comments in a thread. I don't know what the long term plan is here, but maybe there is some compromise where likes for posts remain but the lifetime total of likes is removed from below the avatar.
This might be a good idea because I want someone to see or me to see if a particular post is acknowledged but could not care less about the total likes under the avatar and name. To me doing this is the same as someone doing the +1 or ^this in a post reply. But there is not a post doing it to take up space.

Maybe just turn off the Like totals by the avatar and leave the function in the post part?

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results