shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricescopers, I really need your help again! Which one?

Oval vs Oval and halo vs solitaire question!

• Keep G IF .94, add a halo

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Keep G IF as is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get D 1.08 SI1 in pave setting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Currently, I have an oval with these specs:
G
IF
Depth: 60
Table: 56
Pol: EX
Sym: EX
Fluoro: faint
7.95*5.17*3.10
ratio: 1:54

I really love the oval I have! It's beautiful and sparkly, but I worry about DSS.
Would you consider returning for an oval with these specs:

D
SI1 (crystal on table)
Depth: 67.5
Table: 54
Pol: good
Sym: Very good
Floro: none
7.52*5.50*3.71
ratio: 1:37

Neither has a bowtie. My question is should I keep the G .94 IF and set it in a halo, or get the D 1.08 SI1 and wear it in my current eternity style shared prong setting. The .94 faces up .10mm larger than the 1.08. Because of the depth of the 1.08, I would not opt for a halo. I want to see what I paid for. However, the .94 is on the shallow side, and would work nicely in a halo.

The halo I want is .33 carat weight with melee around the front (obviously) and melee around the sides instead of plain metal. I will attach a pic. It would be ordered in an 8*6, so some gapping is unavoidable, but they will set it as low as possible.

Also, a picture of both ovals. First, the .94 (already set), then, the stock photo of the 1.08.

Thanks in advance!!

_11771.jpg

_11772.jpg

goval2.jpg

doval.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Return your oval. You've been flirting with too many other stones to commit to this guy.

I'm not sure I love that g, what was your budget again?

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
Just from those pictures, the faceting of the second stone is visually more appealing to me, but I think it's a waste to pay for the extra carat size that you won't see. Do you have ASET images of either stone?

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
If you are concerned about DSS, why are you considering the second one that faces up smaller. Besides, you said you won't halo second one, reducing an option to scratch DSS itch. However, I prefer fatter ovals. So maybe keep looking?

Shibalover

Rough_Rock
I have to agree with Niel that maybe the .94 just isn't the oval for you and having everyone say how beautiful it is makes it more difficult to make a decision? Just my opinion :) I think PS is a blessing and a curse when it comes to rings-blessing because there are so many educated people here who are extremely helpful but curse because it makes you second guess almost everything (so many beautiful rings and choices here). I would suggest returning the .94 at this point or take some time away from PS to make a decision on what you want and not based on other opinions. I hope you find your diamond as I know how incredibly frustrating this can be.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1384015272|3553405 said:
Return your oval. You've been flirting with too many other stones to commit to this guy.

I'm not sure I love that g, what was your budget again?

I'm so afraid to return it. I love so many things about it. My budget is $6,000 to 6,300 tops for the diamond. I'm going to kick myself if I return it and then feel stuck turning to a different shape because of my bowtie sensitivity.

Do you have any thoughts for a halo? I've went to Jared, Roger's, and Stafford, and they only offer peghead halos is 5x7 or 6x8. Obviously, I'd have to go with 6x8, leaving a gap of .4mm on each side. :-o

The D looks nice but it won't face up any bigger but depth helps. It will, however, be a chubbier oval.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
UberClaire|1384015652|3553406 said:
Just from those pictures, the faceting of the second stone is visually more appealing to me, but I think it's a waste to pay for the extra carat size that you won't see. Do you have ASET images of either stone?

I don't have ASET images, but the I have compared the .94 visually to an ideal cut round, and it performs almost as well.

onyx8

Rough_Rock
The G is more of an oval shape than than the D. I would set the G in a halo if you love it, otherwise, send it back and start over with your search. The D is not facing up bigger than the G so it's not going to cure your DSS.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:(

I don't want to sound insensitive as I've been in this situation and its terrible. But it just seems like you are trying to love it. But I don't think you do.

And also I don't mean to harp on an old point but I still think a marquise seems to tick most of your boxes. Similar shape to an oval. They are more thin and elongated like you like, face up huge. I know your hubby doesn't like them, you may not either, which I understand. It just seems like all the things you don't like about your other ovals could be resolved in a marquise. Ma be he just hasn't seen it in the right setting? I hate them too when in old 80s yg guards.

But ignore that I suppose just thinking out loud.

will you be happier if the deadline comes and you're stuck with it? And have no chance to continue looking? Maybe think about that?

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
I don't get the depth argument. When it's set, I don't think you're going to be appreciating the depth, and even if you can get a good side angle, I don't find the depth of a diamond to be one of the best visual qualities. If you go with the D, you're getting a smaller stone that you won't halo, so it will look even smaller than the one you have now. If you haven't seen the D in person, or seen an ASET, it's hard to know how it will perform.

How much of your budget is left to spend on the setting? Personally, I would not go with a company that won't fit the halo to your stone. I think the gap is really going to bother you. I've also heard very mixed reviews on the quality of what Jared's puts out.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
UberClaire|1384019736|3553435 said:
I don't get the depth argument. When it's set, I don't think you're going to be appreciating the depth, and even if you can get a good side angle, I don't find the depth of a diamond to be one of the best visual qualities. If you go with the D, you're getting a smaller stone that you won't halo, so it will look even smaller than the one you have now. If you haven't seen the D in person, or seen an ASET, it's hard to know how it will perform.

How much of your budget is left to spend on the setting? Personally, I would not go with a company that won't fit the halo to your stone. I think the gap is really going to bother you. I've also heard very mixed reviews on the quality of what Jared's puts out.

All great points, thank you!!

I'm not a Jared fan, at all. However, I could not find the setting I wanted anywhere but Jared. I wanted an eternity style semi mount. I love the setting. I love that it's thin, but sturdy, and has diamonds all around. I had no intentions of ever wanting a halo. After seeing so many ovals with halos, it feels like mine is naked, lol.

I checked around for peghead halos, and Jared wants $1200-$1500, Roger's wants to custom grow a mold ($600) and then another $1000 for the setting. Stafford wants $985, and said the gap of .4mm will be unnoticeable. :confused:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heidibrooke|1384029226|3553493 said:
UberClaire|1384019736|3553435 said:

All great points, thank you!!

I'm not a Jared fan, at all. However, I could not find the setting I wanted anywhere but Jared. I wanted an eternity style semi mount. I love the setting. I love that it's thin, but sturdy, and has diamonds all around. I had no intentions of ever wanting a halo. After seeing so many ovals with halos, it feels like mine is naked, lol.

I checked around for peghead halos, and Jared wants $1200-$1500, Roger's wants to custom grow a mold ($600) and then another $1000 for the setting. Stafford wants $985, and said the gap of .4mm will be unnoticeable. :confused:
Yeah that will l be noticeable.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are worried about DSS, I would stick with the diamond that shows more surface area. Maybe you already said but are you buying this diamond from a vendor that has a good upgrade policy? :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the setting isn't going to fit. You have to have a stone that is the right dimensions for a stock setting or else you have to have the halo custom made. It isn't going to look right with a gap. But I do prefer ovals in halos unless they are huge.

Are you within a return period? If so, return the diamond and start over. Is the setting returnable? I really think you need to start over. The second stone is not the solution. I'd stick with G and go down to VS2 or SI1 and attempt to get a larger size stone. I will say that I think the ratio is better on the second diamond, but I don't like that the height is less than the .94.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1384043394|3553598 said:
I agree that the setting isn't going to fit. You have to have a stone that is the right dimensions for a stock setting or else you have to have the halo custom made. It isn't going to look right with a gap. But I do prefer ovals in halos unless they are huge.

Are you within a return period? If so, return the diamond and start over. Is the setting returnable? I really think you need to start over. The second stone is not the solution. I'd stick with G and go down to VS2 or SI1 and attempt to get a larger size stone. I will say that I think the ratio is better on the second diamond, but I don't like that the height is less than the .94.

I've been diligently searching for 2 months and have compared so many ovals (online and various jewelers) and have only seen two ovals without a Bowtie. I'm very sensitive to them. So, going down in clarity isn't going to help me at this point. My setting isn't returnable, and I love it. I got a quote for $1500 for a custom made halo (made by wax mold). I just don't know how any jeweler sells any semi mount halos. I know all rounds are not exactly 6.5mm, you know? Just like no oval is exactly 8X6.

Btw, the new vintage round you posted is breathtaking!! :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heidibrooke|1384044059|3553604 said:

I've been diligently searching for 2 months and have compared so many ovals (online and various jewelers) and have only seen two ovals without a Bowtie. I'm very sensitive to them. So, going down in clarity isn't going to help me at this point. My setting isn't returnable, and I love it. I got a quote for $1500 for a custom made halo (made by wax mold). I just don't know how any jeweler sells any semi mount halos. I know all rounds are not exactly 6.5mm, you know? Just like no oval is exactly 8X6.

Ive found 3 good quality 11x5+ mm D-E 1ct marquise without bowties that are currently on james allen within your budget.

But even if you arent interested in those, still goes to show if you take your time these types of cuts are out there. Dont settle just to get it done.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any way you could hold off on the purchase until you've got more $ to put towad the diamond? It seems that at the root of all the halo DSS, depth etc., is the wish for a larger stone. I'm a big believer in getting what you really want but not necessarily right away. And I looked for two years for my most recent diamond.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1384044911|3553608 said:

Ive found 3 good quality 11x5+ mm D-E 1ct marquise without bowties that are currently on james allen within your budget.

But even if you arent interested in those, still goes to show if you take your time these types of cuts are out there. Dont settle just to get it done.

I've found a few ovals that I think don't have bowties until I see them in person. Sometimes a bowtie can appear light gray or even non existent. Bowties are ok for most people, but it's all I can focus on, when on my own finger. Marquises are pretty in certain settings, but not the shape for me.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heidibrooke|1384054089|3553661 said:

I've found a few ovals that I think don't have bowties until I see them in person. Sometimes a bowtie can appear light gray or even non existent. Bowties are ok for most people, but it's all I can focus on, when on my own finger. Marquises are pretty in certain settings, but not the shape for me.

OK well my point is still that you don't seem to like this stone. And come next week you won't be able to shop around anymore. If you have to buy one now then keep it. But I do think you might be disappointed come next week when you realize there nothing to be done.

And yes marquise aren't for everyone. But like I said, its to make a point that you don't have to settle, as that type of cut is out there without bowties

If you do keep it leave it in that setting sans halo. In a few years when you have money and DSS has really set in, you can get a good halo that fits your stone.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1384087180|3553745 said:
Heidibrooke|1384054089|3553661 said:

OK well my point is still that you don't seem to like this stone. And come next week you won't be able to shop around anymore. If you have to buy one now then keep it. But I do think you might be disappointed come next week when you realize there nothing to be done.

And yes marquise aren't for everyone. But like I said, its to make a point that you don't have to settle, as that type of cut is out there without bowties

If you do keep it leave it in that setting sans halo. In a few years when you have money and DSS has really set in, you can get a good halo that fits your stone.

Thanks for all your suggestions, Niel. Dh and I are going to nail down a plan today. Neither of us have seen anything we like as well as this oval (I've seen a lot more than he has). He has been searching online, during his down times at work. He wants to upgrade my diamond in a few years. Right now, I feel I wouldn't want to do that, but I could change my mind, and that would put me in the $10K range and open up a lot more options. We'll see. Again, thanks for all your help!! :)

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Since your stones are from JA, you should have upgrading policy right? If so, keep the oval you prefer more in current setting. I prefer your second choice. You will lose money if you reset so use your current setting. Besides, neither of these stones is your true love, so just wear either as transition stone till you upgrade when you find the one. Then you spend money on a forever setting. I think many of us on PS are like that :Up_to_something:

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Ashleigh|1384089221|3553759 said:
Since your stones are from JA, you should have upgrading policy right? If so, keep the oval you prefer more in current setting. I prefer your second choice. You will lose money if you reset so use your current setting. Besides, neither of these stones is your true love, so just wear either as transition stone till you upgrade when you find the one. Then you spend money on a forever setting. I think many of us on PS are like that :Up_to_something:

Yes, JA has the double up upgrade policy. :naughty: I will likely keep the IF stone because I'm gonna be honest, I love viewing it with my loupe. :love: It's so perfect inside. I am probably adding a halo, and if I do upgrade, it will not be hard to find an 8x6 gemstone to set in my current setting. Thanks for voting/replying!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results