shape
carat
color
clarity

Price Differences vs. Quality: Leon Mege v. Taffin v. Garrard

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I know I keep saying I''m done with this discussion but I just remembered a thread I''ve bookmarked forever because it used to be the ering I thought I wanted, in the setting I wanted. Personally speaking, if the stone is "all that", I dont know why you''d want to divert attention from it with pave or anything else! This thread shows what I consider to be the ultimate Asscher setting, bar none.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/royal-asscher.22605/

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t heard of or seen Taffin or Garrard but I have seen a Leon in person and was able to compare it directly to a Michael beaudry and Michael b. I don''t know what your opinions are of those designers but they carry high premiums for their pave work and are well respected in the industry. I can tell you that the quality of the Leon I saw was just as good as the other two. 5K for a gorgeous Leon or 10K for a gorgeous Taffina and what seems to be your peace of mind might just be worth it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 5:17:09 PM
Author: fanboy
I would think, though, that craftsmanship isn''t always visible but may have more to do with the long-term integrity of the piece.
Have Mege make a back-up ...

Seriously .. how long has this James guy been doing this? Has the "long term" integrity of his pieces even been tested? Years of experience is another quantifiable aspect by which to judge ... though I''m not leaping up to do the research.
31.gif

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 5:21:42 PM
Author: decodelighted

Have Mege make a back-up ...

Seriously .. how long has this James guy been doing this? Has the ''long term'' integrity of his pieces even been tested? Years of experience is another quantifiable aspect by which to judge ... though I''m not leaping up to do the research.
31.gif
Ha, you''re right. I could totally use the extra money to have a second back-up ring made.

James de Givenchy has been designing jewelry for his firm ''Taffin'' since the late ''90s. Before that, he worked at Christie''s and Verdura. His uncle is Hubert de Givenchy, the French fashion designer. Taffin''s jewelry has been rated ''Best of the Year'' multiple times by Robb Report; his pieces are regularly auctioned by Sotheby''s and Christie''s; and recently, Sotheby''s selected Taffin to make jewelry using the rare stones from its debut collection.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2007 4:49:22 PM
Author: surfgirl

Date: 6/21/2007 4:41:16 PM
I don''t really know if Taffin''s quality is ''better''. I suppose that''s what I''m asking: is there a quality difference?
I think you''ve answered your own question. If you cant see the difference, then there''s your answer. If you cant see Leon''s better in this way and that, then he''s not your guy. You said many times you love the Taffin and it''s better in this way and that, so to me, you''ve made up your mind. Just get the ring set.

ETA: Going back to the issue of collector value that widget brings up...*waves*, I will state again that I dont think buying an ering as an investment is a valid path to tread as jewelery isn''t a very good investment unless you''re buying an ''important'' piece that the world will clamor for in the decades ahead (think Hope Diamond, etc.). I dont think diamonds below many carats (and of the highest quality) are worth considering as investments and the settings, while perhaps lovely, aren''t really going to bring in the bucks in the future, regardless of who''s made them. I mean, a Tiffany ring holds it''s basic value but it''s not like people are making hug profits from selling a name brand high end ring. They''re just making more than the average Joe is when s/he tries to sell an old ering.
There are quite a few (small) extremely talented jewelry designers out there making waves in the "art-world".
Their creations are one-of-a-kind jewels in the sense of craftsmanshi[p or the gems they pick. And connoisseurs around the world see these pieces as "Art"!
Taffin is only a part of that list..., just to name a few: Bruce Hoeksema (NY-Rome), Lorenz Baumer (Paris), Ricardo Basta (B.H.), Solange Azagury Partridge (London)... and the list goes on......

Tiffany''s (your example) are more of a mass-producer in regards to the majority of their jewels, their quality is amazing... both in the craftsmanship and the Gems, especialy for the quantities they produce and market...

But Tiffany have their one-of-a-kind jewelry too, and you can be certain that a majority of these one-of-a-kind jewelry will appreciate in value in the near or far future.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe you should pay Taffin and Leon Mege one more visit to help make your mind up. Although honestly, I highly doubt that a Taffin micropave ring is somehow more structurally sound than a Leon Mege micropave ring if that''s what''s really worrying you. Anyways, that''s what insurance is for.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If thin one-sided pave is the direction you're going ... you could really skip this whole bespoke biz & get the very beautiful Ritani Endless Love micropave solitare.

If we're pondering "is Taffin worth 5K more than Mege?" is it out of line to ponder "Is Mege worth 3K more than Ritani?" Have you seen non-bespoke, regular old "designer" settings in person & ruled them out??

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
I''ve looked at Ritani; personally, Leon Mege''s work is noticeably better to my eye.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Plan D ...

ritanimicrosq.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. And I mean Wow.

Here''s the advice I''m giving you. Go with Taffin. You can afford him. You like him better than Leon. It''s bespoke. Just make the choice already and LET IT GO.

You seem like a serious micro managing type A control Freak. We have many of those on here. I might be one of them, not that I''d admit to it. But in the end. IT IS A RING.

Not brain surgury you are commisioning. The ring isn''t going to make your relationship better, or worse... it''s not going to add any value to your relationship AT ALL. Except as a symbol of your commitment to another. A .5 carat solitare does that.

So you want something special, you want something unique you want to do this for her... YAY you. You are great. But seriously, you need to take a deep breath and get some perspective on this.

There is a phenomenon called Bridezilla''s ... you are now the un-engaged male equivalent. And trust me... in the end all that matters is the relationship, and the marriage. Not these agonizing minusule insignificant details.

Off the soapbox and going to get some pie.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
mmmm....pie....

i think it is a sign when you have couple of attorneys telling you you''re overanalyzing...

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 5:30:12 PM
Author: DiaGem
Date: 6/21/2007 4:49:22 PM

Date: 6/21/2007 4:41:16 PM

I don''t really know if Taffin''s quality is ''better''. I suppose that''s what I''m asking: is there a quality difference?

I think you''ve answered your own question. If you cant see the difference, then there''s your answer. If you cant see Leon''s better in this way and that, then he''s not your guy. You said many times you love the Taffin and it''s better in this way and that, so to me, you''ve made up your mind. Just get the ring set.

ETA: Going back to the issue of collector value that widget brings up...*waves*, I will state again that I dont think buying an ering as an investment is a valid path to tread as jewelery isn''t a very good investment unless you''re buying an ''important'' piece that the world will clamor for in the decades ahead (think Hope Diamond, etc.). I dont think diamonds below many carats (and of the highest quality) are worth considering as investments and the settings, while perhaps lovely, aren''t really going to bring in the bucks in the future, regardless of who''s made them. I mean, a Tiffany ring holds it''s basic value but it''s not like people are making hug profits from selling a name brand high end ring. They''re just making more than the average Joe is when s/he tries to sell an old ering.
There are quite a few (small) extremely talented jewelry designers out there making waves in the ''art-world''.

Their creations are one-of-a-kind jewels in the sense of craftsmanshi[p or the gems they pick. And connoisseurs around the world see these pieces as ''Art''!

Taffin is only a part of that list..., just to name a few: Bruce Hoeksema (NY-Rome), Lorenz Baumer (Paris), Ricardo Basta (B.H.), Solange Azagury Partridge (London)... and the list goes on......

Tiffany''s (your example) are more of a mass-producer in regards to the majority of their jewels, their quality is amazing... both in the craftsmanship and the Gems, especialy for the quantities they produce and market...

But Tiffany have their one-of-a-kind jewelry too, and you can be certain that a majority of these one-of-a-kind jewelry will appreciate in value in the near or far future.
Diagem, I''m not disagreeing with you, what I was trying to get at without spelling it out is that I dont think a less than 2ct ering in a Taffin setting is going to be such an incredible investment. That''s all. It''s a nice ring in the end. But I dont think it''s going to be considered a "valuable collectors piece". Just a really pretty ering.

Okay, I''m finished truly now.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2007 4:23:33 PM
Author: widget

Well, fanboy...you''re way outa my league.

I''m a die-hard Leon fan...he''s done two rings for me, and I''ll be going back. I KNOW he does work for several high-end ''status'' jewelers, at least one of which is well known by all. I figure if he''s good enough for them, he''s good enough for me.

I don''t understand your comment about his design work not being up to par with the others. You are planning on a pretty basic ''classic'' design, aren''t you? Or are you thinking of getting some kind of different ''signature'' piece from one of these designers? I wouldn''t DREAM of spending that much on a classic mounting.

Didn''t DiaGem say something about Taffin being the next JAR? If it''s true, then I suppose a ring by them has some sort of extra ''collector'' value....maybe...

widget
I can vouch for that....
But PSers..., I feel you are losing your patience with fanboy....
It seems a lot of you are being over-protective in regards to the "Jewelers" that are circulating here in PS....

But there is a world full of jewelers out there!

And some are good too!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s more about losing patience than it is about being protective! I mean, I just started reading this thread and I''m already like "Just pick a designer already-it''s only a ring!"

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 6:08:26 PM
PSers..., I feel you are losing your patience with fanboy....It seems a lot of you are being over-protective in regards to the ''Jewelers'' that are circulating here in PS....
Losing patience ... maybe
2.gif
.. but over-protective of jewelers? I don''t think so at all. We''re just out of our depth COMPARING QUALITY of unknown-to-us jewelers. MANY of us have said "Go Taffin" -- it''s the only way he''s ever going to "know" what that *would have been like* ... and since Fanboy seems to share the same aesthetic sensibilities & is tantalized by the status & rankings & potential "discovery" of the-next-big-thing --- by all means, as I said before "Consider the 5K a sanity tax".

I''ll also say that if I was spending 40K on MYSELF ... no way in heaven or earth would I buy a 1.9ish D color, VVS2 RA & put it in a 10K bespoke micropave setting. I just WOULDN''T. I would want the biggest, fattest well-cut asscher that faced up white & didn''t show inclusions to the naked eye & I''d pop that three carat plus baby in a Leon-made Harry Winston-ish(
2.gif
)double claw solitare setting and BE freakin done already.
9.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2007 6:02:30 PM

Date: 6/21/2007 5:30:12 PM

There are quite a few (small) extremely talented jewelry designers out there making waves in the ''art-world''.

Their creations are one-of-a-kind jewels in the sense of craftsmanshi[p or the gems they pick. And connoisseurs around the world see these pieces as ''Art''!

Diagem, I''m not disagreeing with you, what I was trying to get at without spelling it out is that I dont think a less than 2ct ering in a Taffin setting is going to be such an incredible investment. That''s all. It''s a nice ring in the end. But I dont think it''s going to be considered a ''valuable collectors piece''. Just a really pretty ering.

Okay, I''m finished truly now.
You still dont get my point...

The less than 2ct. Diamond is not the issue..., the creation designed to hold and compliment the ''less than 2ct.'' is the issue...

If you have a chance... study some results on sales of jewelry in this category sold by auction houses...
You can clearly see that some of these creations are sold WAY over estimates, and WAY over the actual value of the Gems themselves....

And again..., I am not talking about Taffin only!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really haven''t commented at all in this thread, mainly because I don''t know the quality of product that Taffin puts out. So have no clue if it''s worth the extra 5K. He''s seen their work and Leon''s. I say, go for what you love. To me, 10K on a setting isn''t within my realm of thinking, but hey different strokes for different folks. Good luck fanboy, can''t wait to see your ring once it''s finished. And next time I am in NYC, I am going to check out Taffin. Never heard the name before, shows you how little I know.
20.gif

BUT, will throw this out, Leon made a beautiful ring for me. It''s a RHR, no pave, very simple 3 stone...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2007 6:20:51 PM

Date: 6/21/2007 6:08:26 PM
PSers..., I feel you are losing your patience with fanboy....It seems a lot of you are being over-protective in regards to the ''Jewelers'' that are circulating here in PS....
Losing patience ... maybe
2.gif
.. but over-protective of jewelers? I don''t think so at all. We''re just out of our depth COMPARING QUALITY of unknown-to-us jewelers. MANY of us have said ''Go Taffin'' -- it''s the only way he''s ever going to ''know'' what that *would have been like* ... and since Fanboy seems to share the same aesthetic sensibilities & is tantalized by the status & rankings & potential ''discovery'' of the-next-big-thing --- by all means, as I said before ''Consider the 5K a sanity tax''.

I''ll also say that if I was spending 40K on MYSELF ... no way in heaven or earth would I buy a 1.9ish D color, VVS2 RA & put it in a 10K bespoke micropave setting. I just WOULDN''T. I would want the biggest, fattest well-cut asscher that faced up white & didn''t show inclusions to the naked eye & I''d pop that three carat plus baby in a Leon-made Harry Winston-ish(
2.gif
9.gif
I am certain the majority would too...
But thank goodness for clients that think otherwise...

That is the beauty of this business..., its all about illusions!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 6:20:51 PM

2.gif
9.gif
Oh, Deco . . . I''m so glad you said this!!! I''ve been thinking the EXACT same thing but didn''t have the guts to post. You are my hero.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess in my own setting insanity the 10K mark for a setting isn't over the top for me b/c the one i'm getting is up there in price too
39.gif
But, for me it was more about who made exactly what I wanted and if I was willing to settle for something close or just save and pay the designer his due for the crazy cost of the setting. I have no idea if it will ever be worth something down the road or not, It's for my pleasure and I've waited a loooooooong time for it.

I haven't lost patience with fanboy, I'm just over my head in the design world he's working in.

40K for me would have been my secret forever love of a daniel k cushion splitcrown and if that ain't paying for a name, nothing is
3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 6:51:37 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I guess in my own setting insanity the 10K mark for a setting isn''t over the top for me b/c the one i''m getting is up there in price too
39.gif
Mild hijack-sies ... Mrssalvo ... what have I missed??? I thought your husband was picking it out?? Is something ordered? Which designer? What what what??!!!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 7:12:10 PM

Mild hijack-sies ... Mrssalvo ... what have I missed??? I thought your husband was picking it out?? Is something ordered? Which designer? What what what??!!!!!

deco, hubby is picking it out, but, I only gave him 3 choices and then gradually took away every option but one
11.gif
. I ended up choosing a Michael B setting I saw at his store in LA. Hubby is in charge of all the rest so as to the timing, I really have no idea
33.gif
39.gif
2.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
In the interest of PSers future education it is your duty to go with Taffin, so we can see the results.
31.gif

IMHO I think you need to go with someone you can work with as well as liking their work!

I don''t think it''s a problem spending 1/3 of the budget on the setting - I spent over twice what FI spent on the stone on my setting (tsav not diamond centre though).

You sound like you need perfection - do you need a custom design or just good craftsmanship on an existing design? If it''s the latter and you are into quality rather than name recognition you may find others out there who can do a great job. I do feel your heart is already with Taffin. Your $$$, your ring, your call....

Oh, and lucky girl!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does Taffin have a website, I can''t find it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coming from someone who spent months (my fellow PSers will attest to this) finding the *perfect* setting for which I happily paid more than $10K (and I can't even THINK about the process of finding the diamond to begin with because that just gives me--and everyone else--a headache... ) I'm with Gypsy on this one. Although I do hope you go with the Taffin becuase I'd love to see the finished product.

BTW, my *perfect* setting isn't *perfect*. Are you prepared to deal with that? (Sorry, I HAD to throw that out there becuase any truly custom piece will end out differently that the picture that you paint in your own mind.)

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the ongoing input, everyone. Believe it or not, this is helpful.

Taffin''s website is: www.taffin.com. But it won''t help you much; it only provides a number to call for appointments. If you want to see some examples of his work try: www.fashion-planet.com/sept98/features/taffin/home.html. It''s dated, but you can get an idea of his style. Also try: www.sothebysdiamonds.com. Go to ''COLLECTION'', then ''JAMES DE GIVENCHY FOR SOTHEBY''S DIAMONDS''.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many thanks!!!
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Holy smokes....
23.gif
....I just finished looking at J de Givenchy''s designs for Sothebys.

Truly truly amazing designs!
30.gif

OK...I take it all back. I''d go to him. But I''d want him to design a mounting for my stone, and not ask that he do a simple classic pave solitaire.

widget

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 10:59:31 PM
Author: widget
Holy smokes....
23.gif
....I just finished looking at J de Givenchy''s designs for Sothebys.

Truly truly amazing designs!
30.gif

OK...I take it all back. I''d go to him. But I''d want him to design a mounting for my stone, and not ask that he do a simple classic pave solitaire.
Actually, James had the same idea for my diamond as I did. The common principle underyling his jewelry is to show off the gems. If he could somehow create something without showing any metal, that''s what he would do.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I think that view...of showcasing the stone with as little metal showing as possible...is a pretty common credo among fine jewelers. I know it''s Leon''s view (he says so on his website), and I''ve heard it from others as well.

widget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results