shape
carat
color
clarity

Pretty Sure Kay is Trying to Dupe Me!

M

MTHealthyLiving

Are you in the return window? Wondering if you actually have to dispute it. If you do, Kay’s website says the ring has NL’s signature and since yours doesn’t the item isn’t as described. If Kay doesn’t let you return I would try your CC company next.

I am in the return window, but they’re going to have to replace it with a genuine NL band. That’s where the dispute is.

M

MTHealthyLiving

I see the difference. After hearing the horror stories that abound, I believe that there is no low to which Kay will not stoop. Return it. And stop going there, it's like throwing money away.

After this Kay will no longer get my business. I will find good, private jewelers in our state.

M

MTHealthyLiving

If they say that it is NL, but there is no stamp (as there is on all other NL stuff) then it isn't NL. Even buying a brand on sale should still be "the brand" right? Otherwise, it's like charging MORE for the generic version, while CLAIMING its the brand ON SALE. Not cool. Definitely unethical and possibly illegal.

My thoughts exactly!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At a guess, I'd say that in the short time between when you bought the first band and the second, Kay's downsized the item to save costs. Selling it as the exact same item is deceiving and wrong. The lack of the NL maker's mark in a separate, but equally important issue. You certainly have a case for return and refund. I'm sorry you didn't get the ring you expected to be buying.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They don't necessarily make these with the degree of quality control you might hope for. Possibly it is an unauthorized, knock-off, but far more likely it is just an example that few mass produced items are identical. Generally, they don't need to be identical, but just highly similar. That is what I believe I see in the pictures. A lack of a maker's mark is problematic, for sure. I'd agree that you ought to be totally happy about the authenticity issue. There ought to be no problem getting someone's attention over that dilemma. You are certainly entitled to the BRAND specified by the advertising. Even so, there may be some variance in appearance between one ring and another within the same production company.

This. Exactly.
OP, just return it and go to Jared, since it was mentioned that they are less expensive on NL.

M

MTHealthyLiving

At a guess, I'd say that in the short time between when you bought the first band and the second, Kay's downsized the item to save costs. Selling it as the exact same item is deceiving and wrong. The lack of the NL maker's mark in a separate, but equally important issue. You certainly have a case for return and refund. I'm sorry you didn't get the ring you expected to be buying.

But I’ve actually tried to purchase three... one on sale, then one full price, then another one on sale. The only genuine NL band was the one I paid full price for.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please tell someone the reason you're returning it is because it is not a Neil Lane band like you ordered and paid for. They will keep doing this to other people WHO DIDNT ALSO BUY ONE AT FULL PRICE AND WHO WONT EVER KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. But you do know. You need to out them.

It's bad business practice, misleading, and unscrupulous.

M

MTHealthyLiving

Please tell someone the reason you're returning it is because it is not a Neil Lane band like you ordered and paid for. They will keep doing this to other people WHO DIDNT ALSO BUY ONE AT FULL PRICE AND WHO WONT EVER KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. But you do know. You need to out them.

It's bad business practice, misleading, and unscrupulous.

I totally agree with you, just not quite sure how to go about it. I kinda despise those people that go all public on Facebook with complaints, but I do think it’s effective. I just have to be really careful because we own a business in a small town, and in the past when I’ve given bad reviews (I’m actually a product reviewer on the side), I got eaten alive by the locals.
Then there’s the “Why didn’t you buy it locally” crowd... it becomes quite a nightmare.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I’ve actually tried to purchase three... one on sale, then one full price, then another one on sale. The only genuine NL band was the one I paid full price for.

Oh, you did say that, but I didn't catch it. A third issue, and another serious one. I suppose the only way to "prove," to yourself, anyway, that it's a full price vs. discount/sale price deception, would to be to go ahead and buy another full price, but that's a lot of work for you. Sheesh. No cool, Kay's, not cool.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell the manager at Kay's when you request a real NL or a complete refund. In person. or tell someone (manager-level) at Neil lane by phone. Don't tell yelp or the Internet. (Unless they stonewall you...)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it possible that Neil Lane is actually making this inferior band for Kay to sell only during their sales? I don't mean to stock regularly, but only to sell during a sale? Others mentioned something like this but I'm not sure if we are thinking of the same thing. I don't have a clue if this happens in the jewelry business but it certainly happens with clothing. Considering that you bought 3 and the only one that seems "right" is the one you paid full price for, it seems to me that this is what is happening.

Last edited:
M

MTHealthyLiving

Is it possible that Neil Lane is actually making this inferior band for Kay to sell only during their sales? I don't mean to stock regularly, but only to sell during a sale? Others mentioned something like this but I'm not sure if we are thinking of the same thing. I don't have a clue if this happens in the jewelry business but it certainly happens with clothing. Considering that you bought 3 and the only one that seems "right" is the one you paid full price for, it seems to me that this is what is happening.

I suppose it’s possible, but how can they market it and sell it as a NL, when it isn’t? They didn’t change any of the info on the website when it went on sale, so as a customer I assumed I was getting a NL with a signature, the same diamond quality, mm size, detail, etc.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not suggesting that NL didn't make it. I'm suggesting that NL made a "sale" model for Kay to sell. Lower quality; lower price; but in the end Kay makes the same profit. I wouldn't think this was not one of their marketing strategies given their reputation. You think you are getting something on sale, but you are actually getting something close, but not really like, what is normally sold. Even made by the same "brand". Maybe that is why there is no mark or no NL box, etc. So they can differentiate. But you take them to court and you find out, "wow" NL actually did make this. But to different standards. Just trying to think of possibilities of how they can get away with things like this and the above seems like it could happen. Unless their ad says that the ring has the NL signature and the NL box then it might be up to you to try to establish that NL didn't actually make it. Nevertheless, return it. And walk far away from Kay, Jared or any company affiliated with them.

M

MTHealthyLiving

I'm not suggesting that NL didn't make it. I'm suggesting that NL made a "sale" model for Kay to sell. Lower quality; lower price; but in the end Kay makes the same profit. I wouldn't think this was not one of their marketing strategies given their reputation. You think you are getting something on sale, but you are actually getting something close, but not really like, what is normally sold. Even made by the same "brand". Maybe that is why there is no mark or no NL box, etc. So they can differentiate. But you take them to court and you find out, "wow" NL actually did make this. But to different standards. Just trying to think of possibilities of how they can get away with things like this and the above seems like it could happen. Unless their ad says that the ring has the NL signature and the NL box then it might be up to you to try to establish that NL didn't actually make it. Nevertheless, return it. And walk far away from Kay, Jared or any company affiliated with them.

This is what I ordered 3 times.
The description of the item was never changed. It always indicated, as it does now, that the NL signature is on the ring.
http://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/r6-r...mond-wedding-band-1-6-carat-tw-14k-white-gold

M

MTHealthyLiving

UPDATE:

Someone here asked for an update, so I'm finally getting around to posting. :)

I made several complaints about the fact that I was being sold something different than advertised, and was told each time I would hear back from a representative. I never received a phone call or email.
I did send the ring back, and was given a full refund, so there's at least that. I will NEVER be purchasing from Kay again. My wedding band is Kay (hey, we were young and had NO idea about jewelry), and that will forever stay, but I am thinking of selling the one real NL band I do have. I kind of hate looking at it knowing how I could have gotten something so much better for probably a better price.
But anyway, lesson learned. If not for this community, I would probably forever be shopping at Kay, not being any the wiser. So thank you all! :)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE:

Someone here asked for an update, so I'm finally getting around to posting. :)

I made several complaints about the fact that I was being sold something different than advertised, and was told each time I would hear back from a representative. I never received a phone call or email.
I did send the ring back, and was given a full refund, so there's at least that. I will NEVER be purchasing from Kay again. My wedding band is Kay (hey, we were young and had NO idea about jewelry), and that will forever stay, but I am thinking of selling the one real NL band I do have. I kind of hate looking at it knowing how I could have gotten something so much better for probably a better price.
But anyway, lesson learned. If not for this community, I would probably forever be shopping at Kay, not being any the wiser. So thank you all! :)

I'm glad you got your money back. A lot of brands these days do make different lines of quality but usually they at least sell them through different stores. Like how Coach for example sends their nicer purses to high-end department stores and similar but more cheaply made versions to their outlet stores and then "marks them down" so people feel they're getting an amazing deal. Sounds like Neil Lane is playing that same game with Kay and glad you called them on it but not surprising neither party was willing to do much about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results